Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Having now (finally) gotten through Dishonored, low chaos on the main game, and high on the DLC: It tries so, so hard to make the action interesting but it just never quite makes it there. Going stealthy but lethal totally works, getting into incredibly brief scraps mostly works, but once you're actively dealing with a whole bunch of enemies head-on instead of using guerilla tactics it's incredibly flimsy and dull. Sword combat lacks depth, the AI doesn't do enough, and there's a ton of ways to just instantly nullify enemies. Stopping time opens up some fun tricks, but it takes a huge investment to unlock, along with any of the other powers to combo with it.

Also, I am in fact disappointed that the DLC didn't take into account how I played the main game. :v: Would've been cool to have four possible endings for Daud. The staging of the ending itself is also a little weird and forced, not actually correlating with what happens in the main game at all, for the sake of ending on a poignant shot.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 13:31 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dishonored falls in to the weird trap of getting easier as you play the game. As soon as you unlock the (ridiculously metal) power to instantly turn dead bodies to ash the game is a cakewalk. Sure, you can ignore that option, but who can resist something that powerful?!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

I played Assassin's Creed (again), and everything that's wrong with it came flooding back.

- 480 collectible, 'find-its" throughout the game with no indication of where they are
- Zero reward for said collectibles

These two mechanics, while individually lovely, actually compliment each other really well.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

well why not posted:

Dishonored falls in to the weird trap of getting easier as you play the game. As soon as you unlock the (ridiculously metal) power to instantly turn dead bodies to ash the game is a cakewalk. Sure, you can ignore that option, but who can resist something that powerful?!

That ability is actually largely useless, if only because by default the game only keeps track of all of like 2-3 bodies at a time before despawning them on its own. :v:

Though now that I think about it, the upgraded version might actually be completely useless.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

These two mechanics, while individually lovely, actually compliment each other really well.

Yeah it's busy work you do for the hell of it. There's no reason to and theres no indication of where they are. It works pretty well

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The flags in AC1 were just there for Achievements on the 360. So they were literally pointless on the PC and PS3 (which didn't have trophies yet when the game was finally ported).

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yeah, I felt the same. I don't know, the combat in 1 and 2 was a slog to begin with but then somehow just clicked for me, which it never did in the like, 5 hours I played 3

And gently caress trying to jump back into that game, like, what the gently caress was I even doing? What did I choose? How do I play the game?? I guess I better restart the whole shebang...

I can agree the combat in Witcher 3 isn't the best, but after a few hours and you get used to it, it's not so bad. Hit, hit, dodge, bomb, hit, dodge. I didn't mind it, anyway.

But, there's literally a quest log you can look at to see what you need to do, so I don't really get the second complaint.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

John Murdoch posted:

That ability is actually largely useless, if only because by default the game only keeps track of all of like 2-3 bodies at a time before despawning them on its own. :v:

lol I don't know if you played Dishonored on the most ghetto rear end computer ever or what because that's not true at all

Were you letting the rats eat your corpses and stuff without noticing?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

well why not posted:

I wish it was more obvious what was and wasn't lethal. The cyclone power kills if you hit the same person with it twice for some reason.

That said, I'm glad that it does because I first used it in the manor party mission and I basically just lugged the one lady on my shoulder while firing cyclones at all the party goers, tossed her down wherever, then cycloned my way out. I love physics explosions.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

lol I don't know if you played Dishonored on the most ghetto rear end computer ever or what because that's not true at all

Were you letting the rats eat your corpses and stuff without noticing?

The game tries to keep no more than 5 bodies in existence by default. Hardware is irrelevant. Edit that value up to 100 in a config file and suddenly all the bodies stick around now.

Evidently you weren't noticing everything disappearing behind you because it is a well-documented problem with the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
As a christmas present for my achievement-hunting friend, I collected all the flag in Assassin's Creed and completed all the converstations for that achievement as well. I think it was one of the best things I've gotten him, quite frankly.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Digirat posted:

The game tries to keep no more than 5 bodies in existence by default. Hardware is irrelevant. Edit that value up to 100 in a config file and suddenly all the bodies stick around now.

Evidently you weren't noticing everything disappearing behind you because it is a well-documented problem with the game.

Wait, seriously? I was completely nonlethal until the last level which is kind of a storm-the-castle affair anyway, so you're right I didn't notice it - I just assumed that corpses would behave like unconscious bodies.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I agree with most the Fallout 4 complaints and will just like to add a minor gripe. Why the hell isn't their a key chain/quest document item in my misc items so I can stop scrolling past so much clutter. I know there are mods that did that, but I'm Xbone it up and want my achievements.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Lavender posted:

I played Assassin's Creed (again), and everything that's wrong with it came flooding back.
Haven't played that game in soooo long. What I remember is that I was mostly enjoying it until the end, when the sneaky stealth game says "gently caress all that stealth poo poo, here's an hour-long grind of sword-fighting." Then the final boss teleports each time you hit him, so you can't get a combo in and do some damage, plus he can one hit kill you. Yeah, I'm probably missing some way of killing him, but I just didn't give a gently caress by that point.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

World Famous W posted:

I agree with most the Fallout 4 complaints and will just like to add a minor gripe. Why the hell isn't their a key chain/quest document item in my misc items so I can stop scrolling past so much clutter. I know there are mods that did that, but I'm Xbone it up and want my achievements.

It's even dumber because I'm reasonably sure the was a keychain in Skyrim (unless that was built into SkyUI).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Morpheus posted:

As a christmas present for my achievement-hunting friend, I collected all the flag in Assassin's Creed and completed all the converstations for that achievement as well. I think it was one of the best things I've gotten him, quite frankly.

I'll be honest, I'd be kinda mad about that, because when I play something I like to do it myself and not have someone invalidate the task completely, even if it's tedious and using a guide. Some of the flags could be in interesting areas that there is otherwise no reason to see - I mean, they aren't, but he'll never know for sure.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

Haven't played that game in soooo long. What I remember is that I was mostly enjoying it until the end, when the sneaky stealth game says "gently caress all that stealth poo poo, here's an hour-long grind of sword-fighting." Then the final boss teleports each time you hit him, so you can't get a combo in and do some damage, plus he can one hit kill you. Yeah, I'm probably missing some way of killing him, but I just didn't give a gently caress by that point.

I got lucky and hit the real Al Mualim instead of his illusions right away.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Veotax posted:

It's even dumber because I'm reasonably sure the was a keychain in Skyrim (unless that was built into SkyUI).

Skyrim and Oblivion did not have a built-in keyring function, but Fallout 3 and New Vegas did.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Inco posted:

Skyrim and Oblivion did not have a built-in keyring function, but Fallout 3 and New Vegas did.

And when you got your gear removed in New Vegas for the Dead Money DLC you got all your keys back at the end... one at a time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I've said it before but keys in open world games suck rear end anyway. There's always thousands more chests than there are keys for them so you're left thinking that this huge dynamic fantasy/dystopian world is full of adept lockpicking experts - after all, if Random NPC #682 can't unlock Master level locks, how on earth could they get dressed in the morning? There's no key in the entire gameworld for that lock!

Then you get the locks with actual keys, and unless you're good at keeping track of this kind of thing you'll end up with every key you need - sometimes several copies of them! - filling up half your inventory. These keys are worthless like Zelda keys - there's never any reason to re-lock something, if the game even gives you a mechanic that allows you to do so in the first place, so why can't the developers throw me a bone here and ditch it/add it to a consolidated keyring after it unlocks the lock that it's keyed to?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Yardbomb posted:

Thing dragging Fallout 4 down, voiced protagonist, for the love of god I hope they learned to just drop it.

I took a vow of silence irl and I'm annoyed that my character in Fallout 4 can speak. The other Fallout games gave you a list of things to say and for my own personal role playing preference I always just imagined it being said through sign language or telepathy or written on a notepad.
With Fallout 4 however, you get "This is you. You speak all the time. You are married. Your spouse also speaks. You have a son. He can't speak yet because he's a baby but just you wait!"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

he's got this shtick where he disregards lore speculation bc he takes anything from the official writers as the word of God yet has the biggest hateboner for new vegas.

That's because the thing that fundamentally drags down New Vegas is that the people who finally did Fallout properly (aka making it a successful mainstream commercial and critical success) didn't make it. It's atavistic fan fiction from the folks who hosed up the series enough to put it in the hands of a proper developer.

Kinda already content, but I'll add a specific example: the climax of the fight for Hoover Dam in NV starts dragging down the minute you realize there isn't going to be a surprise oh-poo poo-the-Super-Mutant-or-Enclave-arent-gone assault to mix things up. It's actually just going to be the same low-interest factions instead of a real Fallout threat.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Dec 2, 2016

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The Moon Monster posted:

This an interesting point. Cause yeah, when I was sick of looking for them, I had no qualms about stopping.

I liked slowly meandering through the world this time, looking for templars, or guessing correctly where I might find a flag. I think when I thought about this 'problem', my thought was, I'd probably keep doing it a bit if there was ANY reason.

But yeah, I think I prefer, "completely hidden but useless" to "shown to you on a map and required".
- Arkham City, I think had on the order of 400-420 riddler things, or hidden find-its, and I felt compelled to do EVERY one.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

That's because the thing that fundamentally drags down New Vegas is that the people who finally did Fallout properly (aka making it a successful mainstream commercial and critical success) didn't make it. It's atavistic fan fiction from the folks who hosed up the series enough to put it in the hands of a proper
Herve Caen's mismanagement of Interplay and destruction of the brand via outsourcing Brotherhood of Steel (and Tactics but some people liked that at least) and canning Van Buren is the responsibility of developers who worked under him?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MisterBibs posted:

That's because the thing that fundamentally drags down New Vegas is that the people who finally did Fallout properly (aka making it a successful mainstream commercial and critical success) didn't make it. It's atavistic fan fiction from the folks who hosed up the series enough to put it in the hands of a proper developer.

Kinda already content, but I'll add a specific example: the climax of the fight for Hoover Dam in NV starts dragging down the minute you realize there isn't going to be a surprise oh-poo poo-the-Super-Mutant-or-Enclave-arent-gone assault to mix things up. It's actually just going to be the same low-interest factions instead of a real Fallout threat.

Enclave are dead and the only really antagonistic supermutants left are the lovely bethesda ones that are basically just ogres in green paint. Like, that's kind of one of the sticking points with why people had some issues with fallout 3's plot, they tried so hard to bring back a conflict that had very clearly finished already in fallout 2 rather than start anything new. For all my grievances with fallout 4, at least the synths and the institute are something new and interesting. Supermutants in that game can get hosed though, I hate fighting them.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

MisterBibs posted:

I like Fallout 3 but its literally Oblivion with Guns and you'd have to be insane to think its a better game than New Vegas, I'll agree that Fallout 3 bought the dormant franchise into the world again but New Vegas builds on it and is just so much better in almost every way.

Beth is still better at world building.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MisterBibs posted:

why does it have to go that way just because other games in the franchise did?

I've never played a Black Isle Fallout and I liked seeing friendly super mutants and night gaunts in new vegas because it added depth to those groups instead of just having a high tier enemy to fight in the endgame. besides fawkes there's nothing in fallout 3 that implies that super mutants may have any sentience.

and Caesars Legion does a pretty good job filling in for the enclave, imo. they're a faction bent on taking over the Mojave and as brutal as their methods are, they're efficient at keeping the peace versus the haphazard organization of the ncr.

that's some good characterization, my dude.

that's more interesting than the fight between the evil government that wants to purge the impure vs power armored king arthur and his brave mechaknights.

if I've spent the whole game investing my time with these factions and trying to figure out who is gonna take over the strip, I'd feel extremely cheated if the game went SUDDENLY SUPER MUTANTS.

also why is a bunch of factions fighting to control a town built by not - Howard Hughes containing an army of securitrons not Fallout-y enough?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Action Tortoise posted:

besides fawkes there's nothing in fallout 3 that implies that super mutants may have any sentience.

What of Uncle Leo?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Sic Semper Goon posted:

What of Uncle Leo?

Due to how Fallout 3's random encounters worked the typical player probably never encountered him or shot him on sight like every Super Mutant.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
^ :respek:

Sic Semper Goon posted:

What of Uncle Leo?

you know, in all my runs I don't think I ever ran into him.😕

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
One gripe of Fallout 4 I have is that weapon modding is a good idea until it goes "Whoa there buddy, you need the rank 4 perk to put this super fire barrel on your laser gun!"

edit: I guess its more that the game level locks the different ranks of the crafting perks.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Dec 2, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Sunswipe posted:

at some point, all the templars know you're around and the assassinations devolve into chase missions.

like what is the point of all this recon if the motherfucker already knows i'm here?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

Enclave are dead and the only really antagonistic supermutants left are the lovely bethesda ones that are basically just ogres in green paint. Like, that's kind of one of the sticking points with why people had some issues with fallout 3's plot, they tried so hard to bring back a conflict that had very clearly finished already in fallout 2 rather than start anything new. For all my grievances with fallout 4, at least the synths and the institute are something new and interesting. Supermutants in that game can get hosed though, I hate fighting them.

You're responding to a complaint that boils down to "I'm mad the climax of the plot didn't throw away the actual plot for a last second twist". MisterBibs is either completely insane or a very consistent troll.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

spit on my clit posted:

One gripe of Fallout 4 I have is that weapon modding is a good idea until it goes "Whoa there buddy, you need the rank 4 perk to put this super fire barrel on your laser gun!"

edit: I guess its more that the game level locks the different ranks of the crafting perks.
Why the hell is being able to build a specific type of workstations tied into local leader instead of that workstations related perk?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The season pass for Fallout 4 is twice the price for the season pass of Witcher 3. Can a jaded Fallout 4 player tell me how on Earth this DLC could be worth 50 bucks?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Herve Caen's mismanagement of Interplay and destruction of the brand via outsourcing Brotherhood of Steel (and Tactics but some people liked that at least) and canning Van Buren is the responsibility of developers who worked under him?

Examples of a franchise that already had too many things dragging it down in the first place, to me. I mean, what higher-up wouldn't look at Van Buren and forsee pretty much everything we know of it being put in a thread like this?

Nuebot posted:

Like, that's kind of one of the sticking points with why people had some issues with fallout 3's plot, they tried so hard to bring back a conflict that had very clearly finished already in fallout 2 rather than start anything new.

It's Fallout, and it needs to have Super Mutants loving about left-and-right to be worth its salt. No Super Mutants being active and around drags down a Fallout game, for me. If you're setting a Fallout game somewhere where Super Mutants are gone, your setting drags a Fallout game down, and you should step back and wonder if you're forgetting that the Scouring Of The Shire was cut from the movies for good reasons.

New Vegas's post-post apocalyptic setting drags the game down, for me. It's a setting that sailed.

Action Tortoise posted:

also why is a bunch of factions fighting to control a town built by not - Howard Hughes containing an army of securitrons not Fallout-y enough?

A bunch of mundane humans fighting over some relic that no longer matters to the setting isn't Fallouty enough, for me.

New Vegas's failed attempt to get me interested in some low-level factions (doubly so because of a lack of go-anywhere design, which was a drag-down) dragged the game down for me. After I deliver the Chip, there's nothing keeping me there. It's not the Capitol from 3, and it's not 4's setting.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You're responding to a complaint that boils down to "I'm mad the climax of the plot didn't throw away the actual plot for a last second twist". MisterBibs is either completely insane or a very consistent troll.

If you're playing a Fallout game where the main plot doesn't have something to do with Super Mutants or the Enclave, it's dragging the game down for me. Have the NCR/Caesar stuff set up the story long enough to get to the actual meaty stuff, fine, but having that be the central thing? That's going in the dragging-me-down checklist.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Dec 2, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

spit on my clit posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if the highest rank crafting perks didn't take a huge investment to get. In my latest run I'm like level 20+ and I've only put my points into crafting perks and unlocking/hacking.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The season pass for Fallout 4 is twice the price for the season pass of Witcher 3. Can a jaded Fallout 4 player tell me how on Earth this DLC could be worth 50 bucks?

Unless you really, really like building settlements (and halfassed pointless production facilities or ball machines), it ain't.

Ain't done the Nuka one though, so it might redeem it all.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

This an interesting point. Cause yeah, when I was sick of looking for them, I had no qualms about stopping.

I liked slowly meandering through the world this time, looking for templars, or guessing correctly where I might find a flag. I think when I thought about this 'problem', my thought was, I'd probably keep doing it a bit if there was ANY reason.

But yeah, I think I prefer, "completely hidden but useless" to "shown to you on a map and required".
- Arkham City, I think had on the order of 400-420 riddler things, or hidden find-its, and I felt compelled to do EVERY one.

Yeah, that's my problem with modern erase-icons-off-the-map-'em-ups (a genre that is somehow still growing AND consuming established franchises? Hey MGS, Zelda, Final Fantasy...). I feel sort of compelled to get all of the icons even if I don't find it fun and they don't give any particularly great reward. I've gotten good at identifying when the returns have sufficiently diminished and just running straight through the critical path, but it's still kind of a crappy feeling to leave all this stuff in this game I've paid for undone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Tiggum posted:

Just curious, which part of that sounds wrong?

The "phone" part? I have never heard that down here, maybe just say "call a friend"? This is just being very nitpicky though.