Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

What you were supposed to do is use your greenlight to inch forward as far as the guy blocking you allowed (within a couple inches is fine) and then just sit there glaring at him and possibly laying on the horn. Then when their light turns green, you are blocking the intersection for his direction of traffic until he can inch out of your way, at which point you finish crossing the intersection on their light (assuming someone else doesn't tail him too closely to block you, that's why you push up as close as possible initially). Obviously someone in his lane might repeat this on you, but that's ok, you still get through the intersection before your next green light and who cares what chaos is left in your wake.

There is a terrible intersection right outside my office and this basically what happens at rush hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
See you're supposed to enter the intersection and gridlock it on the other axis as well

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Forged signature. Getting a loan for purposes other than study. Straight up fraud.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ashcans posted:

What you were supposed to do is use your greenlight to inch forward as far as the guy blocking you allowed (within a couple inches is fine) and then just sit there glaring at him and possibly laying on the horn. Then when their light turns green, you are blocking the intersection for his direction of traffic until he can inch out of your way, at which point you finish crossing the intersection on their light (assuming someone else doesn't tail him too closely to block you, that's why you push up as close as possible initially). Obviously someone in his lane might repeat this on you, but that's ok, you still get through the intersection before your next green light and who cares what chaos is left in your wake.

There is a terrible intersection right outside my office and this basically what happens at rush hour.

Amateur

http://www.rubberonroad.com/2012/05/the-illustrated-rules-of-the-road-when-driving-in-china/

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I always thought it was ridiculous that I get a speed ticket for going like 10 mph over on the highway but I never see people get tickets for blocking the intersection, changing lanes without a turn signal, or other things that are actually dangerous.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Coca Koala posted:

I'm not gonna say it's death-worthy, but gridlocking in an intersection is incredibly obnoxious. You tried to sneak through, and now I've gotta wait out at least two more green lights? Come on, man.

Like I said these people are honestly not trying to sneak through for the most part, the intersection legit just sucks and unless you are paying super close attention to (or hell, can even see) what's going on like 10-15 cars ahead of you it's real easy to think you're just going with traffic and then find yourself inadvertently being That Guy.

Every other intersection yeah I totally agree with everyone scum of the earth etc.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's why you lay on the horn until they move.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I always thought it was ridiculous that I get a speed ticket for going like 10 mph over on the highway but I never see people get tickets for blocking the intersection, changing lanes without a turn signal, or other things that are actually dangerous.

Fines and tariffs can either be used to discourage bad behavior or raise money but the two are fundamentally mutually opposing goals.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sorry I'll holiday derail bird myself now

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Parking spot saving seems like a great way to get a lot of free chairs

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

Sorry I'll holiday derail bird myself now

Yikes that's some ugly bokeh.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Did somebody change the thread title?

Why is there an occasional BWM content post in the anecdotal parking experience thread?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Because you're White.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Farg posted:

Most people just steal road cones from the city.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Devian666 posted:

Forged signature. Getting a loan for purposes other than study. Straight up fraud.

This is really common and it's always tragic because the parents are using their relationships to extort their own family. If it were a random stranger it'd be identity theft and a person would just fight it in the courts/via the banks and not expect to pay it.

BWM parents suck.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Not sure this counts as bad with money, but close enough. Decided I needed to get something checked out at the doctors while I was on a business trip to the States. They bill me 125 bucks for the doctors visit, say they'll run a test, and will hear back in a few days. I submit the claim to my insurance when I get back home (that's a whole other ridiculous story). Then I get another bill in the mail from the lab that did the test, for another 127 bucks. Would have been nice to tell me I was going to have to pay for that too (make health care public and government funded already, shesh). Then while 6 months in to dealing with insurance, I had to get an invoice from the clinic, and find that they didn't charge me the full amount at the time. For some reason, they only charged 125 out of the 136.50 I owed, and apparently sent me a bill some months ago for 11.50...

Now I possibly get to deal with credit report bureaus over 11.50, while fighting with idiot insurers who think a 125 bill from company A on date Y is the same as 127 from company B on date Z.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

BWM parents suck.
Holy poo poo yes they do. I floated my dad $6000 last month to cover my little brother's health insurance through the end of the year and two months of the mortgage while he waits for 30-day escrow to close on his house. Amazingly he just gave me a check over the weekend, but with the caveat of "don't deposit that yet" so it's a worthless piece of paper right now. Now I wait just like he his to see if his sale falls through (they've pushed escrow closing back twice now).

He probably gets to start 2017 with a bankruptcy at 58 years old. Should be an interesting year, but I won't bail him out again. On the plus side he found his "Y2K gold stash" while frantically moving out of his house last weekend. :tinfoil:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Please tell me that it was gold plated "commemorative coins" worth $50

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Holy poo poo yes they do. I floated my dad $6000 last month to cover my little brother's health insurance through the end of the year and two months of the mortgage while he waits for 30-day escrow to close on his house. Amazingly he just gave me a check over the weekend, but with the caveat of "don't deposit that yet" so it's a worthless piece of paper right now. Now I wait just like he his to see if his sale falls through (they've pushed escrow closing back twice now).

He probably gets to start 2017 with a bankruptcy at 58 years old. Should be an interesting year, but I won't bail him out again. On the plus side he found his "Y2K gold stash" while frantically moving out of his house last weekend. :tinfoil:

Come back to tell us what happens about the check your Dad cut you just before declaring Bankruptcy

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
People can be level headed, long-term thinkers their whole lives and then randomly gently caress it all up.

My uncle taught me EVERYTHING I know about investing (3 fund portfolios, low expenses, time in the market and not timing the market, buy and hold, that type of mindset)

and I just learned he went full cash on November 8th because This Time It's Different

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I've "loaned" my mom...a lot of money over the last 15 years. For a while I believed she'd pay it back, and once got a cheque for $2500, but for the last decade it's been clear that it was really a retconned gift. All in all it works out to way more than my kid's university education will cost, I suspect; hopefully that investment will be more productive.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Do these places that have people throwing lawn chairs in the street not have things like opposite side parking during the winter or something?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

People can be level headed, long-term thinkers their whole lives and then randomly gently caress it all up.

My uncle taught me EVERYTHING I know about investing (3 fund portfolios, low expenses, time in the market and not timing the market, buy and hold, that type of mindset)

and I just learned he went full cash on November 8th because This Time It's Different

The way I see it it actually could wind up being something completely unprecedented this time but not in a "market crash" way in a "I don't really care about my retirement fund now that i've been stripped of my citizenship and deported for saying mean things about the Trump organization" way so let it ride baby wooo yolo

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Do these places that have people throwing lawn chairs in the street not have things like opposite side parking during the winter or something?

They typically are so densely populated that nobody could park at all if you did that. Parts of northern New Jersey are like this too; narrow streets, too many cars, not enough off-street parking, and then giant, car-shaped piles of snow the first time a plow shows up. There isn't even a place to put the snow if you do try to dig your car out.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Farg posted:

Also to get yourself shot at

my favorite version of dibs is where someone builds a snow barrier for 2-3 cars , like 3 feet tall, and then blocks off the entrance to the fortress with another car that can move as needed. it's an incredible tragedy of the commons

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 3, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Yikes that's some ugly bokeh.

BWM: Buying N glass to not offend forums poster Star War Sex Parrot's delicate bokeh sensibilities.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I've "loaned" my mom...a lot of money over the last 15 years. For a while I believed she'd pay it back, and once got a cheque for $2500, but for the last decade it's been clear that it was really a retconned gift. All in all it works out to way more than my kid's university education will cost, I suspect; hopefully that investment will be more productive.

In Asia it's common for people to pay their parents 10-20% of their paycheck. Filial piety. You're supposed to repay all the work that went into raising you, and a big motivator to having children is to "have someone to take care of you when youre old." Here is a reddit thread about it. Literally having children is an investment people expect a return on.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 3, 2016

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

I Like Jell-O posted:

Hey now, that's Federal Way. The capital letters are what makes it a city.

Jeez, how many Federal Way goons are there? My parents got their grill's propane tank stolen the other day. Thieir major BWM offenses are probably having six kids and never talking to them about money.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
Here's a thing,

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5g59pj/50k_in_savings_but_still_lots_of_debt_scared_to/ posted:

Hi guys, been some time since I've posted. I received the last part of my stock from the sale of a company I worked for this past October. It netted me about 50k. It is sitting in a regular bank account (Capital One 360) getting 1%. I'm still looking at a mountain of debt that needs to be paid off but I'm scared to just use the 50k to pay it down because I don't have any other emergency money than that.
We have about $1000 snowball that we're throwing at the debt each month but it is slow going with 80k in debt (Credit Cards) 56k (Loans) , 235k (Mortgage)
Thoughts and/or advice? I can provide more info if needed.
Update with More Info:
Current Take Home Pay is about 9K per month. I still have the same job but there are concerns around stability. I am also currently paid over market and have looked at other jobs and could potentially have to take a 30-40k paycut if I had to change jobs.
Mortgage - 235k - 3.99% - 1700.00
Personal Loan - 28k - 9.75% - 740.00
Bank of the West Loan - 15.5k - 7.99% - 200.00
Discover Card 1 - 14k - 0% - 280.00
BofA Visa 1 - 13k - 0% - 131.00
Student Loan - 12.5k - 6.5% - 131.00
Citi Visa - 9k - 0% - 135.00
BofA Visa 2 - 8k - 4.25% - 110.00
Discover 2 - 5.8k - 4.99% - 120.00
BofA Amex 1- 0% - 5.6k - 56.00
Chase Visa - 0% - 5.3k - 53.00
BofA Amex 2 - 0% - 4.2k - 43.00
Citi - 0% - 3.7k - 56.00
Amazon - 0% - 2k - 50.00
Paypal - 0% - 1.6k - 25.00
Furniture - 0% - 1.5k - 50.00
Total Min Payments - 3880.00
Fixed Expenses - 1670.00 (Includes utilities, insurances, services, etc)
Household Budget - 2300.00
Remainder - 1150.00
Edit: The Rest of It
If I'm being honest with myself, most months we are in the red. We spend way too much money on stuff we don't need. I just don't say no to anyone, myself, my wife, my kids. So yeah, the guy below who said I knew that this stock bonus was coming so I lived it up was right, that's exactly what I did. I flat out need to get my financial poo poo together but have never done it. My wife wants to move because the schools where we live are crappy, I mean, really crappy which is having an effect on our youngest son (he's in 5th grade). So, part of me was saving this 50k so we had a way to get out of this house and into another one but I know deep down that that's only going to make matter worse for us. More mortgage, more expenses. The Bank of the West loan is a camper that we bought this year, we've gone out half a dozen times since we bought it in September and we have loved every minute of it, we were big tent campers for years. Both of our cars are paid for but they are old, a 2003 and a 2005 so I know that's coming sooner than later as well. We have less than 40k in 401k and Retirement accounts, I'm way behind there too. I'm only contributing 2% at this time. It's all pretty bad and most of it is behavioral. I've never been debt free my entire adult life, I'm 47 years old.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

BWM: Cheaping out on proper disposal of bilge water, dumping it at sea, then ordering your employees to lie about it.

Princess Cruise Lines to Pay Largest-Ever Criminal Penalty for Deliberate Vessel Pollution

Some highlights include

USDOJ posted:

Princess Cruise Lines Ltd. (Princess) has agreed to plead guilty to seven felony charges stemming from its deliberate pollution of the seas and intentional acts to cover it up. Princess will pay a $40 million penalty– the largest-ever criminal penalty involving deliberate vessel pollution – and plead guilty to charges related to illegal dumping of oil contaminated waste from the Caribbean Princess cruise ship.

Princess also admitted to the following:

-A perceived motive for the crimes was financial – the chief engineer that ordered the dumping off the coast of England told subordinate engineers that it cost too much to properly offload the waste in port and that the shore-side superintendent who he reported to would not want to pay the expense.

-Princess engineers on the Caribbean Princess indicated that the chief engineer responsible for the discharge on Aug. 26, 2013, was known as “broccino corto” (a person with short arms), an Italian expression for a cheap person whose arms are too short to reach his wallet. Some expressed the same opinion of the shore-side superintendent.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

gnrk posted:

Here's a thing,

What is he, unable to do basic math? Pay off the drat loans that have interest immediately, snowball that $1k/month into the other debts in the order of whichever stops being interest-free first (my money is on the furniture). Lol @taking out a loan to buy a camper. JFC.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

What is he, unable to do basic math? Pay off the drat loans that have interest immediately, snowball that $1k/month into the other debts in the order of whichever stops being interest-free first (my money is on the furniture). Lol @taking out a loan to buy a camper. JFC.

The fact is he's said he's not reporting the budget accurately so that $1k snowball is most likely being spent again. The camper is hilarious as I'm sure it's worth paying 8% interest for :lol:

Those 0% credit cards are most likely all a ticking timebomb. He has so many and they will eventually expire and hit with full interest. His main problem is is that he won't have any other 0% cards to move debt to. His debt is close to blowing up in his face. He won't change his behaviour and even if he does he probably won't get the debt down to non-emergency levels before something goes wrong. Bankruptcy and losing the house is where he's going.

In the thread he even says he's been listening to Dave Ramsey to try to get movtivated to take action. :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
136k in debt :lol: and hardly anything in retirement. how do these people give up free employer matching on pretax 401k contributions? loving insane

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Ah yes, the ages old "Thought As Action" plan. While not pioneered by my family, I feel we really did refine it from "Talk About Thinking About Figuring This poo poo Out" to the finely honed "I Just Need to Sit Down and Make a List" tool we now see daily nearly everywhere. You're welcome, thread. I'm certain everybody got that poo poo from my mother. I have alcohol in the fridge and I'm going to drink it.

He made a (not remotely accurate) list (of his horrific loving financial decisions)! He's listening to Ramsey for chrissakes! What the hell else could he possibly do?

My husband and I have a game. I read the lead-in to the post and we race to shout "kill yourself!" or "declare bankruptcy!" and then we have a conversation about our household finances.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

"Talk About Thinking About Figuring This poo poo Out"

I have some friends who maximise this stage. They get nothing done for years and now they're wondering why they are staying in the same lovely job going nowhere. I think alcoholism contributes to doing nothing for 10 years and only just noticing.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

WampaLord posted:

The bank/state most assuredly took all the money and the poo poo he bought with it away from him.

Money spent on hookers and blow is not recoverable, but it does stimulate the economy.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I have to tell you, without a couple key hesitations, I could have happily stumbled right alongside the guy you describe above.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Devian666 posted:

I think alcoholism contributes to doing nothing for 10 years and only just noticing.

Well done on summarizing my adult life in one sentence.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

NancyPants posted:

He's been posting about his debt for a year, too. One year ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2wzv54/in_my_mid_40s_high_income_even_higher_debt_fear/ posted:

I am completely knowledgeable about everything regarding our situation. I have a detailed spreadsheet that I agonize over almost every day and could tell you at a moments notice where we stand.

And then he bought a camper and paid for his daughter's wedding and some other stuff.

Trillian fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

epenthesis posted:

Well done on summarizing my adult life in one sentence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/5g9inx/_/

• Locked thread