Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SRM posted:

I wonder if they're going to try and do the esport thing again with DoW3, I know they tried it a little with DoW2 with spectator mode and such, but the random nature of the game and the sheer number of variables kept it from being an esport like Starcraft II. Getting Starcraft players to vouch for DoW is a good way to promote the game though.

I feel like Starcraft 2 only got to be an eSport because of the brand. Every time I've watched a game, it always ends up the same; They both get death balls, mash them together and whoever comes out on top wins or, I HAVE ALL THE MARINES!!!!

I know for certain that the instant Tastosis quit, all interest there will be gone for me.

Also, that Incontrol guy is actually a 'Nid player. I can't remember which channel he turns up on but his bugs are black and yellow.

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Turning away from eSports, Lady Atia has a bunch of leaks/previews of Wrath of Magnus: artwork, color schemes, and rules.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
So I got my hobby desk cleaned up and my spray booth deployed. Decided to take a shot at some pics with my dslr of my freshly finished Breechers.

https://goo.gl/photos/uRUXxkCnwFS5YAHZ9

If my metering is 0 then my pics are too dark. If my metering is filled all to the right my pics have enough light but are just washed out. Filled halfway right is a happy medium. I just cant tell if my issue is light. I am useing an Ottelite task lamp and to me these things are lit to the high heavens.

I am loosley following this guide http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/tutorial-beginners-guide-to-miniature.html?m=1#more

But I think the nikon vs canon difference is screwing me. As when I use his fstop and iso then balance apeture till metering is 0 in the guide, I get the darkest pics of the lot in the above library.

For anyone that might want to take a stab at helping me below is my cam and lense.

Nikon d5200
Lense AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G
Shooting in Manaul. Tried Apeture priority mode as well.

Is it possibly my lense? I am shooting at 18 and manually focussing.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I played my first ever game tonight with my Genestealer Cult! Had 2 Hive Tyrants, then the decurion with the core formation, subterranean assault and dotting throng with lots of neophytes. He was running 4 riptides in a formation, the ghostkeel formation, some tetras and that flying MC HQ dude.

I got first turn. I did Cult Ambush in the infiltrate. Got six 6s. Pretty much everything else was deployed as close as possible to his stuff, which was all turtled up in a corner so they could share overwatch.

He seized the initiative on me. On his first turn, with his 8 units, he scored 13 kill points.

I did jack poo poo on my turn.

Turn 2 he pretty much finished the job. Didn't get off a single assault. With nothing but Hive Tyrants and a couple neophyte squads holding objectives I just called it. Better luck next time I guess.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

4 riptides.

What.
The.
gently caress.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

4 riptides.

What.
The.
gently caress.

I wanted to play a tournament level list and that is just what I got. This was against the guy who had just taken 2nd place at the Renegade Open, and was one of the two guys running the Supremacy Suit. Which at least he didn't run tonight. :v:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

3+ Riptides is pretty common, it's the only thing that puts out the fire to dent a real bikestar or Battle Company.

Tournament 40k is nuts.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Master Twig posted:

He seized the initiative on me. On his first turn, with his 8 units, he scored 13 kill points.

Good lord am I happy I don't play competitive 40k. Sheesh.

Kilazar posted:

So I got my hobby desk cleaned up and my spray booth deployed. Decided to take a shot at some pics with my dslr of my freshly finished Breechers.

https://goo.gl/photos/uRUXxkCnwFS5YAHZ9

If my metering is 0 then my pics are too dark. If my metering is filled all to the right my pics have enough light but are just washed out. Filled halfway right is a happy medium. I just cant tell if my issue is light. I am useing an Ottelite task lamp and to me these things are lit to the high heavens.

I am loosley following this guide http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/tutorial-beginners-guide-to-miniature.html?m=1#more

But I think the nikon vs canon difference is screwing me. As when I use his fstop and iso then balance apeture till metering is 0 in the guide, I get the darkest pics of the lot in the above library.

For anyone that might want to take a stab at helping me below is my cam and lense.

Nikon d5200
Lense AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G
Shooting in Manaul. Tried Apeture priority mode as well.

Is it possibly my lense? I am shooting at 18 and manually focussing.
I'm gonna guess it's your lights really. I use two LED lamps, one on either side of the lightbox, plus I shoot in a well lit room. I wish I had another light to put behind me while i take photos.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

SRM posted:

I'm gonna guess it's your lights really. I use two LED lamps, one on either side of the lightbox, plus I shoot in a well lit room. I wish I had another light to put behind me while i take photos.

Thanks. Lights are probably easiest thing to fix. Here is the light I was using.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Q0CUXA/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also use that as my paint light. Would a matching one on the other side be good or is this a horrible lite for painting amd pics?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Master Twig posted:

...and was one of the two guys running the Supremacy Suit. Which at least he didn't run tonight. :v:

Oh man, I thought a guy I faced off against at my last doubles tournament was just being cool and bucking the trend of riptidepalooza with his supremacy suit. The 40k tournament scene is just so hosed :psyduck:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hamshot posted:

Oh man, I thought a guy I faced off against at my last doubles tournament was just being cool and bucking the trend of riptidepalooza with his supremacy suit. The 40k tournament scene is just so hosed :psyduck:

Yeah, going through the 40k tournament at NOVA was just a long line of "gently caress this" until I found the bottom tables where folks actually had fun armies. One dude had all metal Praetorians painted in accurate 1800s English uniforms, plus a buttload of old metal Frateris Militia, Black Library exclusive models, and other rare old minis, all painted beautifully. I actually don't think he had any plastic in the army. I kinda wanna find that guy and get him to do the narrative next year since I think he'd have a lot more fun.

Kilazar posted:

Thanks. Lights are probably easiest thing to fix. Here is the light I was using.

I also use that as my paint light. Would a matching one on the other side be good or is this a horrible lite for painting amd pics?
I don't think it's a bad light but I haven't used it. Looks better than what I use for painting anywho. I think you just need more light and from more directions for photography. I just have this, which isn't especially high end, but you can see the lights I'm talking about :
https://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-P...ds=photo+studio

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I got TABLED by ORKS tonight :smith:

I ran 5 Knights in a Land Raider Crusader, 5 Terminators, Librarian in Terminator Armor, 2 5 man tac squads with missile launchers, a dreadnaught with 2 heavy flamers, 2 land speeders, and a dark shroud. I would have won 15 to 10 if the game ended on turn 5.

My Terminators were not able to pull their weight and my dreadnaught didn't kill anything (but scored me like 5 points) it was a pretty fun game though.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
24 hours to GOONPOCALYSE III! Work has been particularly poo poo this past few weeks so an opportunity to spend a day of chill gaming and bad chat is like a balm to my fevered soul.

Anyone who wants to come and hang out please do. We will be the group of handsome guys hanging out at the spyral prime table.

Those who are coming I am afraid I am in my miniature car so lift giving capacity is reduced. If anyone is stuck though I can try to help.

I am going straight to bed after work to make tomorrow come faster...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I ran 5 Knights in a Land Raider Crusader, 5 Terminators, Librarian in Terminator Armor, 2 5 man tac squads with missile launchers, a dreadnaught with 2 heavy flamers, 2 land speeders, and a dark shroud. I would have won 15 to 10 if the game ended on turn 5.

My Terminators were not able to pull their weight and my dreadnaught didn't kill anything (but scored me like 5 points) it was a pretty fun game though.

How did a double h flamer underperform against orks? Did you place it in a back corner?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

SRM posted:

Well, despite the crushing defeat, I still had a good time. It's all about who you play with.

Look at Naramyth and his crew of Warhogs. They're some of the best players around and all run very highly competitive lists. But they're cool guys who are fun to hang around and every match I've had against them has been pretty good. Two very competitive lists going up against each other can be just as fun for beerhammer as two junky lists. It's just all about the expectations and sportsmanship of the players.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So if I am reading this correctly I can fully expect to run into Tzeentch armies that have a 4++ all around on their pink horrors that can split twice into weaker but more numerous versions of themselves? Atleast someone was smart enough to say the invuln can't surpass 3++ and forfeits the rerolling ones, Jesus.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Hamshot posted:

Oh, no, man: the Supremacy suit is loving bonkers. For less than a Stompa, you get immeasurably superior firepower, ballistic skill, mobility, defensive capability, and special rules.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Even a stuck clock, my dude. What was your opponent's list?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Uroboros posted:

So if I am reading this correctly I can fully expect to run into Tzeentch armies that have a 4++ all around on their pink horrors that can split twice into weaker but more numerous versions of themselves? Atleast someone was smart enough to say the invuln can't surpass 3++ and forfeits the rerolling ones, Jesus.

I doubt you'll run into the 4++ version, rerolling ones is better as they'll probably be going to ground for a 3+ anyway.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

Well, despite the crushing defeat, I still had a good time. It's all about who you play with.

Look at Naramyth and his crew of Warhogs. They're some of the best players around and all run very highly competitive lists. But they're cool guys who are fun to hang around and every match I've had against them has been pretty good. Two very competitive lists going up against each other can be just as fun for beerhammer as two junky lists. It's just all about the expectations and sportsmanship of the players.

Hawgs4lyfe

I can't add much more. Bleeding edge 40k is fun as gently caress, even if your teeth are getting kicked in because the people are awesome. It is a warped environment though. A new store opened and there are like a dozen new players there that the Hogs didn't know about. We were bemoaning that until we were looking at the table on Saturday and it was 30ish fenrisian wolves with Azrael and two characters backed up by a DA battle company versus a crazy 20+ unit genestealer cult and later 9 wave serpents and the battle company wasn't good enough. 40k players who aren't used to that are intimidated and get wrecked because they don't play at that level day in and day out.

Uroboros posted:

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I doubt you'll run into the 4++ version, rerolling ones is better as they'll probably be going to ground for a 3+ anyway.

Generally they just go to ground in ruins for a 3+ anyway. But yeah the split thing is terrifying and legitimately broken.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Aw man, I may have to expand the Waaagh Demons into Tzeentch stuff. Summoning a unit of 10 Orcs which splits into 20 Goblins which split into Snotlings sounds hilarious. Hopefully I can find some old Savage Orc Arrer Boyz and Forest Goblins for not insane prices on eBay...

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Survivability creep. Cool. Does killing the initial blob of horrors but not their spawn give kill points?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Each unit that spawns gives off a kill point. Theoretically, you could get about 60 kill points from a single 20 man Pink unit in a 7 turn game killing one model in each Blue and Pink squad and eliminating all the Brimstones every Psychic, Shooting, and Assault phase.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I got an email the other day about how Black Library is now up on the Amazon Kindle. (in the UK and Europe, US at the beginning of 2017) This is pretty awesome.

Anyway, as I listen to audio books a lot on audible, I went out to the 40k facebook and made a post about being excited, but also asked if they had plans for bringing the audiobooks/dramas to audible. Got a response of:

quote:

Glad to see you're happy about it! We'll see what we can do in the future :)

Seems like we might finally be able to get audiobooks in a convenient, and more affordable location.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Killing each unit will give a kill point. So while the splitting is potentially nasty it can give the opponent extra KP if they can deal with the adds. Of course this assumes you're using KP.

The fun thing is if you position the guys well enough it's possible to split pink horrors into multiple units of blues if you keep them away from each newly formed unit.

---

Heh, went onto the HOR Killteam site and apparently they released Khorne Daemonkin yesterday. Looks like I need to adjust my plans for the Goonmeet tomorrow :)

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 2, 2016

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Are you bringing your daemorcs? (I was hoping you would).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

That's the plan! Bringing the glowy green bastards and whatever other bits and pieces will fit into the case I use. Should have enough flexibility to do Killteam, Zone Mortalis or a regular smallish / team game.

The plan was 750pts for Zone right? I can throw together a quick list on the train :)

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Zark the Damned and JackMack, I am puuumppeddd

I am bringing

250pt HoR for:

Salamanders
Raven Guard
Khorne Demons

And 750 ZM for:

Salamanders

And 1250 for:

Salamanders

(all 30k except for the demons)

P.U.M.P.E.D.

I will not break and buy a primarch like I did last time.

I will buy Raven Guard transfer sheets.

And probably other stuff, loving get off my back who do you think you are, my mum? god.

EDIT: Also gently caress yes, we are playing this Catastrophic Damage table for ZM.

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 2, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So while I do like the whole detachment of formations thing, as it allows for some cool army comp ideas, I really wish it was more Forgeworld friendly.

Take these Thousand Sons formations for instance. I would really like to get one of those Thousand Sons contemptor dreads and use it in the army via the IA13 rules, but there is no actual ability to do that outside of unbound or CAD. I mean, there is the ability to use it as a Helbrute with the one section, but the whole insane, u predictable dreadnought thing doesn't really first with the Thousand Sons aesthetic.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zark the Damned posted:

Aw man, I may have to expand the Waaagh Demons into Tzeentch stuff. Summoning a unit of 10 Orcs which splits into 20 Goblins which split into Snotlings sounds hilarious. Hopefully I can find some old Savage Orc Arrer Boyz and Forest Goblins for not insane prices on eBay...

You're in luck, I've been seeing a ton of Battle for Skull Pass goblin halves for cheap on eBay lately. Like 60goblins for $40 cheap.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Technowolf posted:

Turning away from eSports, Lady Atia has a bunch of leaks/previews of Wrath of Magnus: artwork, color schemes, and rules.

That white scheme is really cool.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love this

Wake up one morning and your skin is blue. Guess the boss likes blue today.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

jadebullet posted:

So while I do like the whole detachment of formations thing, as it allows for some cool army comp ideas, I really wish it was more Forgeworld friendly.

Take these Thousand Sons formations for instance. I would really like to get one of those Thousand Sons contemptor dreads and use it in the army via the IA13 rules, but there is no actual ability to do that outside of unbound or CAD. I mean, there is the ability to use it as a Helbrute with the one section, but the whole insane, u predictable dreadnought thing doesn't really first with the Thousand Sons aesthetic.

Yeah their whole approach here sucks and it seems like the solution they've come up with is "stop making 40k stuff that isn't titans" rather than making allowances for FW stuff in 40k books, or creating addendums on the FW side. Something as simple as "a Contemptor may be used in place of a Helbrute in any formation that allows one," for example.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

FW already did that for the Kytan Daemon engine:

quote:

A Kytan Daemon Engine of Khorne may be used as a Lords of War choice in an army chosen from either the Chaos Space Marines, Khorne Daemonkin or Chaos Daemons Factions. When taken in a Khorne Daemonkin army, the Kytan Daemon Engine has the Blood for the Blood God! special rule (see Codex: Khorne Daemonkin). In addition, it may be selected instead of a Khorne Lord of Skulls in any Detachment where such a war machine is available.

IIRC Space Marines can use Contemptors and the Cataphracti Terminators as equivalent units in their formations too.

I'd imagine they'll eventually get around to adding similar rules for Chaos Contemptors etc. - if not I'm sure any reasonable group will allow it as a house rule anyway.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

FW already did that for the Kytan Daemon engine:

IIRC Space Marines can use Contemptors and the Cataphracti Terminators as equivalent units in their formations too.

I'd imagine they'll eventually get around to adding similar rules for Chaos Contemptors etc. - if not I'm sure any reasonable group will allow it as a house rule anyway.

I wonder if that's going to be in the upcoming Traitor Legions book, like how Contemptors and Cataphractii were in Angels of Death.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

JesusIsTehCool posted:

This is a pretty brutal match up and I'm not surprised.

Just for shits, one game I ran my Orks (I forget the list, but it pretty much consisted of "a shitload of boys") against TheChirurgeon using my Deathwing, and it remains one of like 3 games of 40k I have ever won. By the end of if I was throwing like 75 attacks at Belial and we just did the math on the number of wounds he'd probabilistically take because I didn't have enough dice and rolling would have been a waste of time anyway. It's just too many bodies to wade through and your powerfists don't matter because they weren't getting saves anyway.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

How did a double h flamer underperform against orks? Did you place it in a back corner?

So there were three objectives that were put in the middle of the boad. I deployed first and put my dreadnought as close to the left one as I could. He pretty much just Ignored that side of the table until turn 5 where he rolled a 1 on flashgits ap and was able to get rear armor by flat outing a truck... the got 3 snap fire hits, 1 pen, and an explosion. The dreadnought kept having to be the only thing that could get that objective, like I said he scored me 5 points, so I don't think it was a mistake to put him there.

It was a friendly game and I brought a list I thought I was going to struggle to win with since last time I played his orks with my Dark Angels it was a bit of a stomping. Really thought I was going to lose objectives though. We recorded it and he should have the game up in a few days.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kilazar posted:

Like SRM stated, it's all about the lighting. To be completely honest, you can take a phenomenal photo with a smartphone as long as you have good lighting. On the flip side, a $1000 DSLR will consistently take crap shots if you have bad lighting.

As long as you have a tripod and good lights, you should be able to get good shots. The LED light you have is fine for painting, but you want some sort of omni directional lighting, like a clamp light that you can point directly toward the object. You should have at least two lights, pointing at 45 degree angles from the front toward the subject. Use 60 watt daylight bulbs, if you can. If you have the ability, also have a third light from above to help with cancelling shadows.

Almost as important is your backdrop - you usually want a neutral color, though you can do well with black, as long as you have the right color models. Get some of these and print them out. Barring that, a piece of light blue posterboard or fabric will work as well. Don't be afraid to change out the backdrop colors - you want something that will compliment the model without redirecting the eye.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Guy Goodbody posted:

I love this

Wake up one morning and your skin is blue. Guess the boss likes blue today.

God, that use of value in the new seventh edition makes me bleed out of my eyes. I want to hit the art director in the head.

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne

Lord Twisted posted:

EDIT: Also gently caress yes, we are playing this Catastrophic Damage table for ZM.
I can just about do 1250 points of Alpha Legion for 30k, and the Catastrophic table is the best part of ZM by far. I've got the PDF rules printed for them, if anyone needs them for reference.

Just checked my train, i'm arriving at Nottingham at 10.21 and will be leaving on an 18.47, if anyone is around at those times for taxi sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Like SRM stated, it's all about the lighting. To be completely honest, you can take a phenomenal photo with a smartphone as long as you have good lighting. On the flip side, a $1000 DSLR will consistently take crap shots if you have bad lighting.

As long as you have a tripod and good lights, you should be able to get good shots. The LED light you have is fine for painting, but you want some sort of omni directional lighting, like a clamp light that you can point directly toward the object. You should have at least two lights, pointing at 45 degree angles from the front toward the subject. Use 60 watt daylight bulbs, if you can. If you have the ability, also have a third light from above to help with cancelling shadows.

Almost as important is your backdrop - you usually want a neutral color, though you can do well with black, as long as you have the right color models. Get some of these and print them out. Barring that, a piece of light blue posterboard or fabric will work as well. Don't be afraid to change out the backdrop colors - you want something that will compliment the model without redirecting the eye.

For those sbots the light was actualy in front and a bit above. The bar was going across the cam. That is what I love about this task light. I will try getting two 45 degree spots, and one smaller like the clamp you suggested.

I did notice that with my phone cam and the same light I got better pictures heh.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 2, 2016

• Locked thread