Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

paragon1 posted:

I think there was at least one shot in there that was completely upside down. Great episode. Also did that shot of their shoes at the entrance mean Asuka's mom was in the house while Asuka was laying out how she really feels?

It certainly looked like it. It'll be interesting to see how that affects the outcome of Asuka rejoining the band or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yeh this ep went all out on direction and animation

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
People can have more than one pair of shoes in their hallways/footwells.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Sakuga blog points out that this episode was the debut for Akiko Takase as animation director, which is a rather meteoric rise as she just joined the studio to do key animation 3 years ago. https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2016/12/01/sound-euphonium-2-episode-9/

This will be the main team on Violet Evergarden next year, which hopefully bodes well.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 1, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

good

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Stunning storyboarding this episode.

I loved how personal and real the solo was. Concert G: sometimes sharp, sometimes flat, always.

being asoku is suffering

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Didn't expect the Asuka plot bombs. She's been my fave since S1 and just rose higher after all that. She worked so hard. :saddowns: I swear if she doesn't go to Nationals! i'll get mad

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I liked Reina seeing Taki's picture and then in the next scene gazing contemplatively into space, right at the rings hanging in the train. I don't often immediately pick up on symbolism but that was blatant enough even for me.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Hargrimm posted:

I liked Reina seeing Taki's picture and then in the next scene gazing contemplatively into space, right at the rings hanging in the train. I don't often immediately pick up on symbolism but that was blatant enough even for me.

And the very pointed distance between her and Kumiko on the train as they're each absorbed in their own worries. This show is so good.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This episode reminds me of plays that just drop character megabombs right before the curtain falls.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

another dumb radio show bit. the entire radio show is like this.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

Very lewd.

Edit: This one is good too http://clar-a-m.tumblr.com/post/153666978800/kumiko-and-reina-at-school-more-kumiko-and-reina

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 2, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Idle curiosity - any idea how audio skits these are generally distributed? Actual radio? Bonus features on discs? Online?

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Oh gosh, those skits and the illustrations of them are all adorable.

"Kumiko and Reina at school" is some top tier trolling.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That artist illustrated the rest of the skit too on their tumblr, btw. It is equally adorable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Idle curiosity - any idea how audio skits these are generally distributed? Actual radio? Bonus features on discs? Online?
nico nico douga, usually. some shows like this have a visual element that'd make them not actually able to play on radio, like the blazblue radio show, but they're still called 'radio shows.'

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Spiritus Nox posted:

That artist illustrated the rest of the skit too on their tumblr, btw. It is equally adorable.

URL. NOW.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

URL. NOW.

Here.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Endorph posted:

nico nico douga, usually. some shows like this have a visual element that'd make them not actually able to play on radio, like the blazblue radio show, but they're still called 'radio shows.'

Some are but mostly they originate on web radio sites (onsen.ag hate foreigners so you'd need to listen to any of their shows by alternative means anyway)

e: well, they do both, in this case. Though, the nico stream is set up to be anti-foreigner too.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 2, 2016

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh god, witch asuka is the best thing. It's so nice seeing everyone loosen up a bit, reina the ghost was really good too

https://u.nya.is/fryune.webm

Just the best :3:

https://u.nya.is/udgqiq.webm

Reinaaa~

aaaahh the station concert was adorable but man, asuka... :smith:

Goddamn :stwoon:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

Just caught up with this show recently, and I noticed something about the notebook Asuka's Dad gave her...

Seems to be the same one Kumiko is holding at the prologue of episode 1 when she is outside and the snow is falling..

Don't know what this portends for Asuka's future with the ensemble, bit it's a nice bit of Kyo Ani storytelling.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Doctor Isosceles posted:

Don't know what this portends for Asuka's future with the ensemble, bit it's a nice bit of Kyo Ani storytelling.

Nice catch! My understanding is that third-year students are typically done with club activities by the winter and are focusing on getting into college, so I'm assuming the Nationals are probably over by that point and all of the third-years are retired. If that's the case, then this might be Asuka passing the euphonium baton to Kumiko, but I guess we'll see.

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

On another note, it's fun to watch the emotional investment of our favourite hard-rear end second-advisor Matsumoto-senpai...

After the first competition...

After the Kansai competition...

She's going to be a wreck if they win the gold at nationals.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

After 4 weeks of internal strugglelaziness to put my joke in video form, I've doubled down on my statement made in the OP re:Bari Sax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgyqKPiIc0s

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I translated a thing.

source
and the imgur album, why not

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 7, 2016

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Tears everywhere this episode.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This is the weekly post where I call this show a masterpiece.

That "Can I see your face?" "No. You family will be cursed." exchange was one of the best little character beats I've ever seen.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
We getting 12 or 13 episodes this season?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

StandardVC10 posted:

We getting 12 or 13 episodes this season?

Looks scheduled for 13, and the official website lists 7 volumes of BDs, so it's probably correct.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I just caught up on both seasons and I must say it is quite hosed Up how little Hazuki we've gotten in season 2

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

She's really well written and this is absolutely not a slam on the show, but fuuuuuuuuuck Asuka is loving insufferable. She's a perfect, insufferable teen cynic and I simply cannot stand her.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Tir McDohl posted:

I just caught up on both seasons and I must say it is quite hosed Up how little Hazuki we've gotten in season 2

:agreed:

Also Reina's mad 'bout somethin'. :ohdear:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Tir McDohl posted:

Agreed also. Asuka has always been #1 for me but Hazuki was a very close second and I miss her. At least she'll always have the OVA.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just finished the episode.

gently caress this show's so good.

Also, I'd bet quite a bit from that last shot that Reina has figured out (or guessed) that Kumiko knew Taki was married and didn't tell her. I suspect I'll enjoy next episode quite a bit.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

season 3 when

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

when they decide they're going to change the bonus books to be good

unless there's more of the main novels, in which case, bring it on

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 8, 2016

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i kinda want it to be over after this season unless they want to do a movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they've already set up some stuff from the last set of books (not the bonus books)

and they included that girl from the spinoff novels too

• Locked thread