Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Alain Post posted:

Oh well I guess that's OK then

It's really not, and it's part of why the presumptive romance with her is p weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That would be more boring and probably require a long rear end intro with a lot of talking, and also wouldn't work with a Paragon Shepard.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Also the dark matter plotline was dumb, anyone that prefers it over the ending as presented is experiencing some serious "grass is greener" thinking.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Alain Post posted:

That would be more boring and probably require a long rear end intro with a lot of talking, and also wouldn't work with a Paragon Shepard.

Tbh, what they went with doesn't work great either.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alain Post posted:

Imagine the intro to mass effect 2, instead of with the destruction of the normandy from an unseen foe it's shepard at his computer reading an email from the Galactic Council and epically slamming his coffee cup down on the table.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Reclaimer posted:

Also the dark matter plotline was dumb, anyone that prefers it over the ending as presented is experiencing some serious "grass is greener" thinking.

It would have made the series into a long-rear end shaggy dog story.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Reclaimer posted:

It at least seemed to be consistent with all the lore and codex poo poo they laid down in ME1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It at least seemed to be consistent with all the lore and codex poo poo they laid down in ME1.

Being consistent with the lore is for losers

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

More games should have a 6 Million Dollar Man opening.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Too many gaping and obvious holes, like for example why would the Reapers leave the very verboten technology they are battling against all over for everyone to find.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I bet during ME2 Mac Walters was plotting some badass poo poo and Drew was like "my codexxxxxx" and whining about lore poo poo so they kicked him out lmao

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Reclaimer posted:

It's really not, and it's part of why the presumptive romance with her is p weird.

Two of shep's love interests are basically children according to their respective cultures and a third is emotionally a vulnerable teenager. Makes you think how many Star Trek fans are on the Bioware staff.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Alain Post posted:

As opposed to Shepard working with the bumbling idiot human supremacists that were trying and failing to undo his work in the first game. That worked really well for a paragon shep.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Imagine the intro to mass effect 2, instead of with the destruction of the normandy from an unseen foe it's shepard at his computer reading an email from the Galactic Council and epically slamming his coffee cup down on the table.

Shepard reads the Cerberus job ad with growing interest, only to quickly alt-tab to a report on pre-fab housing market rates when Executor Pallin walks by.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

As opposed to Shepard working with the bumbling idiot human supremacists that were trying and failing to undo his work in the first game. That worked really well for a paragon shep.

You can end Mass Effect 1 by basically crippling Cerberus and flying off in their badass ship and blowing up the base they really wanted with two of their best operatives, who are now completely loyal to you. So yeah.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Reclaimer posted:

Too many gaping and obvious holes, like for example why would the Reapers leave the very verboten technology they are battling against all over for everyone to find.

Yeah luckily they went with and ending that had none of those problems

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Alain Post posted:

You can end Mass Effect 1 by basically crippling Cerberus and flying off in their badass ship and blowing up the base they really wanted with two of their best operatives, who are now completely loyal to you. So yeah.

No reason you couldn't have done that without dying and getting rebuilt for some weird reason, in fact it would work better as a paragon shep.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah luckily they went with and ending that had none of those problems

Just because the ending we got was dumb doesn't mean the ending we didn't wasn't also dumb.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

No reason you couldn't have done that without dying and getting rebuilt for some weird reason, in fact it would work better as a paragon shep.

It works better because you are forced into it by events beyond your control, rather than a paragon shep deciding "I am mad about politics" and loving off from the council unilaterally

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Also, it is cool.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lt. Danger posted:

Shepard reads the Cerberus job ad with growing interest, only to quickly alt-tab to a report on pre-fab housing market rates when Executor Pallin walks by.

Shepard's first renegade interrupt in ME2 comes at the very end of an unskippable council meeting discussing galactic policy, where you have the option to raise your hand and complain that nobody takes these meetings seriously.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Reclaimer posted:

Just because the ending we got was dumb doesn't mean the ending we didn't wasn't also dumb.

We'll never know, but the one we got was epically bad and dumb and it's unlikely any other ending could have been worse.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

We'll never know, but the one we got was epically bad and dumb and it's unlikely any other ending could have been worse.

That's pretty narrow-minded, it could've been a lot worse.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah seriously

The worst part about the ending was that it was the ending to MASS EFFECT, a great gaming series

You get worse endings in most other games

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
So the new Andromeda Initiative video mentions that the Nexus is meant to undergo further construction in Andromeda, in the gameplay trailer the inventory screen they show has a bit in the top right corner referring to a 'Nexus level' or something like that. I suspect that one of the meta objectives in the game will be gathering resources to complete the construction of the Nexus, probably analogous to gathering inquisition power in DAI or war resources in ME3.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I think an ending worse than the ME3 ending would take substantial dedication.

There are plenty of reasonable ways to lay out why the reapers would build and curate galactic civilizations, an easy one is that to sustain themselves they need galactic civilizations to grow at a rate and to a size capable of sustaining the reapers, and the only way to do this is to kick start their expansion and universe sized growth by providing them with the means to expand rapidly and sustain that growth until reaping.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Reclaimer posted:

That's pretty narrow-minded, it could've been a lot worse.

Alternate ending that would have been the reality in almost any other triple AAA game:

The Illusive Man: "Ho ho, Shepard! Now I have absorbed the ultimate power of the Reapers! I will be as unto a living god!"
Shepard: *dodge rolls and shoots the Illusive Man in the back when he turns to do his cyber thrust attack on every third rotation.*
The Illusive Man: "Noo! The Reapers put all their techno energy into me! Now their fleet is exploding! I thought I could trust you...but now you've ruined everythiiing...!"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Note that this describes almost the exact circumstances of the ending to acclaimed story-focused AAA smash hit, Bioshock.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm getting a serious space teenager vibe from Ryder in that last preview.

I wonder if there will be a mission where we have to take the gang to the space diner for space milkshakes and there is a dance off with our preppy rivals in the space parking lot.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I think an ending worse than the ME3 ending would take substantial dedication.

There are plenty of reasonable ways to lay out why the reapers would build and curate galactic civilizations, an easy one is that to sustain themselves they need galactic civilizations to grow at a rate and to a size capable of sustaining the reapers, and the only way to do this is to kick start their expansion and universe sized growth by providing them with the means to expand rapidly and sustain that growth until reaping.

I'm not arguing against that, that kind of debate could take up the entire thread (oh hey, it has). I'm positing that the dark matter alternative specifically is pretty drat stupid.

Android Blues posted:

Note that this describes almost the exact circumstances of the ending to acclaimed story-focused AAA smash hit, Bioshock.

:drat:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Android Blues posted:

Alternate ending that would have been the reality in almost any other triple AAA game:

The Illusive Man: "Ho ho, Shepard! Now I have absorbed the ultimate power of the Reapers! I will be as unto a living god!"
Shepard: *dodge rolls and shoots the Illusive Man in the back when he turns to do his cyber thrust attack on every third rotation.*
The Illusive Man: "Noo! The Reapers put all their techno energy into me! Now their fleet is exploding! I thought I could trust you...but now you've ruined everythiiing...!"

Sub out the illusive man for the Star Kid and that's basically the ending.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I think mass effect 3 would have a better ending if there wasn't Control. You just merge with the doodad and the reapers recalculate or whatever. Then they leave. Roll credits

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This thread has improved tremendously since it steered its focus away from speculation and back towards things we can form substantive opinions about.

ME was outstanding. It was an actual RPG. People who don't really like RPGs tend to think it wasn't as good as
ME2 which was very good but was an EA RPG-lite that was obviously focus tested. Also, the writers took an amazing framework from the first game and completely ignored it in order to deal with their daddy issues.
ME3 had fun gameplay and some good moments but was start to finish a horrible piece of poo poo when it came to the writing. With critical thinking and a few playthroughs of the series it becomes obvious that the people writing it were just doing a job but weren't trying to do their best. These weren't people who intimately familiar with the characters or what had come before. As such, we got a huge turd.

These are my opinions, but they are also correct so if you disagree then you must have wrong opinions.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Sub out the illusive man for the Star Kid and that's basically the ending.

Yeah, sure, in a reductio ad absurdum sorta way.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Reclaimer posted:

I'm not arguing against that, that kind of debate could take up the entire thread (oh hey, it has). I'm positing that the dark matter alternative specifically is pretty drat stupid.

:drat:

Not really. You can weave in the dark energy bit as a danger of letting galactic civilization expand too much. So on one hand you've got the reapers' need to grow civilizations large and fast and on the other a danger that they could grow it too large.

This gives the reapers a motivation for needing to get the harvest done by a certain time in a way that doesn't compromise their traditional invulnerability. It also lets you leave their overall purpose for existing a mystery. Sure we know why they need to reap, to survive. But why do they or did they need to survive? Stay tuned for the next trilogy to find out!!! What's outside the galaxy that might be heading this way?

This also sets up the ability to have a much more satisfying conclusion to the story than what amounts to a conventional war followed by a literal deus ex machina. You could defeat their proxies or their ability to even enter the galaxy on a full scale basis, just like in ME1 but on a grander scale or for higher stakes.

I'm willing to bet a large amount that EA demanded a cool hoo rah galactic war which is why we got ME3, the game that starts with a dumb invasion segment and ends with a Star Kid.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zzulu posted:

Yeah seriously

The worst part about the ending was that it was the ending to MASS EFFECT, a great gaming series

You get worse endings in most other games

As he shat in my mouth, i sighed with relief. It could be worse, I thought, This could be Dragon Age 2.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Dark Energy is the same as Disobedient Robots, except more boring and with less (no) thematic resonance.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

a literal deus ex machina

None of the Mass Effects were classical Greek plays though.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Waltzing Along posted:

This thread has improved tremendously since it steered its focus away from speculation and back towards things we can form substantive opinions about.

ME was outstanding. It was an actual RPG. People who don't really like RPGs tend to think it wasn't as good as
ME2 which was very good but was an EA RPG-lite that was obviously focus tested. Also, the writers took an amazing framework from the first game and completely ignored it in order to deal with their daddy issues.
ME3 had fun gameplay and some good moments but was start to finish a horrible piece of poo poo when it came to the writing. With critical thinking and a few playthroughs of the series it becomes obvious that the people writing it were just doing a job but weren't trying to do their best. These weren't people who intimately familiar with the characters or what had come before. As such, we got a huge turd.

These are my opinions, but they are also correct so if you disagree then you must have wrong opinions.

This guy gets it and I bet he fucks, a lot

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It would be extremely funny if the reason for the extinction cycles was because of poor gas mileage. It would also be really bad but still, really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

DancingShade posted:

I'm getting a serious space teenager vibe from Ryder in that last preview.

I wonder if there will be a mission where we have to take the gang to the space diner for space milkshakes and there is a dance off with our preppy rivals in the space parking lot.

I liked that SHepard seemed to be in his 30's

These new youngins are TOO drat YOUNG and need to get off my lawn