Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sunning posted:

In addition to Terra Battle, they're working with Silicon Studios (Bravely Default) on a new game. I'm guessing it's a mobile game with fancy graphics, similar to Final Fantasy Mobius.

Ugh...I loving hate mobile games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I did a lot of Tech attacks in the rain and the visual weirdness was so jarring that I thought my PS4's GPU was baking itself.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Okay, I started out sort of liking this game, but I'm starting to really dislike it, unfortunately. It feels like for roughly 80% of the time it's a pretty screensaver where you don't hit any buttons, or you hold a button down or occasionally hit a button to keep going fast. The fishing minigame is as arbitrary and boring as any fishing minigame I've seen in a video game, and the combat feels like you basically just hold L2 95% of the time because if you try to do anything fancy you're going to get your rear end flattened - it works better when you're fighting larger guys, but most of the fights are against huge masses of little guys that will just annihilate all of your party members and then poo poo gets real boring, because you don't even get the kind-of-interesting attacks like prompto's flare gun or the thing where ignis points at a bunch of dudes and you warp to them. Also sometimes noctis will just swing his daggers in the air for a while over a little dude, which feels awful in a game where it's difficult to control how you attack, since it's based on camera position and not absolute.

I'm also having trouble getting noctis to attack the people I want - sometimes I'll zoom over to a gun dude to try to take him out, and noctis will just keep swinging at a melee dude because he's closer even though I'm pointing the control stick 150 degrees in another direction. The lockon is iffy as well, I basically just hit the button and pray because it's impossible to lock on to exactly the dude/part-of-dude I want.

Sorry to sort of vent on here, but I just finished the (chapter.... 4? 5? spoilers) forced stealth mission where you just end up killing anyone anyway, and then you get in trouble in a scripted way and solve it in a completely scripted way and it just sort of brought all the stuff that had been sort of bothering me about the game to a head. The big buff guy managed to turn invisible for it, though, and stayed invisible the whole time, including during the cutscenes following, which was sort of amusing.

Do you at least eventually get to stab that ponce with the red hair to death? I really hate his whole shtick.

e. lol, the story event after the spoilered event. This game's story is stupid.

Trick Question fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 3, 2016

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Fishing isn't arbitrary. Well, beyond the obscene amount of lures to go through anyway.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Fishing isn't arbitrary. Well, beyond the obscene amount of lures to go through anyway.

It feels arbitrary to me, with the whole "vary your speed to attract fish" thing. And how they completely lose interest if you reel the lure in too much, regardless of what the red bar is doing. It would probably work better if I matched lure to fish, but in order to do that you have to know what the fish in that body of water are, and in order to do that you need to catch a fish. Unless I'm missing something.

e. I should point out that I was terrible at the ocarina of time fishing minigame as well, which this reminds me a lot of, so it could be that I just don't mix with videogame fish.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

FF7 remake is gonna have Aeris with the selfies.

Then she dies, but someone mysteriously keeps taking pictures. Every few photos will have some weird green glow.

Then the ending is a giant smartphone emerging from the lifestream to absorb Meteor into the screen.

And it'll be product placement.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shield of the Just is a really nice weapon to have slotted for all the passive stats it gives you. It doubled my hp to almost 3k :aaaaa:

You can grab it right at the start of CH3 if you beeline to it's location west of The Disc inside of Thommel's Glade

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 3, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Shield of the Just is a really nice weapon to have slotted for all the passive stats it gives you. It doubled my hp to almost 3k :aaaaa:
...do slotted weapons you're not using give their bonuses still?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh, do weapons affect your stats even if you don't use them?

I guess that makes sense, or your HP would jump all over the place when you swap.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cams posted:

...do slotted weapons you're not using give their bonuses still?

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, do weapons affect your stats even if you don't use them?

I guess that makes sense, or your HP would jump all over the place when you swap.

Sure looks that way. They don't give you their attack power, but you get everything else including bonuses and penalties.

edit: vvv yea that thing destroys your defense stat

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 3, 2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Protip: Don't slot axe of the conquerer unless you're going to use it.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Prompto's Sarshell ability seems to stop Couerls from using their insta kill attacks for a while. Using that I was able to beat the Couerl hunt at level 30 by holing out until I could summon Ramuh to finish them off.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

LizardBeam posted:

Sooo... Japanese, English, French or German voices? I am weirdly tempted to try German.

I picked Japanese just to hear Miyano

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just took on two packs of animals and two dropships of two axemen and an assassin each and took barely any damage and ended it with a triple A+. I feel like a king.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The cup noodles commercial/side-quest is loving hilarious and makes me love this bizarre game even more.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Trick Question posted:

Okay, I started out sort of liking this game, but I'm starting to really dislike it, unfortunately. It feels like for roughly 80% of the time it's a pretty screensaver where you don't hit any buttons, or you hold a button down or occasionally hit a button to keep going fast. The fishing minigame is as arbitrary and boring as any fishing minigame I've seen in a video game, and the combat feels like you basically just hold L2 95% of the time because if you try to do anything fancy you're going to get your rear end flattened - it works better when you're fighting larger guys, but most of the fights are against huge masses of little guys that will just annihilate all of your party members and then poo poo gets real boring, because you don't even get the kind-of-interesting attacks like prompto's flare gun or the thing where ignis points at a bunch of dudes and you warp to them. Also sometimes noctis will just swing his daggers in the air for a while over a little dude, which feels awful in a game where it's difficult to control how you attack, since it's based on camera position and not absolute.

I'm also having trouble getting noctis to attack the people I want - sometimes I'll zoom over to a gun dude to try to take him out, and noctis will just keep swinging at a melee dude because he's closer even though I'm pointing the control stick 150 degrees in another direction. The lockon is iffy as well, I basically just hit the button and pray because it's impossible to lock on to exactly the dude/part-of-dude I want.

Sorry to sort of vent on here, but I just finished the (chapter.... 4? 5? spoilers) forced stealth mission where you just end up killing anyone anyway, and then you get in trouble in a scripted way and solve it in a completely scripted way and it just sort of brought all the stuff that had been sort of bothering me about the game to a head. The big buff guy managed to turn invisible for it, though, and stayed invisible the whole time, including during the cutscenes following, which was sort of amusing.

Do you at least eventually get to stab that ponce with the red hair to death? I really hate his whole shtick.

e. lol, the story event after the spoilered event. This game's story is stupid.

Try wait mode, select a target when the game's in freeze mode, lock on, and select an appropriate weapon. Also, lay off the left thumbstick so much while you're actually attacking - you only want to use it when you're modifying the type of swing you're doing with the selected weapon. In order to actually lock on to something you need to face it (or use Wait mode and use right thumb stick to select a target) and then hold down whatever lock on button you have set. After that just keep the lock on button held down and use a combination of jumping and holding down Attack in order to actually attack stuff, while modifying your swing type with the left thumbstick during combos or for opener attacks. You don't need to try and "move" at all while actually holding down the attack button.

pissdude fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 3, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You can grab it right at the start of CH3 if you beeline to it's location west of The Disc inside of Thommel's Glade

It does absolutely annihilate your strength though.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

HD DAD posted:

The cup noodles commercial/side-quest is loving hilarious and makes me love this bizarre game even more.

You can't improve upon perfection...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm trying to get Cid to upgrade my Engine Blade, but I have to unequip it to let him upgrade it, but it says gear is locked?

:what:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Soul Glo posted:

I'm trying to get Cid to upgrade my Engine Blade, but I have to unequip it to let him upgrade it, but it says gear is locked?

:what:

Switch your active weapon to something else before unequipping it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

melodicwaffle posted:

Switch your active weapon to something else before unequipping it.

I couldn't do that, I guess cause I only have one sword?

e: Bought another sword, still locked. What the hell.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 3, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lets hang out posted:

get artifacting all over the screen sometimes when i parry :ohdear:

Is it on carpet? Well ventilated? Try putting it on top of a large flat book. :ohdear:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

Two things here:

1. You don't need to replace a weapon in a slot with another of the same type. You could have put anything there.

2. It's the weapon you're currently using to attack. Use the dpad to switch.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Terper posted:

Two things here:

1. You don't need to replace a weapon in a slot with another of the same type. You could have put anything there.

2. It's the weapon you're currently using to attack. Use the dpad to switch.

Nothing I was doing was fixing it, tried switching active weapons, everything.

I saved and reloaded, works fine now.

Hey, I found a bug. :argh:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Soul Glo posted:

Are you still at the very beginning? I couldn't unequip the default sword for the Blazefire Saber myself until I'd done a few story quests. I don't know exactly what triggers it but maybe just do a bit more stuff and then come back.

If you're not still in the beginning then I have no idea, sorry.

e: nvm. this game is buggy as heck

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
At last, they have stopped with the cave dungeons.

Also people do Dino's quests he leads you to dungeons. Also Dino is great, a co-worker and I were giggling like maniacs imitating his voice. I don't love the quests themselves but I love every ridiculous thing about Dino. A journalist by day and an amateur jeweler by night like what the gently caress

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

The chapters really start getting shorter as the game goes on. The transition from Leviathan to Train/Mine was really poorly done. It's like they rushed everything after Altissia by an order of magnitude faster than the rest of the game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

At last, they have stopped with the cave dungeons.

Also people do Dino's quests he leads you to dungeons. Also Dino is great, a co-worker and I were giggling like maniacs imitating his voice. I don't love the quests themselves but I love every ridiculous thing about Dino. A journalist by day and an amateur jeweler by night like what the gently caress

Which dungeons, where specifically? I might've missed some

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Ch 8+ random event Cruising around at night, ran into a pack of demons, and Aranea jumps of a dropship and helps clear them out. Rad.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

First Time Caller posted:

The chapters really start getting shorter as the game goes on. The transition from Leviathan to Train/Mine was really poorly done. It's like they rushed everything after Altissia by an order of magnitude faster than the rest of the game.

Well you are about to run into a really, really long chapter that a ton of people so far hate, so.

(I didn't like it much either tbh, but it's kinda interesting. Feels like someone slipped a demo for an entirely different game in there.) The game definitely funnels you toward the end after a point, but then it all opens back up again. Part of it is definitely a development issue, but I think it's sorta an attempt to work around *the* open-world problem of making it feel like your character actually gives a poo poo about the task at hand once things really hit the fan. I think the game at least makes a conscious effort to keep the stakes lower in the beginning, though of course for some people that runs into the opposite problem, where they want to progress and the story feels too thin / lacks momentum.

I'll honestly be curious to see if they go for this degree of an open-world again in the future. It's a lot of fun and the combat is more involved / complex than ever before, but that also means that this game probably won't end up having the same kind of lazy-day replayability factor that brings me back to the older games every once in a while. I'm excited to see what a more action-oriented playstyle will look like with a more structured game like VII.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing that is amazing about this game is just how often you run into "Well, we had a thing but it's half-finished so stick in in there and deal with it." My favorite is when you go on a stealth mission to kidnap a guy and then Iggy is like "yeah I took him to the hunters but he escaped literally immediately welp!" It's almost funny though I imagine it'll piss some people off.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If your hunt targets aren't spawning restart the game, there's a bug where monster spawns just stop eventually. Took me dropping like 3 quests to figure this out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

isk posted:

Ch 8+ random event Cruising around at night, ran into a pack of demons, and Aranea jumps of a dropship and helps clear them out. Rad.

Aranea is the absolute best. Her and Ardyn are by far the most interesting people I've met.

ImpAtom posted:

One thing that is amazing about this game is just how often you run into "Well, we had a thing but it's half-finished so stick in in there and deal with it." My favorite is when you go on a stealth mission to kidnap a guy and then Iggy is like "yeah I took him to the hunters but he escaped literally immediately welp!" It's almost funny though I imagine it'll piss some people off.

Yeah I literally laughed out loud at how absurd that was. Iggy, what the gently caress!? But I mean just after that you get sent on a fetch quest to gather mithril plating for your boat (?!?) because that's the only way you're getting across the sea, and then as soon as you finish you get flown over to town to do a quick story about the power plant that CLEARLY wasn't finished. We don't have time to explain, look there's only one suit so the king has to go it alone. Sorry. We "bodyguards" are just gonna wait right over here...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Watching Brotherhood episode 3 and holy poo poo Iris has the shortest attention span ever. She's like a goldfish.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

So what did y'all name your Chocobos? I named mine Boco-no-Choco.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mine is called Rodger

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I had the Liege of the Lake on the line for 30 loving minutes but motherfucker I got him.

What does this lure do that he dropped? The description makes it sound like it works for every single fish.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

So what did y'all name your Chocobos? I named mine Boco-no-Choco.

Brocobo

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I busted through the game and just finished it a little bit earlier tonight. Some impressions:

I really like the dynamic between Noctis, Gladiolus, Ignis, and Prompto. They're lots of fun to watch and see how they interact with each other. Noctis is probably the least interesting of the bunch to me, mostly because he's largely characterized by the phrase "angsty teen" but my perception warmed up as events unfolded in the game. I've still not watched Brotherhood yet but I'll probably check it out sometime soon, but I'm not a huge fan of having the story jut out across several different mediums. It makes it feel bigger, but it also feels a bit... unnecessary. I do like the idea of finding out more about events and characters involved in the game, in any case.

I'm so-so on battling. I beat the game at level 50 with tons and tons of sidequests done, and I was really surprised to find out that I'm apparently using the best buyable equipment in the game for my party members. I haven't used Royal Arms much with Noctis just because I haven't found any I'm really interested in yet. I'm looking forward to doing a lot of the higher level content I've not tried yet, but I'm not particularly looking forward to some of the enemies that hit like bricks because I have a hard time with certain button prompts. I guess gaining levels will help with beating enemies a little bit, but man battles really do become wars of attrition against certain enemies. I guess I could turn down the difficulty, but then I don't feel like I'm getting the full experience.

I like the way the story goes in the first half of the game, and the events that happen in the linear half are (mostly) good, but I would have prefered if the game stayed open world the whole way through. There are a lot of ideas that pop up that feel like they weren't fully realized. I'd also really like it if there were more opportunities to hang out with some of the guest characters. As an aside, some characters' voice acting really did start to grate after a while. There were some instances with Gladio that I just felt like they didn't give his voice actor enough direction with serious material, or that his voice actor wasn't emoting enough for the dialogue, things like that.

Spoilers now! There are a lot of characters in this game that start off with interesting premises but are never given time to shine. Ravus seemed neat but you only see him in like three scenes. Luna is mostly only seen in flashbacks and Noct practically had more chemistry with Iris than her. Hell, speaking of Iris, there's another character that practically drops off the face of the planet after being introduced. Aranea and Cor are neat characters that aren't given much of a chance to shine too. At the very least I appreciate that they gave Ardyn a lot of presence throughout the story, which seemed like a complete polar opposite of Barthandelus from XIII, thank goodness.

The time skip was cool and good. I have no idea why the Crystal and Bahamut decided it would be a good idea to have a Legend of Zelda style time skip to take Noct into the future, but whatever. It was a nice effect. I was actually expecting to be able to do more free-roaming in the World of Ruin, so I was disappointed there wasn't anything involved. Also, despite Talcott saying Cindy's at Hammerhead, she's nowhere to be seen. Potential DLC content? Feels like a huge missed opportunity, anyway.

It would have been nice to have a bit more closure from the ending too. They don't have much of an epilogue and what is presented is more of a post-death dream sequence rather than anything else. It, like other things in the game, felt partially satisfying but also unfinished.

I guess my overall rating would be an 8/10, would probably eat Cup Noodles again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Iggy that's inappropriate

Iggy no

Iggy just give up

• Locked thread