Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Who said that retaliate meta is dead?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_wvN7BJcBw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Introduce a Beastmaster class and give it to like Gau, Guy and Serah and so forth. Make chocobos and behemoths and such recruitable. Monsters only get record synergy if someone with Beastmaster 5 is in the party. Most Beastmaster skills should be buffs for monster types.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
"Dear rando in my 160 Diff multiplayer", a short story:

I see that you have Protectga on your Tyro.
This is cool.
I'll just switch my white mage Slowga, since nobody else has Slow.
I am unsure about pairing it with Steal Defense, but who am I to judge?
Opening the fight with it is a bold move, but at least we'll do more damage early on.
I would love that Protectga eventually, though.
That Sentinel Grimoire is cool, thanks.
Ok, we probably didn't need to refresh the Steal Defense now.
Why are you defending?
Oh, now you're paralyzed.
That's ok, we got an Esuna, here buddy!
Please stop using Steal Defense.
Please start using Protectga.
Oh my god, you're actually using it. THANK YOU.
Oh, you're dead now.
Have an Curaise.
YOU DIDN'T FINISH CASTING IT WHY ARE YOU GOING FOR STEAL DEFENSE AGAIN.
One of us even has Vaan BSB, we have Def Breakdown for days.
Sigh, at least you're refreshing that SG.
Please stop using Steal Defense
WHY IS THAT RANK 5 IN THE FIRST PLACE?
Have you ever considered that everyone around you is spamming . . . on purpose?
We're at 50% Boss health now, and it'd be nice to get that Protectga before the AoE spam starts.
oh, here's the AoE spam
Please stop using Steal Defense
you're dead again
gee, I wonder why
oh my god
why

:negative:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I managed to scrounge up 50 mythril to draw for that first FF3 banner. I only drew 1 rainbow, but it was the Onion Knight sword. Looks okay.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Charles Bukowski posted:

I managed to scrounge up 50 mythril to draw for that first FF3 banner. I only drew 1 rainbow, but it was the Onion Knight sword. Looks okay.

It's pretty good, really. Really strong damage when you're in the 9+ hits range, and wallbreak is always handy.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Evil Fluffy posted:

What version(s) use these dumb names and not the superior names from the SNES?

GBA and beyond. There's only really two renditions of FF6's script, officially - the one Woolsey did for the SNES (which got reused on the PSX) and the one someone else did for the GBA (which got reused on mobile/Steam).

Which means that's what the iOS version uses, and since Global FFRK slobs all over mobile FF5/6's knob, we'd be stuck with that poo poo instead of Kumama and Kutan.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 3, 2016

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

I'd like to tackle the mote dungeons before they go away for a while, but I haven't done any of them yet. Can I get a rating of least to most difficult?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Zebia posted:

I'd like to tackle the mote dungeons before they go away for a while, but I haven't done any of them yet. Can I get a rating of least to most difficult?
Easiest: Dahaka
Magus Sisters (Bring RW Turk Bombshell and a mage team and they can do nothing)
Red Soul
Ahriman
Hardest: Ifrit (GOOD LUCK)

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Dahaka is definitely the easiest. It's a little rng dependent, but you can stagger it with attacks and render it harmless for 2-3 turns at a time!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Ifrit really is still an unholy motherfucker, especially with mediocre 8 synergy.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I just got Zell's Combat King, I remember reading there was something rad about this some time ago, still true? I also picked up the Lust Dagger, which I also saw mentioned a few times.

My current party is usually some mix of:

Ramza (Shout + Hail of Stones)
Pecil (Paladin Force)
Faris (Sea Lord's Broadside)
Squall (Lion's Roar + Mystic Flurry)
Tifa (Meteor Crusher + Dolphin Blow)

and swapping one of them for either Selphie (Dreamstage) or Yuna (Miracle Veil + Trigger Happy) for medica.

Any reason to bring in either Zell or Luneth?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

victrix posted:

I just got Zell's Combat King, I remember reading there was something rad about this some time ago, still true? I also picked up the Lust Dagger, which I also saw mentioned a few times.

It's instant cast, does 8 hits for roughly Zell's basic attack damage, and applies an ATK/DEF/RES buff to Zell that stacks with basically everything. Your BSB Tifa is probably going to be a better Monk the majority of the time, but you might consider replacing Squall with Zell if you don't need elemental coverage in a given fight and have a synergy weapon for Zell.

Zell's BSB on the other hand is disgustingly good and one of the best physical offense options in the game. It tickles me that the reason it's so good is the same reason why Zell's limit was busted in FF8, you just spam the basic command over and over super fast.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Ifrit really is still an unholy motherfucker, especially with mediocre 8 synergy.

Snowspell Strike fucks him up and is basically good for 40k damage by itself. Save all your burst for when he's low HP.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 3, 2016

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Zell's BSB animation is actually perfect, it's so drat meta

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

KataraniSword posted:

GBA and beyond. There's only really two renditions of FF6's script, officially - the one Woolsey did for the SNES (which got reused on the PSX) and the one someone else did for the GBA (which got reused on mobile/Steam).

Which means that's what the iOS version uses, and since Global FFRK slobs all over mobile FF5/6's knob, we'd be stuck with that poo poo instead of Kumama and Kutan.

I couldn't actually remember any of the moogle names, so I grabbed them off a wiki page.

Tactics Advance and Mystic Quest are gold mines of potential characters. Mystic Quest would be hilarious.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
FF3 and FF8 have my least favorite trash monsters in the game. Make them potential characters too!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to do the mote dungeons but I'm spending all my stamina grinding for more onion motes. I have no FF3 synergy except my new onion sword and I can't seem to get past the Ult+ match to get that mote. The RNG is not being kind with the grinding, I'm still 3 motes shy of unlocking everything for Onion Knight, nevermind all the 4* motes I need to actually unlock his 5* abilities. Dang.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Which stage should I frantically run to grab all the onion motes I missed out on during midterms? Also, will they ever make a reappearance? :ohdear:

Charles Bukowski posted:

I'd like to do the mote dungeons but I'm spending all my stamina grinding for more onion motes. I have no FF3 synergy except my new onion sword and I can't seem to get past the Ult+ match to get that mote. The RNG is not being kind with the grinding, I'm still 3 motes shy of unlocking everything for Onion Knight, nevermind all the 4* motes I need to actually unlock his 5* abilities. Dang.

I had luck with this setup and absolutely no FF3 synergy:
Lightning: Full Charge/Thundara Strike/Crushing Blow/Attunement II
Cloud: Blizzara Strike/Aerora Strike (ultimately useless)/Climhazzard/Finishing Touch/Battleforged
Zell: Lifebane/Lifesiphon/Combat King/Balamb Firebrand
Aeris: Shellga/Esuna (ultimately useless, prioritize protectga instead)/White Materia/Mako Might
Ramza: Full Break/Lifesiphon/Shout/Dr. Mog's Teachings

PhysicsFrenzy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 3, 2016

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Which stage should I frantically run to grab all the onion motes I missed out on during midterms? Also, will they ever make a reappearance? :ohdear:

In game said the hardest difficulty EXP dungeon in the event is more likely for them to drop.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Charles Bukowski posted:

In game said the hardest difficulty EXP dungeon in the event is more likely for them to drop.

Cheers!

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Once enough Cids are available, all Cid teams should count for Cid Missions. So far we got FF4, FF7, FF13, and FFT. 4 and T aren't out in global yet, but are coming. 13 has WHT3 but that's probably not strong enough for CMs, so one of the potential Cids would need to be a healer.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
There's a Cid in 12 but he seems more a machinist with his guns.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

There's a Cid in 12 but he seems more a machinist with his guns.

That's most Cids. He's usually an inventor and involved with airships. 13 and Tactics are the big exceptions, with 7 as a more standout twist on the template. 12 was the first time he was an antagonist rather than an ally.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I would kill for a Mystic Quest realm. Benjamin could have an OSB where he casts Cure, and it just inexplicably breaks the damage limit. You have 5 playable characters, plus the Dark King and the old-man-who-is-secretly-a-crystal-i-guess, and I think there's a Cid in that game too.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Pulling those three Ice Rods trying for Shout back in the day is kind of paying off now that I have Rinoa's burst.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

RNG decreed the other half of III shall remain SBless and OK will be a Sage of the NES days.
I can work with it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

That's most Cids. He's usually an inventor and involved with airships. 13 and Tactics are the big exceptions, with 7 as a more standout twist on the template. 12 was the first time he was an antagonist rather than an ally.

Arguably 6! He just didn't stay an antagonist.

Also, Cid 6 is probably as reasonable a candidate for WHT/MCH as any of them. It's not a strong case mind you, but I guess it's a stronger case than you could make for Cid 12. (Not saying much.)

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hoo boy, that U+ for X at 180 difficulty is a bit rough. Granted it's have been less of an issue if I had the tools to Summon-cheese it, since the biggest issue is the Physical, Black and White triggered -ga Counters but still. Let's see how much the 220 U++ wrecks me.

Edit: Oh poo poo, mastery reward for the 220 includes 5 Rosetta Stones. :eyepop:

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 3, 2016

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

wizard on a water slide posted:

He's an unholy motherfucker even with good VIII synergy, seriously, how the gently caress do you beat him? I've tried a couple different setups and I rarely get farther than 2-3 turns in before he drops someone.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Adel posted:

He's an unholy motherfucker even with good VIII synergy, seriously, how the gently caress do you beat him? I've tried a couple different setups and I rarely get farther than 2-3 turns in before he drops someone.

I've found Wall is pretty much essential for survival, along with lots of fire resist.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

CaptainPsyko posted:

Arguably 6! He just didn't stay an antagonist.

Also, Cid 6 is probably as reasonable a candidate for WHT/MCH as any of them. It's not a strong case mind you, but I guess it's a stronger case than you could make for Cid 12. (Not saying much.)

He spends a year taking care of Celes, right? That's a pretty solid argument.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Adel posted:

Use a Serah / Rinoa burst RW, everyone in back row, fire resist accessories are mandatory, faithga (witchcraft from the Halloween hat might suffice if no other option).

Use one character to summon RW and spam damage. Everyone else is breaking, buffing or healing (2 supports, 2 healers). Native wall is very helpful.

It's still painful, and nothing will help meteor spam, but this worked for me.

Also if you have access to Celes / Exdeath runics, they can be very useful for nullifying ST firagas, which can hit through wall and shell and moderate fire resist for 4-digit damage still. Magic blink is indispensable as well.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Ifrit's sky-high defenses pretty much means you need to exploit his Ice weakness to make much headway. Up until now, this meant using magic because there was no solid physical Ice option. No multi-hit abilities, no BSBs. This just changed with Squall's OSB but you're still relying on magic if you don't specifically pull it. His offense is also fast and furious so you need Fire resist on everybody and you want a source of magic blink for Meteors if at all possible. You only have the Fire resist if you've been playing long enough and you can only RW one of damage or magic blink so you want to have one natively if you can help it. I'm pretty proud of beating him "1.0" style, using nothing that was released past the time it came out, but it was close and I do have a native Hastega in the form of Cerberus, or "Counter Rockets" (never thought about it until now but wtf is up with that name) and of course Dreamstage. Even non-CM-style, though, you need a similar specialized setup or some serious brute force.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
The worst part is, in JP, there was a very solid physical ice burst at this point in the game.

We haven't gotten it yet because it's on one of the FF11 characters. :negative:

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
I only have one fire accessory because I used to think that +stats were good enough and elemental resists didn't do much so why bother getting them :downs: I think that might be what I'm missing but I'll give it a few more attempts today, so thanks for all the advice.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
If you only have one, it'll be rough. One option is to have it on a Magic Lure/Draw Fire knight, that spends the entire fight tanking every single target hit in the back row. This also has the added benefit that you might not need any other physical mitigation, aside from Wall.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Adel posted:

I beat him first try with little to no synergy but it was also right after I got Vaan's BSB so his magic damage was gutted to hell and back since I also had everyone with moderate or better fire resistance gear. Didn't try stacking armor/shield and accessory fire resists either. Main healing was Yuna with Hymn of the Faith as well. I forget what my RW was. Tyro and Agrias were on Blizaga strike duty while Vaan keep BSB debuffs up and Ramza was Shout + full break.

Adel posted:

I only have one fire accessory because I used to think that +stats were good enough and elemental resists didn't do much so why bother getting them :downs: I think that might be what I'm missing but I'll give it a few more attempts today, so thanks for all the advice.

Yeah you dun hosed up in that regard. :supaburn:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Didn't try stacking armor/shield and accessory fire resists either.

Just FYI, elemental resistance gear does not stack (unlike element-boosting gear); the game just picks the biggest boost from what you have equipped. Incidentally, this does let you overwrite the water weakness from the Gigas Armlet with a minor water resistance if you have such an armor. I don't believe status resistances stack either.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I've just started. Is there a resource for determining what relics are worth keeping, what I can safely feed, and what's worth being fed? Feel a little overwhelmed. Really preferring this to ffbe although this doesn't look as pretty.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

The OK's BSB comes back, right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Give us banana raincoat Cid.

• Locked thread