Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Madame Lich x2, Mordecai, Aurelia, Wind God, Elf Knight Cynthia, Alexander, Polyphonic Roar, Elana's Prayer, Dark Offering, and my second Timeworn Mage Levi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Zero legerndary :effort:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Zero legerndary :effort:

Same, at least I pulled an Erasmus last night

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So I was curious as to why were got these free packs. Apparently half of them are from the game reaching 6 million downloads, and the other half are to celebrate a pro Magic player on the dev team winning a tournament. Apparently he won by cheating out a 15/15 creature that gives you an extra turn, on the first turn. Congratulations Kentaro Yamamoto; I can only assume you love Dimension Shift.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
kentaro yamamoto lost in the finals of the only two headed giant pro tour they had

he and his teammate basically got aggro sworded to death:

(potato quality)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIjnecxi-P8

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Clarste posted:

So I was curious as to why were got these free packs. Apparently half of them are from the game reaching 6 million downloads, and the other half are to celebrate a pro Magic player on the dev team winning a tournament. Apparently he won by cheating out a 15/15 creature that gives you an extra turn, on the first turn. Congratulations Kentaro Yamamoto; I can only assume you love Dimension Shift.

In case anyone's curious how this actually happened: http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpchi16/finals-atsuki-kihara-miracles-vs-kentaro-yamamoto-sneak-and-show-2016-11-27

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Siding in sneak and show is some nasty business in Legacy. But that game 1 was straight up magical in how his hand went. Also people try to go too high when drafting blood? I usually work from the bottom of the curve up if I play it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Siding in sneak and show is some nasty business in Legacy. But that game 1 was straight up magical in how his hand went. Also people try to go too high when drafting blood? I usually work from the bottom of the curve up if I play it.

when drafting shadow

shadow has some really baller late drops but you have to make sure you get your early drops whenever you can since the late drops are pretty much all good.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

nftyw posted:

Madame Lich x2, Mordecai, Aurelia, Wind God, Elf Knight Cynthia, Alexander, Polyphonic Roar, Elana's Prayer, Dark Offering, and my second Timeworn Mage Levi.

I got Alchemical Lore, Altered Fate, Andras, Angelic Noble, Ardent Nun, Azazel, Barbaric Demon, Blood Rage, Bone Chimera, 2 Burial Grounds, Centaur Vanguard, Commander of Destruction, Crafty Warlock, Cruel Priestess, Crystal Bombadier, Cyclone Soldier, Dance of Death, Death Sentence, 2 Deathchaser, Demonic Thrall, Divine Birdsong, Dungeoncrawl Fairy, Elemental Lance, Elf Healer, Elf Wanderer, Elven Archery, Elven Princess Mage, Fearless Banneret, Fen Sprite, Flame Witch, 2 Forbidden Ritual, Forest Arcehlon, 2 Frenzied Juggernaut, Gaunteled Healer, 2 Geryon, Ghoul's Banquet, Giant Slayer (animated), Glimmering Wings (animated), Goetia Mage (animated), Healing Angel, 2 Heavenly Hound, Heretical Inquiry, 2 Holy Fox Grimaud, Imperial Mammoth (animated), Impious Resurrection, Kaguya, Keen Enchantment, Killer Devil, Limil's Way, Luminous Knight, Malicious Ghost, Medusa's Gaze (animated), Midnight Vampire, Monastic Holy Water, Mormo, Mushussu, Mythril Golem, Nature's Guidance, 1 Navy Lieutenant (animated), Odin (animated), Palace Fencer, Power of Protection, Queen Serpent, Rabbit Healer, Raging Ettin, Raging Giant, 3 Rampaging Giant, Remi and Rami, Witchy Duo, Rise of the Dead, Roc, Rousing Step (animated), Rune Blade Summoner, Ruthless Assassin, Shadow Witch, Shapeshifting Mage, 2 Skeleton Knight, Skull Beast, Sledgehammer Exorcist, Soul Navigator, 2 Spartoi Soldier, Spectral Wizard, Summon Bloodkin, Surefire Bullet, Swift Infiltrator, Temple Defender, Tenacious Ghost, Transmogrified Wyrm, Tsubaki, Underbrush Beast Girl, Unicorn Dancer Unica, 2 Verdant Steward (one animated), Veteran Alchemist, 2 Waltzing Fairy, Wichette Emmylou, Wild Hunt, Wildfang Dragonewt, Wind God, Yuel the Ancient so not a bad haul really but I guess some of the silvers are a bit lacklustre.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Alright boys the pack posting fun time is over

I've never regretted my choice of windows phone as much as now, between this and the hearthstone expansion I really wish I could play during downtime at work

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This game's looking even better since the new Hearthstone expansion hosed up its rarity rates and screwed over anyone who opened their packs already. I opened 19 packs and I bet Blizz gives me loving nothing.

Meanwhile Shadowverse is all "oh hey one of our guys won a Magic event, here's some packs. v:shobon:v "

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Aston posted:

I got Alchemical Lore, Altered Fate, Andras, Angelic Noble, Ardent Nun, Azazel, Barbaric Demon, Blood Rage, Bone Chimera, 2 Burial Grounds, Centaur Vanguard, Commander of Destruction, Crafty Warlock, Cruel Priestess, Crystal Bombadier, Cyclone Soldier, Dance of Death, Death Sentence, 2 Deathchaser, Demonic Thrall, Divine Birdsong, Dungeoncrawl Fairy, Elemental Lance, Elf Healer, Elf Wanderer, Elven Archery, Elven Princess Mage, Fearless Banneret, Fen Sprite, Flame Witch, 2 Forbidden Ritual, Forest Arcehlon, 2 Frenzied Juggernaut, Gaunteled Healer, 2 Geryon, Ghoul's Banquet, Giant Slayer (animated), Glimmering Wings (animated), Goetia Mage (animated), Healing Angel, 2 Heavenly Hound, Heretical Inquiry, 2 Holy Fox Grimaud, Imperial Mammoth (animated), Impious Resurrection, Kaguya, Keen Enchantment, Killer Devil, Limil's Way, Luminous Knight, Malicious Ghost, Medusa's Gaze (animated), Midnight Vampire, Monastic Holy Water, Mormo, Mushussu, Mythril Golem, Nature's Guidance, 1 Navy Lieutenant (animated), Odin (animated), Palace Fencer, Power of Protection, Queen Serpent, Rabbit Healer, Raging Ettin, Raging Giant, 3 Rampaging Giant, Remi and Rami, Witchy Duo, Rise of the Dead, Roc, Rousing Step (animated), Rune Blade Summoner, Ruthless Assassin, Shadow Witch, Shapeshifting Mage, 2 Skeleton Knight, Skull Beast, Sledgehammer Exorcist, Soul Navigator, 2 Spartoi Soldier, Spectral Wizard, Summon Bloodkin, Surefire Bullet, Swift Infiltrator, Temple Defender, Tenacious Ghost, Transmogrified Wyrm, Tsubaki, Underbrush Beast Girl, Unicorn Dancer Unica, 2 Verdant Steward (one animated), Veteran Alchemist, 2 Waltzing Fairy, Wichette Emmylou, Wild Hunt, Wildfang Dragonewt, Wind God, Yuel the Ancient so not a bad haul really but I guess some of the silvers are a bit lacklustre.

yeah same

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This game's looking even better since the new Hearthstone expansion hosed up its rarity rates and screwed over anyone who opened their packs already. I opened 19 packs and I bet Blizz gives me loving nothing.

Meanwhile Shadowverse is all "oh hey one of our guys won a Magic event, here's some packs. v:shobon:v "

I heard that they're compensating people for the packs though.

Also, I could taste the salt:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's a pretty minimal compensation. "Sorry we ruined your packs. Here's a third as many ones that actually work."

I'll be getting just as many Hearthstone packs for them loving up 19 of them as I got in Shadowverse for something I had nothing to do with.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's a pretty minimal compensation. "Sorry we ruined your packs. Here's a third as many ones that actually work."

I'll be getting just as many Hearthstone packs for them loving up 19 of them as I got in Shadowverse for something I had nothing to do with.

How the gently caress do you ruin packs? The algorithm for choosing random cards of certain rarity is piss-easy to code, test, and audit. Lol, more like they got caught being assholes. Never mind, just read about the issue and they're just incompetent.

Edit: I just watched some opening videos and, holy poo poo! people were getting their legendary every 40 packs almost like clockwork. Without that pity timer they'll be screwed.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 2, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

when i started this game i was kind of choosing between it and hearthstone (somehow i had never tried it before). i watched a couple "500 pack opening" type videos for hs and the legendary drop rate being so abysmal was a big turnoff, especially coupled with how generous cygames is with packs.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Nobody uses a third Merlin, right? I got one in one of my packs today.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! posted:

when i started this game i was kind of choosing between it and hearthstone (somehow i had never tried it before). i watched a couple "500 pack opening" type videos for hs and the legendary drop rate being so abysmal was a big turnoff, especially coupled with how generous cygames is with packs.

It's a different approach. Shadowverse gives a lot of free packs but crystals are expensive (twice as expensive as heartstone packs) because their business plan is aimed at getting pretty much all their money from whales and impatient people, like pretty much all JP phone games do. On the other hand heartstone more or less forces active players to pay a little for adventures and so on every few months and is miserly about free gold.

Pretty sure as soon as the new expansion is released the JP whales will drop a few thousands each looking for animated legendaries.

E: Oh, gently caress take2 and lucky dragon players. How are you supposed to beat a dragon dude with 3 Siegfrieds who goes second? Like, wtf?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 2, 2016

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Nobody uses a third Merlin, right? I got one in one of my packs today.

I've seen either 3 Time Mage Levis/2 Merlins or 2 Time Mage Levis/3 Merlins. Never 3 of each though.

I've been playing lots of dirtrune but the card pack god is telling me to quit, since I've got 2 Merlins and one dimension shift in 4 days.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Played a weird-rear end match against a dragon player who filled his deck solely with neutrals. It took a while since I got bad draws too, but got to see flame and glass combine, Olivia, Lucifer, and Gabriel.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

trucutru posted:

It's a different approach. Shadowverse gives a lot of free packs but crystals are expensive (twice as expensive as heartstone packs) (...)

Packs being 8 cards instead of 5 more than offset that value difference though. (Especially when factoring in all the extra packs.)

That said I will never open a pack with crystals outside of daily deal, or use something other than tickets/rupies for arena entry.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sophism posted:

Packs being 8 cards instead of 5 more than offset that value difference though. (Especially when factoring in all the extra packs.)

That said I will never open a pack with crystals outside of daily deal, or use something other than tickets/rupies for arena entry.

Again, the approach is different. 8 cards instead of 5 is nice but then you could argue that running 3 copies of a card instead of 2 in your (larger) deck balance this out. The point is that Shadowverse tries to make pretty much all its money from a very small group of whales, like all JP waifu games, and offers all the free poo poo in hopes of getting more whales to wander in.

Heartstone OTOH doesn't really want you around unless you drop some twenty bucks every 4 months or so.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

add me people

i want to get my butt kicked!!!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Figured I'd play some of this, the emulator in the first post was erroring on me when I tried to install, but I'm not a huge fan of tons of rerolling anyways. Pulled Cerberus, Gabriel, Alexander, Enshrined Seraph, Bloody Mary, Lord of the Flies x2, Zirnitra, and a Fafnir. Seems not terrible from what I can tell?

The solo story was decent, though maybe I should have opened cards before I played through it. Mostly ok, though some of the blood and haven fights were annoying. Basically if I got a crappy draw+mulligan it was a straight loss, then other fights I'd have a terrible draw and still stomp them. Runecraft in particular was pretty easy sailing most of the time (think I had 2 times of "no spells ever" that were crap), mostly because I could remove poo poo off the board without using evolves.

Overall decently fun, I'll probably check out some arena stuff and make a terrible deck and muck around.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

Figured I'd play some of this, the emulator in the first post was erroring on me when I tried to install, but I'm not a huge fan of tons of rerolling anyways. Pulled Cerberus, Gabriel, Alexander, Enshrined Seraph, Bloody Mary, Lord of the Flies x2, Zirnitra, and a Fafnir. Seems not terrible from what I can tell?

The solo story was decent, though maybe I should have opened cards before I played through it. Mostly ok, though some of the blood and haven fights were annoying. Basically if I got a crappy draw+mulligan it was a straight loss, then other fights I'd have a terrible draw and still stomp them. Runecraft in particular was pretty easy sailing most of the time (think I had 2 times of "no spells ever" that were crap), mostly because I could remove poo poo off the board without using evolves.

Overall decently fun, I'll probably check out some arena stuff and make a terrible deck and muck around.

Not a bad roll at all. You have a pretty good skeleton for Midrange Shadow with Cerberus, Gabriel and Lord of the Flies.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea I was thinking something shadow or dragon, and from playing through solo I liked shadow a bit more. Dragon felt like I had to hit the right ramp on draw or I'd just fail to do anything, and shadow seems to have some more removal options which is nice.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

the best dragon deck doesn't ramp at all! but absolutely requires 3x forte and a pile of golds, making for a pretty expensive deck if you're brand new.

drat, I haven't played magic in a decade, but this is amazing. I had no idea legacy saw serious play.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

trucutru posted:

Again, the approach is different. 8 cards instead of 5 is nice but then you could argue that running 3 copies of a card instead of 2 in your (larger) deck balance this out. The point is that Shadowverse tries to make pretty much all its money from a very small group of whales, like all JP waifu games, and offers all the free poo poo in hopes of getting more whales to wander in.

Heartstone OTOH doesn't really want you around unless you drop some twenty bucks every 4 months or so.
Yeah Shadowverse both gives you about twice as many daily rupees on average AND those rupees are about twice as valuable in terms of how many cards you get and their rarities. Each dollar spent on HS speeds you along about 4x faster than f2p speed in terms of collection progression than each dollar spent on Shadowverse (outside of the daily deal) assuming that you're just doing your quests in both, because normal f2p in Hearthstone is unbelievably slow

That said doing all your quests in SV takes a lot more commitment because you can't queue quests from different days.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 2, 2016

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
The new big card from the expansion is Bahamut, a 10 pp 13/13 follower that nukes everything on the board. Cannot attack face if there's two or more enemy followers on board.

Isn't there a Hearthstone card that does the exact same thing?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Lord Ephraim posted:

The new big card from the expansion is Bahamut, a 10 pp 13/13 follower that nukes everything on the board. Cannot attack face if there's two or more enemy followers on board.

Isn't there a Hearthstone card that does the exact same thing?

Deathwing is a 10 mana 12/12 that discards your hand and destroys the board.

It's a slightly different approach though, as it's both bigger (Relevant considering the lower health total.) and the way he destroys all amulets has beneficial implications if you're playing Haven. The attack limitation is also a clever way of allowing the opponent to actually stall if they have a couple of minions in hand.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I can't believe a giant dragon is a Neutral card. Seems rude somehow.

Also new keyword: Clash. Effect occurs whenever the follower attacks another follower or is attacked by a follower. Example is "Thief" 3 pp 2/2 with Clash: draw a card. Release date is December 29th.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
took a break from spamming Tia's to do some sword quests in ranked

midrange sword status: still the best sword list

I think my next craft target is going to be the two Otohime and two Aurelia I'm missing.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 2, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Er... I should probably have mentioned that they've been announcing new cards on twitter.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Clarste posted:

Er... I should probably have mentioned that they've been announcing new cards on twitter.

Confrimed: The Crystalias are a family of assholes

Whoops, your bahamut is a snowman and I am back in the player's hand.

e: Also, Phoenix Roost on 5 -> Bahamut on 6 seems pretty convenient.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 2, 2016

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
https://twitter.com/deresute_eng/status/804665387157581825
https://twitter.com/deresute_eng/status/804665658537410560

I'm too hype it's not even funny

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh my god, I just got the worst Take Two rolls I've ever seen. I run sword decks exclusively in comp and not a single card I was able to choose from was in any of my sword decks

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yeah thats the way in take 2, sometimes you roll 3 floral fencers and nice legendaries for an easy 5-0, sometimes you get all the cards you would never ever want and struggle

and sometimes you run into a literal constructed elana deck that finishes with seraph and break your keyboard in half

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, why are people so salty in this game? I am not even playing a good deck or ranked yet people disconnect all the time to the simple aggro blood I'm using to do quests fast. Well, I am sorry your ramp dragon (who only has Aiela as a mon that costs less than 6pp) lost to a bunch a silly 2-point wolves and poo poo .

"Take that! Waste 90 seconds (posting at SA)"

Indecisive posted:

Yeah thats the way in take 2, sometimes you roll 3 floral fencers and nice legendaries for an easy 5-0, sometimes you get all the cards you would never ever want and struggle

and sometimes you run into a literal constructed elana deck that finishes with seraph and break your keyboard in half

And sometimes you get a super-deck but go first all five times.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 3, 2016

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My take 2 record so far:

first time: 1-4 forestcraft
second time: 0-5 runecraft (retired after first game realizing I'd drafted mostly earth sigils)
third time: 5-0 swordcraft featuring Tsubaki, Wind God, and ambush cheese

This included facing dark angel olivia twice. The real unfair part of swordcraft is that avant blader thing imo.

Also why is Mentor's teachings not used in constructed? Seems like a great card. Does swordcraft have card draw that's even more efficient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

My take 2 record so far:

first time: 1-4 forestcraft
second time: 0-5 runecraft (retired after first game realizing I'd drafted mostly earth sigils)
third time: 5-0 swordcraft featuring Tsubaki

This included two dark angel olivias and going first against one of them. The real unfair part of swordcraft is that avant blader thing imo.

Avant blader is good but it is nothing compared to the Floral Fencer and OTOHIME SAMA I WILL DESTROY THEIR EARDRUMS!

Of course, if the game last long then Avant blader shines as a topdeck while the floral becomes just a 3/4. Otohime stays ridiculously strong.

No Wave posted:

Also why is Mentor's teachings not used in constructed? Seems like a great card. Does swordcraft have card draw that's even more efficient?

Because, even if it replaces itself, banner sword will probably prefer to drop yet another body right now, aggro has commanders that pump one card and also drop into the field, and mid/control have much better value.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 3, 2016

• Locked thread