Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Reggie almost got through the entire night without things getting weird and people bringing things up but then it happened at dinner.

https://twitter.com/CEOJebailey/status/804571588699963392

Same.

Stux posted:

also its always rly weird, to me, to see regular people somehow against other people getting paid more. very weird. unless you are the CEO of EA or something

It always comes from the bitter "I have a job too and I don't get paid what I want so you shouldn't either" aspect no matter what the topic is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

There are good podcasts about bad books, and good podcasts about bad movies. Any good podcasts about bad video games someone could recommend?

:shrug:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

is that matt halpern lmao

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hahaha, oh my god Boogie got a "Trending Gamer Award" and a hug from some EA CEO during the TGA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV2h9wWj4_Y&t=100s

The more videos I see from these awards the better it gets.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

There are good podcasts about bad books, and good podcasts about bad movies. Any good podcasts about bad video games someone could recommend?

Abject Suffering is fun if you gel with the hosts sense of humor and can tolerate the odd episode that's dominated by :goonsay: about sports/music/identity politics.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The Schick Hydro-Man is the only thing about the Game Awards that matters.

https://twitter.com/TieTuesdayLP/status/804518627022176256

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Heads up to anyone who is going to play the TF2 free weekend. When/if you ever get through to download it, the game Origin prompts you to download it Titanfall, not Titanfall 2. Just farted around downloading and installing for an hour and didn't realize. You have to go into your Game Library and specify you want to download TF2. Why.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Abject Suffering is fun if you gel with the hosts sense of humor and can tolerate the odd episode that's dominated by :goonsay: about sports/music/identity politics.

Oh yeah. I think Watch Out for Fireballs is real good but I just don't think those guys are very funny... Better than your average YouTube "Angry Gamer Guyz" of course

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

deadly_pudding posted:

The Schick Hydro-Man is the only thing about the Game Awards that matters.

https://twitter.com/TieTuesdayLP/status/804518627022176256

So that's gonna be one of the monsters in Dripping Wet or whatever it's called?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
what happened in the death stranding trailer

why is there a baby in a portable container

why is that one dude bleeding out of his eyes and also is doc ock's cousin

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

boy are my arms tired posted:

i'll keep coming

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
There's an upsidedown rainbow in one of the shots

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Telltale making a Guardians of the Galaxy game is really good news, if Tales from the Borderlands is anything to go by.

:iiafetusmetaphor:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i took a really regrettable leap into the rabbithole of fan theories based on 4 minute teaser trailers and jesus christ its weird

del toro lookin good though, glad he got to work on a game with kojima *pours a 40 for PT*

e: https://www.reddit.com/r/DeathStranding/comments/5g1nlf/the_game_takes_place_in_limbo/ this dude lmao

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

Telltale making a Guardians of the Galaxy game is really good news, if Tales from the Borderlands is anything to go by.

It's also very mixed news, if their entire catalogue is anything to go by.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

i took a really regrettable leap into the rabbithole of fan theories based on 4 minute teaser trailers and jesus christ its weird

del toro lookin good though, glad he got to work on a game with kojima *pours a 40 for PT*

e: https://www.reddit.com/r/DeathStranding/comments/5g1nlf/the_game_takes_place_in_limbo/ this dude lmao

Any fan theory that isn't just "Mads Mikkelsen is a cool techno-necromancer" and that's it is reaching way too goddamn far. But he's definitely a cool techno-necromancer and I'm probably going to be bummed out that I don't get to play as him.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah I dunno what is going on with Death Stranding, but drat I want to play it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

To be honest kojima probably doesn't even know what the game is at this point

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I have a feeling that Death Stranding's either gonna be a real loving good videogame or a self-absorbed, pretentious wankfest that'll cause a lot of people to sympathize with Konami all of a sudden...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mordja posted:

I have a feeling that Death Stranding's either gonna be a real loving good videogame or a self-absorbed, pretentious wankfest that'll cause a lot of people to sympathize with Konami all of a sudden...

It's Kojima, it can be both.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Hideo Kojima watched eXistenZ while reading MGS slash mpreg fanfiction. The next day at at work he writes "more umbilical cords" on the whiteboard and underlines it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mordja posted:

So MGSV then?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

After last night's Geoff sobfest I honestly felt a lot more sympathy for Konami.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Has anyone seen Hideo Kojima and David Cage in the same room? I'm thinking Death Stranding is going to be Heavy Rain crossed with Silent Hill.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

for real though here's the deal with death stranding from kojima: mankind invented sticks to keep away evil and ropes to bind together things we love. most games are about sticks. death stranding is about rope

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Has anyone seen Hideo Kojima and David Cage in the same room? I'm thinking Death Stranding is going to be Heavy Rain crossed with Silent Hill.

Don't be silly. Hideo Kojima doesn't include scenes of brunettes showe-

Oh. Oh poo poo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

Maybe an actual sequel starring Shield Knight? That'd be cool. I'm sure there'll be a true Shovel Knight sequel eventually, once they're done giving us new modes for free like total badasses.

I wonder who the third playable boss knight will be.

Also, I'm curious: when the Kickstarter was ongoing, what did they say about the playable boss knight modes? Did they say they'd get their own stories and unique challenges? Because if they didn't promise that then, I'm really impressed with how above-and-beyond they're going with those. They could've easily just grafted them in like Richter mode in Symphony of the Night where it's sort of a novelty that ends up being a little awkward, but hey, you can play as that dude you wanted to play as! But nope, they're doing it right, and that owns.

During the kickstarter, they had stretch goals which included a mode where you can change the genders of the characters (not yet implemented), a battle mode where you can fight as any of the knights against each other (not yet implemented), and 3 extra campaigns starring 3 different knights. They held a poll for who should win and the ones that won were specter knight, plague knight, and king knight. I'd love to have a playable campaign for all of them but I completely 100% understand why they would not want to do that, though if they DID, I'd be fine with dropping money for them since they said the stretch goal stuff is all going to be in the form of free add-ons to the base game so anything they decide to work on after that doesn't necessarily have to be free.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

oddium posted:

for real though here's the deal with death stranding from kojima: mankind invented sticks to keep away evil and ropes to bind together things we love. most games are about sticks. death stranding is about rope

oh okay so like social links

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

They removed from the stream after it aired but Geoff's mic was still hot when he hugged Kojima and you could faintly hear "cmon say the magic words"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Kojima's games are fun.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I loved MSGV even though it was the only Metal Gear game I've ever played. The whole time though I was thinking "man great game, if it only it just stuck to the cool tactical action and dumped the Anime Factor it would be even better!"

I dressed up as Venom Snake for Halloween and made someone genuinely upset when I reported that fact and espoused that opinion.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

Any fan theory that isn't just "Mads Mikkelsen is a cool techno-necromancer" and that's it is reaching way too goddamn far. But he's definitely a cool techno-necromancer and I'm probably going to be bummed out that I don't get to play as him.

Someone either here or in the Game Awards live thread called him a "tactical necromancer" and I'll be sticking with that until we get an official name.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

if it only it just stuck to the cool tactical action and dumped the Anime Factor it would be even better!

There is a lot of overlap between the Anime Factor and the cool tactical action. Metal Gear is a very anime series. Obviously wears its Western influences on its sleeves, but still definitely an eastern product. Compare that with like any of the splinter cell games that focused on stealth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Chomp8645 posted:

The whole time though I was thinking "man great game, if it only it just stuck to the cool tactical action and dumped the Anime Factor it would be even better!"

You should not play any of the other MGS games because that is what they are exclusively about.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

metal gear solid 3 is the greatest game of all time

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Actually, play them all anyway.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

There is a lot of overlap between the Anime Factor and the cool tactical action. Metal Gear is a very anime series. Obviously wears its Western influences on its sleeves, but still definitely an eastern product. Compare that with like any of the splinter cell games that focused on stealth.

That's kinda his point. A lot of the most popular japanese games sell on their western influences and get criticized for their Anime aspects. Probably why capcom started cutting out the middleman and handed over some of their IPs to western devs, wrongheaded as some of the choices were.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think my favorite parts of Dead Rising were the ones inspired by anime

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

That's kinda his point. A lot of the most popular japanese games sell on their western influences and get criticized for their Anime aspects. Probably why capcom started cutting out the middleman and handed over some of their IPs to western devs, wrongheaded as some of the choices were.

Some?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Motto posted:

I think it's just one of those things where he's saying that he doesn't like the parts that are anime while not realizing that the parts he does like are also anime, and that that anime game he likes is anime

• Locked thread