Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

And when people said "There's something about her, I just don't like her or trust her" that was also sexist because people have been saying that about Clinton for her entire career.

tbf this poo poo has been following her her entire career and it's super annoying.

if only she had more charisma than a doorknob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Yinlock posted:

tbf this poo poo has been following her her entire career and it's super annoying.

she does, she just never shows it. its weird. i think she tried to thread the needle too hard or listened to too many people using focus tested info or something

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

anime was right posted:

she does, she just never shows it. its weird. i think she tried to thread the needle too hard or listened to too many people using focus tested info or something

go watch interviews of her when she isn't running for something. 2008-2012. She comes off amazing. Snappy and affable, just a little goofy in a mom way, just really endearing. I don't know if it's the focus grouping yes men that tell her to act that way or if half a century of bullshit scandals have just made it so that she ices over when she faces any kind of question that might go badly for her, but she can't do it while she's under any kind of scrutiny.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Yinlock posted:

at this point, i dont give a drat about the negatives. clinton could have gotten rich off cattle futures, and personally shot vince foster and vilerat in the heads, but none if it would matter if she could build a movement around a core message. keith ellison can be a muslim brotherhood plant and could have vouched to have punched yakub in his ghost face after a DMT trip, and it wont matter if he can build a working class movement that can empower workers of many backgrounds

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/tanehisicoates/status/804404094559547393

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

logikv9 posted:

I honestly thought we were going to have that joint-chair situation with Dean and Ellison but I guess that's gone now.

its Ellison or bust :bernin:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

theyre deploying the big guns against ellison atm with this adl stuff

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

lmbo if thats the best they got

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

logikv9 posted:

I honestly thought we were going to have that joint-chair situation with Dean and Ellison but I guess that's gone now.

ppl thought a lot o wrong things this year

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
idk can the dems really come up a platform that combines "you have the right to not get hosed by the big corporations" and "you have the right to not get murdered by racist cops" hm that's a tough one

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Rand alPaul posted:

I have a friend on facebook who is a staffer and has all these photos of her with HIllary so I get to see what the former rank-and-file foot soldiers think. There was a guy who legit said that Trump was destined to win because 8 years of any party in the White House usually gives it to the opposite party, and he was even congratulating Hillary on coming this close to winning despite the overwhelming odds. :stare:

i have this theory too.

but also hillary was a bad candidate.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
The gently caress is a Mega Charizard?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Man, for the first time since he was in the running, I'm conflicted about Ellison as DNC Chair. Just out of selfishness because I don't want him to stop being my Congressman.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

It is a Pokemon that is a fire type and it is my friend. It is strong and courageous.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

its like a charizard but plus 1 super charizard

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
As the kids say, this thread:

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/805052552551268353

speng31b
May 8, 2010

deadgoon posted:

idk can the dems really come up a platform that combines "you have the right to not get hosed by the big corporations" and "you have the right to not get murdered by racist cops" hm that's a tough one

Maybe Trump will institute privatized police wearing like golden judge dredd armor with a giant "T" on it then we get both at once for free

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

man when he's saying it
i hope people loving listen

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

why the gently caress didn't he run for president

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

deadgoon posted:

why the gently caress didn't he run for president

Obama?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Aurubin posted:

So is the party actually getting out of the way for Ellison or is the factionalism just not clearly defined? I'm curious if the media hit pieces about him are the last gasp or is the old guard getting ready to selfsabotage a la UK Labour. WE BREXITED SO LET'S BLAME CORBYN! The logic of a winning party.

The party leadership is super obviously pushing Ellison. There are a few dissenters here and there, but it's such an easy way of bringing the Sanders wing back in line that the old guard just can't resist.

The catch is just that the DNC head isn't that powerful. He'll be in a job where he has little influence on policy or platform discussion, requires the constant support of the established party leadership to get anything done, and will be in a position where he can't realistically just tell ideologically impure purple Dems to get hosed. Also, hes being chosen specifically to appeal to a particular wing of the party, in spite of concerns about his ability to do the job, even though the Dems face a real tough electoral map in 2018.

If you want to know where I see the Ellison pick leading to, look at Michael Steele, whose short tenure as RNC head essentially destroyed his political career. Every time he picked a fight, the party leadership refused to back him, which led to him being humiliated and defeated, often publicly.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I attended my local Democratic party meeting recently in my swing state. Unlike some of yall, it was extremely well attended and organized, and a diverse group of people. There was no coastal liberal backpatting, nobody spoke highly of the Hilary campaign and everyone who spoke to it understood Hillary ignored and lost the working class, and they have to be won back. The Bernie contingent is really strong here, and the local leadership is going to demand Bernie folks be included at state and national levels.

I feel pretty optimistic locally at least, people seem to Get It without devolving into violent recriminations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Fulchrum posted:

So going forward we need to get down on our hands and loving knees and start sucking that coal dick?

That thing you're referring to was her talking about transitioning from coal mining to green energy jobs that, among other things, don't give out black lung. If that is just a sign that you secretly hate them so loving much and secretly wish they would all die, what the hell response is there outside of talking about how global warming is a hoax by the chinese?

Honestly, I thought I was jumping in on some joke posts.

In response to that, though, you have to admit that framing it as "getting rid of jobs" was easily the one of the worst unforced errors in the whole campaign. Even if you're trying to make PMCs illegal, the last thing you want to say is that it's getting rid of jobs. The only people who that message resonated with were the contemptable liberals that sneer at everyone and everything below a certain socioeconomic threshold. It's really eblematic of everything wrong with her strategy and great example of just how bad she was as a candidate.

MizPiz has issued a correction as of 16:40 on Dec 3, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Main Paineframe posted:

The party leadership is super obviously pushing Ellison. There are a few dissenters here and there, but it's such an easy way of bringing the Sanders wing back in line that the old guard just can't resist.

The catch is just that the DNC head isn't that powerful. He'll be in a job where he has little influence on policy or platform discussion, requires the constant support of the established party leadership to get anything done, and will be in a position where he can't realistically just tell ideologically impure purple Dems to get hosed. Also, hes being chosen specifically to appeal to a particular wing of the party, in spite of concerns about his ability to do the job, even though the Dems face a real tough electoral map in 2018.

If you want to know where I see the Ellison pick leading to, look at Michael Steele, whose short tenure as RNC head essentially destroyed his political career. Every time he picked a fight, the party leadership refused to back him, which led to him being humiliated and defeated, often publicly.

This is what I fear. I don't think the Democratic leadership actually gives a poo poo about the left wing, and they're trying to gently caress us again.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

This is what I fear. I don't think the Democratic leadership actually gives a poo poo about the left wing, and they're trying to gently caress us again.

this should be the assumption of any interaction with the democrats

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MizPiz posted:

In response to that, though, you have to admit that framing it as "getting rid of jobs" was easily the one of the worst unforced errors in the whole campaign. Even if you're trying to make PMCs illegal, the last thing you want to say is that it's getting rid of jobs. The only people who that message resonated with were the contemptable liberals that sneer at everyone and everything below a certain socioeconomic threshold. It's really eblematic of everything wrong with her strategy and great example of just how bad she was as a candidate.

Yeah, it's kind of a lovely situation (since a horrible dangerous industry that really needs to die is also the only source of a half-decent wage in some parts of the country) but HAHAHA gently caress YOU COAL MINERS (ps job training green energy maybe) was so not the right approach.

Which, of course, isn't what she actually said (I think), but it's definitely the message that came across. I remember all the posting about how West Virginia Democrats HAAAAAAAAAAATED Hillary because of the coal thing and how we should just write them off as an anomaly, and, god we (I say we, I had nothing to do with the campaign except as a voter) just ignored every drat warning sign there was, didn't we?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

docbeard posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a lovely situation (since a horrible dangerous industry that really needs to die is also the only source of a half-decent wage in some parts of the country) but HAHAHA gently caress YOU COAL MINERS (ps job training green energy maybe) was so not the right approach.

Which, of course, isn't what she actually said (I think), but it's definitely the message that came across. I remember all the posting about how West Virginia Democrats HAAAAAAAAAAATED Hillary because of the coal thing and how we should just write them off as an anomaly, and, god we (I say we, I had nothing to do with the campaign except as a voter) just ignored every drat warning sign there was, didn't we?

Direct quote is, "we're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out business."

Honestly, if she even just stuck with coal companies it wouldn't have been as bad, but the fact coal miners were the foremost example makes it horrible.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

man if schumer didn't give a flying gently caress about that poo poo will anyone else besides fishmechian die hards even bother

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

They're just trying to appease the Sanders wing without making any real policy concessions or changes beyond the platform changes they made before the election, so they're giving prominent Sanders folks (including Sanders himself) important-sounding leadership-ish positions...which have no power to dictate policy and mainly require them to support incumbent Democrats regardless of their ideological leanings.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

MizPiz posted:

Direct quote is, "we're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out business."

Honestly, if she even just stuck with coal companies it wouldn't have been as bad, but the fact coal miners were the foremost example makes it horrible.

Hillary to Coal Miners: Drop Dead

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Main Paineframe posted:

They're just trying to appease the Sanders wing without making any real policy concessions or changes beyond the platform changes they made before the election, so they're giving prominent Sanders folks (including Sanders himself) important-sounding leadership-ish positions...which have no power to dictate policy and mainly require them to support incumbent Democrats regardless of their ideological leanings.

Well, there definitely are people projecting their hopes and desires on the situation.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Well What Now posted:

man if schumer didn't give a flying gently caress about that poo poo will anyone else besides fishmechian die hards even bother

I don't think anyone buys the ADL's sudden flip-flop on Ellison

Having a president who pals around with neo-Nazis is causing all sorts of chaos in the non-partisan pro-Israel organizations

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't think anyone buys the ADL's sudden flip-flop on Ellison

Having a president who pals around with neo-Nazis is causing all sorts of chaos in the non-partisan pro-Israel organizations

Isn't this an oxymoron? How can you be "pro-israel" without being partisan?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

It's "nonpartisan" in the USA because both parties unequivocally support Israel

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

i think this is largely true although i think it's a bit uncharitable. the democratic party knows it needs to bring sanders supporters back, and offering up the post of dnc - a post that a lot of people in sandersland are very concerned about - is, i think, a form of outreach by democratic leadership. some people are interpreting it as a "sanders takeover of the democratic party," which is false - we've always been a big tent party, and there's room for the left, the center-left, and the center. being a big-tent party doesn't mean you always have to pick from the center-left and the center, especially if the candidate from the left is more effective. but yes, i also think the dnc head isn't really a powerful position at all. it's fairly weak.

yes, ellison isn't going to go after centrist dems. that's not his job at dnc. it's to get more democrats elected.

i don't agree that it's going to be like michael steele. steele was bad at everything as rnc chair, and i expect ellison to be competent and push forward new programs to improve the dnc. he has good ideas and i think he'll be make a strong chair.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 18:46 on Dec 3, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Joementum posted:

Well, there definitely are people projecting their hopes and desires on the situation.
it helps that it might be dawning on the DNC that maybe their "knob slobber wall street" strategy is well beyond the point of diminishing returns

if they want to ratfuck their constituents again they do it upon risk of this country turning into Somalia or the best-case scenario they have no choice but to put an FDR-style strongman through

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm worried about this too, actually. They made up a "leadership" post for Sanders which basically translates to "head of Democratic evangelism" without any formal responsibilities or power. They are largely deferring to him on things now, but I dunno how long that'll last. It's one of many reasons I'm glad he's essentially continuing to campaign -- the more "soft power" he has via his popularity and following, the more likely the party leaders are to do what he says.

Powercrazy posted:

J Street is a thing

It's basically a lobbying group for the Israeli left and bills itself as "pro-Israel and pro-peace". It has nowhere near the influence of AIPAC but it fills a seriously-needed niche for liberal/leftist American Jews who feel conflicted by Israel policy becoming a partisan issue (thanks largely to Bibi)

e: for the record J Street is a very public Ellison proponent

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Crowsbeak posted:

Beyond getting rid of super delegates what other ways should the primary be reformed?

More states need to have an open primary I think. In RI, I was a registered independent for years but thanks to the open primary I strolled in and voted Dem without any bullshit. My vote registered me for the Dem party.

Surprise surprise, RI went 68% Bernie and has been a Dem stronghold in the north since forever.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

anime was right posted:

there shouldn't be a "firewall" of demographically similar states in huge chunks. the initial stage of the primary is actually a great way of doing it. 4 very different states. do chunks of 4-6 states from different parts of the country in waves.

this seems like a policy specifically aimed at black voters? why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Mr. Jive posted:

More states need to have an open primary I think. In RI, I was a registered independent for years but thanks to the open primary I strolled in and voted Dem without any bullshit. My vote registered me for the Dem party.

Surprise surprise, RI went 68% Bernie and has been a Dem stronghold in the north since forever.

why does this forum have so many rhode islanders, it's weird

• Locked thread