Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Man, that Link figure is pretty cute.

Also, while I'm posting pictures in case anyone gives a poo poo, here's my collection of amiibo:

And I don't know if these pics have ever made it into the thread proper, but here comes photos of what my wife has dubbed "Nerd Boner":

Note: all systems pictured (except for the Vectrex) are connected to the TV through switches (composite or S-Video) or straight to the TV via RF in the case of the 2600 and 5200. The TV then downsamples(upsamples for RF) to a Composite Out that goes to an EasyCAP which allows me to stream. A total of 14 systems hooked up simultaneously!

Recent arrival:

And dogs chilling on Nintendo throw pillows:

(That's a question block Timothy's laying on)

Post edited; appended 'h' to Imgur links to save on loading.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you append "h" to the imgur filename, you can post that directly without timg'ing it, and it doesn't force everybody to download 5MB images to their phones. Awful.apk, even on high end phones, tends to crash or not render a post with a lot of timgs. The "h" version is usually like 100k versus the 5-6m your images are. Here, let me help you.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Man, that Link figure is pretty cute.

Also, while I'm posting pictures in case anyone gives a poo poo, here's my collection of amiibo:

And I don't know if these pics have ever made it into the thread proper, but here comes photos of what my wife has dubbed "Nerd Boner":

Note: all systems pictured (except for the Vectrex) are connected to the TV through switches (composite or S-Video) or straight to the TV via RF in the case of the 2600 and 5200. The TV then downsamples(upsamples for RF) to a Composite Out that goes to an EasyCAP which allows me to stream. A total of 14 systems hooked up simultaneously!

Recent arrival:

(That's a question block Timothy's laying on)

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Sorry about that; I am posting from the Awful app itself, which does the automatic uploading, etc.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's cool, just looking out for the android plebs like myself

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Picked up the 8-bit Link amiibo today as well. I now have this, the two Mario pixelated variants, and all of the World of Nintendo 2.5" pixelated figs and variants. I really wish they made more of the WON ones, because they haven't had a new pixelated one in last 2-3 series.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Those are some good dugs

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I wish I could post my console setup but my collection has grown to the point that more than half of it stays in storage because it doesn't fit anymore :saddowns:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I wish I had a good place to display my Virtual Boy without worry about a cat knocking it over

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's cool, just looking out for the android plebs like myself

I feel it. Say, did you ever feel inclined to re-try the "bake" method on your VBs? Or are they completely dead at this point? I thought I had killed one of my lasers during the process, but it turned out that the ribbon got separated from the PCB before I could wrap it in tape, so I just had to try again.

I also learned that, while you want to do both eyes of the Virtual Boy, you should probably do them one-at-a-time so you're not splitting your energies trying to get them both sorted at once.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Code Jockey posted:

For now I'm just using a wired 360 controller, and it picked that up with no problems at all - plugged it in, held a button for a while, and then it had me map it. It works fine with the start+select combo.

I'll try my SFC30 when I get home, how odd. I did have to plug in a USB keyboard to hit escape when I was configuring audio mixer options, that was dumb.

If you get a chance to try it, and it works, could you share the config file? I've got a NES30, and an SFC30 that can't exit games. :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I found a great new way to play Crazy Taxi. Apparently I've got a disk that got scuffed just right so that it loads, fires up the game, and then on the first map transition load (usually the bottom of the cable car hill) it stops loading textures for the city. That makes all the terrain invisible but traffic and passengers still appear fine. Since everyone knows the layout of the Crazy Taxi map, it adds an extra layer of challenge.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I feel it. Say, did you ever feel inclined to re-try the "bake" method on your VBs? Or are they completely dead at this point? I thought I had killed one of my lasers during the process, but it turned out that the ribbon got separated from the PCB before I could wrap it in tape, so I just had to try again.

I also learned that, while you want to do both eyes of the Virtual Boy, you should probably do them one-at-a-time so you're not splitting your energies trying to get them both sorted at once.

Heh, went to do it last weekend, couldn't find my special screwdriver.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

I found a great new way to play Crazy Taxi. Apparently I've got a disk that got scuffed just right so that it loads, fires up the game, and then on the first map transition load (usually the bottom of the cable car hill) it stops loading textures for the city. That makes all the terrain invisible but traffic and passengers still appear fine. Since everyone knows the layout of the Crazy Taxi map, it adds an extra layer of challenge.

But does the sickass Offspring soundtrack still play properly? :ohdear:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mogomra posted:

If you get a chance to try it, and it works, could you share the config file? I've got a NES30, and an SFC30 that can't exit games. :(

Bah, got busy and totally neglected this, sorry, but just did it following this guide: https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Setting-up-an-8bitdo-Bluetooth-controller

Fired up Axelay, hit start+select and it exited as expected, no need to configure beyond the initial mapping of the controller.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Don't bother with the baking method for the Virtual Boy. The display glitch will eventually just come back (mine did numerous times and I got fed up). Does not matter how much tape you use to push it down.

I paid someone in the Virtual Boy forums to permanently solder my LEDs. I mailed him 4 of them (yes, I have two Virtual Boy consoles) and he permanently fixed them. His email address is runnerpack@gmail.com but I had it done 2 years ago so I don't know if he still does it. But I highly recommend getting it done. As decent as I am with a soldering iron, you almost need to be a surgeon to be able to do a Virtual Boy LED. It's like 20 tiny points that are right next to each other.

I really don't understand why Nintendo got so lazy and used glue. Isn't that why so many of the original Game Boys had display issues? What the hell

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Does anyone have any experience using a pico projector in the 240-480p native resolution range? I was considering picking one up to try on some consoles and a retropie box.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But does the sickass Offspring soundtrack still play properly? :ohdear:

Sadly, no. It gets all studdery when the glitch kicks in.

I'm trying to capture some blind Crazy Taxi and I'm having no luck. Once I moved my console to the capture setup I must have bumped the Dreamcast just right that the laser can read the disk fine. This must be the first time that someone has wanted a disk read error on a Dreamcast and not been able to get it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

So what exactly is happening when I use my framemeister on my 1080p TV? It's not giving me a perfect image? Or is it adding black borders that I don't notice or something? Would changing it to 720p make it look better? I know with scanlines it does but I don't use them.

It's averaging your image a bit, since 240p has to be multiplied 4.5 times to fill up 1080p vertically, and the NES's horizontal resolution wasn't really meant for square pixels to begin with. It works out well though, since the framemeister is designed to scale images really well and at high speed, but if the AVS had it, it'd require a lot extra processing time. The HDMI mod for the actual NES has a few modes to compensate for it, including just scaling by 4x and having some borders vertically. Here's a page or two on it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
You should be using FirebrandX's Framemeister profiles, and then picking between the various 4X or 5X options. Then you'll get proper scaling that either doesn't quite fill the screen or overfills it and a little bit is cut off the top and bottom.

http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Looks like it's time to put up my Framemeister for sale since I converted to CRT.

I would give it a while until they run out and production stops, if you want to make bank.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Windjammers is coming soon for ps4 and vita with online versus

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Windjammers coming to ps4 what the gently caress

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

univbee posted:

Finally the original esports.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

univbee posted:

:dogbutton:

GEWONNEN

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Elliotw2 posted:

It's averaging your image a bit, since 240p has to be multiplied 4.5 times to fill up 1080p vertically, and the NES's horizontal resolution wasn't really meant for square pixels to begin with. It works out well though, since the framemeister is designed to scale images really well and at high speed, but if the AVS had it, it'd require a lot extra processing time. The HDMI mod for the actual NES has a few modes to compensate for it, including just scaling by 4x and having some borders vertically. Here's a page or two on it.

Thank you!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nothing beats Windjammers on the original Neo Geo but yeah, I'm totally buying that for the PS4. Garou Mark of the Wolves is also on PS4 today.

Do these kinds of releases cause a dip in the prices of the carts at all? Cause them to go up in price?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jimbot posted:

Do these kinds of releases cause a dip in the prices of the carts at all? Cause them to go up in price?

Most likely keep them completely unchanged. It's not like people couldn't play those games if they wanted. Cart collectors do not even play their possessions generally.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Jimbot posted:

Nothing beats Windjammers on the original Neo Geo but yeah, I'm totally buying that for the PS4. Garou Mark of the Wolves is also on PS4 today.

Prices can dip a little bit, depending (see: Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles) but generally remain fairly high. Shantae is still a 300 dollar game on eBay. Mark of the Wolves is still like ninety bucks on Dreamcast and there have been rereleases on console and PC download services. In terms of price at best these releases seem to pop a genuine bubble a little bit before it would have burst anyway; there's still value in the physical original release. The real good news is always that the game itself is now available again legitimately without having to pay so drat much just to play it.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I do. I have a PVM-14L5. I got it specifically for 480p stuff. There are a handful of other models that do as well. Sony monitors are the simplest to get a hold of since they seem to have been in every studio and hospital. There are other manufacturers that are also good but not as ubiquitous or as well known. JVC, Panasonic and Ikegami. Olympus could be counted I guess since some of the models are rebranded Sony's.

I found a lead on a JVC 16" model with the required RGB hookups that I'm supposed to be picking up today. It's not a Sony, but it was also astoundingly cheaper. Thanks for the advice!

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Jimbot posted:

Apparently it really doesn't all that much. The conspicuous consumers still need to show off how much money they can poo poo away on nonsense/BE A COMPLETIST while people that just want to legally/not deal with emulation folks drop a few bucks and actually play and ideally enjoy the games.

(Retro collecting's dirty little secret is that most of the top price games are complete poo poo nobody actually wants to play in the first place. (Though there are exceptions. But many of the early 3-5 digit games were all crap. Ultima Mt Drash? Chase the Chuckwagon? Stadium Events? Dragonball GT? Weapons grade rear end.). And the other secret is that most collectors aren't really playing most of the crap they hoard anyhow. poo poo, just look at any Steam or Gog sale thread. Most of us now have backlogs capable of taking us 10-40 YEARS worth of gaming without having to ever buy another game. Yet we all keep buying more like the idiot consumers we are. Almost ALL OF US. Myself included. :failure:)

But these releases are good because those of us who like to play classic stuff legitimately have an option. 7 bucks for Terra Cresta on PSN is hella cheaper than getting the arcade cabinet or the inferior NES port that loose is still a good 20 bucks. (Probably some UK microcomputer ports too but as much a computer gamer as I am most post 85 arcade ports to home computers till the Win 95 era were pretty terrible. And not just because 1-2 button joysticks and or EGA/Speccie Color Clash shenanigans.)

Now if they can somehow put Terra Cresta 2 on one of these retro releases. PC Engine and HuCard alone was over 200 last I looked. I guess rereleases of pce/tg16 stuff in any form just isn't enough of a market to bother with. Least there is a nice cheap remake of Target Earth out there I suppose so some of that era still gets a touch of love. (Where are my legit in English Phantasy Star 1-2 ps2 remakes Sega? Why won't you love me Sega? ) When goddamn FALCOM is getting more stuff to us in English something is up though. I mean we all know Konami hates all that is good in this world and is probably doing circle jerks over all their Hudson stuff but... There are way too many classics out there to just be hidden or now only legally hoarded by people who would otherwise have expensive watches or clothes.

SHORT SUMMARY: no these collections or digital download releases don't really affect retro prices at all because collectors mostly want to show off as opposed to enjoy classic games.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Welp, finally watched a video of Pokemon cock version... then immediately ordered two.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

Apparently it really doesn't all that much. The conspicuous consumers still need to show off how much money they can poo poo away on nonsense/BE A COMPLETIST while people that just want to legally/not deal with emulation folks drop a few bucks and actually play and ideally enjoy the games.

(Retro collecting's dirty little secret is that most of the top price games are complete poo poo nobody actually wants to play in the first place. (Though there are exceptions. But many of the early 3-5 digit games were all crap. Ultima Mt Drash? Chase the Chuckwagon? Stadium Events? Dragonball GT? Weapons grade rear end.). And the other secret is that most collectors aren't really playing most of the crap they hoard anyhow. poo poo, just look at any Steam or Gog sale thread. Most of us now have backlogs capable of taking us 10-40 YEARS worth of gaming without having to ever buy another game. Yet we all keep buying more like the idiot consumers we are. Almost ALL OF US. Myself included. :failure:)

But these releases are good because those of us who like to play classic stuff legitimately have an option. 7 bucks for Terra Cresta on PSN is hella cheaper than getting the arcade cabinet or the inferior NES port that loose is still a good 20 bucks. (Probably some UK microcomputer ports too but as much a computer gamer as I am most post 85 arcade ports to home computers till the Win 95 era were pretty terrible. And not just because 1-2 button joysticks and or EGA/Speccie Color Clash shenanigans.)

Now if they can somehow put Terra Cresta 2 on one of these retro releases. PC Engine and HuCard alone was over 200 last I looked. I guess rereleases of pce/tg16 stuff in any form just isn't enough of a market to bother with. Least there is a nice cheap remake of Target Earth out there I suppose so some of that era still gets a touch of love. (Where are my legit in English Phantasy Star 1-2 ps2 remakes Sega? Why won't you love me Sega? ) When goddamn FALCOM is getting more stuff to us in English something is up though. I mean we all know Konami hates all that is good in this world and is probably doing circle jerks over all their Hudson stuff but... There are way too many classics out there to just be hidden or now only legally hoarded by people who would otherwise have expensive watches or clothes.

SHORT SUMMARY: no these collections or digital download releases don't really affect retro prices at all because collectors mostly want to show off as opposed to enjoy classic games.

holy poo poo dude just get a flash cart

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Rollersnake posted:

I'd love to get totally engrossed in a RPG like I used to, but maybe that'll have to wait until I retire.

I'm playing Morrowind again (PC, lightly modded), but I'm being afflicted by choice paralysis and looking up absolutely everything on the wiki. That's probably not the right way to enjoy an open-world RPG, especially since I've not progressed very far in past playthroughs.

univbee posted:

Who is the dev? I hope for all your sakes it's not DotEmu. Is this part of the ACA Neo Geo rollout that just started?

d0s posted:

holy poo poo dude just get a flash cart

New thread title

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ofecks posted:

Who is the dev? I hope for all your sakes it's not DotEmu. Is this part of the ACA Neo Geo rollout that just started?

It is totally DotEmu. I've not heard their name brought up regarding bad ports before but the Ys fans I follow on Twitter are very unhappy about them doing the PS4 port of Ys Origin.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Charles Get-Out posted:

I found a lead on a JVC 16" model with the required RGB hookups that I'm supposed to be picking up today. It's not a Sony, but it was also astoundingly cheaper. Thanks for the advice!

The TM-1650SU? That's a decent model, just don't overpay. Doesn't do 480p if you care about that, but everything is else is a-ok.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Can someone give me an eBay link to some known good SNES controller replacement rubber pads? I bought some cheap ones, but now I have no diagonals :(

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I put my arcade and retro console stuff on sa mart. You want a NAC? TWO anime tity games? The real windjammers? get at me

njsykora posted:

Finally the original esports.

you could play on fightcade for years.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 4, 2016

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

njsykora posted:

It is totally DotEmu. I've not heard their name brought up regarding bad ports before but the Ys fans I follow on Twitter are very unhappy about them doing the PS4 port of Ys Origin.

They are infamous in the arcade community for butchering ports. My own personal problem with them was the garbage job on the Raiden Fighters games a few years back. Others say the Neo Geo games you can get on steam are poo poo as well. I would advise everyone in this thread to avoid their releases.

e: They're not even ports, they're just MAME roms with sub-MAME emulation quality that cost actual money.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 4, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

it's a shame you're so far away, I'd sell a bunch of poo poo and scoop that NAC but shipping would make it too expensive :( I want your Reco though so if you're willing to sell that on it's own please send me a PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The TM-1650SU? That's a decent model, just don't overpay. Doesn't do 480p if you care about that, but everything is else is a-ok.

Yup! I'm not going to be using it for anything beyond PSX/Saturn era, but good to know about the 480p. I picked it up ~30 minutes ago and the guy I got it from started talking about how he used to just chunk the Sony PVMs. Gave the guy $80 for the JVC cause I didn't have to pay for shipping so maybe a bit on the pricey side, but still a fraction of what his 20" Sonys were going for.

Where did you get your SCART/BNC convertor from?

edit: I'm guessing for something that outputs native RGB, I can just build a BNC cable if I have the hookups yeah?

Nancy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 4, 2016

• Locked thread