Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Android Blues posted:

The gameplay trailer sadly looked kinda mediocre. I'd really dig a game that was just DAI: Spacesuit Edition, but the dialogue scene they chose to showcase being so weak makes me dubious. Like, even apart from the animation issues, the text of that short interaction is just so thin and uninteresting. Why show it in your first big gameplay trailer, unless you either think it's good or don't have anything better? Inquisition by comparison had a lot of great conversation scenes and picked some genuinely good ones for its pre-release material.

Yes, this is my feeling. This was supposed to be the best parts of the game and it seemed very thin and uninteresting. The Vanguard Charge really lacked oomph, too.

I dunno, 4 years as this is what they've got to sell it? Not really doing it for me. Hope it lands for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lt. Danger posted:

Cheap narrative device: a vagrant girl with critical evidence against a rogue government agent is conscripted into an elite spec-ops task force instead of being put into protective custody

Cheap narrative device: all physical evidence corroborating the hero's theory about killer robot gods is coincidentally destroyed, nuked or rendered unusable shortly after the hero finds it

Cheap narrative device: the villain has the hero at their mercy and chooses to dangle them over a ledge for several seconds instead of throwing them off or using his superior strength to snap their neck

Cheap narrative device: in the climactic battle, the hero is apparently killed by collapsing debris. the hero waits until it seems their friends have given up all hope of their survival before clambering over the rubble with little difficulty and posing for dramatic effect

Cheap narrative device: the hero decides who will become humanity's representative to the galactic government and one of the most powerful people in history. this representative can potentially be a mid-ranking military officer with no diplomatic or political experience

[In the SECRET CERBERUS BASE base as a MASSIVE FLEET BATTLE rages outside]

SHEPARD: Sometimes I wonder if I'm still me, if I'm not some kind of VI who thinks I'm me.

CONVENIENTLY PLACED CHEAP NARRATIVE DEVICE: You're still you, Shepard, and are not a VI that thinks you're you.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 3, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Dark Energy is the same plot as gurren lagann but with 100% less giant robots throwing galaxies at each other

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Anime is bad

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Has anyone mentioned the ex-Alliance soldier sounding like a whiny ten year-old yet?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Milky Moor posted:

[In the SECRET CERBERUS BASE base as a MASSIVE FLEET BATTLE rages outside]

SHEPARD: Sometimes I wonder if I'm still me, if I'm not some kind of VI who thinks I'm me.

CONVENIENTLY PLACED CHEAP NARRATIVE DEVICE: You're still you, Shepard, and are not a VI that thinks you're you.

Cheap "narrative" device: the ship's female artificial intelligence gains the use of a remotely-controlled synthetic body. said body has massive bazongas

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Lt. Danger posted:

Cheap "narrative" device: the ship's female artificial intelligence gains the use of a remotely-controlled synthetic body. said body has massive bazongas

This was extremely bad and I was not a fan.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The fact that they went out of their way to give her camel toe is insane to me.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

It is extremely thematically important that EDI can be considered "fuckable"

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Watched the gameplay trailer.

Why the gently caress is there crafting and resource harvesting? That poo poo has never, ever been fun outside of the genres that specifically cater to it like Minecraft.

Also, girl Ryder looks and sounds like she's 14 years old.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Nazzadan posted:

The fact that they went out of their way to give her camel toe is insane to me.

This was the only redeeming part. Go big or go home.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

JOKER: :eyepop:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cythereal posted:

Watched the gameplay trailer.

Why the gently caress is there crafting and resource harvesting? That poo poo has never, ever been fun outside of the genres that specifically cater to it like Minecraft.

Also, girl Ryder looks and sounds like she's 14 years old.

On the other hand, crafting is fun. In all games. Every game.

Crafting in Mario. Crafting in Pac Man. Crafting in Pong. FUN!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Crafting sucks rear end

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Can you imagine if they had spent all these resources on building giant Reaper-killing ships?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alain Post posted:

Crafting sucks rear end

This. I like crafting in the right genre - I enjoy the crafting in Subnautica for a recent example - but in this game, please just let me find/buy the armor and guns.

I really hope DAI/Skyrim isn't influencing MEA as much as it looks like it is. I love the idea of exploring new worlds and making that a key part of gameplay. Stopping every ten feet to harvest iron silverite lithium, not so much.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe the crafting is how you unlock new weapons and armor to use like in ME2 and ME3 rather than creating the same model of a weapon/armor in different colors and stats, like in Inquisition, or finding the same model of weapon with different colors and stats in crates like in ME1.

edit:

Like, in ME2 and ME3 you found the M-97 Viper laying on the floor, and when you picked it up you unlocked it for the who squad to equip it. And it had its own unique stats that differentiated it to other sniper rifles.

In ME1, you found sniper rifles with the same model as what would become the M-97 Viper with different stats and colors.

I hope in MEA crafting replaces the unlock system in ME2 and ME3 since it transitioned from corridor shooter to open world.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 3, 2016

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

CharlestonJew posted:

Dark Energy is the same plot as gurren lagann but with 100% less giant robots throwing galaxies at each other

Who the hell do you think I am?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Trast posted:

Hey Moola what was your go to class for multiplayer. I usually ran with a N7 Demolisher or N7 Sentinel. The Vorcha with the flamethrower was crazy fun too.

oh man i'm not sure I could pick one; part of why I loved it was because of sheer variety in classes

probably Drell Adept, N7 Sentinel and Batarian Soldier were my goto high difficulty classes

but I loved pretty much all the others too!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Alain Post posted:

Crafting sucks rear end

Alain Post posted:

Crafting sucks rear end

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cythereal posted:

This. I like crafting in the right genre - I enjoy the crafting in Subnautica for a recent example - but in this game, please just let me find/buy the armor and guns.

I really hope DAI/Skyrim isn't influencing MEA as much as it looks like it is. I love the idea of exploring new worlds and making that a key part of gameplay. Stopping every ten feet to harvest iron silverite lithium, not so much.

Walters said on twitter that you don't need to do the crafting to have competitive gear, so no need to strip mine whole solar systems of their platinum to make your shotguns 10% better.

To be fair, though, he never said you didn't have to do any harvesting. It's possible you still need to collect lithium to sell for the money to get good guns.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Android Blues posted:

The gameplay trailer sadly looked kinda mediocre. I'd really dig a game that was just DAI: Spacesuit Edition, but the dialogue scene they chose to showcase being so weak makes me dubious. Like, even apart from the animation issues, the text of that short interaction is just so thin and uninteresting. Why show it in your first big gameplay trailer, unless you either think it's good or don't have anything better? Inquisition by comparison had a lot of great conversation scenes and picked some genuinely good ones for its pre-release material.

Everything about Andromeda has demonstrated that its creators have no confidence in its existing assets and nothing interesting to say with the new ones they're building.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Personally, it's not the crafting that brings things down, at least for me. It's the gathering. Let me take generic moneys and turn out custom gear to my hearts content instead of worrying about finding enough kroganberries for my medigel.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Moola posted:

oh man i'm not sure I could pick one; part of why I loved it was because of sheer variety in classes

probably Drell Adept, N7 Sentinel and Batarian Soldier were my goto high difficulty classes

but I loved pretty much all the others too!

You were the drell stealing all the grenades!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Trast posted:

You were the drell stealing all the grenades!

loving hell yeah i was! I need those to make bass explosions to fuel my dubstep destruction!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I could have sworn you could buy the materials too, no gathering if you don't want to.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Moola posted:

loving hell yeah i was! I need those to make bass explosions to fuel my dubstep destruction!

the sound for biotic grenades owned hard

cool sounds in Mass Effect:

biotic grenades
the Revenant going from fast to slow motion and then spooling back up to fast when you trigger adrenaline rush
the Claymore firing
Normandy SR-2 war room ambience where they layer in "vigil" really subtly
the melee sound from a Batarian war gauntlet

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
don't forget the Geth minigun

beeeeeoooooooooooraaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
A whole lot of the weapons had great sound and for lack of a better word personalty.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Trast posted:

A whole lot of the weapons had great sound and for lack of a better word personalty.

heck yes

load up with the Saber and every shot feels like a railgun because of the sound. it's the best

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Geth Prime cannon

beDEW beDEW beDEW!

Banshee scream

cryo explosion

yeah me3 mp has amazing sound design

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pattonesque posted:

heck yes

load up with the Saber and every shot feels like a railgun because of the sound. it's the best

The accelerating rhythm of a Striker on rock-and-roll is a thing of beauty.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Mass Effect: a promising multiplayer franchise

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Mass Effect: a promising multiplayer franchise

p much yeah

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Charge and Carnage, the two most satisfying skills in the franchise, only brought together in multiplayer DLC for one race/class combo only

A real miss there

Serf
May 5, 2011

If they can recreate the insane amount of fun that I had with the ME3 multiplayer this game is worth every penny.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Serf posted:

If they can recreate the insane amount of fun that I had with the ME3 multiplayer this game is worth every penny.

I hope they have missions that are more moving through a map and less staying in one area, that would be cool

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know it only exists due to cereal eating dipshit kai leng bad novel character but the n7 slayer was fun as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is, in fairness a really low bar, but Kai Leng is at least does a better job as the mid-boss than Benezia.