Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Same. I couldn't resist locking in the $35/mo for 100 channel price. The DVR is not really an issue since I've never used it. If it's a valuable service you may want to wait. I already had an Apple TV, but I figure my parents could use one since my dad has been bitching about the cable TV in his area and wants to know about the different streaming services.

Unfortunately, I can't find the link the Apple TV version.

Currently using the FireTV version and it's pretty good. I like the Guide the best of the three. Picture quality is on par with PS Vue on the FireTV (and both blow away Sling on the FireTV).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Signed up, locked in with the Fire stick which I will give to the MIL. At work though, guessing the app hasn't dropped for iOS and android?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

flosofl posted:

Unfortunately, I can't find the link the Apple TV version.

It's a 32GB 4th gen.

Vintimus Prime posted:

Signed up, locked in with the Fire stick which I will give to the MIL. At work though, guessing the app hasn't dropped for iOS and android?

Installed the app on my Moto G just now https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.att.tv&hl=en

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teagone posted:

It's a 32GB 4th gen.

Sorry, I meant I can't find the Apple TV app on the App Store.

Looks like the iOS and tvOS versions aren't searchable yet. Same thing happened when PS Vue dropped. You had to use a direct link to the store page to get it for the 1st day.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 30, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ahh. Guess it hasn't dropped on the official Apple app channels yet then.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

teagone posted:

It's a 32GB 4th gen.

Installed the app on my Moto G just now https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.att.tv&hl=en

Yup got it on my Android device. Now just waiting to see it in the Apple App Store

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DirecTV NOW iOS link https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/directv-now/id1136238277

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

👍🏾

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You'll also use that to get the tvOS version if you still can't find in the AppleTV App Store. Download it to iPhone/iPad and then go into the App Store on the AppleTV and it will be listed under "Purchased".

It's the best UI of the three on AppleTV.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mattfl posted:

Those of you thinking of switching from your normal directv subscription to a directvnow sub, I just confirmed with a directv rep the early termination fee will still apply. Just moved in a new house 6 months ago and signed up for directv then, my early term fee would be $350!

Call and threaten to cancel for DirecTVNow, they ended up giving me DirecTv Xtra package for $42 a month.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would be nice if they had a regular DirecTV app also

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I got out of ETF fees by moving to a state that had state law allowing you to cancel if the company raised prices without letting them charge you an ETF fee.

So just have your poo poo "moved" to Wisconsin right before the yearly rate increases and cancel freely.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It sounds the various Netflix apps now have a download option for some of their content.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Signed up for DTVNow at the discounted $35 lock in... So far works pretty good (tested on a FTV stick I had at work) doesn't seem like there are any local channels where I live though. Didn't count the channels in the guide, but I don't think it's 100+ as indicated.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

thebushcommander posted:

Signed up for DTVNow at the discounted $35 lock in... So far works pretty good (tested on a FTV stick I had at work) doesn't seem like there are any local channels where I live though. Didn't count the channels in the guide, but I don't think it's 100+ as indicated.

I don't get locals either and not even an east or west coast live feed available for ABC, NBC, or Fox which is disappointing. They do have some on demand stuff available for those channels but they are a few weeks behind the current seasons. HBO is the same, Westwood for example only has episodes 1, 2, 3, and 6.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

wandler20 posted:

I don't get locals either and not even an east or west coast live feed available for ABC, NBC, or Fox which is disappointing. They do have some on demand stuff available for those channels but they are a few weeks behind the current seasons. HBO is the same, Westwood for example only has episodes 1, 2, 3, and 6.

Yeah, while I understand why it's not there it would be cool to just have a generic east coast ABC/NBC feed simply for the shows. I could give a poo poo about local news content which is the only other thing on those channels anyway. FOX I do have though so at the very least I can watch live Panthers games through it still 85% of the time anyway. I don't actually watch tv live anyway, mostly have cable now because of the kids...thankfully this has all the channels they watch...but I have a feeling their are going to struggle navigating it since it's not just "enter channel number and wait" like cable is. That said $40 for all this stuff + HBO is a pretty solid deal and it'll save me $80 dollars a month which is cool.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

thebushcommander posted:

Yeah, while I understand why it's not there it would be cool to just have a generic east coast ABC/NBC feed simply for the shows. I could give a poo poo about local news content which is the only other thing on those channels anyway.

Because affiliates would all start dumping their networks and show nothing but syndicated content, the networks would have no OTA presence, and the networks would be diminished to having to compete with HGTV while having to actually program 24 hours a day. I know we all like to pretend the "TV = subscriptions to shows I watch" but the broadcast TV business is still very much a thing, and they're not going to dismantle it for the sake of Cable With Buffering.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ok so I'm still talking the wife into it because I'm a dork. I have a fire and a roku. Why would I want an Apple TV? I want it just because I love nerding out over poo poo but need to convince her. Any advantages? Better interface? Can you put Kodi on it?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Looks like you can do Kodi on it via this link http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-sideload-install-kodi-on-apple-tv-4/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Croatoan posted:

Ok so I'm still talking the wife into it because I'm a dork. I have a fire and a roku. Why would I want an Apple TV? I want it just because I love nerding out over poo poo but need to convince her. Any advantages? Better interface? Can you put Kodi on it?

I can't speak to Kodi or Roku, but I can verify DTV Now is faster and has a better picture on the AppleTV compared to 1st gen FireTV. I've heard it's pretty fast on the 2nd gen FireTV, but I don't have one to test.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Croatoan posted:

It doesn't have an Roku app so that is one reason why to get an Apple TV if you have more than one TV.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The only major service the Apple TV is missing is Amazon, correct?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There's obvious integration advantages if you have other Apple products and/or have a computer with an iTunes library.
There's supposedly a single sign on thing for all the channel apps coming "soon".
Siri gives you some basic voice control, which going by history will probably be expanded sometime but never as good as people hope.
It looks like Apple is going to use the ATV as the "hub" for HomeKit smart devices, so there's that potential if it tickles you.
And for info, it's not Kodi but the ATV has a Plex app available.

And yeah, burrito, no Amazon video. You can fudge it with AirPlay if you have another iDevice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

The only major service the Apple TV is missing is Amazon, correct?

As far as I know.

I actually use AirPlay from my phone for Amazon Video.

I have a FireTV, but I hate the UI with an unholy fire. You used to be able to change the home screen, but since that gets in the way of Amazon advertising they nuke that poo poo from orbit now.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

There's obvious integration advantages if you have other Apple products and/or have a computer with an iTunes library.
There's supposedly a single sign on thing for all the channel apps coming "soon".
Siri gives you some basic voice control, which going by history will probably be expanded sometime but never as good as people hope.
It looks like Apple is going to use the ATV as the "hub" for HomeKit smart devices, so there's that potential if it tickles you.
And for info, it's not Kodi but the ATV has a Plex app available.

And yeah, burrito, no Amazon video. You can fudge it with AirPlay if you have another iDevice.

Thanks man. I'm probably not gonna then. It'd be fun to putz around with but nothing to go crazy over. There's nothing I can't do with my fire or roku.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
USA Today review: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2016/11/30/ts-new-streaming-service-more-later-than-now/94631026/

quote:

DirecTV Now is more about later than now.

The streaming service that AT&T releases on Wednesday has been promised for months, but it arrives with several shortcomings that give me pause, even with an enticing monthly come-on price of $35 for 100 channels that AT&T says will last as long as you remain a customer. A top-tier plan with more than 120 channels costs $70 monthly. There is no annual contract and you don't need a satellite dish.

DirecTV Now is taking baby steps. You’ll have to wait until next year for DVR-functionality. There’s no 4K video or 5:1 surround sound audio. CBS and Showtime are among the key missing content providers — negotiations are said to be underway. The NFL Sunday Ticket offering that has long been a draw for DirecTV satellite subscribers is also not available. Nor is the popular NFL RedZone channel.

What’s more, while you can watch your local Fox, ABC and NBC channels in select markets, the ability to watch NBC local is for now limited to phones, tablets or computers.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I really wish PS Vue would add back the Viacom channels.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah that really sucks. I want Comedy Central. They also don't have History (for Vikings).

I could watch them later on Hulu/their own sites but I still like watching a lot of shows live.

Also while I like having the better DVR on the PS4 version I hate using the controller or the PS4 remote.

Otherwise it would be my top choice.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
How long is this $35 a month thing running, anyone know? They're not surprisingly being dodgy about the deadline on the site, presumably to light a fire under people's asses, but I don't want to jump in while my Sling sub is still running to the 22nd if I can wait, especially when I'm sorta stuck waiting for their Roku app and will probably just gift the Apple TV to my sister.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
No one knows but I would hazard a guess not less than 30 days and not more than 90.

One probable reason they are being cagey is they want to see how many people actually go for it, and then out of that how many stick with it after the first 30 days. If they get a huge flood of new subs, especially people picking up the pre-paid deals for the "free" devices, then they will probably end it sooner. If it's slow going they'll probably extend it. That's something they'll keep internal though.

You are probably safe waiting until the 22nd.

I am trying the trial on my 1st Gen Fire TV now (I also have regular DTV). From a tech experience it's pretty drat solid, and the UI/Guide are better than Vue and Sling, or at least more familiar. They did a good job with this. If/when cloud DVR rolls out and it's not completely hamstrung by restrictions (which it probably will be) this could be a serious contender. Might even drop regular DTV for it.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Is there a link for the Apple TV for DirecTV now?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You mean the actual box or a link to the offer? The former is http://www.apple.com/tv/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thisdude23 posted:

Is there a link for the Apple TV for DirecTV now?

Do you mean in the tvOS App Store? It should be the number one link under entertainment, but I'm pretty sure it's on the main page now.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
When I got into my ATV, it was right dead center in a HUGE drat banner after clicking into the App Store, could not miss it.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Sorry folks, what I was trying to ask was if there is a link to pay for 3 months in advance for DirecTV Now to get the free Apple TV or will that option appear when I go through and set up a profile for DirecTV Now if my wife and I decide to get this? Thank you again.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

thisdude23 posted:

Sorry folks, what I was trying to ask was if there is a link to pay for 3 months in advance for DirecTV Now to get the free Apple TV or will that option appear when I go through and set up a profile for DirecTV Now if my wife and I decide to get this? Thank you again.

Yes, like the second or third page you get to after hitting create new account is what plan you want and what device you want.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah it'll give you the option when you sign up, and they say that the 7 day trial period (even though you are pre-paying) won't start until you get your device.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

mattfl posted:

Yes, like the second or third page you get to after hitting create new account is what plan you want and what device you want.

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah it'll give you the option when you sign up, and they say that the 7 day trial period (even though you are pre-paying) won't start until you get your device.

Sweet, thank you.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Local channel availability on DTVNow

Blackchamber posted:

It has nothing to do with getting your device.

They charge you the 3 months as soon as you sign up. But you still get your free trial. They just add it to the END of your pre-pay period.

It goes [3 months paid on day one] -> [7 days free] -> [1st monthly payment] -> [recurring monthly payments until you cancel]

Zero One fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Got the $35 promo and free Apple TV (in store). drat if this service isn't pretty incredible so far. As a cord cutter I'm very happy with it.