Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
flynn ring works on raw weight. for the most part its kind of bad, i guess you could get some use out of it if you want to dress in rags and use daggers or a straightsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Iretep posted:

flynn ring works on raw weight. for the most part its kind of bad, i guess you could get some use out of it if you want to dress in rags and use daggers or a straightsword.

I dont think it works on raw weight, i think it works on your max load weight, unless im misremembering something

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
In this version of dark souls it works on raw weight. It stops giving you a bonus to AR somewhere around 30 units.

Edit: For the full damage bonus you need under 2.4 weight. At 10 weight it's a 10% AR increase and at 20 weight it's down to like 3%.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 1, 2016

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Stokes posted:

In this version of dark souls it works on raw weight. It stops giving you a bonus to AR somewhere around 30 units.

Edit: For the full damage bonus you need under 2.4 weight. At 10 weight it's a 10% AR increase and at 20 weight it's down to like 3%.

I was thinking naked with a Black Knight Shield and a Follower Saber, but gently caress. That is massively lovely. 2.4 weight? Really?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

I was thinking naked with a Black Knight Shield and a Follower Saber, but gently caress. That is massively lovely. 2.4 weight? Really?

It's good for Dragon builds.

Edit: I'm using it right now on my low weight punch man build. 9 AR is 9 AR.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 1, 2016

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Switching to character names instead of player names was the best idea ever. Yesterday I got invaded by dark spirit HARAMBE. He's back for revenge!

Also some guy named Lemons managed to screw himself out of the easiest kill ever. My buddy was host, down to a sliver and no Estus, guy managed to whiff every single swing. It was kind of amazing.

All this with my level 150 dude and the host at 30. The auto-scaling really works well, since I never felt like I was unbalanced or anything like that, just helpful.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can someone explain hollowing a bit? I have Yoel now in my basement. I've been putting some points in luck so I can farm embers better and I read a thing that there's some synergy with hollowing and luck or something

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Hollowing makes you ugly and gives you free levels. That's basically it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

A MIRACLE posted:

Can someone explain hollowing a bit? I have Yoel now in my basement. I've been putting some points in luck so I can farm embers better and I read a thing that there's some synergy with hollowing and luck or something

A hollow infused weapon will give you extra luck (up to 5 points) if you have at least 15 hollowing.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

AlternateNu posted:

So the way it works is kind of convoluted (from what people have been able to discover it actually scales differently with different weapons, lighter weapons getting more favorable damage scaling) but it's a flat damage increase with no other qualifiers besides weight, which is pretty rare for a ring actually. As long as you are using a light weapon and light armor you can expect an 8-9% damage bonus on it which is pretty good actually, given the restrictions on other damage increasing rings. For comparison, Lloyd's Sword Ring is a 10% boost but only at full hp and the Pontiff's Right Eye Ring is a 15% boost when fully stacked. It's worse than it used to be but so is everything else (and stuff like the Ring of Blades doesn't exist).

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

Luck only gives 1 discovery per point (for comparison there are items that will increase it by 50 or even 100) so it's not really going to do much to impact getting stuff and the stat seems useful only for some super particular weapon infusion I think. It's basically this game's dump stat like resistance was in the first game.

Also, in terms of invaders: if you equip the way of the blue covenant you'll get friendly players joining you when you get invaded, which can be helpful.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Please equip way of blue friends. I still need that drat ring

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

A MIRACLE posted:

Basically Hollowing is useless aside from making you look like beef jerky with one exception. That being that the Hollow infusion on weapons/shields causes that piece of equipment to gain damage scaling based on your Luck stat as well as giving a flat Luck bonus (+5 Luck with a +10 weapon or shield and at least 15 of the Hollowing stat). Not only is it a very solid infusion in terms of damage (especially given up to 10 free levels of a main damage stat), Luck also increases your ability to apply certain status effects, notably Bleed. That's what the "Bleed/Luck build" you hear about is, it's just having 15 Hollowing, some Luck (usually 30-35 so you get 40 with a Hollow weapon or two), and a weapon with innate Bleed.

You gain Hollowing by getting free levels from Yoel (which give you Dark Sigils) and then dying.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Cavelcade posted:

Holy poo poo the Farron Legion greatsword is amazing fun to use! So glad I transferred over to it!

Hell yeah dude I've been sticking to it this playthrough and it's definitely my favorite weapon.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Here's a weird thing that you can do with a greatlance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlDYWe7Oq38

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Stokes posted:

Here's a weird thing that you can do with a greatlance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlDYWe7Oq38

This guy posted this to the DS3 subreddit and was permabanned for "showing people how to cheat."

Reddit. :rolleyes:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So. Haven't played since the release. Is the DLC good? Not that I won't play through it at some point, but is it good enough that I should play it right now?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Smol posted:

So. Haven't played since the release. Is the DLC good? Not that I won't play through it at some point, but is it good enough that I should play it right now?

You need the DLC for the arena, and the arena is fun. There are some new weapons.

The levels are kind of a slog and there's 1 pretty good but not outstanding boss fight that is fun to co-op and 1 Sif boss fight that is probably the best Sif boss fight so far, but Sif boss fights have never been that great.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Smol posted:

The DLC's very pretty and has some cool areas and enemies, but I kind of wish I'd just waited on it myself. Do we have any timetable for the second one yet? I'm almost done with Ashes (I think) but I don't know if I want to put things on hold for going to NG++ and wait for the second one to come out or just say screw it and deal with it on a higher difficulty when it gets here.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Would any of you be interested in a community PVP event around sl 60-70?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm down.

...! posted:

This guy posted this to the DS3 subreddit and was permabanned for "showing people how to cheat."

Reddit. :rolleyes:

It is a case where both sides are being twats. It's the best kind of drama.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

PvP covenant question. I read earlier in the thread that red phantoming means you get to go recover your souls where you died if you bite it while invading (say if the host has a sunbro gank squad). How about purple phantom and the rest of them? Curious what happens if you are on your way to recover your souls after a death to a boss, and you get pulled in to a wolves/faithful invasion, or if you get summoned as a bluecop or darkmoon. Do your souls get flushed if you get killed as a phantom while you already have a pile on the floor somewhere?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Watchdogs/faithful don't lose souls on death. Everyone else gets a bloodstain where they died, if you already have a bloodstain down tough poo poo. I think mad phantoms that use the white soapstone are exempt from that though.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't have anyone at 60-70

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Stokes posted:

It is a case where both sides are being twats. It's the best kind of drama.

It's one of those moments that's a stark reminder that being 30 makes me a relative greybeard on the internet, it's just insanely childish all the way around.

Smol posted:

I enjoyed it and if you are planning to play DS3 anyways I'd certainly get it as it's quite good in terms of new equipment (plus three more Slabs!). Don't feel pressured to get it just to play through it once though, it's relatively short (lengthwise it's a tiny bit bigger than Artorias of the Abyss but it only has two bosses). It's more of a side compared to The Old Hunter's second course.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm finding NG+ to be way too easy.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Max posted:

In my experience it's only in NG++ that the difficulty increase starts to show its teeth

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Max posted:

NG+ is a victory lap really. I'm not sure if it's intentional or just an inevitable byproduct of how upgrades work. Basically NG+ keeps scaling until +7 or so but weapon upgrades stop at +10, which you get all the way back in NG. So the only scaling your character is doing is based on levels, but by 150ish you are hitting all the caps on your relevant stats. And if you level at all you'll easily hit 150ish by NG+2 at the latest. So that's where the difficulty really starts to kick in, and NG+3 and onwards can be pretty tough.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Here's a cool PVP build centered around the Cleric's Candlestick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CheCo9RhlKg

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
That dude is single-handedly saving Dark Souls and I love him for it. His stuff is all very well thought-out and demonstrably effective but he keeps a realistic perspective on it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

He's really cool. He responds to all my questions in the comments.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Has he been banned from Reddit for using obvious exploits like healing spells yet?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Do people really get banned on reddit by using actual game mechanics? That's completely nuts.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Guillermus posted:

Do people really get banned on reddit by using actual game mechanics? That's completely nuts.

Actual mechanics which work probably not as the developers intended yes.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Everything that's not pure K***ht was unintended

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

RabidWeasel posted:

Actual mechanics which work probably not as the developers intended yes.

It was literally just "hold L2 and left on the analog stick." Who's to say if the developers intended that or not?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The entire video he says "This is probably useless in pvp" so wh ythe gently caress do they care

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Max posted:

Welcome to Dark Souls 3, then. NG+ and beyond are nearly identical to NG, and the difficulty never really scales up to compensate for the levels you'll be acquiring.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

...! posted:

It was literally just "hold L2 and left on the analog stick." Who's to say if the developers intended that or not?

More to the point, why the gently caress does it matter what they intended, especially since they obviously intended a lot of bad ideas like multiple weapons being strict downgrades compared to others.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The entire video he says "This is probably useless in pvp" so wh ythe gently caress do they care

There are people out there who get super mad when dumb looking stuff happens in games because ~my realism~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It's got nothing to do with the glitch, it's just typical internet drama. One of the mods didn't like the video creator and chose this as his moment and gave him a week long ban since you could twist the rules to justify it. Content creator blew his top and escalated things to 11, justifying the mod to permaban him (probably just like he wanted). Typical drama ensues. It's a pretty inevitable consequence of the Reddit Mod system. The site is great for content and news aggregation but just abysmal for supporting any kind of discussion or community.