Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

EponymousMrYar posted:

Looks like it's either a 9mm or .45 ACP caliber gun if vidjagames taught me anything about vidjagame guns.

The only pistols I'm intimidated by in games are Deagle-brand Deagle's and Master Chief's pistol from Halo 1 :colbert:
also the noisy cricket but that's a movie gun.

According to Watase she was:

He says a gunshot, but we don't know what kind of gun it was. The scientists and rescue workers were clearly killed by something automatic. Ena's gun isn't, meaning it doesn't incriminate her for those murders (of course she could have done it then ditched the weapon, but there's no evidence for it). The girl was only shot once, which means it could have been from Ena's gun. I don't really think it was, but it's on the table :v:

I'm assuming the terrorists/clean up crew/whoever they are have rifles considering the condition of the bodies and the room. We also have to remember Watase for whatever reason, had a gun before he caught the amnesia. Ena's gun could even be the same one, and she recovered or found it later. :tinfoil:

I like mysteries :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

:raise: Somehow I don't think guns are part of her regular lesson plan... Sure she probably didn't off anybody in the plant with that pistol, but what else is she packing? A clip of sub-machine gun ammo wouldn't bust people's limbs like that but it could put plenty of holes in three of them.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

:raise: Somehow I don't think guns are part of her regular lesson plan... Sure she probably didn't off anybody in the plant with that pistol, but what else is she packing? A clip of sub-machine gun ammo wouldn't bust people's limbs like that but it could put plenty of holes in three of them.

While I am reserving the right to cast undeserved suspicion on her, you have seen what she's wearing right? I can barely believe she was hiding the pistol as it is.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

OddHaberdasher posted:

While I am reserving the right to cast undeserved suspicion on her, you have seen what she's wearing right? I can barely believe she was hiding the pistol as it is.

If anime has taught me anything it is that it doesn't matter how big it is, someone who knows how to use hammerspace will pull it out without any sign of it beforehand.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Smoking Barrel: 09/16/2030, 13:31

--Over ten seconds had passed since the beeping had stopped. But the only sound that filled the block was Watase and Ena's panting.

Watase timidly got up and looked into the stairwell behind him. However-- no explosion had happened. Ena also got up, her eyebrows furrowed.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

I don't know... but it looks like we're still ticking. Was it a dud...?
Maybe... but... something's weird here. Something about this feels different compared to everything else that's happened so far.
... Yeah.

True, there had been several ''bizarre factors'' so far. Like the sprinkler system being offline, or the passageway blocked by the electric cable and puddle, or the cargo lift being broken. But unlike all of those, there had been a clear ''malice'' behind this incident.

(But that was a bit of a sloppy job, wasn't it...?)

Watase looked at the kicked down fire door. There was something that appeared to be a metal bar lying next to it. That must have been what'd been holding back the door.

(It felt very ''improvised on the spot'' for a trap...)

And on top of that, the bomb in question hadn't detonated. If the one who'd set the whole thing up had been trying to kill Watase and Ena, then they'd failed completely.

(Was there some reason they didn't spend much time on prepping it?)

Watase's thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sound of footsteps approaching.

Who's there!?

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Ah, Captain, Ms. Tsubakiyama!
Oh, it's just you...
Hey, what's with the cold reception!? I hauled my injured rear end over here on the double as soon as I heard that loud 'bang' or whatever, and this is what I get?

Another set of footsteps closed in as Jun said that. They looked up to see Ukita running their way.

Oh, you're all here! I heard a most peculiar sound! What happened!?

Jun and Ukita had both said more or less the exact same thing.

(Come to think of it--)

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Ukita and Jun did the same, then gasped.

M-Ms. Tsubakiyama...!
Wh-what are... what are you doing with a pistol!?
Oh, this is... uh...

Ena's body froze, then she took a step back.

Teach... you took that gun out of your clothes, right...?
What!? What's the meaning of this!? Why do you have something like that with you!?
Yeah! I thought you were a teacher!
Hold on a minute, you're all making a big misunderstanding! This pistol isn't mine! I found it here in LABO!
Found it? Where?
...In the room with the cargo lift. It was lying in a corner there.

A blue branch with Ena at 4.

You really saying you found and took that pistol while we were performing CPR?
B-but... it's the truth...

Ena cringed at Ukita and Jun's harsh glares. Watase thought over the whole situation--

Ena had taken out that gun and fired without any hesitation in an emergency situation. And all four of her shots pinpointed the door's hinges with destructive accuracy. If she'd never held a gun before, that was some nigh-impossible beginner's luck she had.

Teach... have you ever fired a gun before?
Hell no! But, well... you might laugh at me when you hear this.... But I'm a big airsoft aficionado.
Airsoft?
Yes, also known as survival games... it's a grown-up version of playing soldier where you shoot each other with air guns. So while I've never handled a real gun before, I got good at shooting from that... well, as good as you -can- get, I suppose.
Wow, never took you for such a kid. But isn't there a complete world of difference between holding an air gun and the real McCoy?
I know that. I was just answering Captain Kasasagi's question, that's all.
Sorry for asking so--

But Ukita interrupted before Watase was done.

Then you're still sticking to your story that you found that gun and took it with you?
Yes, though I admit I can't prove it...
I see... but let's just trust her for now.
Wait, you believe her?
Well, we can't prove otherwise, so yeah, nothing we can do about that.

Watase admonished Jun, then turned back to Ena.

...But why did you keep that thing hidden up until now, Teach? -That's- the real problem here.
...I didn't feel like I had a choice back then... We'd just seen a body and found out that the escape route was a no-go... So I felt that I had to protect myself no matter what it took...

Now that she mentioned it, Ena had mentioned the ''killer'' several times right after that incident. She'd kept on insisting that the killer was still in the facility.

(Was that because she'd just found that gun... and because she was preparing to protect herself?)

Ena continued as Watase pondered that.

Then after that, it just never felt like the right time to bring it up... I'm sorry.

Ena said that in a feeble voice. Ukita and Jun replied with their voices laced in bitterness.

...Well, let's put aside whether I trust you or not. The fact is that there's a gun here, right?
Indeed. Now that we know that, there is absolutely no way we can let you keep that pistol all to yourself.
Then how about I hold on to it for now?
What? I'm the oldest one here, so it's only logical that I should keep it, yes?
A-are you two out of your minds!? It's strange for me to have the gun, yes, but it's also too dangerous for either of you to have it!
What...!?

Jun, Ukita, and Ena were all glaring at each other fiercely.

So here we have a yellow branch, with Jun at 8, Ukita at 3 and Ena at 4.

(Wh-what're they saying...!? Are they planning to start fighting each other for the gun!?)

It was likely that a fight really would break out if he didn't act soon. Watase frantically rose his voice.

Then you hold on to the gun, Moribe!
Huh!? Why Ms. Moribe!?
You and the old man are civilians, right? So leaving it up to a professional like Moribe is the right choice.
A 'professional'...? Now look here, you may be professional rescue workers, but that does not make you professionals at handling a gun!
Argh, enough grumbling-- just give me that gun already!

--And thus, a quarrel broke out. The four of them were soon shouting whatever they liked back and forth at each other...

Hm, why am I making a picture of that? No reason in particular, really...

...uh oh. This time, Watase is brought into the branch as well, who sits at 6. And the branch's red. That's not good.

Then what do you say we should do?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Accidental Shooting

Watase then tried to snatch the pistol from Ena. But then-- Ukita intervened.

No! It'd be safer for me to hold on to it instead of you! Ms. Tsubakiyama, give it to me! Now!
Hold on! I said I was the one who was going to hold on to it, didn't I!?
C-Cut it out, you guys--!

Ukita and Jun reached for Ena's pistol. The three of them then began fighting over the gun.

Hey, that's enough! Stop fighting, guys!

Watase grew impatient and tried to tear his three companions, now practically wrestling each other for the gun, off of each other. --Just then...

Watase heard a dry sound, followed by what felt like something punching him straight in the heart. He looked down and saw a small hole had been bored in the dead center of his chest.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

When he said that-- a gurgling sound echoed from his throat. Something welled up and clogged his trachea. It hurt. Watase coughed it up.

(Wh... why...?)

Just then, he felt a heat slowly but steadily spread around his lungs. He was then assaulted with scorching pain a second later.

Ggh, ugh!

Watase groaned and grabbed his chest. His palm was soaked with warm, dark red blood.

C-Captain...!
No, this can't be...!
...!

Watase looked closer to find that all three of their hands were wrapped around the gun. And that the muzzle was pointed straight at him for some reason.

Watase vomited blood again. He felt strength leaving the core of his body a moment later. He fell to his knees. His body then lurched forward-- When his cheek came into contact with the cold floor, a chill rapidly spread throughout his entire body. --Urgh. Watase's energy grew fainter with each time he vomited blood. Jun was desperately shouting something right above him. Ena was doing the same. But their words merely sounded like white noise ringing in Watase's ears. Just then, the light suddenly faded from his eyes. His consciousness sank into darkness. And then-- As Watase lay there, not knowing if he'd been shot by accident or on purpose-- His heart stopped.

You know, I'm pretty sure you kind of saw this coming. We'll do better next time.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I hold Ukita personally responsible for this one :colbert: Although all things considered, keeping the gun out of Watase's hands isn't a bad idea, considering what happened last time. I think it's fairly safe to say it's the same gun :v:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Danaru posted:

I think it's fairly safe to say it's the same gun :v:

Is it, though? We have confirmation of at least one bomb in LABO, and somebody pretty clearly was carrying a machine gun at some point, given the way those three bodies got their poo poo wrecked. A second handgun being in play is hardly anything special at this point.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TheMcD posted:

Is it, though? We have confirmation of at least one bomb in LABO, and somebody pretty clearly was carrying a machine gun at some point, given the way those three bodies got their poo poo wrecked. A second handgun being in play is hardly anything special at this point.

That's fair, actually :tinfoil: Watase's missing gun has always been a sticking point for me. It's also possible that Natsuhiko has the lost gun since he was there the only time we saw it. It could also still be on Watase because he's a dopey boy who might not have thought to give himself a full pat down :v:

Also on another note, if she found the gun when the emergency crew folks were doing CPR on the girl with the gunshot wound in her gut, we mighta found the murder weapon :(

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

TheMcD posted:

Watase timidly got up and looked into the stairwell behind him. However-- no explosion had happened. Ena also got up, her eyebrows furrowed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8rYotiiFP8

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I maintain that this is probably my favourite bad ending.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TheMcD posted:

(It felt very ''improvised on the spot'' for a trap...)

While this seems about right, who the hell improvises a time bomb on the spot? :v:

Besides MacGyver

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Yes, also known as survival games... it's a grown-up version of playing soldier where you shoot each other with air guns. So while I've never handled a real gun before, I got good at shooting from that... well, as good as you -can- get, I suppose.

no loving way.

I was seriously just joking.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure that little revelation is supposed to make you think "no loving way" so it's all good.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Glazius posted:

I'm pretty sure that little revelation is supposed to make you think "no loving way" so it's all good.

Depends on whether you're inclined to trust her already or not.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Smoking Barrel: 09/16/2030, 13:31 - Part 2

Alright, let's not gently caress up this time.

Down to zero Watase's Sense of self goes.

Then what do you say we should do?
It's too dangerous to keep this thing around. Let's destroy or throw it away.
But if we destroy it... then none of us will have a way to defend ourselves in the chance that there's a terrorist hiding around down here, right?
And throwing it away is not an option either. Someone else will just pick it up eventually.
Mmm... then... umm...

The gears in Watase's mind rotated at high speed-- and then produced him the best answer.

Then we'll give one of each to three of us for safekeeping.
You're saying we'll split it up?

Everyone's eyes widened at Watase's proposal.

Just call him Solomon Kasasagi.

Watase may have sounded composed on the outside, but he was panicking on the inside.

(This gun just had to show up when everyone was already unstable as it was! It's too dangerous to keep around! I've gotta resolve this whole thing peacefully!)

Watase kept speaking in the gentlest voice he could in order to hide his fears.

That's right. Then in the extremely rare chance that a terrorist or something does show up-- We can agree to put the gun back together to defend ourselves, right?
Hmm... yeah, that's a good point.
And likewise, if a terrorist doesn't show up, then none of us has an advantage over the other. We can all rest easy this way.
But...
Please go with it. I want to get this stupid issue over with as quickly as possible.

Silence reigned over the group for a while. Ena soon let out an exasperated sigh,

...All right. I'll do as you say.

then took the magazine out of the gun. She then awkwardly took the bullets out of the magazine and the gun's chamber. There were 11 of them in total.

...Will this do?
Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem.
But who'll hold on to what?
It doesn't really matter, but... how about this? Old man, you'll get the gun, Teach, you'll have the magazine, and Moribe, you hold on to the bullets.
Wait, what about you?
I'll pass. I'm the one who suggested this, so it's better that I don't take any of it.
I see... then I suppose we can indeed relax.
I'm cool with that too.
I agree... then let's split it up.

Ena then gave Ukita the gun, then the bullets to Jun.

Okay, problem solved now, right?
Yep, we're A-OK now.
Indeed, I feel better this way.
Yes...

The three of them seemed placated for the time being. But Watase was thinking about something completely different.

If the gun had belonged to the ''terrorist'' Jun mentioned, then why was it lying by the lift?

(But who would ever get rid of a loaded gun?)

Then that would mean the owner hadn't ''gotten rid'' of it, but rather ''dropped'' it. Or-- maybe they left it there?

(... Was it in order to give it to us...?)

Watase wondered if this had all been a trap someone set up to drive a rift between the group.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Lesson: 09/16/2030, 13:44

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Now the group had to pull themselves together and continue with the search whether they liked it or not. Watase addressed the others with that thought in mind.

Okay then... it looks like all of us except for Tachibana are here, then. Our team got here from circling around from Area 6. Teach, your team find anything?
No... we couldn't locate Ms. Yuuri or the others, and we didn't see any AD either.
What about you, old man?
It's only been 20 minutes since I split up from you guys, hasn't it? Of course I didn't find anything.

Like always, their search had yielded nothing.

I see... then did any of you notice anything strange?

Watase said that as a way to basically say ''did anyone spot Salyu''-- But then Jun gave a surprising answer.

Ah, now that you mention it, I did. It's nothing major, but-- That 'floral scent' has suddenly disappeared for some reason.
...Huh?

Watase was totally confused by her comment.

What 'floral scent'?
Well, you know, it's been hanging around here and there in the facility. You didn't smell it?
Wait, was there something like that?

Watase then glanced at Ukita and Ena.

Ah, now that you mention it, I do recall smelling that.
Huh? Hmm... I don't think I ever did.

Two contradicting statements.

...?

It just didn't make sense to Watase. The four of them, plus Kazami and Yuuri, had traveled through the entire facility together, yet Watase and Ena didn't smell anything while Jun and Ukita did.

What are you talking about...? Where did you smell that?
No, seriously, it's not a big deal, so forget about it. Anyway, what about you guys? You notice anything?
Y-yeah.

Watase said that and changed his train of thought.

Actually, Teach and I spotted Salyu earlier... but she ran off again.
Again? Why?
...I don't know.

Salyu's words crossed his mind for a moment. ''Be careful of that captain. He's a dangerous man.'' But Ena didn't bring that up, perhaps out of consideration for Watase.

I don't know why she ran off, but she still looked lively from what I could see. I think she's been regularly giving herself AD.
Yeah, that's a silver lining, that's for sure...!
Indeed... that was the one thing I was worried about.

Everyone nodded at Ukita’s comment.

Though that said, that doesn't necessarily mean she has enough AD. She probably ran off in the direction of Area 6. Let's look for her together.
What should we do about the Lieutenant?
She said she'd head back to the neuroscience laboratory once she got better.
Then that's perfect, seeing how Area 6 is right next to the neuroscience laboratory and all.
Then let's continue the search, shall we?
Yes. Let's get going.

The group then started to walk off.

She was fiddling around with her PDA, probably to check her map. Watase walked up to her and whispered into her ear.

Teach.
!!

Ena turned around in surprise. She put away her PDA and spoke in a sharp voice.

Don't sneak up on me like that. You scared the living daylights out of me.
O-oh, sorry.... But anyway, I couldn't help but notice you didn't tell Moribe or the old man about what Salyu said.
You fool, of course I didn't. It would just make things unnecessarily complicated. That's the same reason I didn't tell them about the bomb. After all, it seems it was my pistol that made everyone so furious.
I see...
But you know-- We need to constantly keep that bomb incident and what happened with Ms. Sannomiya in mind.
Huh?
There must be a reason behind Ms. Sannomiya running away from us that we don't know about. Someone had to have planted that bomb. That's for sure. We might overlook something vital if we lower our guards. Something that may cost us our lives.

Blue branch, with Ena at 4.

A silent edge different from all her backtalk and hysteric shouting could be felt from her.

Teach, what are you...?
I'm telling you to doubt everything around you. That includes the people nearby, this facility, and occasionally everything you see. Your own preconceptions may be tricking you, after all.
...That doesn't sound like something a teacher would say.
Well, teachers are surprisingly suspicious creatures. You can't protect the students you've sworn to keep safe if you trust every little thing.
...Is that true?
There, that's the spirit. You have to doubt what I say too.

The group arrived at Area 6 while they were talking.

We're forming up into teams again. Moribe, you're with Teach. Old man, you're with me. Search whatever you can. Once you're done, return to the neuroscience laboratory for the time being.
...Roger. Then we'll cover the factory, okay?
...Got it.
I suppose I have no objections.
All right then, be careful, guys.

With those words, Watase then parted ways with Ena's team.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Test Subject: 09/16/2030, 13:49

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

Watase and Ukita were searching the area. But... they couldn't find anything.

...There's nothing here.
Then I suppose all we can do is check B1, yes?
Yeah.

They headed for the emergency staircase.

But the rope Watase had used to climb up earlier was still right where he'd left it.

Does... this mean that we have to climb this rope in order to get upstairs?
Yeah. Can you climb it?
H-highly unlikely. I have absolutely zero confidence when it comes to climbing...!
Well, that's okay. Just get on my back and I'll--

But Watase realized something before he finished speaking. He was feeling quite tired. Could he really climb up the rope with Ukita on his back in this shape?

(If the two of us fall together by any chance, we'll both get badly hurt...) Actually... I think it'd be safer if I didn't climb with you on my back.
I see... then what do you propose?
I'll go by myself. You go back to the factory and help Moribe and Teach with their search.
Roger. Then rendezvous with us in the factory when you're done.
Yeah. You be careful yourself.

Ukita nodded, then left the stairwell.

Okay then...

Watase promptly climbed the rope to the upper floor.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Watase began searching the block by himself. But he didn't find Yuuri or any of the other survivors in the rooms.

Tch, and after all that work to get up here...

He figured he should go to the factory and meet up with Ukita and the others. But just as he thought that--

...?

He hadn't noticed it the last time he'd been there. The monitor was still on. It appeared the PC was frozen. On-screen was what appeared to be a text file that someone had been editing.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

...!!!???

Nothing he saw on that screen meant anything to Watase. And yet-- he felt a mysterious chill run through him the moment he saw all those entries for some reason.

T-test subjects...!?

He didn't recognize any of those images. Perhaps they were remnants of his memories of the past. But they were accompanied by intense fear and unpleasant feelings that assaulted him. He didn't know why, but just being there was terrifying and made him disgusted enough to throw up...

Khh...!

Watase left the room as if he were running away from it.

He headed for the stairwell as he pondered when that was. As he descended the rope, he slowly began to realize it.

(It was fairly recently, wasn't it...? No... a bit earlier than that...!)

He searched for the truth behind his fear, and then--

(!!)

It was when he'd entered the contaminated zone to look for Yuuri after she'd run off.

He remembered her saying that.

(That's right, now that I think about it-- Yuuri said something strange back then!)

He'd felt that same strange sense of dread back then for some reason. Why had he forgotten about it until now? Shocked, Watase watched as the Yuuri in his memory spoke.

Do you really not remember...? A minute later and I would have died... I was really scared... when I found myself trapped all alone in that sea of flames...
Y-Yuuri... what are you talking about...?
If you don't know, then I don't know either... I don't know what to believe anymore...!
So Captain Kasasagi... please... Please let me know your mind...!

Yuuri said that and turned her palm towards Watase--

--A strange image spread out right before him. That sight overlapped with Yuuri.

Aah, aah... U-UWAAAAAAAAAAAH!

That was right: Yuuri had indeed said all that. He'd completely forgotten about that encounter with her even though it'd only happened about an hour ago.

Wh-why did I...!?

He thought about it, then suddenly gasped after a few seconds.

(Could it be that my memory impairment... isn't actually healing with time... but only getting worse instead...!?)

Watase shuddered at that thought. But that wasn't the only thing that horrified him. There was also the fact Watase had felt a clear ''fear'' for Yuuri in that memory he'd just recovered.

(Wh-why would I ever be scared of Yuuri...!?)

Just then, even more incomprehensible words passed through Watase's brain as if to only confuse him further.

(Wh... what the hell was that!? What the hell were those words!? I don't know them! I've never heard those words before!!)

Watase drowned out those words along with the unpleasant feelings he felt.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Watase felt a horrible shiver down his spine.

He got the feeling that in the shadow of the debris of the emergency staircase, a blind spot that he hadn't paid attention to when climbing... --''Something'' was hiding.

...Who's there?

His heartbeat skyrocketed.

Who's there!?

It appeared to be lying on the floor.

...!?

Watase timidly peeked behind the shadow of the debris-- And found himself face to face with an unbelievable sight.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

...No...

Watase's voice sounded empty. A small body lying on the ground.

Eyes that had lost all light. Watase saw all of that.

...Yuuri?

She didn't respond even after he'd called her name. Her body didn't twitch. A single streak of dark red blood adorned her pale face. That blood had long since gone dry.

--!!

Watase ran over to her. All the fear he'd been feeling a short time ago vanished in an instant.

Yuuri! Yuuri!

He sat Yuuri up as he shouted her name. But her head dangled feebly. She wasn't breathing. Her body had gone cold. That was, without a doubt... Yuuri's corpse.

It can't be... why...? Why did something like this have to happen...!?

There was no one who could answer that question. Watase instinctively held Yuuri's ice-cold body close to his chest. And at that moment-- memories of her passed through his head.

{Don't stop! Save her!}

He'd heard that voice in his head when he'd first seen her. It was at that moment that Watase had decided to do everything he could to protect her.

!?

But she was wary of him at first, preventing them from reaching a mutual understanding.

Watase acted all in accordance with his desire to keep her safe.

It... it feels like you're always worrying about me... Why is that...?
But when I first met you, I felt this mysterious yet powerful desire to save you.

Those had been Watase's honest feelings.

Watase acted without a moment's hesitation.

...C-Captain Kasasagi...!
Don't worry, Yuuri... I'll save you. You can bet on that.

He kept trying to protect her no matter what was thrown his way. He'd tried to escape the facility so he could get her out to safety. --But she'd run away. Then Watase had let her out of his sight because of some incomprehensible fear he'd felt for her. And now, he'd finally found her again--

(... Why...? Just when she finally started opening up to me a little...!)

Fierce regret raged within him. Sorrow then filled his heart. The sound of a watch's hands ticking filled the otherwise silent room. And thus, before she could ever tell Watase anything about what she'd meant back then, the source of his fear for her, and what she'd been feeling about him the whole time-- Yuuri had fallen into eternal silence.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
WHAT THE gently caress

EDIT: Oh poo poo it's clones, there's clones I'm calling it right now :tinfoil: The computer mentions test subjects "Na", "Na2", "Yu", "Ka", and "Ma". Those are totally Natsuhiko, Yuuri, and Mashiro, I'm not sure who "Ka" is since the fourth girl we know is Saiyu. Maybe it's that other white haired girl.

The computer mentions Y-I being disposed of, my guess is this Yuuri is Yuuri-I, and our Yuuri, Yuuri-II is the other one listed. Also Watase might have disposed of Yuuri-I which is why Yuuri-II was like "yo what the gently caress why'd you do that" because the computer mentions memory recovery.

The computer also mentions Na becoming Subject N nine years before these events, which would explain why a Natsuhiko was at the center of the facility kicking Watase's rear end. Case N must have been referring to Natsuhiko-I being used as a reactor or a BC antenna or some poo poo :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil: As it stands, who the hell is subject "Ka", and what does Saiyu have to do with this? She's clearly in with the Communicators, and what's with Case N Natsuhiko? Maybe regular Natsuhiko and the other Communicators were busting him out

I love this game

EDIT 2: Oh man okay, so I'm theorizing I was wrong about Watase being a terrorist, but sticking with him being a LABO Wesker, going with the "Watase killed Yuuri-I" thing. Instead, the terrorists are Communicators/Communicator sympathisors trying to put a stop to the clearly inhumane garbage LABO is pulling, what with the child experimentation and murder and stuff. :tinfoil: The terrorists broke in and either they blew something up, or Case N Natsuhiko caused the explosion after being freed.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 3, 2016

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Uh... what? Yuuri isn't actually dead, right?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Assuming that our Yuuri is Subject Y-II mentioned in the report, I think we just found Subject Y-I :tinfoil:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
The only Ka we know of is Kazami I guess? But that doesn't make any sense, she couldn't be a Communicator, could she? I am so confused, but I am loving this roller coaster.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
:monocle::aaa::aaaaa:
So, lets go over this pages revelations from the top, shall we?

First of all, the gun. It does not look like it has the shape of Watase's gun, though the times we saw it were unclear. Also, if Teach is to be believed, she found it when we were checking the last girl to be murdered, so unless Watase is much thinner than he looks under that suit and has his own, he is not the murderer.

Second is.....the computer. First of all it seemingly confirms two things: that LABO was about using nuclear energy and other means to genetically engineer something in test subjects (so it probably is radiation we're worrying about here), and that 'Case N' meant an escape attempt by a test subject. There are 4 test subjects (A,N,Y and Y-2). Of them, A died somehow and nothing else is mentioned. N is fine. Both of the previous inherited Type S Gene abnormalities hereditarily. Y had Gene abnormalities type 4, with attempts to mutate with WX particles failing, leading the experimenters to wipe memory and 'discard' it, reclassifying as a 'Special Observation Target' to ensure memory erasure stuck. Unfortunately (for the researchers) the 'Retirement' Curse struck and LABO had an accident/attack when they had one day to go. Y-2 seems to have been promising, as it Acquired it's Type S instead of Inheriting it, presumably through WX mutation or other factors.

There are 3 Special Observation Targets and two Observation Targets (Na, Na2, Yu, Ka and Ma). Of them all, Yu can be ignored as this is the day before the release. Na seems to have been abducted and turned into Subject N in 2021 (busy year huh? Two dead, one a kid, after an LABO arson incident, with radiation rumoured involved. Perhaps this mysterious Na was brought in to replace the mysterious and mysteriously dead A. On an entirely unrelated note, I wonder what Kazami's sister was like). Na2 seems to be ongoing and, interestingly, seems to have Acquired their Type S, though there seems to be no mention as to how he ('he' is used as a generic reference) could have, when all the mutagens are presumably locked tight in LABO (I wonder if he was around 9 years ago?). The Observation Target Ka has an inherited Type D abnormality but seems almost unrelated. Ma has a inherited Type B (Yu gets numbers the rest are letters?) with a note to consider an irradiation test on him (the goal seems to be Type S, so perhaps his B made him promising?).

Then flashbacks consisting of: Salyu (or one who looks like her) looking through some glass? A computer on some page aaaaaand a creepy white haired and red eyed girl in something strapping her down either looking up at something or dead.

Finally....Yuuri. I don't know what else to say. The wound on her head wasn't a climbing accident. This was foul play.

These are the facts. What you make of them is your own decision.

EDIT: I messed up, the Yu subject was released on Sep 10th, while today is Sep 16th so they've been out for nearly a week.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 3, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
"Discard" isn't the same as "dispose", and memory recovery might not have anything to do with a clone receiving uploaded memories from an original or previous copy (and a clone would have the same genetic insufficiency, right?). So if they discarded a damaged subject after ascertaining that they didn't have the right gene, whatever tests or experiments they performed on that subject might have resulted in cognitive impairments. They perhaps haven't discarded a human subject before and aren't sure what the consequences for that former subject will be. That subject is probably not the dead Yuuri (that's just a hunch -- this corpse's new, right? why would it be atop rubble if she was killed before the LABO disaster?). The discarded subject could be Watase or whoever is possessing (?) Watase, given the memory problems our protag is facing.

efb

also, I think Ena might actually be an investigator of some stripe rather than a psycho murderer or heh teacher.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Huh.
All of this heavy stuff going down and all I can think about is that the number of bullets left in that gun's magazine will come into play later.

11 plus a minimum of 2 in order to get through the door means it's got at least a magazine size of 12 (assuming whoever owns that gun knows about sticking one in the chamber.) Judging by it's size I'd say it's probably a maximum of 14 since it doesn't appear to be an extended magazine.

Which leaves enough missing bullets to make it the murder weapon of that kid and this Yuuri :shepicide:

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Since most of the people who have posted so far seem hung up on the clone hypothesis, I'll just point out there are two Yu's in the cast.....

EDIT: Well, on second thought, there's only one now.....

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 3, 2016

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I'm going to note one thing while I enjoy this - that's back along Watase's original route, around the spot he parted with Ukita. As you may have noticed, there was not a body there at that time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Old man, you'll get the gun, Teach, you'll have the magazine, and Moribe, you hold on to the bullets.

quote:

Old man, you'll get the gun

quote:

Old man, you'll get the gun

WATASE YOU loving MORON!!

rip moribe :(

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

SSNeoman posted:

WATASE YOU loving MORON!!

rip moribe :(

Nah, he'll have to kill Kazami first, whereupon hopefully Watase will get what's what and beat his rear end. Don't get me wrong, I like Kazami, but there's a reason why Moribe has consistently been in the top 3 since the beginning.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Dreamlike - 09/16/2030, 13:57

He had no clue how long he'd been like that. Soon enough--

{How long are you gonna space out for!? Hurry up and get back to the others!}

!!

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

He realized he'd been strolling like a zombie through the inner ring's hallway without even being aware of it. He turned around and saw the door to the stairwell behind him.

(... That's right... I have to tell everyone what happened... No matter how painful that may be...!)

Watase mustered his nearly torn heart and headed for the factory.

Oh, Captain.
You're looking really pale there. What's wrong?

Everyone ran up to him. Ukita looked at his watch and spoke.

You sure took quite some time. Did something happen?

Watase answered in a shaky voice.

G-guys... please don't freak out when you hear this, but... Y-Yuuri's... dead...!
... What!?

Everyone's eyes widened.

Impossible! How can she be dead!?
Was it an accident!? Was she murdered!?
I-I don't know... but I found her body... That's a fact...
Wh-where!? Where did you find her!?
Come with me... it's this way...

Watase took the others with him and headed back for the stairwell in the inner ring.

Watase stopped in front of the stairwell. His companions all gulped.

Ms. Yuuri's here...!
...I'm opening it up now...
O-okay...

Watase paused as he felt cold sweat roll down his back-- And then opened the door.

... Wha...?

There was nothing there. Nothing but the wreckage of the collapsed staircase.

Didn't you say there was a body here?

Ukita and the others looked puzzled. By the time Watase could speak again, his voice was Ieaden with disbelief.

Th... this can't be...!

Watase searched the cramped stairwell. But-- he couldn't find the body no matter how hard he looked.

...The... the body's gone...!

Ukita let out an exasperated sigh when he heard that.

Good grief... are you sure you weren't just seeing things?
I-I'm not lying! There really was a body here, I swear! There was a girl with blood pouring down her head! She was dead no matter how you looked at...
Blood? But I don't see any bloodstains anywhere...

Watase was rendered speechless at that. He'd just confirmed with his own eyes that there were indeed no body or bloodstains anywhere to be found.

...Perhaps the absence of the body you allegedly found can be explained as your perception itself being wrong.
What?
You hit your head hard enough to induce amnesia. That means your brain has been damaged in some way, yes?
...!

Watase felt shivers down his spine. For Ukita's theory made total sense. Then did that mean that the auditory hallucinations he'd been hearing for the past few hours... and his constant headaches and nausea... were the result of brain damage? To make matters worse, he'd also been suffering from radiation damage on top of that--

(Has my brain... been damaged past the point of no return...!?)

Watase desperately tried to find another plausible explanation for everything, but--

(--I can't think of anything...!)

In the first place, he didn't even have any clue why he had amnesia to begin with, or what had happened before he lost his memories. Meaning that thinking about his condition wouldn't help him at all.

(poo poo! If only I could remember what the situation just before I lost my memories was like! If only I could remember what happened a few hours ago! Then I might be able to finally answer some of my questions! Like the truth behind my condition and what's been happening in this facility today...!)

It felt like he was totally lacking in the knowledge he needed to understand all that. Just then, Ukita's voice interrupted his thoughts.

Captain Kasasagi, are you listening?

Watase gritted his teeth and mustered a response.

N-no... hold on, this still doesn't make any sense.
How so?
Maybe I only thought Yuuri was dead, but she was actually still alive... She must have started breathing again and went off somewhere after I left.
Do you really think... she could have done all that in just the span of a few minutes?
Look, let's just split up and search the area already! Moribe and I will cover B1! Teach, old man, you take care of B2!
O-okay... Well, if you say so, then of course I'll obey, but...

Fine, then just for five minutes! All of us will gather back here in five minutes!

Though they were reluctant, Watase managed to persuade everyone. Thus they began the search for Yuuri. --But no matter how hard they searched-- They couldn't find Yuuri anywhere.

Watase couldn't say anything in the face of everyone's stares.

Captain Kasasagi, there's this old saying: 'the ghost was just withered grass'...

Tips posted:

TIP: The ghost was just withered grass
Category: Includes fiction

''The frightening ghost
Upon closer inspection
Was just withered grass''

A saying based on a haiku written by the Genroku Era poet, Yokoi Yayu, in his haibun anthology ''Uzurakoromo''. The haiku means that even strange, unusual things become insignificant once you learn the truth behind them. However, the original haiku written by Yayu is said to be closer to

''The bakemono
Upon closer inspection
Was just withered grass''

And over time ''bakemono'' was changed to ''frightening ghost''. Ghosts, monsters, and the like are often seen in books, folklore, and myths, but ghost stories were particularly popular in the Edo period, where the so-called three great ghost stories of Japan were born in succession: Yotsuya Kaidan, Sarayashiki, and Botan Doro. The change from ''bakemono'' to ghost may have originated around this time. A phrase with a similar meaning is ''suspicion begets monsters''. There is also the comic haiku used in rakugo storytelling,

''I readied my sword
But on closer inspection
'twas a willow tree'',

The theme can be seen in other literary works as well. It is the fearful human heart that creates the unknown.

That was a weird tip.

I'm sure you were so desperate to find Yuuri that you just mistook a shadow or something for her.
I... I guess you're right...

He couldn't press his own belief on them any longer.

Watase reluctantly withheld his opinion and changed gears.

...Think about it another way... it's actually better if I was just misunderstanding things, because that means she's not dead.
Indeed. I'm sure she's still alive somewhere.
Yes, precisely.

Watase said that to convince himself. But-- something was clearly happening here. Watase continued talking as he felt that ominous premonition in his mind.

Let's head back to the neuroscience laboratory for now...
Yes, it's already been over an hour since we left, after all.
Indeed, that would be for the best.
And the Lieutenant might be waiting for us there, you know?

The group thus headed on over towards the neuroscience laboratory. --But Kazami wasn't there. Instead-- the group was greeted with a shocking sight.

♪ BGM: Abyss

It wasn't what they saw that was strange. It was what they -didn't- see that was strange.

The AD they'd left in the neuroscience laboratory... was all gone!

This can't be happening...!

All they found were torn scraps of paper scattered on the floor. Watase picked one of them up. It read ''To Mr. Tenkawa...''. --They were the ripped up remnants of Ena's note.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

What is this

At first I thought this Watase blacked out, killed Yuuri and then came back to his senses, which would explain the sudden "shiver down his spine". However he describes her body as ice-cold which kind of is odd enough on its own. It doesn't say yet how much time Watase spent searching, but it probably wasn't long enough for a body to go particularly cold. Even assuming Yuuri died very soon after we last saw her, it's only been about an hour or two. So, is it Watase's subjective exaggeration, Hollywood writing or weird shenanigans?

At any rate, all these static noise effects must mean something. It would be kinda interesting if they're supposed to be literal signal interference of some kind. Psychic kind, I'd assume.

Also, what are the chances that Watase's feelings of having to save specifically Yuuri no matter what are because he's also (been) another test subject?

edit: Oh, another update. Apparently it was only eight minutes and now she's gone like she was never there. That "explains" it I guess. Does the static mark some kind of alternate timeline hopping?

tiistai fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 3, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Suspicion - 09/16/2030, 14:09

♪ BGM: Abyss

Everyone was frozen in shock.

Oh no... now we only have one AD each...! Without AD, we'll be... exposed to the radiation!

Watase couldn't speak.

The radiation levels throughout the entire facilty were all probably past the first danger standard by this point. Kazami had indeed managed to survive for an hour on only half of an AD before, but she also mentioned that she hadn't been feeling well during that time. Plus, the radiation levels were completely different then. If things didn't turn for the better soon, it was most likely only a matter of time before they exceeded the second danger standard.

(And the last time I was in a contaminated zone, I...!)

He'd suffered from intense headaches and nausea after only a few minutes in there. He shuddered at the thought of that happening to everyone else.

Dammit, how the hell did this happen!?

Bizarre events just kept happening one after the other. Watase gritted his teeth. Ukita then spoke up.

A blue branch with Jun at 8.

He's right, and what's more... the culprit must be one of us.

Jun scanned the others with a sharp look in her eye.

W-wait just a minute, Moribe... do you realize what you just said?
But that's the only possibility I can think of! I mean, there's no one else here aside from us and those kids, right? But I don't think Natsuhiko and the others would go steal the AD without saying a thing. I know them! They're good kids who would never tear up a note like that! So it's only natural to think that one of us is the culprit! Hey, who was it that went off on their own!? Can you all prove your alibis!?

Watase was dumbfounded at the fierce look Jun was giving them all. Just then, Ena sighed and spoke.

True, we don't have alibis...
T-Teach...!
Me, Captain Kasasagi, and Mr. Ukita were all off on our own for a period of time. But you know-- you don't have an alibi either, Ms. Moribe.

Ena gave Jun a pointed glare.

... Huh?
There's no one who can prove what you were doing between the time you got hurt and when you regrouped with the rest of us, correct?
Wh-what are you talking about? I was resting in that room. The Captain can back me up on that one.
But what if you got back on your feet right away? And besides, they often say that the accuser is usually the most suspicious one.
What!? What're you getting at? Are you actually trying to say -I'm- the one who hid the AD?
We can't deny that possibility.

!

Ena trembled in the face of Jun's mad roar.

What would I possibly have to gain from that!? I'm a -rescue- worker, for God's sake! The pay's poo poo, the job's hell, and it's the most unappreciated line of work there is on top of that! But you know why we do it!? It's because we want to help people! Every time we go to work it feels like we're diving straight into Hell itself, and we've faced countless near-death experiences, but we do this job because we want to rescue people! And yet you have the goddamn nerve to imply that I, Jun Moribe, a member of Sirius, stole the AD? What the gently caress's wrong with you!?

Jun gave Ena the deadliest glare she could, then started panting heavily once she finished talking. Tears were pouring down her cheeks.

Ena was absolutely speechless. She looked away in regret.

I-I'm sorry... you really are putting your life on the line in that job, aren't you...
...That's right. We're always prepared for that risk.

Just as Jun said that in a shaky voice--

But you can't say for sure that all rescue workers think the same way.

Ukita interjected.

Old man!?

So here we have a yellow branch asking us about the three high schoolers. Mashiro sits at 5, and the other two at 4.

Then are you trying to say... that there's a traitor in Sirius...?
Perhaps.
You ungrateful bastard! Are you forgetting that we saved your drat life just last week!?
Now now, hold on, what I'm doubting is--

Enough! Cut it out, guys!
...!
I've had enough of watching all you bickering with each other! Why is it that hard for you guys to have a bit more faith in each other!? So what if the note was torn up!? Maybe the survivors just took the AD, you ever think of that!? Why do you just keep doubting each other without any proof!? Don't you see how wrong that is!?
But how are we supposed to find proof of who did it!?
...The surveillance room!
The surveillance room?
Teach, Tachibana's checking the cameras while she's resting in the surveillance room, right?
...Yes.
Then she's probably watching over the facility with those cameras--
But most of the surveillance cameras are broken, remember?
'Most', not 'all' of them. Which means that it's worth a shot to check them out...! At least it's better than sticking around here and yelling our heads off.

Jun, Ena, and Ukita were all silent. Eventually, Jun spoke up in a soft voice.

Yeah, you're right... Let's go on over to the surveillance room, guys. But if I ever find out that one of you is the culprit, I swear I'll...

Jun surveyed the others with a fierce glare.

...No, there's no way that one of us did it. We're going there so we can find proof that we can trust each other.

The group then hurried on over to the surveillance room.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

An Inconvenient Truth: 09/16/2030, 14:16

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

It was just like the time he'd been in a contaminated zone...!

!!

Watase checked his watch. He then realized that it was already past time for them to take their AD.

C-crap! Everyone, take your AD!
!! O-On it!

The group then administered themselves with AD. Now they had none left at all.

...I felt a pain in my skin as soon as the AD wore off.
... Likewise.

Now they really were in an environment where they couldn't live without AD.

...Let's step on it. We need to find out where the AD went and fast.

The group nodded and started running again.

The group were now right outside the surveillance room.

???: --... stop... don't want to hear...

He heard a voice from inside.

Was that... Tachibana?

Just then, she started talking again.

...ow do you know that... Don't tell me that...--

He couldn't hear the voice behind the door all that well, but it seemed like she was talking to someone.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

R-right!

Watase restrained his confusion and opened the door.

!?

Kazami shouted at the same time Watase opened the door. She then looked at the group, and her face froze over.

Tachibana... are you by yourself?

Kazami was the only one in the surveillance room.

That is correct... Why, does it look like someone else is here?
No, I don't see anyone...
I could have sworn that I heard you arguing with someone...
Th-that was... --I was talking to the radio.
The radio?

A yellow branch, with Kazami at 7.

So I shouted 'wait' by myself when the connection went dead...

Kazami looked at the floor as she relayed all that in a feeble voice.

(Is that true...?)

He wondered that for a moment-- but then he decided against prying any further. He didn't want to make the doubt still palpable with their group even stronger. He just chalked it up as yet another bizarre incident. Watase then moved on to the pressing issue at hand.

Tachibana, just to be safe... you didn't bring the AD in here, did you?
Huh...? What do you mean by that? I haven't taken a step out of this room ever since I got here...
I see...
Did something happen?
Actually... it looks like someone took the AD that we left lying around in the neuroscience laboratory.
Huh...!?
So we came here to check the surveillance camera footage to see if it could help us out.

Watase looked at Kazami when he said that. Knowing her, he figured she'd readily comply with their request. However--

The AD's...
...?
I see... so the AD's gone, is it...?
T-Tachibana...?

Kazami then answered without looking at Watase.

...Captain, my apologies, but none of the cameras near the neuroscience laboratory are working.
I-is that so...
I've been checking the surveillance footage in thorough detail. There are two cameras working in Area 1's outer ring, two in Area 2's inner ring, one in Area 3's outer ring... two in Area 4's outer ring, and two in Area 6's inner ring. That's all.
Wait, Area 6's inner ring!?
Yes, one in the emergency staircase, and one in the hallway.
Then did you see Yuuri on them!?
Ms. Yuuri...? Unfortunately, I haven't seen any footage of her wandering around by herself...
Wait, she should have been near Area 6!
Why do you believe that?

Ukita answered in Watase's stead.

Well, you see, he claims that he saw Yuuri's corpse in the Area 6 emergency staircase.
Ms. Yuuri's corpse!?
We were shocked too, so we went over to check it out, but there was nothing there.
But we can check the cameras to see if what I saw was real or not. Play back the footage from around 20 minutes ago!
U-understood...!

Kazami said that, then replayed the surveillance camera footage. --Archive footage showing the emergency staircase in Area 6's inner ring played on the monitor.

Watase and Ukita soon showed up. Everyone's eyes were fixed on the monitor.

That's right, the old man and I split up here...

The footage showed Ukita walking away from Watase, followed by the latter climbing the rope. Watase soon finished up his search of B1 and came back.

It's right after this! I stopped right there... and saw Yuuri's body!

Watase leaned forward. However--

The footage showed Watase heading straight out the stairwell without stopping.

Wha...

The time matched up with Watase's memories, but--

He didn't... find a body...!?
Wh-why...!?

Watase muttered that, then heard a low voice behind him.

Captain Kasasagi, what is the meaning of this?

Watase turned around in surprise to find Ukita scowling right at him.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cross-Examination: 09/16/2030, 14:20

So not only did you not find a body, but you didn't even stop like you said you did. Why did you lie, hmm?
...!

Watase couldn't answer that question.

That's not all that's strange either. There's also the video's timestamp. '1:52 PM'. It seems you left the stairwell at this time-- However, you did not return to the factory until '1:58 PM'.
What!?
Mr. Ukita, is that true!?
Yes, I checked my watch when he came back, so I'm sure of it.

Now that he thought about it, Ukita did say, ''You sure took quite some time. Did something happen?'' when they regrouped in the factory. Watase had thought the time lag had been because he'd been shocked and out of it from finding a body, but--

A blue branch asking us about Ukita, who sits at 2, and Watase, who sits at 6. It's white because I had to set Watase's Sense of self back to 6 from when I had it at 0 to get past the gun part.

Where were you and what were you doing in that six minute blank?
W-well... I was really out of it after seeing that body... When I came to my senses, I was walking down the inner ring's hallway... but as for where and what I was doing...
But that's not true. The archive footage even shows that there was no body in the first place!
No, I know what I saw...!

His memory of finding Yuuri's body was still crystal clear in Watase's mind. But his ''subjective'' memory had been smashed into pieces by Ukita's rebuttal-- and the ''objective'' video footage.

Wh-what's the meaning of this, Captain...?
Do you even need to ask? I believe it is quite obvious: he was lying.
Ly...ing...?
Right. He came back to the factory late on the excuse that he 'saw' a body that was never actually there. He probably took that opportunity to steal the AD under our noses.
!!

Everyone gasped at Ukita's accusation.

N-no! I never did anything like that!
Then what were you doing for six minutes? You knew we were in a race against time, yes?

Watase instinctively fell quiet, overwhelmed by confusion.

What's wrong, Captain...? Say something... Were you... were you lying to us...?
N-no... I swear that I don't know what happened...
I see now, so you can't even trust yourself? So you're chalking all this up to your memory impairment. Very well, so be it. But you know... that is also an admission that nothing you have said up until this point can be trusted.
What...?
When we were arguing over the disappearance of the AD earlier, you were the one who scolded us. You looked confident that you weren't the culprit. But how are we supposed to trust the words of a man who hallucinated seeing a body? Isn't it possible that you hid the AD somewhere and simply forgot about it?
Th-that's impossible! No chance in hell! I'm sane!
Sane? Then that must mean you're a liar instead. You lied about finding a body, and you're probably lying about not stealing the AD too.
Ugh...

It was then that Watase realized it. Whether he was sane or not, it didn't change the fact that either way, his words were no longer trustworthy.

P-please wait... the question here is why he would ever tell such a bizarre lie like that...
Who knows? But if you think of it that way, then that makes everything about him suspicious. Like, for example-- were the memories that he claimed he 'got back' really true to begin with?
Wha...!?
You claimed you went down to the basement to rescue survivors. But perhaps that's yet another lie-- And in reality, you came down for a completely different purpose.
Wh-what different purpose...?
Isn't it obvious? To kill.
!!

Watase gasped with shock. Ukita continued.

Yes, this was not an act of terrorism, but rather a systematic murder. Take this theory for example: you wanted to kill your coworker 'Dojima' for some reason... So you decided to murder him during a dispatch to a disaster site. If he died at a site with a particularly nasty fire, his corpse would have been burned up. Then his death would have been dismissed as an accident. Once you came up with this scheme, you took this incident as the perfect opportunity to put your plan into motion.

A blue branch with Watase at 6.

...!
Hiyama barely managed to escape, but in the end he got burned to death. And if we think of it that way, then perhaps Yuuri and that girl who died by the lift... were also witnesses. Oh, and that's right, Louise-- you know, the one who runs away from you every time she sees you-- may also be a witness.
Stop already! That's all bullshit! Why the hell would I ever do any of that!?
I don't have proof that you did it. But there's also no proof that you -didn't- do it. That is something that you yourself have acknowledged repeatedly, yes?
Khh...

Watase looked around, seeking help. He looked eyes with Kazami. A troubled look rose to her face.

A blue branch with Jun at 8, Kazami at 7 and Watase at 6.

I-I don't know...
Then... do you at least know if I ever acted like I might...?
I really don't know. I don't know because you never once talked about yourself...!

Kazami looked at Watase with sad eyes.

I never talked about myself...?
No. Before you lost your memories, you were a man who put his distance between others... You never once told anyone what you were thinking, nor did you even attempt to. No one... Not even me...

Kazami said that in a pained voice. Jun then spoke up.

N-now that you mention it... I don't know anything about the Captain's private life either... I just know him on a work basis...

Watase was astonished. He'd thought that Kazami and Jun would trust him. Just as he trusted them. Yet they didn't trust not only the Watase without his memories, but even the him from -when- he had his memories.

(This isn't happening...!)

Watase's feet started shaking. Jun glared at him and spoke.

Captain... tell us the truth... Why did you really go down to the basement...? You normally would have never left a command post to begin with, so why...? Come on, tell me... Captain... did you really come here to save lives...? If you didn't... Then I swear I'll make you pay, you hear...?

Anger was slowly building in Jun's eyes. No, it wasn't as simple as anger. --It was the intent to kill. Jun glared at Watase with bloodthirsty eyes.

No, you're wr...

He wanted to say she was wrong, but he couldn't. He knew anything he said here would sound hollow. Yet he tried to say something-- but just then...

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Ena spoke up.

... What?
You guys are acting a little weird.
Huh? How so?
Indeed. I believe we have made a truly sound argument.
Nothing about this is 'sound'. Didn't Captain Kasasagi risk his life on multiple occasions to save you guys? And yet you turned your backs on him the moment the AD disappeared? What kind of sane person does that?
That has nothing to do with this. Why are -you- on the Captain's side after hearing everything we've just said? I mean, you barely know the guy, right? Unless... the two of you are in cahoots or something?
Wh-what are you talking about!?

That sudden accusation left Ena with a confused look on her face. But Ukita kept up the assault before she had time to counter.

I see, now I get it. I always did think you were acting strange...! Now I finally understand! You two are planning to just save yourselves and leave the rest of us to die! You were the ones who hid the AD, weren't you!’? All so you could have it all to yourselves!

It was then that Watase finally realized it:

(Th-this isn't good... they really are out of their minds...!)

Now that he thought about it, there were numerous factors that could be behind it. Their hours of built-up fatigue. The multiple strange happenings in this place. The feeling of entrapment from being stuck down here. The despair at not finding an exit. The fear from finding all those bodies. And then-- The loss of the AD had driven the final nail in the coffin. That one act had dramatically shortened the group's lifespan.

(It's impossible to expect anyone to re main sane in these circumstances...!)

Ukita and Jun prowled towards them. Just then, a voice echoed in Watase's head.

Watase came back to his senses and took Ena by the arm. But at that moment--

Trying to run!?
Not good! Hold them down!

Jun and Ukita sprung at them. But Watase and Ena barely managed to dodge them in time.

Agh!
Ghh!

Jun and Ukita slammed into the monitors. But they quickly turned around and glared at Watase and Ena.

Watase instinctively looked away, only for his eyes to turn to Kazami.

--

Kazami was looking towards the exit. She then gave Watase a glance as if to say ''run''.

Teach, let's get out of here!
R-right!

Watase took Ena's arm and ran out of the room.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 26, 2016

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Jun how could you? :(

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

CirclMastr posted:

Jun how could you? :(

You know, Jun could say the same about Watase. She idolizes the concept of the rescue worker as a hero only in it to save people, and the idea that Watase, the one she looked up to, her buddy in these trying times, was looking more and more guilty and his loyalty to the rescue worker job was coming into question just was too much after all the poo poo they've been through. At this point, she just needs somebody to be guilty, and well, let's just look at the options she has.

Kazami and the high school kids aren't it, and neither is Yuuri. She's deeply convinced of that. Ukita, despite being suspicious to us, talks a lot of sense (I mean, let's face it, Watase is a walking contradiction who can't say what color the sky is without there being reason to doubt it at this point) and made great progress in her quest to find the guilty party. And finally, we have Ena, who has always been suspicious and came to the aid of Watase in that cross-examination, which is just more reason to suspect Watase.

She can be a great friend, but cross her principles, and you'll loving regret it.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, I'd say the only somewhat surprising development here is Kazami staying quiet, but I guess she really might be in love with Watase after all. I figured I was overreading it but maybe not. She seems to have taken it pretty personally that Watase never used to speak about himself.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey BTW Ukita has the gun and Jun has the bullets. Sure they don't have the magazine, but they can still load a bullet directly into the chamber.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Oh my god, when I scrolled down to those faces.....

So, let me get this straight, our buddy Jun just did that, and our only ally in this is now ENA!? Goddamnit.... Now who the hell do we trust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'm guessing the whole 'filled with madness' thing is psychic interference enhancing the bait and switch pulled on Watase here. I mean, assuming the dead Yuuri clone or whatever wasn't strictly Watase's imagination.

• Locked thread