Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Not really. You can weave in the dark energy bit as a danger of letting galactic civilization expand too much. So on one hand you've got the reapers' need to grow civilizations large and fast and on the other a danger that they could grow it too large.

This gives the reapers a motivation for needing to get the harvest done by a certain time in a way that doesn't compromise their traditional invulnerability. It also lets you leave their overall purpose for existing a mystery. Sure we know why they need to reap, to survive. But why do they or did they need to survive? Stay tuned for the next trilogy to find out!!! What's outside the galaxy that might be heading this way?

This also sets up the ability to have a much more satisfying conclusion to the story than what amounts to a conventional war followed by a literal deus ex machina. You could defeat their proxies or their ability to even enter the galaxy on a full scale basis, just like in ME1 but on a grander scale or for higher stakes.

I'm willing to bet a large amount that EA demanded a cool hoo rah galactic war which is why we got ME3, the game that starts with a dumb invasion segment and ends with a Star Kid.

Except they weren't gonna do any of that? The ending was pretty much outlined for us and it involved none of what you said and also was, let's not forget, still written by a Bioware employee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

marshmallow creep posted:

As he shat in my mouth, i sighed with relief. It could be worse, I thought, This could be Dragon Age 2.

i literally can't remember the end to dragon age 2

I'm pretty drat sure I played that game!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Lt. Danger posted:

Dark Energy is the same as Disobedient Robots, except more boring and with less (no) thematic resonance.

None of the Mass Effects were classical Greek plays though.

I meant literal as in he was a freaking ghost in the machine

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Crucible isn't a deus ex machina because it is framed for the entire game as the only way to defeat the Reapers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zzulu posted:

i literally can't remember the end to dragon age 2

I'm pretty drat sure I played that game!

Some lady turned into a statue

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Alain Post posted:

It would be extremely funny if the reason for the extinction cycles was because of poor gas mileage. It would also be really bad but still, really funny.

This was carefully built into the lore

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Alain Post posted:

Some lady turned into a statue

yeah but what was the plot

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Deus literally means "god" though, not ghost.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

marshmallow creep posted:

Always get Liara last.

God that whole after action report meeting with Liara is hilarious if you do that on a second play through.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Reclaimer posted:

Except they weren't gonna do any of that? The ending was pretty much outlined for us and it involved none of what you said and also was, let's not forget, still written by a Bioware employee.

None of the ending was laid out, Drew said the concept was gonna involve dark energy but they hadn't sketched anything out. But dark energy is related to the core concept of the series which is this weird mass effect that underpins all of galactic civilization but we didn't invent.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The extinction cycles was actually an interesting idea that was poorly explained and even more poorly used as a plot device. It seems like something that would have worked well in a book.

For instance, if in the game you had reapers with different personalities, based on the species from which they were harvested, you could open up some good story opportunities. You could meet a reaper who wasn't down with having been harvested in the first place while another reaper was very warlike and gets off on all the suffering that goes into the new reaper creation. You could even write in an ending where the reapers, as a whole, are finally convinced to stop the harvesting. (not via control)

It's like they had an idea that actually worked for the reapers motivations but then never went anywhere with it. As soon as they knew it was going to be a trilogy, the writing team should have been hired on as actual full-time employees (rather than contractors which is probably how most of them were paid) with job security and the knowledge they would be writing this for 3-4 more years. Then hammered out ME2 and 3s plots and worked out the kinks.

But we aren't allowed to have nice things. Just profit for EA.

Looking forward to eating some more ME poo poo in a few months. Mmmmm caca.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Reclaimer posted:

Deus literally means "god" though, not ghost.

I meant to type god, my bad

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the ending should have been Shepard romancing Harbinger and getting married and thus forging an alliance through matrimony with the reapers

The end credits is all the reapers attending the new couples wedding

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Zzulu posted:

the ending should have been Shepard romancing Harbinger and getting married and thus forging an alliance through matrimony with the reapers

The end credits is all the reapers attending the new couples wedding

Would have been better than what we got

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

None of the ending was laid out, Drew said the concept was gonna involve dark energy but they hadn't sketched anything out. But dark energy is related to the core concept of the series which is this weird mass effect that underpins all of galactic civilization but we didn't invent.

Found the interview I remembered the deets from, it was obvs a half-remembered work-in-progress but more importantly Karpyshyn goes on to say:

"I find it funny that fans end up hearing a couple things they like about it and in their minds they add in all the details they specifically want. It's like vapourware - vapourware is always perfect, anytime someone talks about the new greatest game. It's perfect until it comes out. I'm a little weary about going into too much detail because, whatever we came up with, it probably wouldn't be what people want it to be."

Pretty much my point in a nutshell.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I mean regardless of whether you like it or not the dang Ends were the focal point of the biggest shitfit in online game yelling up to that point

like if you were a dude who was like "I would like for Mass Effect to be the new Star Wars" (note: I am not endorsing this) this is like your worst-case scenario

they had to release a free "my bad" DLC for it (that was bad in and of itself) and four-and-a-half years later people are still mad and nude and red about it

there's probably an OK short book about it that has yet to be written (it's this thread and the previous ones, that's the book)

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Reclaimer posted:

Found the interview I remembered the deets from, it was obvs a half-remembered work-in-progress but more importantly Karpyshyn goes on to say:

"I find it funny that fans end up hearing a couple things they like about it and in their minds they add in all the details they specifically want. It's like vapourware - vapourware is always perfect, anytime someone talks about the new greatest game. It's perfect until it comes out. I'm a little weary about going into too much detail because, whatever we came up with, it probably wouldn't be what people want it to be."

Pretty much my point in a nutshell.

That's the same interview. That doesn't mean it was gonna be bad.

Also that's what Drew is going to say because you don't burn bridges in the industry. Funny note, Drew is back at Bioware, which wouldn't have happened had he shat on the ending instead of being diplomatic about it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The best part of the last thread was whenever someone new would show up and play the games and wind the whole thing up again. I'm pretty sure I was one of those at some point, too. I played ME3 about 6 months after it came out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hope the master files for Andromeda are corrupted + no backups exist and no more Mass Effect games are ever made again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Android Blues posted:

Alternate ending that would have been the reality in almost any other triple AAA game:

The Illusive Man: "Ho ho, Shepard! Now I have absorbed the ultimate power of the Reapers! I will be as unto a living god!"
Shepard: *dodge rolls and shoots the Illusive Man in the back when he turns to do his cyber thrust attack on every third rotation.*
The Illusive Man: "Noo! The Reapers put all their techno energy into me! Now their fleet is exploding! I thought I could trust you...but now you've ruined everythiiing...!"

That sounds pretty similar to how Sovereign died.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That always pissed me off

Sovereign empowers Saren and he goes robo-super saiyan and then shepard kills Saren and Sovereign, the immortal god machine, falls apart

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

What is Saren was Sovereign?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The Andromeda footage made me question if ME was ever even actually good, but this thread reminded me 1 and 2 were.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
It was tropey but explained in game

Zzulu posted:

Sovereign empowers Saren and he goes robo-super saiyan and then shepard kills Saren and Sovereign, the immortal god machine, falls apart

No actually it makes him drop his shield.

Saren's possession made a bit of sense given what we knew of indoctrination and how the citadel mass effect relay worked, but yeah it was tropey and given the direction they took the plot in 3 it didn't make any sense. Unfortunate.

ME3 basically invalidated the whole plot of ME1 lmao. The reapers could have just set their alarm clock a year early and flown in to the edge of the system instead of going right to the Citadel. Total lack of respect for the lore.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Judge Dredd: you betrayed the LORE!
Rico: LORRRRRRE!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Alain Post posted:

Judge Dredd: you betrayed the LORE!
Rico: LORRRRRRE!

If you don't respect your own lore you end up making an ending that shows all Mass Relays exploding when your codex and in game example explicitly state that an exploding mass relay destroys everything within a system or two.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

If you don't respect your own lore you end up making an ending that shows all Mass Relays exploding when your codex and in game example explicitly state that an exploding mass relay destroys everything within a system or two.

Do you know the mechanics behind why it explodes like that or just that it does? A deeper knowledge of the precise workings might give one insight as to how it could be possible to destroy it without the collateral damage.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
alternately you could just show the Crucible blowing up the relays in a way that doesn't wipe out the system and let the loving Wookiepedians deal with it

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Alain Post posted:

alternately you could just show the Crucible blowing up the relays in a way that doesn't wipe out the system and let the loving Wookiepedians deal with it

Hey you might be onto something there.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Imo i hope that the milky way fukkin exploded is canon and everyone died.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Reclaimer posted:

Do you know the mechanics behind why it explodes like that or just that it does? A deeper knowledge of the precise workings might give one insight as to how it could be possible to destroy it without the collateral damage.

It's a made up thing, of course it's possible to blow one without it Killing everything.

Unfortunately if you're telling a good story you would show or foreshadow this and not show/tell only contradictory outcomes.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
It's pretty cool and a testament to the diversity of our species (oh hey that's another plot thread that ME3 discarded completely) and the compassion of our species that people can be retarded and or contrarian enough to argue in favor of ME3 being good but also that such people can be cared for and provided for by those of us who understand it was a steaming shitpile.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It's pretty cool and a testament to the diversity of our species (oh hey that's another plot thread that ME3 discarded completely)
TBQH I'm tired of fantasy universes where every other species is 100% identical all the time except humans, who are special because of diversity/adaptability.

Moola posted:

how does she look worse than femshep from me3?

let alone the character models in DAI

Well, she looks better than custom Femshep faces from ME3, at least.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

FronzelNeekburm posted:

TBQH I'm tired of fantasy universes where every other species is 100% identical all the time except humans, who are special because of diversity/adaptability.

I'm pretty partial to settings where humans are like, especially strong because everyone else lives on low-gravity worlds.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Reclaimer posted:

I'm pretty partial to settings where humans are like, especially strong because everyone else lives on low-gravity worlds.
Mass effect would be pretty cool if Krogan didn't exist, but humans instead filled their role in the galactic community. Bunch of idiot orcs who showed up out of nowhere and started a few wars out of xenophobia/paranoia born from having watched independence day one too many times.

But yeah, I'm partial to any setting where humans have any sort of niche, as opposed to "jack of all trades" or "just all-around superior".

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

DancingShade posted:

I'm getting a serious space teenager vibe from Ryder in that last preview.

I wonder if there will be a mission where we have to take the gang to the space diner for space milkshakes and there is a dance off with our preppy rivals in the space parking lot.

Milkshakes are pretty awesome though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Mymla posted:

Mass effect would be pretty cool if Krogan didn't exist, but humans instead filled their role in the galactic community. Bunch of idiot orcs who showed up out of nowhere and started a few wars out of xenophobia/paranoia born from having watched independence day one too many times.

But yeah, I'm partial to any setting where humans have any sort of niche, as opposed to "jack of all trades" or "just all-around superior".

I think the consensus IRL prediction is "horrible cockroach race" for humans

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The gameplay trailer sadly looked kinda mediocre. I'd really dig a game that was just DAI: Spacesuit Edition, but the dialogue scene they chose to showcase being so weak makes me dubious. Like, even apart from the animation issues, the text of that short interaction is just so thin and uninteresting. Why show it in your first big gameplay trailer, unless you either think it's good or don't have anything better? Inquisition by comparison had a lot of great conversation scenes and picked some genuinely good ones for its pre-release material.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Because the game has been in plot and development hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Ah yes, like SHODAN or Helios. This is bad because

Zzulu posted:

Sounds like a cheap narrative device imho