Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

jivjov posted:

This man literally wants to murder those who burn his precious flag.

Yet I'm sure he'd be first in line to condemn these people.

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The thing that bugs me the most is honestly the veteran thing. Like...no offense to any veterans whatsoever....but what the heck does their opinion on flag burning matter? Generic "the veterans" don't set law or policy. And veterans aren't flags; burning a flag says nothing about veterans or the burner's opinion thereof.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

jivjov posted:

In the wake of Donald Trump's tweet about wanting flag burners to either be jailed or lose their citizenship, I've seen a LOT of anti-flag burning rhetoric pop up on facebook. I could fill several pages of this thread with it. Most of it is the bog standard "The flag is too sacred", "If you hate america then just leave", or (my favorite) "Won't someone please think of the poor veterans whose feelings will be hurt by a burning flag".

But interspersed through those is the occasional "If I see anyone burning a flag, I'll kick their rear end!" post. Threatening violent bodily harm against someone who has done nothing wrong is great...right? But this right here just takes the cake:

"I respect the right for someone to use their first amendment" but I will murder them if they do. How exactly is this "respect?"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

jivjov posted:

The thing that bugs me the most is honestly the veteran thing. Like...no offense to any veterans whatsoever....but what the heck does their opinion on flag burning matter? Generic "the veterans" don't set law or policy. And veterans aren't flags; burning a flag says nothing about veterans or the burner's opinion thereof.

THEY KEPT AMERICA SAFE! If it weren't for veterans, there would be no America. We are under constant existential threat from all directions and the only reason America still exists is because of our aggressive foreign policy of fighting them there so we don't have to fight them here.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jivjov posted:

It bugs the poo poo out of me on all sorts of issues.

Military service has given me special insight on a small set of issues, and on those issues it'd be wise to defer to my experience.

If I say "As a veteran, my opinion on East Timor..." you should ask me to explain why the heck I am acting like an expert or special authority.

But if I say "As a veteran, let me tell you some good tricks to get things flowing when you have to provide a urine sample..." you might want to listen up.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

This has started making the rounds on my family/co-workers Facebooks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW85ZcswiqM

As if I needed any more reason to hate the Christmas season.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I had a guy tell me that the first amendment only exists because soldiers died for it.

I wanted to tell him that those rights only exist because we are endowed with them by Our Creator but I am guessing that he will say that he works for God.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

jivjov posted:

Ostensibly, their sacrifices are what protect the people of the United States' freedoms. It is therefore the highest insult to ever use those freedoms.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

jivjov posted:

In the wake of Donald Drumpf's tweet about wanting flag burners to either be jailed or lose their citizenship, I've seen a LOT of anti-flag burning rhetoric pop up on facebook. I could fill several pages of this thread with it. Most of it is the bog standard "The flag is too sacred", "If you hate america then just leave", or (my favorite) "Won't someone please think of the poor veterans whose feelings will be hurt by a burning flag".

But interspersed through those is the occasional "If I see anyone burning a flag, I'll kick their rear end!" post. Threatening violent bodily harm against someone who has done nothing wrong is great...right? But this right here just takes the cake:

These are usually the same people who post:

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Jabarto posted:

Since it came up, what's the best response to the "we're a not a democracy, we're a constitutional republic" line? It drives me loving batty but I have a hard time articulating why.

You really can't, since it's true, but people who actually say this are not arguing in good faith anyhow. The only concession I make to people who say this today, is that these words are taken, almost exactly, from innumerable writings by the Founding Fathers. But they are obviously just parroting some pundit, and never actually read these writings since they don't understand the concept at all.

Everything out of these peoples' mouths today belies the notion entirely. We should ban flag burning and send people to jail and revoke their citizenship if they do it because we said so and we're the majority *rabble rabble rabble*. In a democracy, the people wanted it, and so it is. If you want to change it, make a new law to revoke the old one. Good luck minorities!

In the Founding Father version of a republic, you have a Supreme Court that always says no, the government can't just arrest people for speaking their mind, no matter how many people vote for it. The Founding Fathers were also wont to assume that while elected representatives were a voice of the people, they were also a check against the people, and wouldn't allow something like to become law to begin with. They were suppose to be above the heated passions of the common man.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

jivjov posted:

Conservatives don't actually give a single poo poo about veterans. They're a convenient talking point. They also believe themselves to be real America where everybody that disagrees with them is bad, unAmerican, and wants to destroy the nation. Therefore if you're burning a flag you are disrespecting them and by extension America and by extension everybody that bled or died for America. Because those people fought and died for you and your freedoms you should respect them.

You can respect the people who died to defend your freedoms by not ever practicing them.

It's also a convenient way to shout down anybody that disagrees with conservatives and thus real America. "People died for my right to free religion so you don't get to complain when I use it as an excuse to ban the gays, abortion, and Muslims. Nyah."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Ostensibly, their sacrifices are what protect the people of the United States' freedoms. It is therefore the highest insult to ever use those freedoms.

It's not entirely false. There are irresponsible uses of freedoms. The Klan has the right to burn crosses, but that doesn't mean they should. I just don't think flag-burning reaches the same level, but let's not pretend like we can't criticize people for how they use their protected speech.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Joshmo posted:

The Founding Fathers were also wont to assume that while elected representatives were a voice of the people, they were also a check against the people, and wouldn't allow something like to become law to begin with. They were suppose to be above the heated passions of the common man.

Generally, I think the House was supposed to represent the passions of the common man, since they were directly elected by small constituencies and faced reelection every two years. The Senate was supposed to be the steady, moderating influence. They didn't go as far as the British House of Lords who were nobles appointed by the king, but they were insulated from the people by being selected by the legislatures and serving six year terms. You still here some conservatives talking about returning to indirect election of senators because that would theoretically make the Senate more conservative.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Conservatives don't actually give a single poo poo about veterans. They're a convenient talking point. They also believe themselves to be real America where everybody that disagrees with them is bad, unAmerican, and wants to destroy the nation. Therefore if you're burning a flag you are disrespecting them and by extension America and by extension everybody that bled or died for America. Because those people fought and died for you and your freedoms you should respect them.

You can respect the people who died to defend your freedoms by not ever practicing them.

It's also a convenient way to shout down anybody that disagrees with conservatives and thus real America. "People died for my right to free religion so you don't get to complain when I use it as an excuse to ban the gays, abortion, and Muslims. Nyah."

Isn't there something from Umberto Eco about fascists worshiping the idea of The Soldier while not respecting individual soldiers? I feel like it's in there somewhere.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 2, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Soldiers are like supply side jesus. A divine figure who just happens to agree with everything they believe so your argument is invalid.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dienes posted:

These are usually the same people who post:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jabarto posted:

Since it came up, what's the best response to the "we're a not a democracy, we're a constitutional republic" line? It drives me loving batty but I have a hard time articulating why.

Because all those concepts coexist to describe different aspects of a system of government so the entire meme doesn't even make sense

The United Kingdom is a monarchy, parliamentary, a democracy, and ruled by law

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Jurgan posted:

It's not entirely false. There are irresponsible uses of freedoms. The Klan has the right to burn crosses, but that doesn't mean they should. I just don't think flag-burning reaches the same level, but let's not pretend like we can't criticize people for how they use their protected speech.

Yeah, but that's all illustrative of the Left/Right mindset. Burning the Flag (a symbol of our country) doesn't oppress anyone. No respectable family wakes up to their patriarch hanging from a tree with their lawn covered in burning flags. Burning crosses . . . not so much.

Equating "burning crosses" with "flag burning" is like this:

Random Axis
Jul 19, 2005

jivjov posted:

No offense taken. I think the people that use this argument assume that the militiary owns the flag somehow. I can kind of see where they come from since we see the military do a lot of flag-related things, but they miss the point that the military respects the flag as a show of their subordinate position to the civilian gov't. The federal government owns the flag if anything does.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Did they light it on fire? Take a wee on it? Put on an OBAMA'S BLM THUG RAPPER ornament? Nope, they just didn't attend the Thanksgiving ceremonies. Maybe they were depressed about the election, idk.

You'd think that with Trump winning America's Freedom Fighters would calm down a little. But this is an alarming amount of racist vein throbbing spewage for two teenagers not attending a white house ceremony.

quote:

Michelle Obama kicked off her family’s final Christmas season at the White House on Friday by receiving a 19-foot Balsam-Veitch fir from Wisconsin as the official White House Christmas Tree.

But many people noticed something very unusual- her adopted children were nowhere to be seen. I call that sh*t parenting.

Her 2 adopted daughters were also MIA on Thanksgiving.
Shouts to my favorite Michelle is a trans man conspiracy

quote:

Malia and Sasha also skipped their father’s traditional pardon of a Thanksgiving turkey this week.

So what are these girls doing?

Smoking crack cocaine?
yes because that's what black girls do amirite?

quote:

Do they not respect the importance of their role as daughters of our president?

Or is it that they just don’t give a flying fu*k about America?

This is extremely disturbing, I mean it seems as if Barack, if he had any balls would make sure that these spoiled punks would do what they are told to do- after all they are the President’s kids, right?

WRONG!

Just like the rest of the planet, they walk all over Obama as if he was a filthy Muslim prayer rug left at the Mexico border.
dawg that was literally a soccer jersey...

quote:

NO ONE RESPECTS HUSSEIN.

Joined by two young nephews instead of her teenage daughters, the first lady said she’s ready and excited for the holiday.

Yeah, I can see it now.

Obama with his ISIS turban an Mooch in her burqa kneeling down in their Muslim prayer mosque they had custom built in the White House worshiping ALLAH.

Fox reports that Mrs. Obama explained that the appearance by her nephews “is what happens when you get teenagers,” referring to 18-year-old Malia and 15-year-old Sasha, the daughters who in past years have joined her for the tradition of receiving the Christmas tree on the morning after Thanksgiving.

Dean James (me) explains that the appearance of her nephews just goes to show you what sh*tty parents they are. Ghetto style.
"Ghetto"

quote:

“One’s asleep,” she said, gesturing toward the White House (that slaves built) “These two are up,” she added, referring to the sons of her brother, Craig Robinson, who was visiting with his family for Thanksgiving.

Thrilling.

They’re up? So are we all supposed to bow and applaud to these 2 dudes? Congratulations for getting up. That’s what I fricking do every day to get to work so I can provide for my family and pay HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN FRICKING TAXES EVERY YEAR TO A CORRUPT GOVERNMENT ran by Obama who finances BlackLivesMatter, ISIS, The Muslim Brotherhood and IRAN!

So congratulations. You woke up. How impressive.
so you're mad at the children who didn't show up, and you're also mad about the ones who did show up. I see how it is

quote:

They will soon be gone.

We will have Trump and his beautiful family in our White House.

There isn’t a drop of ghetto in their blood.
translation: THEY ARE WHITE AS ALL HELL

quote:

Hard work and success.

Beautiful people, not angry anti-American racist trash.
translation: THEY ARE RICH AS ALL HELL

quote:

Muslims.

Marxists.

Soros puppets.

WE ARE TAKING OUR COUNTRY BACK WITH A VENGEANCE.

THE BLACK ASSAULT ON COPS AND WHITES ENDS.

You all had your time and did a great job you filthy scumbags.

You’ve killed innocent police officers, done millions of dollars in damage to cities, ruined private businesses by burning them to the ground and the list goes on.

The first black president was the worst mistake in the history of the United States.

He has turned this country upside down.

Well, we aim to fix this garbage.

And you scumbags can count on the fact that we will fight tooth and nail and we are NOT intimidated by your new found hostility against whites.

two girls DIDN'T ATTEND A CEREMONY. You're calling them and all black people monkeys and acting like it's RaHoWa

quote:

We are done with this sh*t.

You want war? Think twice.

You won’t win.

Now, do what’s right and listen to your parents and work hard to have a wonderful life.

You wanna kill us because your life sucks? Blame yourselves.

Sick of your garbage.

God bless.
Lesson: Trump has not placated these racist assholes. He has emboldened them. They continue to be even more apoplectic :smith:

:unsmith:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wait...the Obama kids are adopted? Not that it matters, but that's neat trivia, I guess.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They need to be adopted to fit the conspiracy that Michelle has a penis, which they need to believe to fit the conspiracy that Barack so gay, which they need to believe to fit gently caress knows.

Even though being a trans woman would still make her a woman.

I think it's because Trans = Gay = Marxist = BLM = Islam = Bad = Obama, therefore they all must be simultaneously the same thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ohh...it literally is just tying back into that asinine "Michelle is really Michael" horseshit? That's so loving stupid.

I really can't wait for our first openly homosexual or transgender president just to see conservative heads detonate

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

jivjov posted:

The troll response to his last post is to ask him if he's OK with it so long as people buy their own flags and don't burn his.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

xergm posted:

The troll response to his last post is to ask him if he's OK with it so long as people buy their own flags and don't burn his.

That actually was the tone of my next comment:

Sadly, after that 3rd person jumped in, he stopped responding.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So is there a good and comprehensive thing I can link to, to debunk that insane Pizzagate conspiracy theory? It's now showing up on my timeline from one of my crazier friends - who went from Ron Paul to Sanders to Stein.

More than snopes, which while good, is a lot more of the "you can't seriously believe this, can you?" variety.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

That’s what I fricking do every day to get to work so I can provide for my family and pay HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN FRICKING TAXES EVERY YEAR TO A CORRUPT GOVERNMENT

If this guy pays hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes every year, he must be making millions of dollars a year. At this point it seems disingenuous to claim it's "providing for your family" which would imply you're struggling to pay bills like a common working man.

(The real answer is this guy has no idea how taxes work.)

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

dwarf74 posted:

So is there a good and comprehensive thing I can link to, to debunk that insane Pizzagate conspiracy theory? It's now showing up on my timeline from one of my crazier friends - who went from Ron Paul to Sanders to Stein.

More than snopes, which while good, is a lot more of the "you can't seriously believe this, can you?" variety.

You can't reason someone out of a position they never reasoned themselves into. Just let them run wild with it because you can't stop it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rick_Hunter posted:

You can't reason someone out of a position they never reasoned themselves into. Just let them run wild with it because you can't stop it.
Oh, I won't convince him of anything. I'm responding for the undecided people whose feed it pops into.

I've already been called a "sheep", though, for arguing that Pizzagate isn't some kind of conspiracy false flag, where it's not true, and its obvious purpose is to discredit 'alternative news outlets' that buy into it. :ironicat:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

As a veteran, I'm taking this opportunity to give you all permission to burn the flag.
I'm also delegating my authority to give this same permission to each of you in this thread, including the authority to delegate.
As a card-carrying Eagle Rank member of the Boy Scouts of America, I am literally trained in burning flags. It's part of what the boy scouts do.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Same. Congrats BTW coyo7e. There's legitimately a procedure and process for it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't think you're really being honest here. I'd say that Conservatives do respect and venerate veterans - largely because they see themselves as someone who totally could have and would have gone off to serve in the military but oh man, that combine isn't going to drive itself if I'm not right here! But what do they do when they see a homeless dude standing outside wal-mart with a sign that says "hungry veteran", they look away and then complain about panhandlers driving BMWs and how they just use the money for drugs and beer anyway.

I suspect it's another form of exceptionalism and power fantasy, this fetishization of veterans and firefighters and police as a response to nebulous threats from Islam.

Conservatives also loving LOVE Native American cultural stuff. They love the fashion, they love the art, the love the jewelry, they love vacationing in places where natives used to live.. But they sure don't like when they get uppity and stop real americans from just doing an honest day's work laying pipe, to receive an honest day's pay, and they sure aren't gonna be visiting the rez (except when they roll up to the casino in their bigass RV that gets 2 mpg)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The Boy Scouts are a fascist organization. If Trump made being a Boy Scout illegal it would be a legitimately good thing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Shbobdb posted:

The Boy Scouts are a fascist organization. If Trump made being a Boy Scout illegal it would be a legitimately good thing.
Never said that my survival and proto-military training and indoctrination aren't fascist as gently caress, but you're not trying to invoke any kind of reasonable conversation when you throw out a blanket statement like that and don't bother to explain what you mean. The upper levels of the BSA are pretty bad still but they're dying and retiring off and things are changing and you can't really honestly say that the BSA isn't pretty progressive - despite the fact that they were formed by a dude who wanted to groom young men to become soldiers.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scouting.org%2Ffilestore%2FMerit_Badge_ReqandRes%2FSustainability.pdf

Also once you're a boy scout you're always a boy scout, you can't just stop being one. Again, it's very like the military in that regard.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Boyscouts are the original MRAs, preserving a masculine past in the feminized future of the 20th century :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

belief in the theory hinges on the idea that any evidence or common sense that contradicts it is part of the cover-up or "just what they want you to think!"
so in short, no

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

JVNO posted:

Boyscouts are the original MRAs, preserving a masculine past in the feminized future of the 20th century :v:

https://www.meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/American_Cultures

quote:

Choose THREE groups that have different racial, cultural, national, or ethnic backgrounds, one of which comes from your own background. Use these groups to meet requirements 1, 2, and 3.
Do TWO of the following, choosing a different group for each:
a. Go to a festival, celebration, or other event identified with one of the groups. Report on what you see and learn.
b. Go to a place of worship, school, or other institution identified with one of the groups. Report on what you see and learn.
c. Talk with a person from one of the groups about the heritage and traditions of the group. Report on what you learn.
d. Learn a song, dance, poem, or story which is traditional to one group, and teach it to a group of your friends.
e. Go to a library or museum to see a program or exhibit featuring one group's traditions. Report on what you see and learn.
Imagine that one of the groups had always lived alone in a city or country to which no other groups ever came. Tell what you think the city or country might be like today. Now tell what you think it might be like if the three groups you chose lived there at the same time.
Tell about some differences between the religions and social customs of the three groups. Tell about some ideas, or ways of doing things that are similar in the three groups.
Tell about a contribution made to our country by three different people each from a different racial, ethnic, or religious background.
Give a talk to your Scout unit or class at school on how people from different groups have gotten along together. Lead a discussion on what can be done to help various groups understand one another better.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

K

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Goy Scouts

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BONGHITZ posted:

Goy Scouts
Holy poo poo. Do you know what that word is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I had a guy tell me that the first amendment only exists because soldiers died for it.

I wanted to tell him that those rights only exist because we are endowed with them by Our Creator but I am guessing that he will say that he works for God.

Which soldiers? What was the last war someone died in to protect our "freedoms"? Was Saddam about to take away our freedom of speech? Was Vietnam about to quarter soldiers in our homes without our permission?

I mean on the most basic of levels the "freedom to protest" is the freedom America was based on and, as this shows, it's most important to preserve our freedom to protest because that's the freedom they will try to take away, no one is trying to take away your freedom to sit quietly and go with the flow even if you disagree with it. "We need our guns in case the government tries to take them, but HOW DARE YOU tell the government you're mad at it???"