Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Sheriff posted:

It is like 1000x times more fun to be a Rockets fan this year than it was last year. When the team is clicking they can beat anyone in the NBA. In a similar vein, whenever they aren't clicking they can lose to any team in the NBA, so every game is an adventure! I'm still expecting the bottom to fall out when Anderson and Gordon inevitably get injured, but at least Dekker and Harrell look like they belong in an NBA team's rotation.

That's one of the most enjoyable sorts of team to watch, I don't want to know a win or loss is coming before the game starts

Good Work You Get An HIV posted:

Hey Buff Man as a fellow Celtics fan what do you think about Marcus Smart?

I love his grit and grind but I'm getting worried that his offensive game isn't developing enough.

He wasn't a shooter in college, but he's incredibly hindered by his hair. I think a haircut would get him near league average instead of 27%

The shots he gets are so open, and the Celtics don't mind passing to him because he plays so hard on defense, that there's no excuse except the hair, he's not taking off the dribble threes with a defender's hands in his face.

That they even get easy looks (for other people) when he's on the floor speaks to the talent of spelled correctly Isaiah Thomas, the shooting of their bigs, and Bread Stevens

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
It's not really great consolation for a top 10 pick who was a future all-star at one point, but Gordon will handily win 6MOTY if he keeps this up.

I had the Rockets at 41 wins give or take 5 and I'm happy we're getting the +5 version. They've played a lot of games on the road so far, they should have a really kickass December with weaker teams and more home games.

e: Klay Thompson's FG/A: 4/20.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 2, 2016

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Good Work You Get An HIV posted:

Hey Buff Man as a fellow Celtics fan what do you think about Marcus Smart?

I love his grit and grind but I'm getting worried that his offensive game isn't developing enough.

He's putrid on offense and he's actually somehow gotten worse this year. I'd rocket him into the sun if I could. His defense would look a lot better and mean a lot more to me if Avery Bradley didn't exist and/or make his shots

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I'm happy that I called the Rockets as a stone cold lock for the over before the season

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Intruder posted:

Agreed about being impressed so far

I'm not even going to get mad when they get smoked tonight since it's the second game of a back to back at altitude after playing a double overtime game on the road against the best team in the league the night before

The Nuggets have been poo poo at home so far. Jim Harden could literally sleepwalk through this game and still pull out a win

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I agree that it is far too early to be terribly worried about the Warriors, but they have gone from one of the best defensive teams in the league to one of the worst. They have no real center that can stay on the floor and the most important defender is a loose cannon who literally cannot keep himself from flailing around like a 3 year old every time someone touches him.

There are a lot of reasons to be worried if you are a warriors fan, but also their offense is so good that none of that might matter.

It just seems to me that there are more questions about this team at this point then there was last year, which is really weird considering they added a top-3 player in the league over the offseason.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

He's putrid on offense and he's actually somehow gotten worse this year. I'd rocket him into the sun if I could. His defense would look a lot better and mean a lot more to me if Avery Bradley didn't exist and/or make his shots

Are you a Terry Rozier Believer? He looks better than Smart out there now at the very least.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

quote:

With the possibility that the Grizzlies could apply for the exception, creating a 16th roster spot, the Grizzlies plan to start working out free-agent point guards, league sources told The Vertical. Included among the several players expected to visit the Grizzlies for tryouts: Kendall Marshall, Toney Douglas and Will Bynum, league sources told The Vertical.
Will the THRILL is coming back to the NBA

Toney Douglas is no good and Kendall Marshal watches network tv sitcoms and retweets gifs of them

Will "The Thrill" Bynum is coming BACK to the NBA

straight up brolic posted:

I'm happy that I called the Rockets as a stone cold lock for the over before the season

I want to thank D'antoni for letting Clint Capela loose to do numbers

Paul Zuvella posted:

I agree that it is far too early to be terribly worried about the Warriors, but they have gone from one of the best defensive teams in the league to one of the worst. They have no real center that can stay on the floor and the most important defender is a loose cannon who literally cannot keep himself from flailing around like a 3 year old every time someone touches him.

There are a lot of reasons to be worried if you are a warriors fan, but also their offense is so good that none of that might matter.

It just seems to me that there are more questions about this team at this point then there was last year, which is really weird considering they added a top-3 player in the league over the offseason.
Their defense at the end of third quarters is like 14th in the NBA. They're giving Javale and all kinds of random guys minutes to try things out in 4th quarters because they've played such an easy schedule and have had so much garbage time

I feel bad for Steph Curry because he accidentally ruined his shoe company after giving control of his team to some spider monster out of pursuit of the lustful greed for winning, when you and I and everyone else knows that every team should finish .500 and every game should be a tie

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 2, 2016

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Tales of Woe posted:

Are you a Terry Rozier Believer? He looks better than Smart out there now at the very least.

Yeah, if only because he can clear the basketball field goal percentage Mendoza line. He's at least getting better, which is more than can be said for Marc Smart

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

The warriors have gone from the 5th best defensive team in the league to the 21st.

:laffo:

e: Also draymond if a loving weirdo mouth breather.

Saw some stats a week or so ago that said starters are good defensively, it's just they take a huge dive when backups are in. Also they are terrible in garbage time which does make their defensive stats look worse.

I guess what I'm saying is they are apparently a much better defensive basketball team than the overall stats show.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Saw some stats a week or so ago that said starters are good defensively, it's just they take a huge dive when backups are in. Also they are terrible in garbage time which does make their defensive stats look worse.

I guess what I'm saying is they are apparently a much better defensive basketball team than the overall stats show.

Yeah, I don't but that even slightly. Every team is worse when their bench is on the floor, but to say that the starters are not playing a lot is completely false.

Kevin Durant 35.2
Klay Thompson 34.3
Stephen Curry 33.8
Draymond Green 33.7

Those are normal starter minutes. Yeah in the playoffs they will play more, but that's true of every team.

Looking at their on/off numbers are mostly consistent between the bench and the starters, which tells me the defensive problems are not limited to either.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 2, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I mean you could say this about almost any team in the league if you picked apart DRTG (like the Wolves being the best team in the NBA if you take away the 3rd quarter or whatever). It largely evens out in the end. The eye test says they are not a good defensive team unless they are completely engaged

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I feel like they're going to get trashed by a team like the clippers

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

So per Feigen (Rockets beat writer) it sounds like the Rockets intend to match Donatas, but he didn't give hard numbers on what they would and wouldn't match.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I feel like they are going to shoot 50+% from three and beat us by 25

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Warriors have the 9th best DRTG in the league, what's wrong with their defense? Their Pace is up but the step back on defense isn't as big as its being made out to be. They got rid of Bogut, Ezeli and Speights, so yeah. Their defense was going to get worse.

Last year they brought back basically the entire championship team. There's no way you can expect a team to retool that much and come into the season with everything figured out. By March this team will probably look as good as they did last year, though frontcourt depth will be a problem this year.

Stop sweating the Warriors, they are fine.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, the west is wide open at this point in the season and it's really, really interesting. There are serious flaws with all 3 of the top teams and the rockets could be better than their record implies.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i'm going to be honest I only ever watch the Warriors when it looks like they're going to lose because otherwise I can't stand their blend of corny, shookness and bitchmadedness. they have constructed an extremely hateable lineup.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
hate-loving is a common thing to admit

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
seeing warriorsfan.jpg get any joy out of life is like poison to me

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Agreed that it's silly to worry about GS right now. They're 16-3 and just lost a 2OT to another playoff team with Steph Curry fouling out.

Also both teams combined to shoot 26-88 from 3 last night. :barf:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

chunkles posted:

It's not really great consolation for a top 10 pick who was a future all-star at one point, but Gordon will handily win 6MOTY if he keeps this up.

I had the Rockets at 41 wins give or take 5 and I'm happy we're getting the +5 version. They've played a lot of games on the road so far, they should have a really kickass December with weaker teams and more home games.

e: Klay Thompson's FG/A: 4/20.

The issue for Gordon has always been health, that hasn't changed this year. He was sniffing the All-Star game before he started missing 80% of every season. If he's healthy in the playoffs, then the Rockets are dangerous.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

The Warriors always smash the Clippers, it's much more likely to be SA if anyone.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NBA has got to crack down on 3s

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

NBA has got to crack down on 3s

Shut up, Charles.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Papercut posted:

The Warriors always smash the Clippers, it's much more likely to be SA if anyone.
We beat the Warriors the only time we played them in the playoffs fwiw

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Regular season matches don't translate to post season results. The clippers are good enough to beat golden state in a 7 game series if healthy

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The words "left hand to the elbow face" has been repeating in my head all day and I now I hate Reggie Miller

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Aren't the Clippers one of if not the worst matchup for the Warriors? Two good big men should be hard for them to deal with.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Away all Goats posted:

The words "left hand to the elbow face" has been repeating in my head all day and I now I hate Reggie Miller

That whole thing was hilarious. It took him so long to notice Green's big rear end shoe in Harden's face.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Spacebump posted:

Aren't the Clippers one of if not the worst matchup for the Warriors? Two good big men should be hard for them to deal with.

Same problem as the Grizzlies, which is parking a center or weakest defender on Luc. Remember when Bogut was "guarding" Tony Allen?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Luc is actually having his best offensive season ever, granted he's still not very good

tehchekt
May 7, 2007
something cool and profound
Pay respects to Prince Luke Dick M'bah A Moute

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

Warriors have the 9th best DRTG in the league, what's wrong with their defense? Their Pace is up but the step back on defense isn't as big as its being made out to be. They got rid of Bogut, Ezeli and Speights, so yeah. Their defense was going to get worse.

Last year they brought back basically the entire championship team. There's no way you can expect a team to retool that much and come into the season with everything figured out. By March this team will probably look as good as they did last year, though frontcourt depth will be a problem this year.

Stop sweating the Warriors, they are fine.

THey've almost exclusively played lottery teams, have zero wins against teams likely to be in the playoffs in the Western Conference, so just by virtue of being a contender that's going to inflate all their numbers. If their defensive numbers are solid as the sample size grows then all right but right now I trust my eyes over the numbers and conclude their defense is bad.

I think they'll be fine, but maybe not until the second round of the playoffs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

chunkles posted:

So per Feigen (Rockets beat writer) it sounds like the Rockets intend to match Donatas, but he didn't give hard numbers on what they would and wouldn't match.

Welcome back, Donuts :toot:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

THey've almost exclusively played lottery teams, have zero wins against teams likely to be in the playoffs in the Western Conference, so just by virtue of being a contender that's going to inflate all their numbers. If their defensive numbers are solid as the sample size grows then all right but right now I trust my eyes over the numbers and conclude their defense is bad.

I think they'll be fine, but maybe not until the second round of the playoffs.

Blazers and Thunder will both probably be in the playoffs unless you have some weird view on what the Western Conference is going to look like. They've also beat the Raptors, Celtics, Hawks and Bucks so they are doing a pretty good job against Eastern playoff teams too. The warriors are playing fine, they are a victim of unrealistic expectations, but by almost any metric they are playing better than any other NBA team right now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Blazers and Thunder aren't exactly the teams to reference to change my mind about an extremely soft schedule (no offense Metapod).

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Lockback posted:

Blazers and Thunder will both probably be in the playoffs unless you have some weird view on what the Western Conference is going to look like. They've also beat the Raptors, Celtics, Hawks and Bucks so they are doing a pretty good job against Eastern playoff teams too. The warriors are playing fine, they are a victim of unrealistic expectations, but by almost any metric they are playing better than any other NBA team right now.

People are just trying to talk themselves into believing in anything other than the inevitable outcome.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rick posted:

Blazers and Thunder aren't exactly the teams to reference to change my mind about an extremely soft schedule (no offense Metapod).

I mean I say homeristic things but I'm not a fool about how good okc is

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Well they did beat an extremely good Rockets team

Thanks to ballstreams being dead and my not having cable I don't get to watch them as often as I'd like, but aff assures me they're amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/uninterrupted/status/804809852413317120

Lebron is gonna drop 55 on the Bulls tonight.

Look at that goddamn face. Look at it.

• Locked thread