Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Paul Zuvella posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Charles.

*falls into a Proustian reverie and spends 10,000 pages describing the memes of the mid 00s in exquisite detail*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Metapod posted:

I mean I say homeristic things but I'm not a fool about how good okc is

It's the same with the Lakers.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, I don't but that even slightly. Every team is worse when their bench is on the floor, but to say that the starters are not playing a lot is completely false.

Kevin Durant 35.2
Klay Thompson 34.3
Stephen Curry 33.8
Draymond Green 33.7

Those are normal starter minutes. Yeah in the playoffs they will play more, but that's true of every team.

Looking at their on/off numbers are mostly consistent between the bench and the starters, which tells me the defensive problems are not limited to either.

I think this is the tweet I saw. Warriors do play a lot of garbage time compared to other teams so it could bring their numbers down a bit. This was over a week ago so maybe the numbers have changed.

https://twitter.com/DeanO_Lytics/status/800816905049219072

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Its 5 months until the playoffs. The Cavs already don't give a poo poo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Away all Goats posted:

The words "left hand to the elbow face" has been repeating in my head all day and I now I hate Reggie Miller

Now??!

Lockback posted:

Blazers and Thunder will both probably be in the playoffs unless you have some weird view on what the Western Conference is going to look like. They've also beat the Raptors, Celtics, Hawks and Bucks so they are doing a pretty good job against Eastern playoff teams too. The warriors are playing fine, they are a victim of unrealistic expectations, but by almost any metric they are playing better than any other NBA team right now.

Blazers looking extremely questionable in my mind. Tied with LA, their defense is an obscenity, and I could absolutely see any one of Nawlins, Sacramento, or Denver out pacing them down the stretch. If (gigantic, almost mythical if) New Orleans gets all three of Jrue, Tyreke, and Tony Davis healthy and stays that way, I'll be very surprised if they don't.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Nuggets biggest problem is that they still have no idea what their starting line-up is, or even who should start at center

The Kings are not going to the playoffs because something stupid is going happen to them just like every year for the last 2 decades

Jesus christ, the pelicans were literally the worst team record-wise at one point and now they have more wins than the timberwolves

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tae posted:

The Nuggets biggest problem is that they still have no idea what their starting line-up is, or even who should start at center

The Kings are not going to the playoffs because something stupid is going happen to them just like every year for the last 2 decades

Jesus christ, the pelicans were literally the worst team record-wise at one point and now they have more wins than the timberwolves

No team in this discussion is terribly good (maybe healthy Nawlins?), so yeah they're all as likely as not to gently caress it up. The 8th seed is almost never good. Almost.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/ComplexSports/status/804523641119657984

exciting times ahead

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Look I hate the Warriors too, as much as I've ever hated any sports team, or any organization of human beings, but let's not pretend they're actually vulnerable and the West is wide open. What flaws they have will be covered up by their preposterous array of offensive options and ability to get away with being extremely handsy/dirty on defense, especially in the playoffs when the rotations get shorter and they've got momentum/narrative. They're going to cruise to the finals, where they'll either win handily or get dad-dicked by LeBron. That part's up in the air. But the West isn't.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tae posted:

As pleased as I would be trading Rudy Gay for something of value, without him Cousins is going to need to start scoring 50 a game for us to continue to be mediocre.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I really hope the Giannis experiment leads to a wave of coaches trying out any big dude with even moderately good handles at the point.

Look out for Jon Leuer, Point Forward.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mandrel posted:

Look I hate the Warriors too, as much as I've ever hated any sports team, or any organization of human beings, but let's not pretend they're actually vulnerable and the West is wide open. What flaws they have will be covered up by their preposterous array of offensive options and ability to get away with being extremely handsy/dirty on defense, especially in the playoffs when the rotations get shorter and they've got momentum/narrative. They're going to cruise to the finals, where they'll either win handily or get dad-dicked by LeBron. That part's up in the air. But the West isn't.

I'm not sure that they have the rep to get away with that kind of defense at all. The only dude they have with a reputation as a stopper of the type that usually gets to be physical is Green, who has also gotten a rep as a dirty player who kicks and fondles wieners. Curry and Durant are regarded as soft and don't get any special defensive treatment. Klay is considered good but not in the way that say, Artest or Tony Allen were/are that lets you get away with muggings. They're actually going to be faced with more guys who get leeway on other teams, like CP3, Paul Pierce (probably too old and busted to matter), Kawhi, and potentially the entire Grizzlies team.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean poo poo, if they really feel that Saric is their forward of the future it makes sense having a lineup that can run both at the same time.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Tae posted:

Nuggets need Harris back for defense and slashing and Barton back for chaosball. Nurkic needs to get out of his slump. Malone needs to stop loving around with smallball in the 4th. Mudiay needs to stop taking his lovely little fadeaways in traffic and turning the ball over constantly. Jamal Murray, you're cool

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
When GSW's defense is bad it tends to be a combination of not trying very hard and Curry. When Curry is active on defense he ends up being a decent defender. When he's spaced out on D (which is like 50% of the time) he ends up running into a screen and their perimeter defense turns to poo poo. This is compounded by Durant being an absolute monster on D when he's focused but he also tends to space out.

Against a good high pnr team I think they can't play Curry and Zaza together. It's just like team usa when they had melo and kyrie on the floor.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The best warrior line-up involves Green at center and you're not going to see that line-up as a major minutes thing until the playoffs so like I said, the regular season feels kinda random for them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lebron James is a mensch

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/804848593089732609

I think the Rockets match, even if D-MO's back is totally shot it's still just an 18 month commitment. Honestly, Brooklyn could have offered 3 guaranteed years and almost surely gotten him, so maybe they weren't as comfortable with his health as they claimed? I hope that's not the case, I think he'll look good in D'Antoni's system.

houstonguy fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 3, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Tae posted:

The best warrior line-up involves Green at center and you're not going to see that line-up as a major minutes thing until the playoffs so like I said, the regular season feels kinda random for them.
This seems like a myth. On mobile but iirc the Warriors were much better with Bogut at center than any other combination and they just used that lineup when they had to score a ton

E: maybe this year

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 3, 2016

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Sheriff posted:

I think the Rockets match, even if D-MO's back is totally shot it's still just an 18 month commitment. Honestly, Brooklyn could have offered 3 guaranteed years and almost surely gotten him, so maybe they weren't as comfortable with his health as they claimed? I hope that's not the case, I think he'll look good in D'Antoni's system.

That contract sounds like Morey bait. Two nonguaranteed years? And it's not really that much higher than what they offered him. They should've gone with more like 2/30 guaranteed or something. I'd bet he'll match.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/Marc_DAmico/status/804859486359920640

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

gently caress you Pete D'Alessandro for destroying this. The fact that people still defend him by saying poo poo like "well he got a job in Denver so he's obviously not that bad" pisses me off more than Knightman

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the sixers need to make a trade to #FreeHezonja

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Steve Kerr's generational talent addiction confirmed

quote:

“I guess maybe I can even get in some trouble for this, but I’ve actually tried it twice during the last year and a half, when I’ve been going through this chronic pain that I’ve been dealing with.

“(After) a lot of research, a lot of advice from people and I have no idea if maybe I would have failed a drug test. I don’t even know if I’m subject to a drug test or any laws from the NBA.”

“I’m not a pot person; it doesn’t agree with me,” Kerr said. “I’ve tried it a few times, and it did not agree with me at all. So I’m not the expert on this stuff. But I do know this: If you’re an NFL player, in particular, and you’ve got a lot of pain, I don’t think there is any question that pot is better for your body than Vicodin. And yet athletes everywhere are prescribed Vicodin like it’s Vitamin C, like it’s no big deal.”

e: lmao please NBA N/V: The Warriors coach sought relief in weed

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 3, 2016

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

coaches aren't even drug tested, smdh at the league's parochial and outdated marijuana policy.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

chunkles posted:

coaches aren't even drug tested, smdh at the league's parochial and outdated marijuana policy.

League doesn't care about weed, their beer sponsors do.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The magic are 6th in defense after a rocky start. Magic got what they want when they hired Vogel, pity that the roster literally doesn't have enough decent offensive talent because the magic front office is garbage

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/willhayes_24/status/804728650402791424

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tae posted:

The magic are 6th in defense after a rocky start. Magic got what they want when they hired Vogel, pity that the roster literally doesn't have enough decent offensive talent because the magic front office is garbage

On the SI podcast they were saying that even though they don't have a lot of wins they're still outperforming their projections and should probably be even worse and looking OK is a mirage.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Brilliant.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Niwrad posted:

League doesn't care about weed, their beer sponsors do.

eh I wouldn't be surprised if there are several crusty old billionaire dudes who are anti-weed. You know Cuban and the west coast guys are probably down, but the rest of them I wouldn't be sure.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

reinsdorf getting dank and staring at forman's weird-rear end head

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Rick posted:

On the SI podcast they were saying that even though they don't have a lot of wins they're still outperforming their projections and should probably be even worse and looking OK is a mirage.
'projections' don't mean anything at this point. people that use SRS or Pythag as a predictive stat before 40 games have been played are evil

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
We need another Warriors/Clippers playoff series. The last one was some of the best/dumbest ball I can remember.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

the cavs lost 3 in a row, they should blow it uppers

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Tres Alphas coming through again.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if there's one thing you can count on it's the bulls beating the cavs in the regular season at home, i would think it's lebron doing it intentionally as psychological warfare for the playoffs, but the bulls haven't been a legit threat since 2012

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

N: The 3 Alphas are back

V:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Tae posted:

the cavs lost 3 in a row, they should blow it uppers

They've lost 3 of 4 sometime recently but I can't quite remember how that one turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

rondo with a triple double

• Locked thread