Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Right. Conservatives are programmed to hate "punishing success" and "acting entitled". But surely they can be made to support a punishment for unfairness and exploitation, especially when they themselves are victims. However, this would require a politician capable of calling out the billionaire class out for what they really are, instead of trying to stand up for them and treating them as Gods among men.

We do, Bernie.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

Even the authoritarians hate the corporations' and banks' guts. They love it when Trump embarrasses them. What they want is somebody to bring them down because of immoral conduct, they sure as hell don't want somebody kissing up to the same wealthy elites and feebly asking them for additional contributions to the budget.
you say that, but what's happening right now is a fractal :ironicat:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

this looks suspiciously like hotlinking

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Ok so what are the chances of the electoral college loving over Trump? Nobody else seems to be talking about it so I'm guessing the answer is "less than zero" but I thought I'd ask anyway. This whole has been loving Bizarro World so I feel like anything could happen.

I mean, that sort of thing is exactly why the electoral college exists in the first place, right?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
gah my TABLES!!!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Elephant Ambush posted:

Ok so what are the chances of the electoral college loving over Trump? Nobody else seems to be talking about it so I'm guessing the answer is "less than zero" but I thought I'd ask anyway. This whole has been loving Bizarro World so I feel like anything could happen.

I mean, that sort of thing is exactly why the electoral college exists in the first place, right?

it's a constitutional rubber stamp, death is certain

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

you say that, but what's happening right now is a fractal :ironicat:

And precisely because Trump is betraying his own promises, there needs to be a strong Democratic leader with charisma to punish him for it ASAP, and hijack the anti-establishment discourse.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

And precisely because Trump is betraying his own promises, there needs to be a strong Democratic leader with charisma to punish him for it ASAP, and hijack the anti-establishment discourse.

Relax, Chuck Schumer is on the case :downs:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

or talking exclusively about "free stuff" while entirely omitting the culpability of the elites and the need to bring them to justice from the equation - that is an entirely ineffectual discourse. E.g., promising free college won't sway over somebody who doesn't value college education.
that was a clear misstep by bernie but i'm going to give him slack for aiming for the democratic primary vote (which, honestly, is a loving anomaly that's soon to crumble), and at this point he'll have way more ammunition for abuses by the elite for the next two years

shame the democratic party is set up in such a way that you need to have a literal ten-thousand-dollar buy in to get into the old boys clubs that comprise it or scream loudly and angrily enough and then just run as an independent when you're constantly refused, like bernie. considering the democratic party is in the process of being owned, there's a nonzero chance they learn their lesson about newcomers who would actually do things that don't have money and are thus not beholden to wall street

while the republican party is okay with taking any random hobo and dressing him up and bribing him to do things that kill off other hobos when he takes office. :smith:

e: 13th edit so far, my brain is pulsing in pain right now

Anime Schoolgirl has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Dec 2, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Catching up on this thread, just wanna say the boss commercial did in fact rule and we needed it to get played all over the place, and also the constant appeals to politifact were yet another manifestation of "you'd see I'm right if you just do the research yourself, I'm not gonna back that up right now, just look at some websites on your own time" like HRC did with her platform

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

HannibalBarca posted:

Yeah, exactly. There are shades of grey in everything. Joe Blow who "hates lawyers" probably doesn't care if you make 40,000 a year doing indigent defense or an obscene amount of money doing corporate mergers. He just hates you.

full disclosure I am a lawyer

That's the legal profession's fault. Decades of being called the worst people of earth and the response is silence. It's my opinion that the legal profession should get together and hire a drat PR firm to improve their image. If people hate lawyers, they're not gonna vote for them. It's no coincidence that fewer lawyers are in congress now than ever before.

But the profession can't even fight legalzoom so whatever. Silicon Valley is gonna take over the whole business while the Baby Boomers in charge sleep through the remainder of their careers.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/MattGrossmann/status/804698717265739776

*sad trombone*

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How much longer until all of the votes are done being counted?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Seems like a lot of our messaging problems could be fixed by letting the unions have a bigger say in the party.

Daniel Hillard
May 22, 2012

I personally don't think that dropping all of the "Donald trump is being lovely to people" commercials would have been the needed. Reading interviews with people who voted trump for economic reasons they were clearly very put off by a lot of the discriminatory things he said but it was either vote for a person who says lovely things sometimes and at least acts like he cares about them or a person who doesn't even care enough to make a stop in their community. Obviously making 90% of your ads about how trump says lovely things is not going to be effective but I don't think they should have disappeared completely.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

comingafteryouall posted:

Seems like a lot of our messaging problems could be fixed by letting the unions have a bigger say in the party.

naw they're happy to appease us by offering us the status quo (things won't get worse!) in exchange for our literal souls

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Daniel Hillard posted:

I personally don't think that dropping all of the "Donald trump is being lovely to people" commercials would have been the needed. Reading interviews with people who voted trump for economic reasons they were clearly very put off by a lot of the discriminatory things he said but it was either vote for a person who says lovely things sometimes and at least acts like he cares about them or a person who doesn't even care enough to make a stop in their community. Obviously making 90% of your ads about how trump says lovely things is not going to be effective but I don't think they should have disappeared completely.

One problem is that Trump lies so much that even his most rabid supporters took notice and hand-waved it as "oh, he isn't really going to do all that crazy stuff he said!". Like, they literally voted for a man that they know is a pathological liar and just don't care. How do you campaign against that mentality?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Elephant Ambush posted:

Virtually none. It'd take dozens of deep cover infiltrators in the Trump camp just to be appointed delegates in case he wins, or dozens of people Trump's campaign picked themselves to go cast ballots for him suddenly going "I'm with Her!" and casting for Hillary instead.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol you can't and its gonna be trumps for the next 24 years lmao

vvvv and yeah. holy poo poo ya hosed the WWC.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

WarMECH posted:

One problem is that Trump lies so much that even his most rabid supporters took notice and hand-waved it as "oh, he isn't really going to do all that crazy stuff he said!". Like, they literally voted for a man that they know is a pathological liar and just don't care. How do you campaign against that mentality?

by not making them that desperate in the first place

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

WarMECH posted:

lol bing bong so simple u just need more progressive purity and a more progressive platform and better optics and more positive messaging and better outreach and don't trust the numbers but trust the numbers and don't lie and be a more trustworthy candi

*gets schlonged by dipshit c-list reality tv star and proud pathological liar in GE*

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
people want dignified work (dignified among their social class, not among liberal coastal elites) with decent pay and benefits and they understand that while their relationship with the company that employs them is fundamentally antagonistic they still need that company to not go out of business

and while they may want to eat the rich on wallstreet they probably dont want to eat some guy who owns a local business even if he is a dick to his employees

if only there was some way of organizing society so that everyone could work to the best of their ability while receiving an equitable share of the wealth produced by their labor...

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Oh Snapple! posted:

by not making them that desperate in the first place

What do you mean?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Louisgod posted:

What do you mean?

telling labor to go gently caress itself so you could cozy up to the affluent was not a good idea

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

WarMECH posted:

Run someone who scores high on the trustworthy meter. If one candidate is perceived to be a lying rear end in a top hat and the other candidate is someone you disagree with but is a person of conviction, that goes a long way towards neutralizing Trump.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Donald being a liar matters less when you remember that they're all liars

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Oh Snapple! posted:

telling labor to go gently caress itself so you could cozy up to the affluent was not a good idea

I was going to respond with "you really think that'd make a difference?" but knowing that key states were only lost by like 20k votes makes me think that yeah, it would've made a difference.

Hillary Campaign Was Bad

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Daniel Hillard posted:

You gotta run both, the first to make them not want to vote Trump, and the second to undermine the reasons they DO want to vote Trump. Just adding more stuff to the bad pile is never gonna counteract the goods, which weigh more - you gotta attack his strengths too and make him weak enough his weaknesses can bring him down when they are attacked as well

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

Run someone who scores high on the trustworthy meter. If one candidate is perceived to be a lying rear end in a top hat and the other candidate is someone you disagree with but is a person of conviction, that goes a long way towards neutralizing Trump.

Actually you are right. I had some conservative friends say they hated Bernie for his politics but respected him more than Lyin' Crooked Hillary because they believed he was telling (mostly) the truth.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Alter Ego posted:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

No, because he never left us. :glomp:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

CheesyDog posted:

Donald being a liar matters less when you remember that they're all liars

I know everyone honestly believes that "lol nothing matters", but I believe that a large part of 2016 was Hillary Clinton's unique weaknesses as a candidate.

Yes, she was uninspiring and a lousy campaigner, but if those were her only problems she'd have beaten Trump easily. She had a history of duplicity and a tendency to suck up to the wrong people, as well as an unfortunate tendency to go hyper-negative against challenges from the left. I think that the right candidate--someone who can make the case that we can have both economic AND social justice at the same time, and make it convincingly--can make voters realize that you don't have to vote for the shitbag candidate just because the system is broken. I don't know who this person is, but I think they are out there.

I realize this makes me sound naive, but I have to have some hope for 2018 and beyond. My fear is that the science of polling is completely unreliable now. How are we supposed to look at any indicators prior to an election and trust them? How are people supposed to look at prognostications of any type? I realize that this only puts people like Nate Silver out of business, but still...

Fritz Coldcockin has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Dec 2, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

OAquinas posted:

No, because he never left us. :glomp:

trump gonna give him a state funeral

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I thought Bernie's minority outreach consisting of using Killer Mike to shill for him was pretty transparent and rang hollow. Not to mention most Run the Jewels fans are affluent white college kids.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Baloogan you should check out that guy charlie angus if you actually wanna make canada great again

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
same with the guy with the gap teeth in your mouth so my dick's gots to fit

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fiction posted:

Baloogan you should check out that guy charlie angus if you actually wanna make canada great again

naw im now atm brainstorming ways to stop trumpism up here lamo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

fits my needs posted:

I thought Bernie's minority outreach consisting of using Killer Mike to shill for him was pretty transparent and rang hollow. Not to mention most Run the Jewels fans are affluent white college kids.

Trying to figure out what this post is in response to other than "the existence of progressives", comin up short so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Baloogan posted:

naw im now atm brainstorming ways to stop trumpism up here lamo

No he's NDP. Also good luck with that hahaha

• Locked thread