Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Nate Silver reporting that Trump was +8 with non-college white voters

turns out Trump wasn't a weak candidate in any way that mattered

How does this compare with Romney and GW Bush? My sneaking suspicion is that Republicans will come out to vote no matter how odious their candidate is which has been displayed time and time again. I think in the current climate there is no such thing as a "bad" Republican candidate since they will get a certain segment of the voters to crawl over broken glass to vote for them while the Democrats do not have that leniency for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Vince for president because he's clearly way better at selling things.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Radish posted:

How does this compare with Romney and GW Bush? My sneaking suspicion is that Republicans will come out to vote no matter how odious their candidate is which has been displayed time and time again. I think in the current climate there is no such thing as a "bad" Republican candidate since they will get a certain segment of the voters to crawl over broken glass to vote for them while the Democrats do not have that leniency for whatever reason.

It's a lot easier to lean into peoples' existing fears/hatreds than it is to get people to agree that you are going to fix the problems "enough", basically.

If you can get 6 million people who are psyched about erasing Obama's presidency, building a wall, and/or "LOCK HER UP", then that's all you need, apparently. Meanwhile, for like most of those people, the entire cabinet being stacked with homophobes and climate deniers is probably just a bonus.

They will jump through every mental hoop they can to excuse Trump for doing whatever the opposite of "draining the swamp" is, too. Flooding the swamp? Goldman Sachs guy.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Radish posted:

I didn't word the statistic right, I'm talking about this conclusion he demonstrated:

quote:

In the 10 states with the largest share of white voters without college degrees, Trump beat his polling average by an average of 8 percentage points — a major polling miss. But in the 10 states with the lowest share of white voters without college degrees, Clinton beat her polls by an average of 3 points (or 4 points if you count the District of Columbia as a state). Overall, the correlation between the share of white non-college voters in a state and the amount by which Trump overperformed (or underperformed) his polls is quite high.2

He also points out that the national level polling was pretty good - Clinton's going to end up well within margin of error (like 2.5+)of where most polls had her sitting - about +4. The problem is that she didn't have those advantages in the right places - California went much more blue than it typically does, but every new California vote was a complete waste for her.

Basically, if she took all her Florida money and effort and drops that in Pennsylvania/Wisconsin/Michigan - boom, she's the president.

edit: Also, it's difficult to measure candidate performance from election to election by demographic, because you can only get that info from exit polls, which are notoriously unreliable. Any conclusion you draw from exit polling needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Radish posted:

The GOP voter lives in a world of constant fear. They are constantly bombarded with Important People telling them that their position in society, livelihoods, religion, and even their very lives are under imminent threat and the GOP are the only ones who will protect you. Is it any surprise that they are reliable voters?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Khisanth Magus posted:

The GOP voter lives in a world of constant fear. They are constantly bombarded with Important People telling them that their position in society, livelihoods, religion, and even their very lives are under imminent threat and the GOP are the only ones who will protect you. Is it any surprise that they are reliable voters?

They're also really big on "duty" as a concept.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I'm not surprised about it, it's just something that needs to be factored into future elections. Democrats constantly trying to get moderate Republicans to cross over needed to be dropped four years ago at the latest but Hillary of course kept trying.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Radish posted:

Yeah I'm not surprised about it, it's just something that needs to be factored into future elections. Democrats constantly trying to get moderate Republicans to cross over needed to be dropped four years ago at the latest but Hillary of course kept trying.

Definitely a mistake.

I found the data you're looking for:
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/behind-trumps-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education/

White college educated voters moved 10 points towards Clinton from Obama in '12. She did about as well with that demographic as Obama did in '08, which is better than I expected.

White non-college-educated voters went 14 points more towards Trump than they did for Romney.

It's pretty clear that the analysis is correct - Hillary's failure to connect to non-college whites is the reason she lost. I'm not sure running to the left is going to fix that.

(I still think the Democrats should move left because there's just no point to centrism anymore. Country's too polarized, thirdwayism is definitely dead).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I don't really have the magic answer the Democrats are looking for but moving to the left and selling that seems like a better bet than the feckless centrism that everyone outside of "socially liberal fiscally conservative" upper class people hates. Anyone tied to Clinton from last election should leave since there is no way they aren't totally unelectable.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Radish posted:

Yeah I don't really have the magic answer the Democrats are looking for but moving to the left and selling that seems like a better bet than the feckless centrism that everyone outside of "socially liberal fiscally conservative" upper class people hates. Anyone tied to Clinton from last election should leave since there is no way they aren't totally unelectable.

Well, with time, it seems very difficult for the country not to bank hard to the left with demographic trends. But that's a long, long road with a ton of corpses scattered along it.

If we held the same election we just had with 2020 projected demographics I'm pretty sure Clinton would be the winner. The Democrats should, in theory, win unless Trump improves on his turnout this year* or they float another candidate as unpopular as Clinton.

Which could happen - Trump's going to get credit for the next year of economic numbers (that are based on things done under Obama) and he might very well get credit for when we finish crushing ISIS, and then there's the ever-present incumbent advantage.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

deadly_pudding posted:

It's a lot easier to lean into peoples' existing fears/hatreds than it is to get people to agree that you are going to fix the problems "enough", basically.

Clinton forgot the primary differences between her potential voters and Trump's. Conservatives vote on their fears; liberals vote on their hopes.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

theflyingorc posted:

Well, with time, it seems very difficult for the country not to bank hard to the left with demographic trends. But that's a long, long road with a ton of corpses scattered along it.

If we held the same election we just had with 2020 projected demographics I'm pretty sure Clinton would be the winner. The Democrats should, in theory, win unless Trump improves on his turnout this year* or they float another candidate as unpopular as Clinton.

Which could happen - Trump's going to get credit for the next year of economic numbers (that are based on things done under Obama) and he might very well get credit for when we finish crushing ISIS, and then there's the ever-present incumbent advantage.

The GOP will have 4 years of completely unopposed and unrestricted voter suppression come 2020. That will probably easily counter demographics trends.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Khisanth Magus posted:

The GOP will have 4 years of completely unopposed and unrestricted voter suppression come 2020. That will probably easily counter demographics trends.

Meant to include that. We'll see. There's always the chance the Supreme Court won't go for it even with whoever Trump's new justice is. Right now the worst we'll see is a reset to where we were before Scalia died.

edit: Wait, it's gerrymandering that we're not sure of their stances. There's not much more teardown to do on voter supression.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

KomradeX posted:

Acting like the Democratic party actually advances any of it's supposed left wing ideas is pure loving madness. Christ it took Gay Republicans to make gay marriage a national thing because Democrats didn't actually want to push to hard for gay rights, in case that alienated some "moderates."

Wait, what? How did this happen? I know it was the Log Cabin Republicans who were instrumental in striking down DADT, but I guess I missed this part. (Not American.)

If it went down the way you say, then that's... really loving shameful, tbh.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

theflyingorc posted:

Or they go full Russia and start unilaterally appointing armed "voting supervisors" to deal with any "disruptive presences" at the ballots

Like seriously, I have not yet found a convincing argument that the "moderate" republicans are not spineless enough to stop the Tea Party from instituting an actual, real dictatorship

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

It's pretty clear that the analysis is correct - Hillary's failure to connect to non-college whites is the reason she lost. I'm not sure running to the left is going to fix that.

Really? Because a lot of leftist policies favor blue-collar workers, a lot of whom are non-college educated. With real Leftism you get things like universal healthcare (great for the working class especially), free college (again, really great for non-college educated folks, who can now get degrees), high minimum wage (again, great for large portions of working class) and more.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

Really? Because a lot of leftist policies favor blue-collar workers, a lot of whom are non-college educated. With real Leftism you get things like universal healthcare (great for the working class especially), free college (again, really great for non-college educated folks, who can now get degrees), high minimum wage (again, great for large portions of working class) and more.

Yeah, I wouldnt count on people voting in their economic interests because of how deep their identity politics runs.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think the actual policies play all that well with the voters, but the act of presenting ideas and policies plays a hell of a lot better with them than what HRC did.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I'd recommend this resource for any theorycrafting. http://www.cnn.com/election/results/exit-polls

My current theory is America is dumb.

code:
were debates a factor in your vote?
		clinton trump other/no answer
yes 82%		47%	48%	5%
no  11% 	41%	49%	10%
code:
importance of debates to your vote
			clinton	trump\	other/no answer
most important factor
		25%	51%	47%	2%
an important factor
		38%	50%	45%	5%
a minor factor
		19%	37%	58%	5%
not a factor
		11%	41%	49%	10%
25 percent of Americans thought the debates were the most important part of the campaign and 47% voted for Trump. America thought Trump won those debates.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 3, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JeffersonClay posted:

I'd recommend this resource for any theorycrafting. http://www.cnn.com/election/results/exit-polls
Wow, this has almost all the data I was hoping to see.

There are like ten others as nuts as this.

edit: a whole bunch of Trump voters answered "neither of them" to questions about who was trustworthy and qualified and so on. I guess many voters just wanted change and didn't care what form it came in...but I guess that's not news.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 3, 2016

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
America is full of neoliberals

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 3, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Khisanth Magus posted:

Right. It barely matters whatever lessons the Democrats learn from this cycle if GOP control means democracy is undermined enough that a perfect candidate with a perfect strategy still can't get elected for reasons that aren't their fault anymore.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
:argh:: Christians are a bunch of loving bigots who are actively ruining our country. They are a lost cause and pandering to them just weakens Hillary's message.

:allears:: You are such a bigot. Christians are great people. Stop being such a bigot, Shbobdb.

:angel:: Let's all vote Trump by massive margins!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
*historic* margins, to be precise.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

:argh:: Christians are a bunch of loving bigots who are actively ruining our country. They are a lost cause and pandering to them just weakens Hillary's message.

:allears:: You are such a bigot. Christians are great people. Stop being such a bigot, Shbobdb.

:angel:: Let's all vote Trump by massive margins!

Let's keep calling out Christian bigotry where we see it, and working with progressive Christians where they exist.

We're all in this together, even the sadly misled.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Let's keep calling out Christian bigotry where we see it, and working with progressive Christians where they exist.

We're all in this together, even the sadly misled.

No, let us all call them useless bigots to their faces that will get them to vote team d.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Crowsbeak posted:

No, let us all call them useless bigots to their faces that will get them to vote team d.

Let's keep chasing the middle! We can convert moderate Republicans. Motivate our base? Ew, no way! Look at the success Hillary, Kerry and Gore enjoyed running from the base.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

You can make fun of them for believing 2000 year old Middle Eastern fanfiction once you do that, so I'm game.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Die Sexmonster! posted:

You can make fun of them for believing 2000 year old Middle Eastern fanfiction once you do that, so I'm game.

Good luck with GOP rule.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Crowsbeak posted:

Good luck with GOP rule.

Yes, the Clinton/Kaine strategy did wonders at preventing that from happening!

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Remember there are people here who have honestly argued that to actively campaign on economic issues is to throw minorities under the bus.

Hence why you have a Trump president.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, Remember the 'why do people hate Hillary Clinton' thread?

That thread was a disaster, and I got this red text avatar for trying to explain why telling people to vote for Clinton because she's a woman and should be in the white house can really turn away someone who is meritocratic. I said it sounds like trying to get a video game achievement instead of voting based on policy.

All the articles saying any criticism of her was sexist or that we should vote for her because we 'need' a woman in the white house was only made into ammunition against Hillary and her 'woman card' by all the right wing media sites who eagerly tore into that stuff made and used it to show off how insane her supporters were, and made Hillary and her supporters look worse.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
yeah but what about world of warcraft

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

is there a name for when two goons simultaneously and sarcastically adopt strawmen of each other's perceived positions? its like some weirdo hosed up internet square dance

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shbobdb posted:

Yes, the Clinton/Kaine strategy did wonders at preventing that from happening!

Not all Christians are fygm republicans.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Crowsbeak posted:

Not all Christians are fygm republicans.

If they're white, the ones that aren't amount to a rounding error.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shbobdb posted:

If they're white, the ones that aren't amount to a rounding error.

Rounding error huh?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/how-the-faithful-voted-a-preliminary-2016-analysis/

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Wow. Hillary's constant pandering to Christians really paid off, didn't it?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Good luck with GOP rule.

There were atheist Founding Fathers, hell will be arisen if the GOP tries to infringe on freedom from religion.

They'll poke holes in it, they always have. But I'm not actually concerned (yet). Give me President Bachman, then I'll be concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Die Sexmonster! posted:

There were atheist Founding Fathers, hell will be arisen if the GOP tries to infringe on freedom from religion.

They'll poke holes in it, they always have. But I'm not actually concerned (yet). Give me President Bachman, then I'll be concerned.

Yeah and think of all the poor that will be hosed. Because your pride demands that you scream at people for their belief in a book.

@shbobd did I say pander? I said don't scream at them and declare them bigots.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 3, 2016

• Locked thread