Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

XCX had a lot of needless complexity. Sure I get that you can spend a bunch of time to set up lots of augments and soul voices in a symbiotic way to toggle murdergod mode but goddamn, it'd be nice if you'd make large enemies, including a late/end game boss, not just send you flying like a field goal attempt because they got close to you. People who did skell combat fights on foot are weird and if it wasn't for the "you get sent flying by large enemy movement (and can do the same to small enemies with your skell)" then I could at least see the appeal due to its challenge. Skell combat was pretty broken in general though. I think it took more time to go from 28-30 than it took to go from 30-40 because you go buy an Amadusias and just back attack beam scythe enemies a dozen levels above you and then finish them off a couple seconds later. It was a good game but XC was better in just about every way. Especially the music. And the Nopon.

World Tyrants having co-op is the biggest tease though. The next game just needs to allow co-op, either a drop in/out setup along the lines of games like Crackdown and Saint's Row or a more party structured freeform system like in Dragon Quest 9 and the leader can light up their bat signal when they need you to stop doing whatever you're doing and help them.

In any fight you can't alpha strike with a skell, a ground party will have wildly superior sustained dps due to the cooldown reduction in overdrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
'course, there's like 5 things in the game an ares 90 can't oneshot soooooo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I like ground combat in XCX a lot. It was pretty tightly designed given the open world form, especially when compared to FF15's messy loose combat. If the plot had bothered to finish and the sound design was not total garbage, it would be a modern classic. Songs resetting each time they play was the worst. Lack of a music volume option was next up.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

bloodychill posted:

I like ground combat in XCX a lot. It was pretty tightly designed given the open world form, especially when compared to FF15's messy loose combat. If the plot had bothered to finish and the sound design was not total garbage, it would be a modern classic. Songs resetting each time they play was the worst. Lack of a music volume option was next up.
Every time I think I should play XCX again, the music starts playing in my head and I reconsider

uh, uh

yeah

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Has anyone in here praised WOFF's OST because it's loving amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-qq-MbXN_k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh2wvo2qubc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxIxaIJO3FI

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
https://twitter.com/hardclear/status/804213458954846208

he can make my noodle dream a reality any day :allears:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's so weird that Gladio's voice actor is Junkrat in Overwatch

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
XCX was great until I unlocked Skell flight and thus could explore everything and thus lost all reason to further play the game.

Town day/night themes were loving hilarious at least.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

XCX's soundtrack was good but both -blades have boring combat and plots

jumping around was fun tho

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

God bless

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I'd ask how much they had to pay for that product placement but some people are freakishly in love with Cup Noodle.

Mega64 posted:

XCX was great until I unlocked Skell flight and thus could explore everything and thus lost all reason to further play the game.

Town day/night themes were loving hilarious at least.

Then you find out there are data points that require a rank 5 skill but you can only go up to rank 4 at first so they just sit there taunting you for the rest of the goddamn game. :argh:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So is it too early to call or are things going smoothly for XV? No XIII-style backlash?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So is it too early to call or are things going smoothly for XV? No XIII-style backlash?

It's too early to call. The game does some things in the later half which are really going to influence people's opinions on the whole and most people are still early on.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
95% of people haven't beaten the game

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait what is going on here why does this sound like someone overdubbed this?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean it kind of seems like the internet hates every game a few months down the line no matter what

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Every time I think I should play XCX again, the music starts playing in my head and I reconsider

uh, uh

yeah

I can't hear you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean it kind of seems like the internet hates every game a few months down the line no matter what

Well, yeah, but even beyond that FFXV has a lot of really serious flaws. Right now we're at the point where people are super-excited that Prompto took funny pictures and so-on but once the shine wears off people are going to become legitimately more critical of the game. It's going to be hard to tell what the end response will be once people are over the thrill of it actually coming out and not being an irredeemable disaster.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Motto posted:

XCX's soundtrack was good but both -blades have boring combat and plots

jumping around was fun tho

Combat in Xenoblade was divine, then it got better. And the story was the first since VII to have so many plot twists! I usually recommend Xenoblade to people looking for a more obscure JRPG now. Where I used to recommend Xenogears, nowadays unless you've got a tolerance for poor translations or 90s anime it's tough to recommend.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Every single FF since 7 has been legitimately disliked, 15 will be no different and polarizing.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Die Sexmonster! posted:

And the story was the first since VII to have so many plot twists!

i take it you didn't play X

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

i take it you didn't play X

i am struggling to think of what is a plot twist in 10, the story was pretty upfront about everything

like is yunalesca being evil supposed to be a twist?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tae posted:

Every single FF since 7 has been legitimately disliked, 15 will be no different and polarizing.

you can legit dislike all the final fantasies, since the gameplay can vary so much between them, so someone will hate whatever the newest battle mechanic is

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
tho if i ever meet the person who hates job systems i may have to strangle them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

i am struggling to think of what is a plot twist in 10, the story was pretty upfront about everything

like is yunalesca being evil supposed to be a twist?

Tidus not being from the past, the Yevon religion being run by crazy zombies, Auron being dead, that sort of thing. I mean Yevon being evil was predictable because it was a JRPG but if you're complaining about predictable plot twists then Xenoblade ain't exactly coming out ahead.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Tidus not being from the past, the Yevon religion being run by crazy zombies, Auron being dead, that sort of thing. I mean Yevon being evil was predictable because it was a JRPG but if you're complaining about predictable plot twists then Xenoblade ain't exactly coming out ahead.

also seymour being a nihilistic weirdo, the whole 'summoners die to stop sin' thing, arguably jecht being sin but the game doesn't exactly treat it as a twist auron just tells you straight up when you re-encounter him in spira so idk if you'd count that

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yuna dying at the end of the Pilgrimage is supposed to the big twist of the game. It gets mocked endlessly by people who hate X because "I saw it coming so this big emotional scene is nothing to me."

I myself can't remember if I picked up on the mountain of hints she was going to die when I first played the game. Auron being dead is even less subtle, it's all but spelled out for you in Guadosalam.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh okay, yeah i guess i did forget tidus being a summon wasn't told to ya in the first hour

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

plot twist: that kid will never grow up to be a blitzball

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Now I'm trying to think of the FF with the least plot twists. (excluding the NES games for obvious reasons)

Maybe XIII? It's a very straightforward game. Like, the big twist of the game is that the villain is actually the main villain. (you're supposed to think the Pope is a puppet not the puppetmaster but given the total lack of any other important antagonist, it kinda doesn't work)

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

You learn Sin is Jecht pretty early on, but I swear I was properly surprised at the time. And I think that having to sacrifice a guardian to create the Final Aeon to fight Sin was a big revelation, too.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

V has very few twists, all i can really think of offhand are faris being lenna's sister and king tycoon being possessed by exdeath and that's all in act 1

oh and maybe galuf dying?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Now I'm trying to think of the FF with the least plot twists. (excluding the NES games for obvious reasons)

Maybe XIII? It's a very straightforward game. Like, the big twist of the game is that the villain is actually the main villain. (you're supposed to think the Pope is a puppet not the puppetmaster but given the total lack of any other important antagonist, it kinda doesn't work)

FFXIII has some twists. Vanille being a L'cie the entire time is one for example (and is foreshadowed early on by her having 3 ATB bars instead of 2 like everyone else, which I thought was clever). It's got a handful but I don't think anyone of them hit very hard.

The most 'straight' is probably FFV. It has some minor twists (Galuf is an alien!) but... honestly "Galuf is an alien" and "Leena and Faris are sisters" are about it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FF1 still had one of the best twists in the franchise, especially back in the day.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

How could you not discuss the twist in FFV that the villain of the game is a tree.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
in FF2 GBA leon's face just has a slight shadow over it making it obvious who he is so i'm not sure if that was a twist in the original version or if it was just as plainly told to you

regardless, FF2 is the one with the least twists since the only other one is the emperor becoming the king of hell, even tho i guess thats not a plot twist so much as plot happening

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I don't understand, they delayed the game six weeks so there wouldn't be a day one patch, and then there's a massive 9 gig day one patch that is mostly poo poo nobody could actually care about sprinkled with actual gameplay adjustments. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm mad I can't play the stupid game I bought yet because my internet sucks

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Calaveron posted:

So I don't understand, they delayed the game six weeks so there wouldn't be a day one patch, and then there's a massive 9 gig day one patch that is mostly poo poo nobody could actually care about sprinkled with actual gameplay adjustments. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm mad I can't play the stupid game I bought yet because my internet sucks

The day 1 months ago patch was probably going to be like 20 gigs, the day 1 stuff is like very small incremental stuff and mostly kingsglaive cutscenes.

Like you can literally look up Day 1 FF15 patch to see what you'd miss out on

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

They didn't want there to be a gigantic day 1 patch. (And yes, 9 GB is large but we're probably talking more like 20 GB) From all reports FFXV was running a whole fuckload more poorly than it is now and the delay was to make sure it launched to the point that the un-patched version runs acceptably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

FFXIII has some twists. Vanille

I wonder how many of ff13's twists were just Vanille lying to to people because it was easier or to make them feel better.