Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer
http://steamcommunity.com/id/NevermindNev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Somebody must have beat me to it, you're in Goonintide.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That moment when you try to backdodge away from Roger, get stopped, and turn to check if you've run into a wall...and no, it's 4 stormvermin.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

SuperKlaus posted:

Treasure just for logging in! A new one every day until Christmas, I think - a Warhammer advent calendar. Blue volley crossbow today; especially cool for non-Drachenfels players like I still am!

Thanks for the heads up. I got a blue volley too, seems it's the same for all. Glad I don't have to run drachenfels 6 times a day now for the privilege of not even seeing it on the loot table. Now all I need are 300 blue tokens to upgrade it :shepspends:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Night10194 posted:

That moment when you try to backdodge away from Roger, get stopped, and turn to check if you've run into a wall...and no, it's 4 stormvermin.

Same but a small plank of wood on the floor that has collision for reasons

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Phase 2 of the OB is already upon us.

PHASE 2 CHANGELOG
Fixed bug that caused Stormvermin to shrink when it ragdolled
Fixed bug that made it possible for enemies to get pinned on breakable objects
Fixed issue with Rack of Masterbrew Vials that caused the trinket to rotate wrong when equipped
Fixed bug that caused handgun to sometimes fire after using consumable
Added a Dwarf corpse. Find it.. if you dare
Fixed bug that caused enemies to slide
Fixed rare crash occurring where no place could be found to spawn a horde
Fixed rare crash when gutter runner failed to pounce target from a high ledge
Fixed crash that could occur when encountering Ratling Gunner while having low FPS
Fixed crash that could occur when Loot Rat played a specific animation
Tweaked Devastating Blow's severity based on weapon size
Tweaked True Flight to 'feel better'. Give it a go. Let us know what you think!
Chain of Fire: Fixed spawning bugs
Chain of Fire: Added extra space in the trading post area
Chain of Fire: Fixed bug that caused subtitle error on the end event
Chain of Fire: Improved pressure plate functionality on end event
Chain of Fire: Improved the volume system for triggering plate
Man the Ramparts: Fixed a bug that caused noticeable portions of the environment to disappear
Smuggler's Run: Fixed bug that prevented sound from playing

I don't see why people had to be forced to redownload the 7gb of patch 1.4.3 just to push the 10gb OB out again for mostly middling changes so soon.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am going to stab so goddamn many rats with my beautiful elf-shivs.

I wonder what 'made the Trueflight 'feel' better' means.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Night10194 posted:

I am going to stab so goddamn many rats with my beautiful elf-shivs.

I wonder what 'made the Trueflight 'feel' better' means.

Removed it :getin:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, uh, got to test a crossbow with the new patch and it basically does the damage of the handgun, with more targets pierced, better ammo and reload, and more style.

You pay for it with not having hitscan. Fair trade.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Mendrian posted:

Yeah hard is a good place to start.

You don't need good gear to play the game and in fact you will probably not notice a dramatic difference in gear-based performance until you've got some really good stuff under your belt, so it's only really on the higher Nightmare+ that you're going to really feel the difference between green and blue or between blue and orange items. Playing on Easy/Normal is good for learning maps but can actually teach you bad habits that don't translate well into the higher difficulties. For instance, the most important resource in the game is team health - anything you can do to prevent the loss of your health or the health of your teammates is more important than anything else. There are infinite rats, but you don't have infinite health. But on Easy/Normal, it can sometimes feel worth it to lose a little health to kill a bunch of rats. That's less true higher up.

As said, not getting hit is way more important than killing rats, generally. Learn to block and dodge and push as part of your regular dance of death.

Never stop looking around. I get killed by clanrats more than I care to admit, probably more frequently than I get killed by ogres, packmasters, and assassins combined. They have a magnetic attraction to your butt and the butts of your teammates, so never stop watching that flank.

The elf being bad is a thread meme but it's not really true. It's just that, for some reason, bad players love the elf. Also her character is a whiny jerk.

Which characters have you enjoyed playing so far?

Thanks! I have mostly played the dwarf and the soldier, as my first draw will always be toward the big beefy characters.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is this a different beta or is this going in the main branch?

If it's a separate beta it really feels like they could have just kept the first one going and patched it. But the important thing is that they haven't un-buffed the important stuff, although they still have two weeks to thoroughly defun the game so we'll see

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've noticed Kruber's sword and shield can one-shot rats with the sword if you catch them in the head now.

At last, a reason to use the sword rather than treating the Sword And Shield as 'Kruber Beats Everything To Death With a Riot Shield.'

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I've had this game since the spring steam sale and I finally got around to installing it. Much fun was had. Much deaths.

I feel PUGs are the devil though...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you run scavenger you'll want regrowth normal because regrowth charged only goes up to 3%, and the normal attack always did kill dudes faster because the charge attack only damages 1 rat at a time. The charge attack just happens to be way better at preventing hits from leaking in and has the best CC of any weapon in the game, so it's safer to err on the side of charge attacks over normal attacks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Blunderbuss is actually good now. Two shots to the gut at point blank will kill a Stormvermin just fine, and Str Potioned it will wipe out whole squads of the drat things. Not to mention what it does to normal rats. And the Bonk.

Rip and tear, Kruber. Rip and tear until it is done.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What are good traits for the blunderbuss? I assume mastercrafted, but what about rupture? Targeteer?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Night10194 posted:

I've noticed Kruber's sword and shield can one-shot rats with the sword if you catch them in the head now.

At last, a reason to use the sword rather than treating the Sword And Shield as 'Kruber Beats Everything To Death With a Riot Shield.'

it's nice that they've actually seemed to realize that not being able to reliably kill the chaff rats in a game where you're frequently swarmed by a million of them is kind of a poo poo trait for a weapon

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mzbundifund posted:

What are good traits for the blunderbuss? I assume mastercrafted, but what about rupture? Targeteer?

I have Targeteer, Mastercrafted, and Extra Ammo. Kinda wish I had Rupture but so far if I get a good cloud of rats it's pretty good about reducing them to a literal cloud of rats even without it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'd go with mastercrafted, rupture, and bloodlust myself. this is possible per verminguide, and anything that kills multiple rats is great for health regen.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rupture is somewhat superfluous on the blunderbuss as it already has 1 built in penetration, but there's situations where it would probably clean up. With a strength potion and rupture, I bet it could legitimately go toe to toe with the 20 storm squads you can see on cataclysm now.

Mine has master crafted, targeteer and regrowth 12%. It was extremely solid in the beta because master crafted either wasn't nerfed on it or they did the same thing with the base reload speed that they did to the handguns, while leaving active reload intact.

The shotguns with targeteer were killing gunners at hilarious ranges in the beta. It's quite important because the crosshair covers half the screen without it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah the bus has way more spread than the raker, which I like. Even not in beta I was able to blast gas rats at mid range with it though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

i'd go with mastercrafted, rupture, and bloodlust myself. this is possible per verminguide, and anything that kills multiple rats is great for health regen.

This is a good point, and it gives me an idea. Does anyone know if the scavenger perk can proc multiple times per shot? If you reroll until you get the full 20% scavenger chance per kill and then kill 5 rats with a blunderbuss shot, that's a 67% chance of getting at least one bullet back, and a 26% chance of getting more than one. I assume scavenger can also proc off rifle butting, so you could actually play no-melee weapon with this thing if scavenger works this way. Killing three rats with a shot is still about 50/50 odds of getting at least one bullet back.

Digirat posted:

The shotguns with targeteer were killing gunners at hilarious ranges in the beta. It's quite important because the crosshair covers half the screen without it.

My concern with Targeteer is losing some ability to kill many small rats (due to narrower cone of effect) in exchange for the ability to kill specials at longer range. I grant this is obviously not a concern 99% of the time because Kruber has so many melee options that excel at crushing small rat hordes, but this is entirely for a gimmick shotgun-only shotgun. How much screen real estate can you cover with a targeteer'd blunderbuss?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mzbundifund posted:

My concern with Targeteer is losing some ability to kill many small rats (due to narrower cone of effect) in exchange for the ability to kill specials at longer range. I grant this is obviously not a concern 99% of the time because Kruber has so many melee options that excel at crushing small rat hordes, but this is entirely for a gimmick shotgun-only shotgun. How much screen real estate can you cover with a targeteer'd blunderbuss?

About as much as a non-targeteer grudgeraker.

Mephit
May 5, 2010
If you're on the fence about the game, you can grab the base a bit cheaper via the Humble Monthly bundle. It says with DLC, though not quite sure which it comes with.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I haven't played in a while and only really ever did the first 3 missions. I might jump back in and try and group with the new people jumping in from the bundle.

The OP doesn't mention DLC. What DLC /free patch changes have their been?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nevvy Z posted:

I haven't played in a while and only really ever did the first 3 missions. I might jump back in and try and group with the new people jumping in from the bundle.

The OP doesn't mention DLC. What DLC /free patch changes have their been?

The loot system has been expanded so that there's more ways to actually get things now, three new missions with another three coming in two weeks, some new weapons, and a wave-based survival mode with one free map and one paid.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Holy poo poo the normal Swiftbow is actually fun to use now.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

Mzbundifund posted:

This is a good point, and it gives me an idea. Does anyone know if the scavenger perk can proc multiple times per shot? If you reroll until you get the full 20% scavenger chance per kill and then kill 5 rats with a blunderbuss shot, that's a 67% chance of getting at least one bullet back, and a 26% chance of getting more than one. I assume scavenger can also proc off rifle butting, so you could actually play no-melee weapon with this thing if scavenger works this way. Killing three rats with a shot is still about 50/50 odds of getting at least one bullet back.

Scavenger for sure will proc off kills with the butt end of both the grudge raker and the blunderbuss. Not sure how it's calculated when killing many rats with a single blast, but it seems to keep me rolling in rounds well enough that I doubt that it reduces a 6 kill shot into a single 20% roll.

Also: regarding traits: my grudge is bloodlust, scavenger, and extra capacity, with the 'bus trading extra capacity for master crafted.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Digirat and I went on shotguns-only runs tonight.

Scavenger blunderbuss trip report:

1) It definitely rolls the scavenger chance for every rat you hit. In big swarms I was getting my shot back 70-80% of the time.

2) It does not seem possible to scavenge more than one ammo per shot, no matter how many rats you kill with it. I never got 2 ammo back even from shooting in big swarms.

3) Scavenger definitely procs on the rifle butt.

4) :siren: Scavenger procs on the rifle butt even if the rat you hit does not die. :siren: We were just rifle butting the same stormvermin over and over with the blunderbuss / grudge raker, looting almost a dozen shotgun shells off him. Don't tell Fatshark!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Stormvermin and ratlings now bring back fond memories of my childhood with friends, when we used to whack shotgun shells out of a giant furious rat-man piņata and an elf stood behind us shouting :byodame: YURR INEFFEHCTIV, GOU FUR THE HEDD :byodame:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Digirat posted:

Stormvermin and ratlings now bring back fond memories of my childhood with friends, when we used to whack shotgun shells out of a giant furious rat-man piņata and an elf stood behind us shouting :byodame: YURR INEFFEHCTIV, GOU FUR THE HEDD :byodame:

This is the greatest vidjagame ever made.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The Scottish accent comes through pretty often. In Wheat and Chaff I identify a "cannae" in her voice often.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
If that's how Scavenger works, presumably heal-on-hit works the same way? Ie it's better on things like the 2h hammer or BW sword that hit large numbers of targets on their secondary?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Neat. The Red Dual Daggers are on the bounty board now.

Certainly beats a blue conflagration staff and a green trinket.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm tempted to get them because I think Backstab would let me kill fast enough with daggers not to need a heal trait, especially with Devblow fixed and how long and fast dagger-dodges are.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I dunno what you pricks are all doing but bolt thrower and I are killing rats RIGHT NOW

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The 1h Axes can one-shot a packmaster on Nightmare with light attacks :allears:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Nice. It was able to one shot them with charged attacks in nightmare before.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Strangely enough in Cataclysm the Light and Power attack do the same damage to it.

But opening up with Drakefires and then slashing is good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

What weapon should I give the AI elf so she doesn't die constantly?

• Locked thread