Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
If I need tomato, I either add some paste to the food processor, as I'm making chili paste, or I add whatever leftover salsa is open in the fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I am probably the biggest "ONE TRUE CHILI" Texan in this thread, and I'll still toss in a few spoonfuls of salsa into a big pot of chili sometimes to add just a hint of sweet, rounds out the flavor and it seems to pull the texture together as well. Tomato paste is a bridge too far for me though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I think a can of chopped high quality canned tomatoes, with a quantity of meat as large as what I used and cooked for as long as this doesn't bring too much tomato flavor at all. It wasn't like your typical Americanized spaghetti sauce with passata/paste up to the eyeballs. I've made Mario Batali's Ragu which is just a couple teaspoons of paste and that's it for tomato, which allows the other flavors to shine through.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 2, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I like some nice toasty hunks of tomato in my chilli, as opposed to a sauce.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The scorekeeper is tallying the cook off votes now. Should know if my co-workers have good taste or not in the next 10mins...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I won.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

xergm posted:

If I need tomato, I either add some paste to the food processor, as I'm making chili paste, or I add whatever leftover salsa is open in the fridge.

I really hesitate to do this with jarred salsa, but I'll admit to doing it with leftovers from a Mexican restaurant with good fresh salsa.

Ranter posted:

I won.

Well done!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
One fellow competitor had the audacity to complain to people that 'yet another non-traditional chili won again'. Lady, this is more chili than your midwest corn kernel soup.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ben Nevis posted:

I really hesitate to do this with jarred salsa, but I'll admit to doing it with leftovers from a Mexican restaurant with good fresh salsa.

Yeah, any shelf bottled salsa that's chunky is a bad idea. The veggies will not break down, and stay crunchy thanks to the calcium chloride, which would be a super weird texture in chili. A smoother salsa, or any that you find in the refrigerated section should be fine though.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Ranter posted:

midwest corn kernel soup.

Describe it more. I can almost taste her tears as they drip onto the comforting bible verses she read later that night.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Headed out deer hunting next weekend, so time to clean the freezer out of last season's venison. Easily one of my best batches of ground chili ever.

Hardware:
Camo Lone Star
Beef broth
Onion
Garlic
2lb venison chili grind
2lb ground venison
3lb beef lchili grind 92/8
1lb Owen's hot sausage for some fat and flavor
3oz Bulleit Bourbon

Software:
1/2 can chipotle en adobo
Arbols
Cumin (ground with the arbols)
Ancho
New Mexico
San Jose
Smoked hot paprika
shitload of black pepper
Beef Better Than Bouillon

Total cook time, 3.5 hours

Rough directions: Brown all the meat. Actually get some brown color, not just grey, set aside. Sweat onions/garlic in the meat fat, deglaze with bourbon. Toast chili powder in bigass pot. Add meat to powder and stir. Add beer, broth, bouillon and minced chipotles.
Cook until desired consistency. The ground meat itself is ready within 2 hours, but it will be too runny.

Total chili powder amount was 18 tablespoons for the 8 pounds of meat, which came out just about perfect flavor-wise, with a mild-to-medium level of slow, warming heat. My spice novice girlfriend started out saying "Oh man, this isn't really spicy at all", but by the end of the bowl was "Oh! okay, need some milk now." Definitively venison, but not overpoweringly gamey. Very happy with the result.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The only time when ground is appropriate. May you feast on chili forevermore! Also, good luck getting your deer. Maybe pack some hot chilli in a thermos for a hunting snack :p Where will you be hunting?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for the praise and the well-wishes. We'll be hunting out around Abilene, Texas. Our ranch has so many deer it's probably unfair to call it hunting though. We keep two big fallow fields open with some wild growing wheat, a bunch of prickly pair and mesquite on the outskirts, with a well. Pretty much deer paradise. Last time I was out there, just one of the fields probably had 2 dozen deer grazing.

Belmont Geoffrion
Sep 25, 2007
o bby
Yo, I've got a workplace chili cook-off coming up this next week and I'm fairly confident in my chili recipe as is but I typically use cubed up chuck roast and cook it for 7-8 hours in a dutch oven in the stove. The only problem is that for this cook-off we have to 1. prepare it in a crock pot and 2. we only have 5 (maybe 6) hours to let it cook. Will I still be safe using my usual chuck roast recipe or is there a different cut that will get to the right amount of fall apart-y goodness that I demand of my chili?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Why do you have to cook it in a crock pot and why do you only have that much time? They're forcing you to make it at work?

For me, I made it at home then put it in a crock pot to bring in to work that morning.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
5 hours is plenty for chuck to break down. Maybe slightly smaller chunks than normal. Really though, the main thing I would warn about is adjusting your liquid to match the reduced time. 2 hours less to cook off and thicken up could wind up being really watery if you don't adjust.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Pre-seer the chuck at home to get a head start and get those good mallards going.

Belmont Geoffrion
Sep 25, 2007
o bby
Cool, this allays many of my fears. Long story short for the weird constraints, the whole thing is half chili contest half a way to make sure there's a bunch of food for a end-of-year work event. It's extra hosed up because this means I can't put beer in it. But I'm planning to keep my head held high and carry on, and hopefully win that $3 chili medal.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Still don't understand. What kind of idiots are running this thing that think cooking at home and bringing in a crockpot would result in not enough food? That's some weird loving logic.

Is no beer/wine in cooked food a normal thing in the American workplace? We have Whiskey Wednesdays at 4pm and on Fridays we have a company all-hands with wine. This is abnormal?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It really depends on the company

Belmont Geoffrion
Sep 25, 2007
o bby
Mine is very much a non-typical work situation. It's a national service program with a lot of <21 year olds who are gonna be present, and I'd just make it beforehand but the groceries are going on a company credit card so they've gotta be bought on the way to the event, and then the chili contest is basically like the lunch theme for the day. It's just sort of a perfect storm of conditions that make for a weird set of rules.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Ranter posted:

Still don't understand. What kind of idiots are running this thing that think cooking at home and bringing in a crockpot would result in not enough food? That's some weird loving logic.

Is no beer/wine in cooked food a normal thing in the American workplace? We have Whiskey Wednesdays at 4pm and on Fridays we have a company all-hands with wine. This is abnormal?

My company is staffed by about 80% recovering addicts. The owner is as well, which is why there are so many people in recovery. So, no alcohol at work, no matter what.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
:buddy: Don't worry the alcohol cooks out!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/easy-pork-three-bean-chili-food-lab-recipe.html

I didnt bother with any pics but I made this for like the 10th time for my kid's birthday party and it was well liked

my only recommendation is to cut the orange juice/concentrate. between the raisins and can of tomatoes it's just right level of sweetness. and use your own chili paste or powder.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Che Delilas posted:

:buddy: Don't worry the alcohol cooks out!

Not completely, and not as quickly as people think. It's because alcohol and water form an azeotrope; it's not like oil and water, where they just don't mix (without forming an emulsion at least).

You've never seen a bottle of vodka separate out, right?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Not completely, and not as quickly as people think. It's because alcohol and water form an azeotrope; it's not like oil and water, where they just don't mix (without forming an emulsion at least).

You've never seen a bottle of vodka separate out, right?

It was a joke, hence the :buddy:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Your sarcasm was obvious even for text on a website. Don't worry. They just wanted to post some poo poo in response and ignored it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Reposting this from somewhere else. I learned how to make this from my mom.

Ingredients:
-1 pound of ground beef
-1 pound of ground turkey

First off, start by browning the beef in an appropriately sized saucepan. Once it's light brown, put in the turkey, and get that browned up too. Now that you have both meats browned, turn the heat to low and add the following:

-A big handful of parsley (two if your hands are tiny and gimpy, I have real big hands)
-Slightly smaller amount of cumin
-Some ground chili pepper (amount varies, but if you like it as spicy as I do, add as much as you did parsley or cumin!)
-Some garlic (about half as much as cumin)
-A little bit of oregano (only a little bit)

I do not provide exact proportions, as I just eyeball all this stuff.

Anyways, once you have it in, pour enough spring water (or other water, I use spring water since someone in my family hates tap water) so that you can just see it above the bottom pieces of meat-- you don't need to drown it. Mix in the spices, put the lid on, and let it simmer 15-20 minutes.

Best eaten on potatoes or in soft shell tortillas with beans of your choice, shredded
cheese, and optionally, chopped onions, avocados, and tomatoes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Reposting this from somewhere else. I learned how to make this from my mom.

Ingredients:
-1 pound of ground beef
-1 pound of ground turkey

First off, start by browning the beef in an appropriately sized saucepan. Once it's light brown, put in the turkey, and get that browned up too. Now that you have both meats browned, turn the heat to low and add the following:

-A big handful of parsley (two if your hands are tiny and gimpy, I have real big hands)
-Slightly smaller amount of cumin
-Some ground chili pepper (amount varies, but if you like it as spicy as I do, add as much as you did parsley or cumin!)
-Some garlic (about half as much as cumin)
-A little bit of oregano (only a little bit)

I do not provide exact proportions, as I just eyeball all this stuff.

Anyways, once you have it in, pour enough spring water (or other water, I use spring water since someone in my family hates tap water) so that you can just see it above the bottom pieces of meat-- you don't need to drown it. Mix in the spices, put the lid on, and let it simmer 15-20 minutes.

Best eaten on potatoes or in soft shell tortillas with beans of your choice, shredded
cheese, and optionally, chopped onions, avocados, and tomatoes.

If you need to brown both meats and they both get simmered to cook through in the end, why not brown both meats at once? Why do the beef, and then the turkey?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Midniter posted:

If you need to brown both meats and they both get simmered to cook through in the end, why not brown both meats at once? Why do the beef, and then the turkey?

That's just the way I learned it. I think the idea is that you need to do the beef a little longer than the turkey.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's a troll post, right?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No, that is honestly a chili recipe I learned, and still make to this day. I plan to make some more when I go shopping in a couple of weeks, too :)

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Why is there beef and turkey together?

edit: please try any of the other Chili recipes in this thread, I think you'll be surprised at how great they are

mega dy fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 23, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Guys I dumped four random cans without labels into a crockpot with a pound of ground chicken and cooked it ALL DAY. Chilli, right?

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Only if one of those unlabeled cans contained cream of mushroom soup.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

marshalljim posted:

Only if one of those unlabeled cans contained cream of mushroom soup.

I think all of them were.

Wait one had to be beans. Or boiled peanuts. Or possibly silk worm pupae. Can't tell any more.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 24, 2017

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Somehow I'm not surprised goons would get huffy even about chili, of all things.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
That's basically taco meat. Like if you boil off the water it becomes ground beef for tacos.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Somehow I'm not surprised goons would get huffy even about chili, of all things.

It's not just goons.