Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So they spent the first 5 seasons in the general Atlanta area. And now they've moved to the general DC area. So what happened to the Carolinas and Virginia? Are we to expect that they passed three whole states without incident? Were there absolutely no settlements or defensible locations between the two areas for them to find? With how no one in series seems to remember that maps exist I can't believe they managed to not get lost and somehow end up in Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

galagazombie posted:

So they spent the first 5 seasons in the general Atlanta area. And now they've moved to the general DC area. So what happened to the Carolinas and Virginia? Are we to expect that they passed three whole states without incident? Were there absolutely no settlements or defensible locations between the two areas for them to find? With how no one in series seems to remember that maps exist I can't believe they managed to not get lost and somehow end up in Texas.

They went from Atlanta to DC for a specific reason.. That reason turned out to be a lie, but it was at least implied that they traveled straight through. They weren't just heading north looking for a place and finally found something in DC. As far as not finding any settlements along the way, that seems about right. I would imagine they took a direct route and I doubt anyone with a major group or settlement would place it next to such a potentially well traveled interstate. I'm sure there were lots of highwaymen along the way which could lead to an interesting side story, but for what ever reason the writers chose to ignore that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I doubt the highways are useable. It's like 600 miles. Even on back roads you are talking less than two days.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

galagazombie posted:

They essentially flash forwarded all that travel which was pretty lame.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

They essentially flash forwarded all that travel which was pretty lame.

Like posted just above, even in zombie apocalypse land, that trip is no longer than a week, likely. Especially because they were dead set on getting to D.C.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Shitenshi posted:

Don't know if this was posted already, but JDM already announced Negan is gonna be back for Season 8. Have fun, dipshits.

You could become a comic book reader, and you won't be as melodramatic. That's what I did at the end of season 6, and it double-renewed my faith in the show (coming off of a season 4-6 catchup after quitting at 4.5). I don't know how far they plan to take the negan plot this season, but there is a genuine poo poo ton of content to go through and you don't want them to skip it. I don't know how I feel about filler episodes because they seem to take showtime away from the real plot, but at least they aren't advancing past certain events. *cough* guts

Seriously though if you show watchers don't quit bitching, I'm gonna not like reading your posts. Ok?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
There's a lot of great discussion on Reddit about Tara's "hooters" and how pregnancy makes them bigger? Do you want to talk about that?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

As a comic book reader, I still think it's drawn out. I'd guess that everything from No Way Out until the end of the Negan arc is 1.5 seasons, maybe 2 at best, and I'm guessing they're going for 2.5. And speaking of the comics, why don't they just make some chemical weapon that will make the Whisperers cough? Maybe set up a water tower that will tumble down on them and wash away their zombie stench, unless the skinsuit is too good for that? Maybe both? Even if both are bad ideas, I'm surprised it took so long before anyone resorted to doing anything other than open combat with a Whisperer inside a megahorde (stealing skinsuits).

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 2, 2016

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
^ They seem to do 10-15 issues per season, so if we get guts before/as the MSF, I'd be pumped. second half of the season would have a good pace with possible resolution, or at least a perfect set up going into season 8. But yeah we're on episode 6 of 16, and I feel like they've only wrapped up the ending of season 6 and barely started into what I would have expected to see at the various town plots.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't see negan being dealt with until the end of the second half season. Just like The governor.

They sure are setting up lots and lots of plot lines.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Eyochigan posted:

*cough* guts

Totally forgot about that! That'll probably be a spike in ratings, haha.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

galagazombie posted:

They stopped by Noah's community on the way, didn't they?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Eyochigan posted:

You could become a comic book reader, and you won't be as melodramatic.
The comic is childish shite.

quote:

Seriously though if you show watchers
Quit this stupid piece at the start of the season when it was confirmed that Gimple and Kirkman are huge twats milking this thing for all its worth.

quote:

I'm gonna not like reading your posts. Ok?
:cawg:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Johnny Truant posted:

Totally forgot about that! That'll probably be a spike in ratings, haha.

You mean its gonna get hated on for 'being too violent'
I really, reaaaally hope they do it justice because that's my favorite point in the comics period

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

There's a lot of great discussion on Reddit about Tara's "hooters" and how pregnancy makes them bigger? Do you want to talk about that?

Hooters, huh

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Just watched the terrible, terrible episode and I see this and how I'm dying. :lol: this makes life worth living.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Weren't Terminus and the Bad Cop Hospital on their journey North?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Character 1: "We don't kill people."
Character 2: "Yes we do."

-Every single loving walking dead episode ever.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
So, realistically, how many of you would actually forget to count your bullets and have that moment where you look stupidly at your gun realizing that it is, indeed, out of ammo? Because six years into the apocalypse is a little bit long to learn how to count I think

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dalael posted:

Yeah.. Just wait 'til those guys come in their longboats and attack Paris.

Oh wait, thats Vikings.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...flKAwMQ8gEIezAP

:owned:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

JustinMorgan posted:

Weren't Terminus and the Bad Cop Hospital on their journey North?

Those were still in the Atlanta area; they didn't head north until Beth's suicide by cop, and even then, Noah's community was in Richmond, VA IIRC.

I honestly lost interest in this show with all the dragging plots out, but I still like reading this thread for a laugh/to see what opinions are. Honestly, axeing Darabont was the stupidest move this show made. I rewatched a few S1 episodes, and the discrepancy is just ridiculous. You guys remember Rick's conflict with the Vatos gang over the bag of guns/hostage exchange for Glenn? Sure, 'oh, they're actually defending a nursing home, they're okay guys!' might have been a touch hokey, but they wrapped that poo poo up in a single episode. If they did that episode now, it'd be 4-5 episodes of:

'Give us the guns!'
'No! Give us Glenn back!'
'No way ese.'

Then Rick, T-Dog and Daryl brood/contemplate the decision for two episodes while staring blearily into the middle distance. Also Darabont had them wrap things up rather cordially, nowadays, they'd probably be raping all the old folks and high on opiates at all times, and Rick's group would leave no survivors.

I guess what I'm saying is, can't Rick's crew ever have an encounter with another survivor group that isn't evil, morally dubious, or outright useless?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

LadyPictureShow posted:

I guess what I'm saying is, can't Rick's crew ever have an encounter with another survivor group that isn't evil, morally dubious, or outright useless?

The entire show is based around them going from place to place loving things up for other people.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

The Fear crew has literally hosed up and probably murdered 99% of the settlements they've run into, and will probably be 100% when it comes back. It's really hilarious because they are trying to copy the WD formula, except they're doing it on like week one/two so you get hilarious stuff like a hostage exchange where they just immediately murder everyone with zombies rather than even try or them feeding the military to a horde of walkers based on bad information they got out of torture, while the military was actually trying to help. Or Feeding the person who runs a house that took them all into walkers because.. she wasn't nice to them. Really they feed a lot of people to walkers, I guess. One of the only reasons I keep watching it, to see people make even worse decisions than Rick by a magnitude when Rick makes some AWFUL decisions.

AMC really needs some smarter writers but as long as they're making money they won't bother.

PS: If they ever want to totally redeem Fear they should acknowledge how psychopathic they made the main characters (the writers don't seem to get it) and make them the next villains after Negan. At their current rate, 5-6 years later, they will be the most villainous people in the wasteland.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

spudsbuckley posted:

The entire show is based around them going from place to place loving things up for other people.

Well, yeah, but I mean Hershel's master plan was zombie containment in barn, Woodbury had execution squads/torture rooms, Marinez's camp was doing okay until Solid Gov showed up, Terminus ate people, the hospital had some creepy rapey indentured servitude stuff going on (but they wanted no poo poo once the bad cops were dealt with), Noah's place was wiped out by the Wolves, Alexandria and Hilltop seem like a bunch of dumb, mostly useless wusses. Negan squad is into bashing heads, torture, and taking stuff. I guess the Kingdom might be okay, as Renn Faire as it is.

I just mean, where exactly is like, the 'other Rick groups', competent survivors that they maybe pass by without that whole group ending up slaughtered aside from a few B-characters that join their squad for like, eight episodes. They never just like, run into a different group for an episode then part ways, with those other survivors going on to god only knows what.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

As I sat down to watch the episode finally last night, I thought to myself "you know what this show needs? More characters. There just aren't enough characters." Needless to say, I was not disappointed.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The only thing that has been holding TWD back is how few character storylines there are to follow. Luckily it seems the talented writers over at TWD are figuring out how to solve that.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I'm the adoring audience.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LadyPictureShow posted:

Those were still in the Atlanta area; they didn't head north until Beth's suicide by cop, and even then, Noah's community was in Richmond, VA IIRC.

I honestly lost interest in this show with all the dragging plots out, but I still like reading this thread for a laugh/to see what opinions are. Honestly, axeing Darabont was the stupidest move this show made. I rewatched a few S1 episodes, and the discrepancy is just ridiculous. You guys remember Rick's conflict with the Vatos gang over the bag of guns/hostage exchange for Glenn? Sure, 'oh, they're actually defending a nursing home, they're okay guys!' might have been a touch hokey, but they wrapped that poo poo up in a single episode. If they did that episode now, it'd be 4-5 episodes of:

'Give us the guns!'
'No! Give us Glenn back!'
'No way ese.'

Then Rick, T-Dog and Daryl brood/contemplate the decision for two episodes while staring blearily into the middle distance. Also Darabont had them wrap things up rather cordially, nowadays, they'd probably be raping all the old folks and high on opiates at all times, and Rick's group would leave no survivors.

Even Season 2 which is slow as hell and widely criticized when it aired feels miles more sophisticated and interesting then what we are getting now. I mean there were whole episodes on the Farm where noting really happened but at least there weren't a 20 characters we were randomly shifting back and forth to. The group actually had a dynamic to it and people weren't just blindly following Rick. As soap operaish as the Rick/Shane/Lori thing was I can't think of something in later seasons that actually added as much inter group drama to the show. Heck Carol murdered Tyreses' girlfriend and he forgave her in one episode! And most importantly it was just season 2... the show still had a lot of room to grow... Then we all cut the show some slack for an imperfect season 3 because they had a new showrunner. Then we did the same thing for Season 4 when they hired Gimple...

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

A lot of the secondary characters would just be recurring background characters on any other show, and we'd be going "Oh, hey, it's him again" like we can do when Eric or Olivia appears in a crowd scene. I think some of it might be fueled by giving characters something to do in order to have a reason to keep the actors on the payroll.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

This, but for an entire storyarc

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

PS: If they ever want to totally redeem Fear they should acknowledge how psychopathic they made the main characters (the writers don't seem to get it)
I'm pretty sure the writers know what they did and it was intentional, they're just really really bad at conveying that this was their intention because they're either not talented enough to pull the story line off or they don't care because the show's turning a profit anyway.

That's why one of the main characters pretty much told his family to gently caress off because he recognizes how toxic they are halfway through season 2. And how Travis and Madison just sort of accept their own psychotic degeneracy in the season finale instead of saying "hey maybe we should rethink how we handle situations." I'm pretty sure the writers are building them up to be villains and are aware of it, I just wish they'd do a better job at it.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 3, 2016

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I was wondering why I didn't remember any of the "Previously on the Walking Dead" clips in this episode, and then remembered I got so bored with season 6 that I just stopped watching halfway through.

Stickin with it just to see Neegan die in some hilarious way.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Probably isn't happening this season

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

ProbablyDefinitely isn't happening this season

There we go.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Nothing seems to matter on this show. Negan was hyped for 2 seasons and now he is on the show and people just want to see him dead and move on to the next thing.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Nothing seems to matter on this show. Negan was hyped for 2 seasons and now he is on the show and people just want to see him dead and move on to the next thing.

I don't want to see Negan dead, I want some loving backstory on him. That would be a lot more satisfying than 70 uninterrupted minutes of The Return Of Heath and Tara.
So far we've only seen Negan interacting with Rick and Co. so it's the same cartoony schtick over and over.
How did he become the leader of this huge group of men who look like bikers but follow him around like baby ducks. What was he doing before the zombie apocalypse that positioned him to not only survive but thrive and be so good at manipulation through degradation. How does he behave when not on the prowl? How is he able to vacillate between rational, strict control of the command structure and then joking and swinging a bat like some deranged homicidal maniac? Are all his 'wives' sitting around in comfort like a harem or chained up in a dungeon?

Yes Negan was hyped for 2 seasons and here we are 6 episodes into the season and still know almost nothing about him except: he's dangerous. It's frustrating.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

I don't want to see Negan dead, I want some loving backstory on him. That would be a lot more satisfying than 70 uninterrupted minutes of The Return Of Heath and Tara.
So far we've only seen Negan interacting with Rick and Co. so it's the same cartoony schtick over and over.
How did he become the leader of this huge group of men who look like bikers but follow him around like baby ducks. What was he doing before the zombie apocalypse that positioned him to not only survive but thrive and be so good at manipulation through degradation. How does he behave when not on the prowl? How is he able to vacillate between rational, strict control of the command structure and then joking and swinging a bat like some deranged homicidal maniac? Are all his 'wives' sitting around in comfort like a harem or chained up in a dungeon?

Yes Negan was hyped for 2 seasons and here we are 6 episodes into the season and still know almost nothing about him except: he's dangerous. It's frustrating.

For a show that seems desperate to be "about the characters" this seems like a huge missing gap. It's like "Lost" but without any actual compelling story arc. We spend entire episodes showcasing a character's current existential crisis, and then kill them off immediately with so little pay off. I would love to see a lot more about what certain people were doing before the zombies, and during the initial crisis.

Have we actually gotten that for anyone? I have very vague recollections of seeing Rick's pre-zombie life, and maybe one flashback about Michonne? Did we get that for the Governor? Anyone else at all?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bucswabe posted:

I would love to see a lot more about what certain people were doing before the zombies, and during the initial crisis.

gently caress you don't say that poo poo out loud. If they thought they could get away with it, half this show would be flashbacks to before zombies.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

gently caress you don't say that poo poo out loud. If they thought they could get away with it, half this show would be flashbacks to before zombies.

I'll grant that we probably couldn't count on it being executed competently, but conceptually, is it any worse than half the things we've been given over the past few seasons? Beth's adventures in the hospital, Tara hanging out at the women's camp, Karl and Enid roller skating... I'll take a clip of Rosita working at her accounting firm over any of that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

Episode tonight is a Heathisode