Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
More guns is a soldier thing. Strapping rockets to your feet that cause you to scream towards an enemy so you can punch them with your glitter fists is a techie thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Crabtree posted:

Would that be more of a Techie thing though?

The mass effect version of Symmetra. With a drone version of Roadhog's hook. Instead of charging into the enemy, pull them into your killzone.

We've already seen the vanguard Ryder use Reinhardt's shield.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 2, 2016

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Crabtree posted:

Would that be more of a Techie thing though?

Let the Soldier have that, it looks like Techie has Flamers galore.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Maybe we can just let soldiers unlock unlimited ammo

e: and let it work on the Cain :getin:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Give Soldiers the Krogan headbutt and blood rage

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I bet that deployable waist-high wall is a Soldier skill.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The Soldier just carries an all purpose gun that assimilates other guns into it so it can change damage styles, absorb more ammo and make sure you never stop firing at least something at someone. We put reaper tech into the palm of your hand, now go play with it.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
The soldier carries a gun that shoots swords. Only they are space swords so they are double effective.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Trespasser was extremely good imho and gives me hope

I didn't get any of the dlcs but DA:I was great and Trespasser looks like it didn't half-rear end anything. I look forward to DA4.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
concept art of soldier gameplay:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tbh i'm kind of overstating my cases about the DA:I companions, they were mostly just boring. The awful sidequest design is what really kept that game from being anything above mediocre for me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's not a worthwhile comparison anyway since Dragon Age is produced by a completely different team and Mass Effect: Andromeda was apparently not up to the quality standards of the dude who wrote Halo 4.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

exquisite tea posted:

It's not a worthwhile comparison anyway since Dragon Age is produced by a completely different team and Mass Effect: Andromeda was apparently not up to the quality standards of the dude who wrote Halo 4.

Almost true. They pulled in a lot of the Inquisition team for this one. Supposedly every Bioware team has had a hand in Andromeda.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's an Oscar Wilde allusion. Of course it would be about homophobia and bigotry.

EDIT: Hahahaha, they just yanked the Witcher Senses from W3 for their "investigation" tool. Follow three footsteps to discover the pile of corpses in the next room.

Is ME:A realistically one of the first games that could really crib from Witcher 3 in terms of timing? I wonder if that's gonna be a big trend going forward.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

marshmallow creep posted:

Almost true. They pulled in a lot of the Inquisition team for this one. Supposedly every Bioware team has had a hand in Andromeda.

Yes because all the higher ups and smart people peaced the gently caress out to other studios rather than keep working on a mass effect game under Mac "Newsboy Cap" Walters

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Is ME:A realistically one of the first games that could really crib from Witcher 3 in terms of timing? I wonder if that's gonna be a big trend going forward.

Witcher 3 was already cribbing detective vision and that scanner tool looks more like a batman device anyway.

What they should have cribbed from the Witcher was the animation and storytelling HEY OH!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Mac Walters is a better writer than Drew Karpyshyn

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mac Walters was also involved with the Mass Effect games people liked.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
New Andromeda Initiative video.

Really comprehensive info on the Arks and the Nexus. Very reminiscent of the Citadel in most ways, to be honest...but lore stuff like this gets me more excited than a dozen NEW poo poo trailers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

marshmallow creep posted:

Witcher 3 was already cribbing detective vision and that scanner tool looks more like a batman device anyway.

What they should have cribbed from the Witcher was the animation and storytelling HEY OH!

They should at least crib high-quality side quests.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Bioware's writing team has been infiltrated by lovely Joss Whedon knockoffs that layer their monkey cheese filth on top of the generally excellent and interesting work done by the lore and world building teams.

This. Anyone who posts anything FIREFLY or BUFFY in their cube should be marched out the loving door and their computer wiped.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Lt. Danger posted:

Mac Walters is a better writer than Drew Karpyshyn

Facts don't seem to bear this out

Alain Post posted:

Mac Walters was also involved with the Mass Effect games people liked.

Peter principle

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Mac Walters and Casey Hudson were Always Bad poo poo has always been hilarious because like, even if you took the idea that Mass Effect 3 was a complete disaster (which I obviously don't, but still), the conclusion would be that two otherwise competent guys screwed up, rather than that they were somehow Always Bad, unless you have the logic of a six-year-old.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Alain Post posted:

The Mac Walters and Casey Hudson were Always Bad poo poo has always been hilarious because like, even if you took the idea that Mass Effect 3 was a complete disaster (which I obviously don't, but still), the conclusion would be that two otherwise competent guys screwed up, rather than that they were somehow Always Bad, unless you have the logic of a six-year-old.

Whether their badness was recent or perpetual, the problem is that Bioware didn't look at the giant turd they laid out and turn into that skid and pull their asses off of those positions. They doubled down for more of the same.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

AlternateAccount posted:

Whether their badness was recent or perpetual, the problem is that Bioware didn't look at the giant turd they laid out and turn into that skid and pull their asses off of those positions. They doubled down for more of the same.

Maybe they thought the guys who made a series of best selling video games would make more good video games. I do not know.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
not sure if 2 games is a series

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I go with what I'm given.

ME1 and 2 were lead written by Drew and they had an overarching tone of optimistic techno-futurism layered over an ominous lovecraftian horror that intersected well given the vastness of space and humanity's nascent roll in a huge and existing galactic society. This was good and interesting.

ME3 was lead written by Mac and had an overarching tone of ooh rah human militarism and used a bunch of cheap narrative devices and other story beats and elements that were completely inconsistent with the first two games.

ME3 had really fun gameplay but the story was a flaming pile of poo poo compared to the first two and Mac and Casey weren't up to the task of resolving the reaper storyline in a coherent way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mass Effect 1 sucked and Drew was by all accounts the big guy on the writing team for that one so i'm down with "Drew was Always Bad"

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Mass Effect 1's gameplay sucked. The writing and story were both very good and the reason the game was successful.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Mass Effect 1's gameplay sucked. The writing and story were both very good and the reason the game was successful.

100x this. The story and tone were perfect.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Drew Karpyshyn's first treatment of Mass Effect (bad guy Saren misuses ancient technology) was so boring Casey Hudson had to intervene to rewrite it.

Mac Walters took on the Lead Writer role mid-way through Mass Effect 2 after Karpyshyn left to write for The Old Republic.

I would not use "optimistic techno-futurism" or "ominous lovecraftian horror" to describe Mass Effect games.

You need to be really careful when you talk about "cheap narrative devices" etc. because Bioware has always used these, even in ME1 and 2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Outside of a few points (well, Ilos, mainly) I was never that impressed with ME1. Worldbuilding was decent, character writing was terrible, and coming into it having played Jade Empire and KOTOR, it all felt very formulaic.

Ilos/Vigil is still one of my favorite moments in the whole series, though. Worth noting that Ilos and Soverign's monologue on Virmire are usually listed as the highlights and these are both infodumps from holograms. Incredible storytelling.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AlternateAccount posted:

100x this. The story and tone were perfect.

I miss the synth riffs.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Strange in a discussion on writing that the first game had two of the most famous and well received lore dumps in RPG history and the third game had the most infamous and ill received lore dump in RPG history and you're arguing that the writing on the first was bad and the third was good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Strange in a discussion on writing that the first game had two of the most famous and well received lore dumps in RPG history and the third game had the most infamous and ill received lore dump in RPG history and you're arguing that the writing on the first was bad and the third was good.

It's almost like I have my own opinions and that I'm not basing it off received wisdom.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Alain Post posted:

It's almost like I have my own opinions and that I'm not basing it off received wisdom.

It's almost like your opinions are really bad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hell, that might be the case. Things would be boring if everyone agreed.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mass Effect 1 was incredible in all ways for its time. Like, we should remember that the western RPG was just about as dead as a doornail in 2007 when Mass Effect came out, and ME1 not only revitalised the genre, it pretty much single-handedly reinvented it. It raised the bar for what people expected from RPGs in general, and took them from a niche speciality product, the contemporary pinnacle of which was the highly questionable Neverwinter Nights 2, into the AAA mainstream.

That said, plenty of the writing as well as the gameplay is lacking from a modern perspective. Tali and Garrus are particularly weak, as is Liara - they're all pretty much just exposition machines for their species, and Liara has the added drag of being a shy nerd who is hopelessly in wuv with Shepard for no adequately explained reason. There are plenty of places where you get a dialogue option but, in fact, picking any given choice on the wheel not only has the same result, it results in Shepard saying exactly the same voice line. The main antagonist, Saren, barely interacts with the player character and in retrospect is not really memorably written. Matriarch Benezia is an evil booby witch.

That said, the lore is really rich and more stringently adhered to there than anywhere else in the trilogy. But I think the game is more important for the amazing new things it did than for the overall quality of its writing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's incredible how little sense ME1's plot makes if you do the plot missions in the "wrong" order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Alain Post posted:

I think they rolled a 1 at the worst time possible