Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Has anyone said "me, OP" yet?

It's you. You're the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Re: internet detectives... I think it was funny and acceptable during P-p-powerbook, and when we sent a pizza to Joe Biden's house, but bullshit like this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-22214511

... quickly made it unacceptable and not funny at all. Earlier itt I asked for a link to the Boomerjinx saga, and on re-reading it I realized I'd forgotten how hosed up it was that he got his Reddit buddies to witch hunt a woman --- who didn't even work for the video game company anymore --- and they were blowing up her phone with rape threats. Over a loving Jeep with some dings in it.

Everybody wants to be Batman, but they all need to take a cue from Spider-man and remember that with great power comes great responsibility.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I remember F5ing one thread from around 08-09 where someone was posting creepy poo poo (maybe underage dating or some such) and posters were all over it.

They found the town, did surveillance, got local cops involved and mods put bans on hold until the poster included enough information to hang himself.

Was surprisingly fast. I can't remember all the details but I want to say it was in the UK?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Booger Presley posted:

I remember F5ing one thread from around 08-09 where someone was posting creepy poo poo (maybe underage dating or some such) and posters were all over it.

They found the town, did surveillance, got local cops involved and mods put bans on hold until the poster included enough information to hang himself.

Was surprisingly fast. I can't remember all the details but I want to say it was in the UK?

Was this wetlegs(can't remember the number he used at the end of his username)? He posted some sort of online greeting card maker in gbs, in hopes of starting some Goon Internet Hilarity, and it was swiftly discovered that he was, in fact, a pedophile.

Took less than a week, I think. Gid, it was glorious :allears: I don't necessarily condone internet detectiving for most things, but if you're loving kids, I think you deserve it.

Edit: if it helps, this was January of 2009, I believe.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

... quickly made it unacceptable and not funny at all. Earlier itt I asked for a link to the Boomerjinx saga, and on re-reading it I realized I'd forgotten how hosed up it was that he got his Reddit buddies to witch hunt a woman --- who didn't even work for the video game company anymore --- and they were blowing up her phone with rape threats. Over a loving Jeep with some dings in it.

Oh man, I forgot about that whole mess; Boomerjinx is a huge piece of poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Was this wetlegs(can't remember the number he used at the end of his username)? He posted some sort of online greeting card maker in gbs, in hopes of starting some Goon Internet Hilarity, and it was swiftly discovered that he was, in fact, a pedophile.

Took less than a week, I think. Gid, it was glorious :allears: I don't necessarily condone internet detectiving for most things, but if you're loving kids, I think you deserve it.

Edit: if it helps, this was January of 2009, I believe.

That guy who also photoshopped himself as a dog? I think that's in the "Helldump Success Stories" thread somewhere in the goldmines that I can't find right now for some reason

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

WebDog really was one of the greatest sagas of the CAD threads.

Like WebDog the goon? What'd he do?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
who was the guy that creeped on every single goonette on that SA facebook thing?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Kelp Me! posted:

Like WebDog the goon? What'd he do?

Goons got insanely obsessed with a thoroughly mediocre cartoonist they claimed to hate, and a lot of people spent all their free time talking about just how bad he was and how much they did not enjoy reading his comics. It's true, he is very bad, but most people would look at it and say "This is bad!" and then forget it existed. Goons sustained several huge megathreads based on talking poo poo about this guy, waiting eagerly for the next comic so they could pick apart how terrible it was, and in the downtimes digging up every single thing they could find about his personal life.

WebDog was the chief internet detective behind most of the Tim Buckley witch hunts, which eventually progressed to finding the dude's family on Facebook and his address and all kinds of unsavory, pointless poo poo.

Grandmother of Five posted:

who was the guy that creeped on every single goonette on that SA facebook thing?

Loosechanj, and I want to say he was a mod at the time?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Grandmother of Five posted:

mod LooseChanj.

There was a screenshot that was posted in threads like these for years. Eventually someone posted it in a QCS thread I think and this happened:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=92578

e: apparently not years. I just seem to remember it being "common knowledge" long before the ban :shrug:

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Dec 3, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also this showed up in my google for the pic :pwn: http://ralp.net/img/mylittleloosechanjy.jpg :wtf:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Powaqoatse posted:

also this showed up in my google for the pic :pwn: http://ralp.net/img/mylittleloosechanjy.jpg :wtf:

Was ralp a brony?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
^thanks

overall i'd say that creepy doxxing stuff and creeping on goonettes stuff has become less acceptable, but big megathreads, especially the mocking threads, end up with these super insular, like incestuous mini-communities of people who are straight up obsessed with topic matters that they have posted literally thousands of times about over several years.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

the future is WOW posted:

Oh man, I forgot about that whole mess; Boomerjinx is a huge piece of poo poo.

He still posts his car cosplays regularly in the cosplay thread too.

Unrelated: does the Online Dating Game count as a "Goon Invasion"? That was from back in my cheapskate lurking days, but is still like, top 5 funniest goon moments.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Thread-specific culture can be pretty great (i.e. the derail bird in the Bad With Money thread in BFC) but yeah it can get incredibly toxic and predatory.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

it was so nice when there were multiple male goons calling my parents' house and harassing them and me when I was 15 :keke:

I was a bad poster but I was also a teenage girl and I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything terrible enough to deserve that kind of poo poo

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Why would you post your phone number on the forums

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

The Snoo posted:

it was so nice when there were multiple male goons calling my parents' house and harassing them and me when I was 15 :keke:

I was a bad poster but I was also a teenage girl and I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything terrible enough to deserve that kind of poo poo

yeah, that's messed up. i think there was a period when both doxxing stuff and creeping on goonettes was just like a largely accepted thing to happen. as i remember it, pretty much any e/n, ask/tell or story-driven thread would end up with the OP getting doxxed or attempted doxxed at some point, and if goons found out someone were a goonette then they'd get extra creepy on top of the regular creepiness of diggin up people's personal info.

some goon (i don't know who) sent me a letter, just to point out that they "knew who i was". whoever bothered to do it sent the letter from the US to my then address in denmark. mild stuff compared to yours & others, but wildly inappropriate still

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

^ euugh that's so grody! so glad they really don't allow that anymore.

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Why would you post your phone number on the forums

I never posted my parents' number but I did post our address in one of the 'send me cards!!' threads back in the day.

I did meet a lot of cool people here, including my husband, but also a lot of gross, weird and lovely people.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I Said No posted:

nah internet detective antics were banned long before that
i'm mostly just guessing but i figure it's because people would dig up info of people over every little thing, like get noticed at all for any reason and some rat will sniff out all your info and post them up and it's just not something you want going on because of how hideously douchey it is
considering the poo poo other online communities do these days with doxxing and swatting, stamping it out early was the best thing to do

I feel like it goes back to the last days of DPPH, etc. and the homegrown that would pop up and the doxxing and harassing that followed.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

we are the Funyuns posted:

I feel like it goes back to the last days of DPPH, etc. and the homegrown that would pop up and the doxxing and harassing that followed.

Helldump also. I don't remember if the safari rule/no forum invasions was in place while Helldump was alive but doxxing in its early form was alive and well.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Snoo posted:

Was a bad poster?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Casimir Radon posted:

Was a bad poster?

Has a better avatar at least

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I don't recall Helldump ever digging up anyone's address and phone number but they always did basically summon up someone's entire internet presence somehow. I remember always wondering how the gently caress Crumbunist knew where to look and how to link poo poo together to just assemble a portfolio on basically anyone he wanted really drat quickly.

Recall Helldump basically turning into a playground for the regulars too, like anyone outside of Crumbunist, Boniface and a couple of others, anyone posting there would be told to gently caress off in short order.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Crumbunist was the one that was basically the internet detective big brother right? Always watching and he knew everything you'd ever done online?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

The Snoo posted:

Thankfully I never had anything like that happen, but I was barraged with racial slurs AND accusations that I was only pretending to be black, which was bewildering.

VanSandman posted:

Crumbunist was the one that was basically the internet detective big brother right? Always watching and he knew everything you'd ever done online?

Honestly, I read a loooooottttt of Helldump back in the day and I'm pretty sure Crumbunist just had really good Google/Tineye-fu, a fantastic forums memory, and a Helldump tab open at all times. He was fast and thorough, but I don't think I ever saw him post anything of truly inexplicable origin.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

purple death ray posted:

Has a better avatar at least

You don't like green day?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

purple death ray posted:

WebDog was the chief internet detective behind most of the Tim Buckley witch hunts, which eventually progressed to finding the dude's family on Facebook and his address and all kinds of unsavory, pointless poo poo.
The mock threads are not something I'm proud of doing in retrospect. It was a pretty pathetic exercise in showing off my google-fu as there was no productive result to any of it. Even as a "character study".
And no I never went looking for his address or contacted family members. There are plenty of others who do that.

we are the Funyuns posted:

SA had a reputation of mocking online communities and personalities that goes way back to it's early days so it's hard not to have spent years on this forum and not feel compelled to take cheap shots at online personalities as it was "the norm".

Stuff like helldump did do a lot to influence what I did. The "norm" there was to get the hooks in and google that person's username to pull up awkward postings to embarrass them. But it got pretty crap as beyond the "good ones" like Pastor Travis or WetLegs the forum soon devolved into "I don't like this poster...I'll try and find something awkward to slug them with" and it got pretty boring.

VanSandman posted:

Many of his pics came out of PYF threads or the goon yearbook.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Crumbunist made some good music recommendations to me back in the day, so he's okay in my book

Also if I recall he had either death race or dagwood sandwich reference avatars

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Helldump was actually a positive influence on me in that it forced me to actually think about my internet presence and not link every single embarrassing thing I've ever done to my SA username.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I Said No posted:

I don't recall Helldump ever digging up anyone's address and phone number but they always did basically summon up someone's entire internet presence somehow. I remember always wondering how the gently caress Crumbunist knew where to look and how to link poo poo together to just assemble a portfolio on basically anyone he wanted really drat quickly.

Recall Helldump basically turning into a playground for the regulars too, like anyone outside of Crumbunist, Boniface and a couple of others, anyone posting there would be told to gently caress off in short order.

Nah, hell dump got really, really into some people's info. For awhile Helldump was where LF would go to make fun of rightwing posters. There was one guy ( sky shark or Czar) who had about 2 or 3 active callout threads at all times with LF just hammering him. They eventually got property records showing he had bought his house for 5 dollars from his father in law and a bunch of tax records. All of these were public records, but you had to really look deep in some archives to find them. It was pretty creepy to do over just political differences.

My favorite callout thread was when someone from the diving sub forum got an insanely technical, detailed call out from another diver . It was something like " Goon Diver 666 only submerge dives with a psi 134 mask " with the other goon responding in kind with an equally technical comeback. It quickly devolved into just the two of them slap fighting over diving with all the HD superstars just looking on kind of baffled, trying to figure out who to call a human being.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Helldump was good but it didn't have enough good content to sustain an entire subforum. I really miss the goons.txt .docx .odt .jpg .png threads for just collecting dumb poo poo goons said and did. I think nowadays if somebody says something dumb or lovely they're way more likely to just be called out in the same thread which results in a lot of choice goonsay being hard to find.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

purple death ray posted:

Helldump was good but it didn't have enough good content to sustain an entire subforum. I really miss the goons.txt .docx .odt .jpg .png threads for just collecting dumb poo poo goons said and did. I think nowadays if somebody says something dumb or lovely they're way more likely to just be called out in the same thread which results in a lot of choice goonsay being hard to find.

yeah they'll possibly get called out in the thread

if not though:
- this thread
- https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT
- quotes thread
- the entire fyad forum
- random threads that have nothing to do with anything
- something sensitive/sass
- i think theres also a reddit forum about us?

ps this wasnt a callout. the real callout is on https://www.gooncallouts.com

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

purple death ray posted:

There's always the goons.txt twitter, I guess

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

purple death ray posted:

The SCOFF manifesto thread in PHIZ is basically just goons.txt for the modern age. It's wonderful.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Helldump wasn't any better or worse than the forums at large at the time, i think, it just had a theme and was more condensed. you'd find the weird call-out and doxxing stuff sporadically all over the forums. iirc, DPPH was around years before Helldump was, and SA was around for like half a decade before Helldump, and people did plenty of weird, more or less justified call-outs back then. imo, i'd say that the further you go back, the more accepted call-out stuff, including doxxing was.

like, iirc, DPPH had a sub-community of people who were super into collecting not just goon amateur porn, but painstakingly collecting hundreds of completely innocuous profile picture of goonettes, and the kind of call-outs that were part of that were creepier than helldump ever was. i wouldn't be surprised if torrents with goon porn and archives of username/profile pics combos are still out there, being curated by some of the die-hard super creeps of the past.

i mean, Helldump could cross the line & there were both weirdos who did call-outs and weirdos who got called out on, but i don't think it really stood out that much. the creeps that crept and the creeps that got crept on didn't spring from nothing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

were helldump and dpph really concurrent? i remember the former but i never experienced SA as.. a.... porn-hub :geno:

my earliest forums memories are p much just GBS but 1337

I do remember that there was a period where "checking profile pics" to see if the OP was a goonette was bannable

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

nah, you're right. the porn and filesharing forums got closed down before helldump got made. i was just trying to say that weirdo call-outs and doxxing happened way before Helldump and was never confined to it, not least because of dpph (the porn forum) which was closed before helldump was made. Helldump had some interesting and weirdly fascinating stuff, and stuff that crossed the line, but it really wasn't unique imo with internet-detective stuff, it just had a distinct theme.

imo despite how weirdly fascinating the stuff can be, stuff really has changed for the better with doxxing and general creepy stuff having gradually become less acceptable

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There used to be a goons.zip file of homegrown pictures I can only assumed was assembled from dpph.

Nothing exciting unless 640x480 fuzzy webcams of posters you've never heard of is your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

People remember the successful helldump threads some of which were funny. However, the rest so like 90% of the forum was trash and while every subforum has its own ratio of signal to noise, the noise of helldump was extremely bad because of the subject matter. It didn't help that like half of the people that posted there sooner or later got threads created about themselves and rightfully so because helldump would draw in a certain type of goon.