Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Chairman posted:

Are the load times much better with an SSD? I'm considering getting one this weekend.

Nope. Still awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad I'm playing this in Japanese

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Cindy is fine and virtue signalling about a cheesecake design that does not detract from the character or game is pointless, it's cool if you don't like it and it's cool if you do like it imo

meanwhile, in Lestallum, which I finally reached...

all the girls are the power plant workers? like the power plant is powered exclusively by women power. i don't know why that is, only that it is, and that's pretty neat-o. Iris is cooler than i thought she'd be, albeit the Stroll For Two was a little telegraphed in which direction it was going. Talcott is adorable

i'm beginning to get the sneaking suspicion that we will never recruit Lunafreya even as a guest, and also that she will wind up with her own DLC campaign like that knight girl from Tales of Zestiria so we can see her side of things

i'm also going to go out on a limb with a BOLD PREDICTION and say that this game will likely feature a goddamn apocalyptic ending or bodycount, there's too much feel-good broing out happening despite the fact that my dad probably died and my kingdom is in peril; i don't think any of the bros will betray me but i do think at least one of us is going to die and it will probably be Noctis in a "you all protected me for so long, now it's my turn to protect you" self-sacrifice

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Failboattootoot posted:

I live in South Texas where it's hot as gently caress and the only part of Cindy's outfit I find unreasonable given her locale is those ridiculous leather thighhigh dealies.

Seriously though how the gently caress do you beat coeurls?

The thighhighs are an anime thing

Fight them when you're overleveled

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. Still awful.

Fair enough!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Wait are you telling me there aren't people who sound like Dino in the world? Don't crush my dreams here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lakbay posted:

The thighhighs are an anime thing

Fight them when you're overleveled

What's a safe level for fighting the thighhighs?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serf posted:

Wait are you telling me there aren't people who sound like Dino in the world? Don't crush my dreams here.

There are but you have to time travel back to 1920 to find them.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Just loving lol if you don't like Dino's English voice acting. Like why you even playing ?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

What's a safe level for fighting the thighhighs?

erection lasting 4 or more hours

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm glad I'm playing this in Japanese

It appears I'm missing some crazy "What the Japanese think of American stereotypes" by doing the same. I guess watching too much DBZ as a kid in English and finding out the Japanese dubs were so much better ruined me.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

guts and bolts posted:

meanwhile, in Lestallum, which I finally reached...

all the girls are the power plant workers? like the power plant is powered exclusively by women power. i don't know why that is, only that it is, and that's pretty neat-o. Iris is cooler than i thought she'd be, albeit the Stroll For Two was a little telegraphed in which direction it was going. Talcott is adorable

Not only is the city entirely powered by women it isn't designed to be some 'look at how extremely bad/good this is' it just is and Iris likes it that way. Also lots of attractive men wandering the streets so A+.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Mamma mia that's a spicy gemstone

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Terper posted:

But I'm gonna chalk that up to bad voice acting. No one in that game sounds interested in anything. Cindy and Dino sound like they're having fun.

There's too much lack of emotion, and then suddenly you hear emotion in a character voice, it's weird as poo poo. They made several recordings at several studios, and the English voices are just too loud.

I kinda wanna activate German voices just to see, because they have godlike voice-impersonators in the business, like the 90's German Mel Gibson sounded like Mel goddamned Gibson speaking German right down to capturing his English tone and style.

Definitely beats TUFF GAL LIGHTNING voice being 100% the same all way through.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

There's too much lack of emotion where there should be anything of it. They made several recordings at several studios, and the English voices are just too loud.

I kinda wanna activate German voices just to see, because they have godlike voice-impersonators in the business, like the 90's German Mel Gibson sounded like Mel goddamned Gibson speaking German right down to capturing his English tone and style.

I thought the only voice options were English/Japanese, just with different subtitles.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
People were saying your saved camera shots appear automatically in your PS4's capture gallery? I don't see mine, I only see the trophy screen caps. Is this a setting or something in options I missed?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Just want to pipe in and say that this game is loving fantastic.

Pretty much my 3rd FF game, and I never finished 7 or 10 (The two I played)

Aside from the long travel times (Which are mitigated with AP points because I leveled up the skill) and some of the borish WoW style questing, I love the characters and the story and I am also very glad I watched the movie so I knew what the gently caress was going on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But it was I, Dino!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Who can tell me how to build Prompto so he isn't constantly drawing aggro and being nearly one-shotted? I"m level 30 in chapter 6 and it's getting kind of old having to constantly babysit Prompto in combat. Should I just give him weaker weapons? It would be nice if there were some better tanking skills for Gladio. Or hell, some auto potion administration skills.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Serf posted:

Take a couple of low-ranking goombas from NJ or Staten Island and get them liquored up and you'll probably get something similar.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

ImpAtom posted:

I thought the only voice options were English/Japanese, just with different subtitles.

Europe got the goods. I wanna check out the Spanish voices for a laugh.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Skyrim, not FFXV

e: I guess he and I are talking about different things. The voice acting in FFXV is perfectly fine.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

some real crazy visual artifacts on Ignis's mark skill

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
sidequesting in this game is sort of a chore for the most part, but hunts and chocobo racing rule

dino's quests are okay. i've found a couple pieces of a mystery map that don't have any indication on the menu map as to where they are (?) and when you pick them up, which seems random, they give you an enormous area to search... with, again, absolutely no hint or glittering or anything to indicate where the thing you're looking for actually loving is (????)

sidequests like saving the baby chocobo are fine, sidequests like "hand this guy a repair kit" are terrible

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

MMD3 posted:

Who can tell me how to build Prompto so he isn't constantly drawing aggro and being nearly one-shotted? I"m level 30 in chapter 6 and it's getting kind of old having to constantly babysit Prompto in combat. Should I just give him weaker weapons? It would be nice if there were some better tanking skills for Gladio. Or hell, some auto potion administration skills.

The First Aid skills in the Ascension grid (I think they're under the Recovery tab) give each team member some free heals every battle

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

guts and bolts posted:

sidequesting in this game is sort of a chore for the most part, but hunts and chocobo racing rule

dino's quests are okay. i've found a couple pieces of a mystery map that don't have any indication on the menu map as to where they are (?) and when you pick them up, which seems random, they give you an enormous area to search... with, again, absolutely no hint or glittering or anything to indicate where the thing you're looking for actually loving is (????)

sidequests like saving the baby chocobo are fine, sidequests like "hand this guy a repair kit" are terrible

I knew buying that repair kit would pay off eventually.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You should buy a few repair kits and just hang on to them, there's some more of those scattered around.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

guts and bolts posted:

I stopped sidequesting when I realized most of them were collect 5 frogs or kill a single monster and walk all the way back. I'm worried though that behind those tedious ones there's cool ones I'm missing like the chocobo unlock/Deadeye hunt

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lakbay posted:

I stopped sidequesting when I realized most of them were collect 5 frogs or kill a single monster and walk all the way back. I'm worried though that behind those tedious ones there's cool ones I'm missing like the chocobo unlock/Deadeye hunt

Hunts get progressively more interesting so consider doing those even if you're done with the rest.

And go fishing.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

CharlestonJew posted:

The First Aid skills in the Ascension grid (I think they're under the Recovery tab) give each team member some free heals every battle

Yeah, I have that for him... the first level at least. They're pretty piddly so far, maybe the higher level ones will do more.

For Prompto I'm more looking for a way to equip him or a technique for him that would help him not be the first thing targeted every battle. I mean we have a permanent tank archetype in the party who is apparently lovely at tanking because he's almost always the last one to take significant damage.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Barudak posted:

Hunts get progressively more interesting so consider doing those even if you're done with the rest.

And go fishing.

Yeah, I'm assuming hunting rank is how you eventually unlock some of the most exciting battles in the game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MMD3 posted:

I mean we have a permanent tank archetype in the party who is apparently lovely at tanking because he's almost always the last one to take significant damage.

Threat management is the DPS' job, not the tank's!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

FFXV is a one-sided affair with these sidequests but I see why. They are the people of the country, they know who Noctis is, they treat him like they know him, while he doesn't know poo poo. For the farmer, the ten boars are putting everything at stake and can end up ruining the entire countryside. For Notcis, it's just a lowly pleb farmer, but maybe it's time to be nice and do something for society and pave the way for a nicer future of the country. Hell yeah if I was Noctis I'd be handing out repair-kits like they were antidepressants on November 9th.

On the other hand, they really are badly written and uninspired like all forgettable hell, and Falcom, maybe even GUST or Tri-Ace should be called in to help Square-Enix make better quests for the next FF game. And writing in general that stays solid from start to finish instead of coming in badly paced bursts.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MrLonghair posted:

FFXV is a one-sided affair with these sidequests but I see why. They are the people of the country, they know who Noctis is, they treat him like they know him, while he doesn't know poo poo. For the farmer, the ten boars are putting everything at stake and can end up ruining the entire countryside. For Notcis, it's just a lowly pleb farmer, but maybe it's time to be nice and do something for society and pave the way for a nicer future of the country. Hell yeah if I was Noctis I'd be handing out repair-kits like they were antidepressants on November 9th.

On the other hand, they really are badly written and uninspired like all forgettable hell, and Falcom, maybe even GUST or Tri-Ace should be called in to help Square-Enix make better quests for the next FF game. And writing in general that stays solid from start to finish instead of coming in badly paced bursts.

I think that's my biggest issue with the game that I've been trying to put my finger on. It feels like for as long as this game cooked in the oven they didn't bother giving english translators any time with it or a chance to provide input that would actually help making things more clear and less jarring. The tutorials are pretty lovely and there are largely whole mechanic systems left completely unexplained (elemancy what? I'm level 30 and have cast like 4 fire spells because it's intimidating). It feels like it could be a much much more coherent narrative if only they'd invested in some more localization work. (I have no idea who falcom, gust, or tri-ace are, I'm not a games insider)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Aphrodite posted:

Cool, somebody tell Prompto that :D

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
is the beat em up going to remain pre order only

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Serf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6KEphwQrWE

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
The side quests in this game confuse me so much, because with little or no more effort they could have made them far less meaningless and boring. Why am I, the prince and heir to the throne of some fancy rear end magic city, collecting beans for a cook when I could be collecting a medicinal root for a sick child that is only found in a den of monsters that the other people are too afraid to approach? Its like squeenix went out of their way to give you the most mundane tasks possible.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Aphrodite posted:

A good DPS knows when to throttle his damage, everyone knows that :v:

Lucid Dream posted:

The side quests in this game confuse me so much, because with little or no more effort they could have made them far less meaningless and boring. Why am I, the prince and heir to the throne of some fancy rear end magic city, collecting beans for a cook when I could be collecting a medicinal root for a sick child that is only found in a den of monsters that the other people are too afraid to approach? Its like squeenix went out of their way to give you the most mundane tasks possible.

Hi, have you ever played a final fantasy game before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'What do we do with these sick FMV's we made that don't fit the story anymore?'
'Eh, make Noctis dream em, least we didn't waste the money that way.'

• Locked thread