Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Chard posted:

I'm finally playing Mark of the Ninja and it's amazing. My little thing is that there is a cardboard box, and it works like it should, and there is an achievement for the special cardboard box stealth kill called "Inner Heaven" :ocelot:

e: voracious serpent :yum:

My favorite Mark of the Ninja thing is the time where I was climbing up an outer wall of a building a at night and jumped onto a balcony that had a guard on it. Because it was dark he didn't see me but suddenly the lightning flashed and revealed me for a second. Instead of immediately alerting the guard and putting me in combat, the guard suddenly seeing a ninja in front of his face in a lightning flash panicked and was helpless in fear. I love that you can terrorize guards like in the Batman games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would love to see something like that in other games. guards do jump back in surprise when they suddenly see emily or corvo behind them but I think the typical person's response to turning around and seeing a masked killer would be a hell of a lot more than some surprise and then "come on, let's get this guy!" :reject:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love games that are soothing and good for unwinding after being stressed or anxious, and I wanted to praise Titan Quest because it's been super handy today after dealing with some political anxieties - it's pleasantly repetitious, it's fun to kill monsters, and the scenery and monsters are pretty to look at.

So of course I worry a little about playing too much of it and finishing it before I'm ready to be done with it, and I looked up my location in a walkthrough and :stare:

I'm barely a fraction of the way into the game! In five hours I've made it to Ambrossos and ye gods, that's not even halfway through Greece, and there are two other regions ahead of me. This is excellent! - Now of course I get to worry about burning out on it and never finishing it, but that's a better concern. :v:

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love games that are soothing and good for unwinding after being stressed or anxious, and I wanted to praise Titan Quest because it's been super handy today after dealing with some political anxieties - it's pleasantly repetitious, it's fun to kill monsters, and the scenery and monsters are pretty to look at.

So of course I worry a little about playing too much of it and finishing it before I'm ready to be done with it, and I looked up my location in a walkthrough and :stare:

I'm barely a fraction of the way into the game! In five hours I've made it to Ambrossos and ye gods, that's not even halfway through Greece, and there are two other regions ahead of me. This is excellent! - Now of course I get to worry about burning out on it and never finishing it, but that's a better concern. :v:

Get the expansion too, which adds a whole fourth level, the best (in my opinion) mastery, and lots of quality of life improvements.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Digirat posted:

I would love to see something like that in other games. guards do jump back in surprise when they suddenly see emily or corvo behind them but I think the typical person's response to turning around and seeing a masked killer would be a hell of a lot more than some surprise and then "come on, let's get this guy!" :reject:

I loved the Batman games for that. I would replay the hell out of predator levels just to find different ways to freak out the mooks.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Enigma posted:

Get the expansion too, which adds a whole fourth level, the best (in my opinion) mastery, and lots of quality of life improvements.

Grim Dawn is made by the same guys and in the same engine and with the same method of skill trees, also worth a play.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

samu3lk posted:

Playing the 2013 Tomb Raider game and I love any game with a bow where releasing the aim button cancels the shot. A lot of games make you switch weapons or waste an arrow.

I also like subtle animations in the game like Lara grabbing her ribs while running or limping after a fall.

In Overwatch, for Hanzo, the bow & arrow character, you can cancel a drawn arrow by using the alt fire button (default RMB). Another nice thing is that you can switch arrow types even while drawing an arrow.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Everyone shits on Brutal Legend for turning into an RTS halfway through and becoming really hard at the same time, and while the latter is true, they could have just made it's nature more obvious by introducing it earlier and more definitively - by wrapping it in Action Game fare they confused the issue (plus my - well documented by now on these forums- distate for Eddie's character derailment in his treatment of Ophelia).

Think about it: Eddie Riggs is a roadie - his job is to direct bands from behind the scenes and make sure that they're sets go well - in a RTS setting he is literally Roadieing the battles themselves - staying out of sight, supporting the main players without overshadowing them, etc. RTS actually made the most sense - they should have made Eddie combat a last ditch resort - something you only did when backed into a corner. That way when the boss battles started we would have at least been prepared to play the way the game completely failed to teach us to play - like a roadie.

My Little Thing is how much more sense the premise made under scrutiny.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Oxenfree has an achievement for going the entire game without ever talking to anyone. And it's a walking simulator/light adventure game where 90% of the game is you crisscrossing across a map with your friends having conversations, so going for it turns the whole thing into an odyssey of awkward pauses and them being angry and confused at you ignoring them. It's great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Enigma posted:

I have the Anniversary edition on Steam, and I assume that has the expansion. What's the best mastery? I've been enjoying Storm/Defense so far as I love poking things with spears.

I have Grim Dawn and will reinstall it when I'm done with Titan Quest~

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

Oxenfree has an achievement for going the entire game without ever talking to anyone. And it's a walking simulator/light adventure game where 90% of the game is you crisscrossing across a map with your friends having conversations, so going for it turns the whole thing into an odyssey of awkward pauses and them being angry and confused at you ignoring them. It's great.

There's also one for making an enemy out of EVERYONE.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have the Anniversary edition on Steam, and I assume that has the expansion. What's the best mastery? I've been enjoying Storm/Defense so far as I love poking things with spears.

I have Grim Dawn and will reinstall it when I'm done with Titan Quest~

The wiki harps on Dream as being the best, but it doesn't explain why or what's overpowered about it. I haven't played much, but my latest attempt is Warfare/Dream.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I always appreciate is when a game has a strong theme, even if all the mechanics aren't perfect. If the game has a strong central concept, either in level design, visual spectacle or gameplay mechanics I can forgive mediocrity in other areas, as I feel it unfair to compare budget games with flagship titles due to the budget games having an innate disadvantage. Examples of strong themes with less than stellar mechanics in PS2 games I've enjoyed:

Project Eden -

Theme it is trying to get across: A descent into a gradually more and more hellish landscape a la . Dante's Inferno, with a close knit team trying desperately to survive while chasing a drug gang further and further down.

How it pulls it off: The setting of the game is a large city that has constantly been built upwards. The wealthy live on the top layers and as the areas get closer to ground level you get more and more dilapidated environments with homeless people and weird creatures making their homes there. The end of each of the 13 levels is an elevator that takes you further down each time, with Ground Floor not being until the 12th level. The earlier levels feel more lived in and as the game progresses it gives a good idea of just how badly each layer has been abandoned for, with a good variety of levels too, like an ancient hospital, a broken down zoo with no living animals, and a construction site that completely bisects your party due to said gang bombing a bridge so your characters only meet up right at the end.

The team members feel important as they are important mechanically - without any of them the game is literally impossible, and the game makes clever use of the idea that you control everybody - you do things as some characters so others can advance and help the first character in turn. The most interesting idea there is that in the Zoo one of the characters is kidnapped and put in a cell. Normally this breaks immersion as "Why can't she just break out?" However - you can still switch to her, and find that all her weapons are gone, and there is nothing that you the player can do until you get the other 3 down there somehow.

Weaknesses: The shooting is weird as the ai characters generally auto aim, but you get a little box in the middle of the screen with a sluggish crosshair to aim with - as long as the box is over an enemy you will hurt them, but some enemies require the cursor for greater accuracy. It generally devolves to "Stand back and let the AI do the job". There is no jump button - the characters hop up a ledge or fall off it, no grabbing it, no jumping over gaps. This can make platforming needlessly difficult, however when you figure out how it "feels" it actually works - you can navigate without too much trouble, it's just kinda awkward.

The Plan

Theme: A heist game in the vein of Ocean's 11 - 7 characters with unique skills all working in tandem to get revenge on an 8th party member who betrayed them.

Pulled off: You control 3 characters simultaneously in splitscreen, one central screen showing the one you control with two little screen in the top showing the other two. You can hold the Ll and/or R1 buttons to control all three at once for, for example, escaping a shutting gate or pressing simultaneous buttons. The objectives are broken down at the start of each level, with an effecting map of the area to mark everyone's positions. The levels are varied, fun and interesting and the plot is really satisfying to watch unfold as they slowly chip away at the 8th person's plan driving them further and further into a corner.

Weaknesses: Pickpocketing is a really badly implemented mechanic, and combat is clunky as hell. However you can get the hang of pickpocketing and generally, if your fighting you've done something wrong with a few exceptions where it is unavoidable in the last few levels.

Without Warning

Theme: A group of employees, bystanders and a pair of swat agents try to defend a nuclear plant from terrorist attacks.

Pulled Off: The levels are as varied as the characters you have to play with. Some characters are really combat focused like the soldiers, some have special objectives, like the reporter who needs to get to good waypoints using stealth to get good photos of the action, and some are just stuck, like the receptionist who is completely unarmed and pure stealth as she just tried to survive. Because the first character introduced is the one who first bites it, breaking the usual convention of First Dude=Main character, you never know afterwards who will make it, adding a good amount of tension.

Weaknesses:
Actual gameplay is somewhat generic, basically functional, the characters and plot unfolding are why the game works so well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

The wiki harps on Dream as being the best, but it doesn't explain why or what's overpowered about it. I haven't played much, but my latest attempt is Warfare/Dream.

Hmmm, that might be out of date information - the Anniversary edition rebalanced everything and nerfed Dream a lot, apparently, so it may not be the powerhouse it used to be.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
A weird one from Final Fantasy XV: if you change the text language from English, it also changes the distances to map markers from miles and feet to km and m, and the measurements of fish you catch to cm and g.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Because an outline of Fallout 3's plot made me realize it, I just want to point out one of my favorite things about Oblivion that none of Bethesda's games really did before or after to my knowledge:

You are not the savior. You're not even special (ignoring the debatable point of CHIM). You're just there, and helpful.

I think that direction is great for a game like what Bethesda makes, because it imparts absolutely no importance on your character that you don't decide for yourself. You just lent a hand for reasons of your own, in a way that anybody really could've done, and that's all they define. It's a great choice for a game that's all about self-direction, that nothing else Bethesda's made has really done as well.

I respect that in Morrowind you're basically only the Nerevarine because you didn't die too quickly, but it still imparts mythic status to your character that might not sit well with you. You've totally earned it by the end through raw deeds, though, so it could still work.
Fallout 3 does pretty okay in that you're just the savior's kid and all else is undefined, although I don't think it works so well in practice.
New Vegas (counts by technicality) is kinda weird, in that you are the savior but also so totally undefined and unconnected that you just leave the Mojave to do its thing, even in the endings that really set you up to take a stable seat of power.
In Skyrim it's totally out the window, with you explicitly being a hero of legend destined to defeat the dragons, unlike anybody else in the country. You cannot be the everyman, and that sucks.
And then of course there's Fallout 4, where your character is so explicitly Shaun's Parent that it stymies all attempts at dynamic storytelling.

In almost any other game I'd say it's just fine to have a defined protagonist to some degree. But Bethesda games are so characterized by letting you do and play anything you want that I think a plot that doesn't even demand you be special is the way to go.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Caphi posted:

A weird one from Final Fantasy XV: if you change the text language from English, it also changes the distances to map markers from miles and feet to km and m, and the measurements of fish you catch to cm and g.
I like this. I always include U.S. measurements for metric stuff that comes up in my J-E translations, though I'm not sure they end up being used. I figure if you need the spoken language turned into something you can understand, you can probably stand to have the measurements converted, too.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Only after posting do I realize how Americentric I've been considering the game would originally have been in metric for the Japanese and they probably had to add the feature in localization to make it Imperial in English alone. It's still very nice of them, though!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caphi posted:

Only after posting do I realize how Americentric I've been considering the game would originally have been in metric for the Japanese and they probably had to add the feature in localization to make it Imperial in English alone. It's still very nice of them, though!

Not for those of us in non-American English-speaking countries. We want it in Metric too, dammit! :negative:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Caphi posted:

They aren't doing us any favors by coddling us like this.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

BioEnchanted posted:

Everyone shits on Brutal Legend for turning into an RTS halfway through and becoming really hard at the same time, and while the latter is true, they could have just made it's nature more obvious by introducing it earlier and more definitively - by wrapping it in Action Game fare they confused the issue (plus my - well documented by now on these forums- distate for Eddie's character derailment in his treatment of Ophelia).

Think about it: Eddie Riggs is a roadie - his job is to direct bands from behind the scenes and make sure that they're sets go well - in a RTS setting he is literally Roadieing the battles themselves - staying out of sight, supporting the main players without overshadowing them, etc. RTS actually made the most sense - they should have made Eddie combat a last ditch resort - something you only did when backed into a corner. That way when the boss battles started we would have at least been prepared to play the way the game completely failed to teach us to play - like a roadie.

My Little Thing is how much more sense the premise made under scrutiny.

Brutal Legend also had one of the best soundtracks in gaming. Over 100 tracks of meticulously cultivated metal. I played through mad max with this soundtrack blasting and it made it 10 times better.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0DD7AFF2F861CA97

3 Inches of Blood - Deadly Sinners
https://youtu.be/Q4aagDSM9fY

Prong - Snap Your Fingers Snap Your Neck
https://youtu.be/S1PAHlddHww

Budgie - In For The Kill
https://youtu.be/VG7e3-jm3UU

Children of Bodom - Angels Don't Kill
https://youtu.be/HwfF9H2hzAE

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Because an outline of Fallout 3's plot made me realize it, I just want to point out one of my favorite things about Oblivion that none of Bethesda's games really did before or after to my knowledge:

You are not the savior. You're not even special (ignoring the debatable point of CHIM). You're just there, and helpful.

I think that direction is great for a game like what Bethesda makes, because it imparts absolutely no importance on your character that you don't decide for yourself. You just lent a hand for reasons of your own, in a way that anybody really could've done, and that's all they define. It's a great choice for a game that's all about self-direction, that nothing else Bethesda's made has really done as well.

I respect that in Morrowind you're basically only the Nerevarine because you didn't die too quickly, but it still imparts mythic status to your character that might not sit well with you. You've totally earned it by the end through raw deeds, though, so it could still work.
Fallout 3 does pretty okay in that you're just the savior's kid and all else is undefined, although I don't think it works so well in practice.
New Vegas (counts by technicality) is kinda weird, in that you are the savior but also so totally undefined and unconnected that you just leave the Mojave to do its thing, even in the endings that really set you up to take a stable seat of power.
In Skyrim it's totally out the window, with you explicitly being a hero of legend destined to defeat the dragons, unlike anybody else in the country. You cannot be the everyman, and that sucks.
And then of course there's Fallout 4, where your character is so explicitly Shaun's Parent that it stymies all attempts at dynamic storytelling.

In almost any other game I'd say it's just fine to have a defined protagonist to some degree. But Bethesda games are so characterized by letting you do and play anything you want that I think a plot that doesn't even demand you be special is the way to go.

In Daggerfall you're basically just a really tenacious postman

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

In Daggerfall you're basically just a really tenacious postman

I can't believe Daggerfall would plagiarize New Vegas like that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I thought in Oblivion you were special because through Fate you were placed in the cell that was always supposed to be empty?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Skyrim you're only the Dragonborn if you do the first few missions of the main quest, otherwise you're just some nobody that ran away from a dragon once

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i liked the guild quest in oblivion that lets you revist your cell in the castle and confront the dark elf who was giving you poo poo earlier.

that and the murder mansion quest for the dark brotherhood.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Complaining about being a hero in an RPG about heroic fantasy is like complaining about being a shooter instead of an admin clerk in a CoD game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Internet Wizard posted:

Complaining about being a hero in an RPG about heroic fantasy is like complaining about being a shooter instead of an admin clerk in a CoD game.

Plenty of shooters feature main characters that aren't decorated soliders.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Len posted:

I thought in Oblivion you were special because through Fate you were placed in the cell that was always supposed to be empty?

There was a mod that gave the emperor a random chance of saying "your eyes, they're... wrong. Then the stars were wrong, and this is not the day. Guards, kill the prisoner"

I dunno why it exists but I'm glad it does

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Guy Mann posted:

Plenty of shooters feature main characters that aren't decorated soliders.

Just like there are plenty of RPGs that aren't about being a hero. "I wish this game was not this game" is just ridiculous.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

This is the complimenting game things thread where people point stuff out like that and go 'I think that was kinda neat'

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

It was a usual mixup with the Watch.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Morrowind is a great twist on the whole "destined hero" plot; you're only the Nerevarine because you meet the basic requirement of the right birthdate, so The Government essentially forces you to gain the qualities of the Nerevarine so you'll fulfil the prophecy in a way that is useful to them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

It was a usual mixup with the Watch.

Oblivion wiki also says the emperor saw you in a dream

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Who What Now posted:

They aren't doing us any favors by coddling us like this.

Favors like translating the game?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Re: Titan Quest, I was indeed referring to Dream. Coupled with warfare, you become an invincible whirlwind of death, or at least it did when I played last. Sucks if they rebalanced it though.

As for my favorite little things, I just got around to playing Wolfenstein the New Order and it has a few of those. It's a kickass shooter and single player game at a time when every other shooter considers single player content to be a secondary goal. It supports several different play styles, such as stealth, cover/iron sights, or gently caress-it-I'm-Rambo akimbo machine guns. And, you can freely use any of those styles. Cover's blown? Switch from your silenced pistol to dual auto shotguns!

When being sneaky, you can use throwing knives that eliminate most enemies silently with a single knife. Most enemies. Out of curiosity I threw a knife at an armored enemy carrying a giant laser Gatling gun. Most games would do one of two things. Either the knife magically kills him, or it does damage but takes more than one knife. Not this game. The ricocheted off him and slid down the hallway, giving me just long enough to grin before he turned and blasted me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Enigma posted:

Re: Titan Quest, I was indeed referring to Dream. Coupled with warfare, you become an invincible whirlwind of death, or at least it did when I played last. Sucks if they rebalanced it though.

On the one hand that sounds cool -

But on the other hand I'm glad they rebalanced it? My immediate urge when I leveled up was that I wanted to play with Storm because throwing lightning is so cool, and to find out that it's balanced so I'm not gimping myself by taking something other than Dream/Warfare is good.

Also, if you haven't, I'd rec playing the Anniversary edition - it's got a lot of quality of life improvements, just on a GUI angle that are really nice.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Action Tortoise posted:

i liked the guild quest in oblivion that lets you revist your cell in the castle and confront the dark elf who was giving you poo poo earlier.

that and the murder mansion quest for the dark brotherhood.

The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quest lines were so drat good they deserved to be in a better game.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There was a mod that gave the emperor a random chance of saying "your eyes, they're... wrong. Then the stars were wrong, and this is not the day. Guards, kill the prisoner"

I dunno why it exists but I'm glad it does

I'm curious what mod that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay I've logged over 24 hours in Saints Row IV and I only just now noticed the shark with a pimp hat and gold teeth.

Every so often I start to think "well the city's not as good as SR2 or San Andreas", etc., then it throws something like that at me. I'm not sure it's the best sandbox game but it is the purest time waster of them all.