Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Waltzing Along posted:

That's not the good ending. That's the retard ending. The good ending is red w/ enough war assets to survive.

Which of course, makes literally no sense. How does having more gunships make you more resistant to anti-synthetic radiation, or whatever the hypothetical weapon is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Which is why I feel DAO is their best game.

I did everything as ideally as I could, including respecting my companions wishes. What did I get? My best friend tells me to gently caress off and runs away to become a drunk and my girlfriend steals my baby and runs away to do whatever the gently caress she wanted, too. And the whole ending sequence was rad, too.

DAO was p rad in this goons opinion

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Alain Post posted:

One problem is that years and years of RPG design has led to the implicit agreement that both players and designers adhere to, which is that if you do a lot of work and level up a lot, you should be able to get the "ideal" result, when not getting the ideal result is frequently more interesting of a story

Lol this isn't people's problem with the ME3 ending

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DAO's is a poster child for reactive endings. The whole Landsmeet section onwards is a fantastic climax and payoff.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
That was the best part of the ending kerfluffle.

Casey Hudson - "You players are upset that we did not give you a happy ending"

Players, in a slower voice using simpler words, as if talking to a small child - "No, when we say the ending was 'bad' and that's why we are upset, we don't mean that kind of bad.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
entitled gamers

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if I remember the monstrously gargantuan Mass Effect thread during ME3 launch, a lot of people were upset about the ending because it didn't give them a proper farewell to the characters (their waifus) and because it seemed really gloomy with the mass effect relays blowing up and splitting up the entire galactic community

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Waltzing Along posted:

Which is why I feel DAO is their best game.

I did everything as ideally as I could, including respecting my companions wishes. What did I get? My best friend tells me to gently caress off and runs away to become a drunk and my girlfriend steals my baby and runs away to do whatever the gently caress she wanted, too. And the whole ending sequence was rad, too.

there should have been some sort of consequence for leaving the arl's son possessed while you sorted out the mages to get their help, but otherwise origins was pretty alright on this front

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I would have liked Origins if I found the gameplay even a little bit more interesting. I hate the Infinity Engine games too (and the combat in Pillars/etc) so I really wasn't the target audience tbf.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lol this isn't people's problem with the ME3 ending

tbf at this point if you're still complaining this hard about ME3's ending the problem had to have been it killed your dog or something. It was bad but who actually cares this much?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
There are people in here defending it my friend

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Zzulu posted:

if I remember the monstrously gargantuan Mass Effect thread during ME3 launch, a lot of people were upset about the ending because it didn't give them a proper farewell to the characters (their waifus) and because it seemed really gloomy with the mass effect relays blowing up and splitting up the entire galactic community
What they should have done is make it so if you only played the 3rd game you get pretty much what we had pre-EC, but if you took the time to play all the games it increased your war score so that Shep survived (more detailed than "Shep takes a breath" you only got with Destroy/8k+ assets). Give long time players a payoff and encourage those who just picked up the series to do the whole trilogy. The EC turned it from an abrupt nonsensical ending to at least sort of a proper epilogue. Still kind of dumb and unsatisfying, but if you'd spent 100+ hours playing through all 3 games I don't think people were being overly entitled to feel like they deserved something better than what they got.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Actually what they should have done was have written an ending that was thematically, tonally and narratively consistent with the first two games and their established lore instead of letting two manchildren take total control of the ending process and "lots of speculation"

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
It would have been fine, even great if Shepard was doomed to die. It would have been acceptable if everyone you knew died too, accepting the sacrifice to stop the reapers. A bittersweet ending where Shepard and the team gave their all and perished but saved the galaxy for posterity would have been totally appropriate.

What wasn't fine was saying "there won't be an A, B, C ending" when that's exactly what happened, when you contravene the narrative themes established over the previous two games, and when the game makes clear that nothing you've done up to this point over the entire trilogy has really changed what will happen in the end. And in the course of doing so, contradicting all the established lore and conventions built up over several years and games.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Players, in a slower voice using simpler words, as if talking to a small child - "No, when we say the ending was 'bad' and that's why we are upset, we don't mean that kind of bad.

This is the company whose response to criticism of DA2 was (exactly, not a paraphrase) "some people didn't appreciate the innovations..."

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

lol narrative themes

Shepard's mission from the very first time she learned about them was to destroy the Reapers. You can sure do that. Done. :boom:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I'm going to give you one chance to correct yourself before I do.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
the ending was bad but the internet's reaction to the bad ending was worse

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Milky Moor posted:

And yeah, this, basically, thorsilver. ME1 was great for its time and is still fairly strong, albeit dated. ME2 might be Bioware's best game ever. ME3 refines ME2's gameplay and improves it across the board but the story starts weirdly (to say the least), never really finds its stride, and then collapses in a pool of its own vomit just as it reaches the finish line. But ME3 does have some good moments and the Citadel DLC is a fantastic love letter.

Thanks, that's a useful summary. Seems like I've got a lot to look forward to with ME2, and with ME3 I'll just have to prepare myself for the story collapsing entirely. Honestly if the gameplay holds up and there's enough good character moments I'll probably cope reasonably well with that.

The Citadel DLC is kind of a character send-off of sorts, isn't it? I'll definitely be wanting that if that's the case.

Someone mentioned an ME2 Ultimate Edition for PC earlier, but for the life of me I can't find this anywhere (except for a bunch of dodgy links to torrents). Is this still a thing that exists?

Turns out that I've got the ME2 Steam edition, not Origin, while ME3 is on Origin. From the sounds of it I'd have to get the Origin edition of ME2 to get all the DLC working?? gently caress this is confusing.

Should I just give up and get the PS3 version? That has all the DLC doesn't it? Would that still work on a used copy or is it download code bullshit?

edit: I'm also in the UK, which I guess could be relevant since we tend to get extra screwed on these things sometimes

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 3, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

wyoak posted:

the ending was bad but A Buff Gay Dude's posting is worse

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

thorsilver posted:

Thanks, that's a useful summary. Seems like I've got a lot to look forward to with ME2, and with ME3 I'll just have to prepare myself for the story collapsing entirely. Honestly if the gameplay holds up and there's enough good character moments I'll probably cope reasonably well with that.

The Citadel DLC is kind of a character send-off of sorts, isn't it? I'll definitely be wanting that if that's the case.

Someone mentioned an ME2 Ultimate Edition for PC earlier, but for the life of me I can't find this anywhere (except for a bunch of dodgy links to torrents). Is this still a thing that exists?

Turns out that I've got the ME2 Steam edition, not Origin, while ME3 is on Origin. From the sounds of it I'd have to get the Origin edition of ME2 to get all the DLC working?? gently caress this is confusing.

Should I just give up and get the PS3 version? That has all the DLC doesn't it? Would that still work on a used copy or is it download code bullshit?

edit: I'm also in the UK, which I guess could be relevant since we tend to get extra screwed on these things sometimes

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/dlc/mass-effect-2-ultimate-edition/107109

First hit, might be a PS3 exclusive bundle tho (which would be mighty lame!)

Also you don't need to have all the games on the same platform to transfer the saves down the line, you can copy/paste the save file across folders.

Further edit: The only important DLC for ME2 is Arrival anyways, the rest are just new companions and/or missions for existing companions. I got Zaeed for free and I'm glad of it but in general I just put paid DLC companions in any game right the gently caress out of my mind.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 3, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I think the endings are good. ABGD's posting is bad, though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

thorsilver posted:

Yeah, PS3 version has all the DLC except Arrival and the extra skins on it. It's on the disc so you don't need to download anything. I bought the trilogy for a friend in EU and it was retardedly expensive on the EU store and impossible to find a physical copy - might wanna create a US account and buy some gift cards on Amazon to pay for it and get it from the PS store. Ended up saving something ridiculous like $90 for buying him the trilogy that way.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

There are people in here defending it my friend

They're defending it because you're being such a giant rear end in a top hat about the whole thing. If you stopped talking about it everyone else probably would too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

They're defending it because you're being such a giant rear end in a top hat about the whole thing. If you stopped talking about it everyone else probably would too.

this is the most unbelievable thing about mass effect 3's ending

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

this is the most unbelievable thing about mass effect 3's ending

The most unbelievable thing about it was people spending real money to send cupcakes in 3 different colors to the bioware offices because they were just that angry about a video game.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

No they weren't their idiocy is what drew me here

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

The most unbelievable thing about it was people spending real money to send cupcakes in 3 different colors to the bioware offices because they were just that angry about a video game.

Actually that owns what kinda scrub can't afford some cupcakes to troll a developer who ruined a good game series and universe.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

At this point, how about we just drop all talk of the ME3 ending because it is just an endless roundabout of bad opinions.

Anything else is fair game, but for now let's just put a moratorium on ME3 ending talk. Talk about characters, talk about mechanics, talk about plots, talk about missions, talk about any of the other things this series has given us.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Okay let's talk about why the game is set in a completely different galaxy this time.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

marshmallow creep posted:

At this point, how about we just drop all talk of the ME3 ending because it is just an endless roundabout of bad opinions.

Anything else is fair game, but for now let's just put a moratorium on ME3 ending talk. Talk about characters, talk about mechanics, talk about plots, talk about missions, talk about any of the other things this series has given us.

I like Traynor even though she's a nerd who doesn't really fight.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Okay let's talk about why the game is set in a completely different galaxy this time.

It's a conspiracy to get rid of the geth

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Reclaimer posted:

I like how Traynor showers in her underwear.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Reclaimer posted:

Traynor was cool and good. She's a non-combat geek who takes her video games way too seriously. She'd be a goon but she spends too much money on personal hygiene for that to work. :v:

Plus in the horney part of the game she's the only love interest that initiates instead of the usual Commander Shepard Work Place Harassment model.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mymla posted:

I like how Traynor showers in her underwear.

Nevernudes deserve our pity.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Trast posted:

Traynor was cool and good. She's a non-combat geek who takes her video games way too seriously. She'd be a goon but she spends too much money on personal hygiene for that to work. :v:

Plus in the horney part of the game she's the only love interest that initiates instead of the usual Commander Shepard Work Place Harassment model.

Yeah, more good points in her favor. I liked her predecessor too, or at least her story arc how she goes from peppy butler to broken transient. I felt things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Reclaimer posted:

lol narrative themes

Shepard's mission from the very first time she learned about them was to destroy the Reapers. You can sure do that. Done. :boom:

To be fair the theme of Daddy Issues permeates the series like crazy.

Even on a meta level. The ME3 ending with it's lovely paternalistic alien nonsense was so unpopular and destructive the developers are setting the next game in a whole new galaxy. Little Mass Effect is getting it's own place in a new city.