Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
We must fix cronyism, says the man who literally only hires his cronies

I know there is no point in even pointing out hypocrisy in his politics but it is still always so delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Rip Testes posted:

Trump has a plan for government workers. They’re not going to like it.

Might have to jump ship to contractor land as this all comes to pass. Had issue today with contractors trying to pass of really poor work as if they were operating under the assumption we weren't bright enough to realize it.

Prediction: if you simultaneously tell agencies "okay, it's easier to fire people now" and "you can't hire replacements for people you fire", the rate at which federal employees are fired will not significantly increase.

Prediction: Trump will use the resulting statistic to further slash worker rights and benefits.

Prediction: the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Still early but as that Wash Post article says it's not looking good boyz

a distorted reality
Oct 14, 2005
is now a necessity to be free
Definitely not looking good, but haven't previous administrations also attempted to target federal employee benefits and job security only to have a limited impact?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

a distorted reality posted:

Definitely not looking good, but haven't previous administrations also attempted to target federal employee benefits and job security only to have a limited impact?

Sure, but we seem to be in somewhat uncharted territory here with how much damage these people want to do to federal agencies, and how much they feel entitled to do so by the results of the election. This thing the House just pulled with the Midnight Regulations Act seems somewhat unprecedented in its attempt to undo the regulatory work that has proceeded as normal over the past year or so. It certainly seems reasonable to expect that they'll at least attempt similarly extreme measures against agencies and their employees.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

McCoy Pauley posted:

Sure, but we seem to be in somewhat uncharted territory here with how much damage these people want to do to federal agencies, and how much they feel entitled to do so by the results of the election. This thing the House just pulled with the Midnight Regulations Act seems somewhat unprecedented in its attempt to undo the regulatory work that has proceeded as normal over the past year or so. It certainly seems reasonable to expect that they'll at least attempt similarly extreme measures against agencies and their employees.
But how long will they take to pass/implement? A year?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

If they mess with loan forgiveness I'm out. For everything else it just depends.

Thankfully, I'm a software dev in a state with a healthy tech industry.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Grouchio posted:

But how long will they take to pass/implement? A year?

Depends on what they do. OPM can implement new policy and guidance as fast as the new head of OPM issues a memo (look at the memo limiting performance awards we've been under since -- what -- 2014?) I'd guess a hiring freeze could similarly be pushed out through some action by OPM pretty quickly. I think there's a lot of harm that can be done through policy, without need to pass laws.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

The references to ending "automatic pay raises": I wonder if they mean grades w/career ladders, steps, or across the board raises?

Obviously all three :(

Please god let my career ladder progression go unaffected until I hit 12...

Seriously though, as long as you can't hire anyone and are overworked as is, there's zero incentive to fire even low performers.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

The references to ending "automatic pay raises": I wonder if they mean grades w/career ladders, steps, or across the board raises?

Seriously though, as long as you can't hire anyone and are overworked as is, there's zero incentive to fire even low performers.

No one really knows what it means. The step increases aren't even automatic. You have to have a Fully Successful rating to qualify for it.

I want to keep working for the government, and I hope that most of this is ultimately bluster, and that there is significant lash back in the midterm elections. But that doesn't change that feeling I get in the pit of my stomach every time I read the news.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Thesaurus posted:

ugh. Yeah I hadn't thought about that. If I'm stuck where I am I'm going to be letting people know I can be poached at will. I'm already severely underpaid for my region.

Edit: then again if my superiors all retire (a near guaranteed possibility) and there's a hiring freeze, maybe I can move into their existing (higher paid) slot?

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 22, 2016

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Huh, if they cut loan forgiveness, they could singlehandedly stop all overeducated students from applying to work for the Federal Government, eliminating two things the right wing hates (overeducated people and federal jobs) with one fell swoop!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

El Mero Mero posted:

ugh. Yeah I hadn't thought about that. If I'm stuck where I am I'm going to be letting people know I can be poached at will. I'm already severely underpaid for my region.

Edit: then again if my superiors all retire (a near guaranteed possibility) and there's a hiring freeze, maybe I can move into their existing (higher paid) slot?

Thats the only hope I have left. It'd be nice for the boomers and silents to finally go into retirement so that everyone else can finally move upwards.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The IRS is still going ahead with their IT pathways internships. "Expected" start date of Feb 2017.

The number of unknowns with a hiring like that are huge right now. But the actual hire is before Trump is sworn in, so maybe it's okay.

I'm having my bro in law, who graduates in April, apply. The worst that happens is it falls through and he still has 2 months to find a job.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm curious what's going to happen with the 18F groups and other digital teams. They had been doing good work, but I'm pretty sure all of those folks are non-career.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dr. Quarex posted:

Huh, if they cut loan forgiveness, they could singlehandedly stop all overeducated students from applying to work for the Federal Government, eliminating two things the right wing hates (overeducated people and federal jobs) with one fell swoop!
Thank gott I have no loans right now.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Must Love Dogs posted:

I'm national staff with AFGE. We might not represent you, depending on what your agency is, so we'd need to talk before I can give you any firm advice.

Generally though, if you are just four months in, I'd recommend you hold off from doing anything until you clear your probation.

Kinda curious what's goin' on in AFGE HQ these days. I imagine/hope folks are setting up the war room.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
Obviously things could/will change in the next 90 days... but how many positions did you all apply for before you got in? I've got like 6 active applications right now (all of which I qualify for, some of which I am overqualified for) and my husband has close to 10 in (and another 5 he hasn't been referred for). We are bound and determined to move to Maine, but apparently the fed jobs market there is hotter than I knew :)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cathis posted:

Obviously things could/will change in the next 90 days... but how many positions did you all apply for before you got in? I've got like 6 active applications right now (all of which I qualify for, some of which I am overqualified for) and my husband has close to 10 in (and another 5 he hasn't been referred for). We are bound and determined to move to Maine, but apparently the fed jobs market there is hotter than I knew :)
.....It is!? How so? I had my federal recruitment pool interview the day after elections and I'm hoping to get in myself before the freeze.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I believe the number of applications in the thread before initial hiring ranges from "2" to "250" (I was the 250, and though I do not remember anyone needing more that does not mean someone did not do more). It all depends on whether your skills actually align with the demands for federal jobs, whether anyone is hiring, and, of course, whether the random number generator that seemingly cancels 1 in 3 postings one way or another decides to cancel your posting.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

Dr. Quarex posted:

I believe the number of applications in the thread before initial hiring ranges from "2" to "250" (I was the 250, and though I do not remember anyone needing more that does not mean someone did not do more). I... whether the random number generator that seemingly cancels 1 in 3 postings one way or another decides to cancel your posting.

HAH, Yeah, I have had several randomly cancelled postings (and a couple where they clearly filled it out wrong or got too many applications and decided to clamp it down so they could just hire the 1 guy who they were trying to promote). It's fairly likely I will make it through the TSA process for Maine, but I'm holding out hope for a couple of other ones we have been "referred" for :)

Grouchio posted:

.....It is!? How so? I had my federal recruitment pool interview the day after elections and I'm hoping to get in myself before the freeze.

Re: Maine, I'm quite sure both my husband and I are qualified for the stuff we apply for, but judging by the echoing silence we've got on some apps, there must be a shitload of absurdly qualified hirees out there ahead of us in line (and he's a 10 point veteran, too).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cathis posted:

HAH, Yeah, I have had several randomly cancelled postings (and a couple where they clearly filled it out wrong or got too many applications and decided to clamp it down so they could just hire the 1 guy who they were trying to promote). It's fairly likely I will make it through the TSA process for Maine, but I'm holding out hope for a couple of other ones we have been "referred" for :)

Re: Maine, I'm quite sure both my husband and I are qualified for the stuff we apply for, but judging by the echoing silence we've got on some apps, there must be a shitload of absurdly qualified hirees out there ahead of us in line (and he's a 10 point veteran, too).
I'm filing under WRP work for those with disabilites.

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.
How can I ask for a review of... a review? I just got rejected as not qualified from a job listing for not having the necessary credit hours in my transcript... even though I do.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Contacting whoever is listed as HR for the posting is a good place to start, and if you got any correspondence about the posting from a real person (unlikely, but still) it cannot really hurt to ask that person.

One of the guys who came in my GS-9 group from the Border Patrol where he had been a GS-12 for three years applied for a GS-13 job and was told he needed a year at GS-12 to apply. He, obviously, followed up saying "uh, yeah, I do" and went back and forth and by the time they conceded he was right the hiring was finished and they were like "sorry" and that was it. So, it still might not be worth your time, but who knows? If nothing else, it can always highlight a failure in the system which COULD even lead to a positive change?!

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Someone accidentally replied all to a job posting email. She attached her resume, her transcripts, and her last performance review. Now my entire agency knows her private sector salary and the fact she failed freshman level French class in 2002.

Moral of the story: Never Reply All.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Being a person who replies all should automatically disqualify you from any possible promotion.

Be sure to reply all with "stop replying all!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Good news, everyone!

quote:

Two GOP senators on Friday asked the White House to freeze federal hiring until President-elect Trump takes office — just in case the outgoing Obama administration was planning a last-minute hiring spree.

“Because we know that you are sincere in overseeing a smooth transition, we hope members of your administration will resist the urge to accelerate the hiring of career civil servants who may not share the priorities of the new administration,” Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Chairman Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) and Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) wrote in a brief letter to Obama.

They urged the president to block new hires to the federal payroll between now and Trump’s inauguration on Jan. 20, with an exemption for jobs with a public health or safety mission.

The lawmakers said a freeze on new civil servants would be not just a “gesture of bipartisanship and goodwill,” but a “precedent for future presidential transitions.”

:smithicide:

vvv It's the "precedent" part that's got me down.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 3, 2016

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

LOL begging Obama for good will.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
The very concept of a last minute, accelerated hiring spree is the funniest thing I've heard all day.

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 3, 2016

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

The senators also strongly imply that feds are just hired for their political loyalties: "civil servants who may not share the priorities of the new administration." like we are all supreme court justices or something.

This attitude is exactly why civil service protections were implemented to begin with.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Thesaurus posted:

The senators also strongly imply that feds are just hired for their political loyalties: "civil servants who may not share the priorities of the new administration." like we are all supreme court justices or something.

This attitude is exactly why civil service protections were implemented to begin with.

Good point. That's without even reach their shameful attempt to find yet another way to act like the President somehow should not be the President for the full length of his term.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

McCoy Pauley posted:

Good point. That's without even reach their shameful attempt to find yet another way to act like the President somehow should not be the President for the full length of his term.

Only Democratic presidents. Republican presidents are in charge from the day they are elected until they choose to relinquish their imperium dictatoris.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 3, 2016

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I actually can see a compelling argument to be made for the dead zone between election and inauguration being a time for the outgoing President to try to minimize any potentially jarring elements of the transition... but... hahhaha. Yeah, no, really, we believe that this is a sincere sentiment! It definitely has nothing to do with fundamentally disrespecting the other party, and they would TOTALLY support an outgoing Republican president opening up a hiring frenzy again in the lame duck period! Totally.

Edit: I would say it was cool back when Republicans believed in democracy, but the problem is once you go back about 50 years Southern Democrats were Republicans and it gets so hard to explain

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It's worse than that. This is intended to reduce the period in which any kind of hiring can take place. The goal is to remove the ability to hire federal employees period.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah probably, the Libertarian Utopia where the only people the government employs are heavily armed (or Republican politicians) is right around the corner!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Heard back from the PTO to interview about a patent examiner position, but I think I've been turned down for all the positions I interviewed for at the SEC.

I guess I'll have to settle for literally half the salary. :suicide:

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I was involved in a fender bender on my way to work this morning, my first ever. I was in line to get on the base waiting for my turn to proceed and the guy behind me (also stopped) wasn't paying attention and hit the gas, rear ending my car. It ended up being a huge brouhaha, but not because of any reason you'd expect. He called the police and I'm like, "Dude there's almost no damage to my car and I'm not hurt. What's the deal?" Turns out he was our base's plainclothes detective in an unmarked GOV!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I've got an interview for a fed job in San Francisco and man the locality pay there is not near enough to cover the cost of living difference from where I am now. I bet they have a lot of trouble filling positions

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I looked into a transfer to San Francisco. My base would be over the pay cap. Still couldn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I love how the locality pay here in Chicago is only slightly less than SF/DC/NYC despite housing being waaaaay cheaper if you are living in a neighborhood not right next to the Loop.