Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Boy am I glad Ace Combat went back to Strangereal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Had I listened to all the clues in that music game I would have gotten 3 of them, maybe.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm so loving glad about getting Kiwami and Y6 in English.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

read the page much. jeez

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was flipping the gently caress out over the PlayStation Experience presentation. I had not been that excited for video game announcements in awhile. All of it looked incredible.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

oddium posted:

read the page much. jeez

Ugggggggggh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So many games, not enough money :negative:

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

What is windjammers and is it as rad as it looks

More rad than it looks. It's the greatest 2 player game ever made

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I said come in! posted:

This is Castlevania II levels of ugly color palette. What is this poo poo?

art

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
sorry did i just see the last of us part 2

DID I JUST SEE THE LAST OF US PART 2

edit: the way the crowd exploded when joel's beard came into view holy poo poo. that's literally how they, i, and everyone watching knew it was him

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's winter now so I might grow a Joel beard

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I cannot believe how out-of-the-loving-park Sony knocked the hype ball with this conference. It's gone! It flew out of the park and down the road some and into some poor old lady's home!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

CJacobs posted:

sorry did i just see the last of us part 2

DID I JUST SEE THE LAST OF US PART 2

edit: the way the crowd exploded when joel's beard came into view holy poo poo. that's literally how they, i, and everyone watching knew it was him

Someone's probably already started writing a think-piece about either "Do we NEED a Part 2 for The Last of Us" or "Hopefully there won't be any combat this time around" haven't they?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

akuma needs to consult hyrule warriors ganondorf on how to pull this off

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Someone's probably already started writing a think-piece about either "Do we NEED a Part 2 for The Last of Us" or "Hopefully there won't be any combat this time around" haven't they?

Good news: you don't have to read it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I genuinely think a LotU2 starring Joel and Ellie is dumb because the original was a well-done self-contained story that resolved itself quite well and we don't really need a second trip with them.

LToU made good use of its ambiguity and leaving things unsaid, especially in the ending, and the sequel will pretty much undo all of that just by existing in favor of a story that almost certainly will be less satisfying because both characters already reached the end of their narrative arcs.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 3, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Bloodborne 2 coming soon?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely think a LotU2 starring Joel and Ellie is dumb because the original was a well-done self-contained story that resolved itself quite well and we don't really need a second trip with them.

That's how creative people think, that's not how corporations with stock holders think, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Help Im Alive posted:

I swear this guy used to be cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

His hair is loving awful

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

LToU made good use of its ambiguity and leaving things unsaid, especially in the ending, and the sequel will pretty much undo all of that just by existing in favor of a story that almost certainly will be less satisfying because both characters already reached the end of their narrative arcs.

The Last Of Us wrapped up its story pretty nicely while leaving just enough to your imagination that they could have done without continuing it. I'm very, very glad they are continuing it anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's how creative people think, that's not how corporations with stock holders think, though.

Oh, I'm sure that they're going "Yeah, those characters are popular, bring 'em back!" I'm just saying that for me, personally, I'm not too hype to see them get back in the saddle and it's gonna have to have one hell of a concept to make me interested in it from a story perspective again.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Whatever happened to Ganon the Boar Man?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Whatever happened to Ganon the Boar Man?

He shows up pretty regularly as the 'final form' of Ganondorf. He was in Twilight Princess and Hyrule Warriors, which were the last two Zelda games to have Ganondorf in 'em.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sakurazuka posted:

His hair is loving awful

Yeah. That looked pretty bad. I understand trying to make characters age, but why not just use SF3 Akuma. He had like a bit of a white strand on his hair to make look old.

This just looks goofy.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ImpAtom posted:

I actually kinda agree with that it's just that there's few games with narratives that actually warrant this discussion.

It'd be like people wanting a new Mother game that followed the ending to Mother 3 or a Silent Hill sequel that starred James as the protagonist for some reason even though everything about him and his journey was wrapped up at the end of SH2

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am more concerned about the play-dough thongs he is wearing. Like, you really could've just gone with no shoes at all, Akuma, I don't think anyone would've blamed you.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Jay Rust posted:

Is Bloodborne 2 coming soon?

I'll be genuinely shocked if it isn't announced at E3 2017.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 by the way is a timed exclusive on PlayStation 4. It comes out on Xbox One and PC in March.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Actually another game I feel would have been perfectly fine as a single entry without any sort of direct sequels would have been the first God of War. I know it would have been really really dumb in a business sense not to continue and make it into a series but the way the first game wrapped up was honestly fine had there been no continuing adventures of Kratos.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I actually kinda agree with that it's just that there's few games with narratives that actually warrant this discussion.

It'd be like people wanting a new Mother game that followed the ending to Mother 3 or a Silent Hill sequel that starred James as the protagonist for some reason even though everything about him and his journey was wrapped up at the end of SH2

Yeah, there are a lot of games where 'make a sequel' isn't a big thing, but TLOU is one where I genuinely feel that a sequel shouldn't involve the same characters. I'll freely admit they may surprise me but I have a hard time thinking of anything (let alone a game) where I was really satisfied with someone 'coming out of retirement' for a story that was wholeheartedly finished in every reasonable metric.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, there are a lot of games where 'make a sequel' isn't a big thing, but TLOU is one where I genuinely feel that a sequel shouldn't involve the same characters. I'll freely admit they may surprise me but I have a hard time thinking of anything (let alone a game) where I was really satisfied with someone 'coming out of retirement' for a story that was wholeheartedly finished in every reasonable metric.

Die Hard 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Die Hard 2

Gonna say, wasn't very big on Die Hard 2.

That does however bring up Aliens, which I will say was a solid sequel for a finished story. (Of course then Alien 3/Alien Res/ect...)

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah just look at how 343 Industries and Microsoft have ended up when you consider the Halo series. They've been trying to put Master Chief into cold storage for almost a decade and had to thaw him out quicker than they probably planned to five years ago to have him headline the next trilogy of games to placate fans while simultaneously trying to introduce characters they were hoping they could replace him with eventually.

Last gen the whole "This is the final chapter in this character's saga!" thing was a selling point for like at least three different franchises and in almost every case they had to bring back that exact character sooner rather than later, with the exception of Solid Snake who could take a rest while his dad filled in. Luckily for Kojima he had that loophole to work with.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

Gonna say, wasn't very big on Die Hard 2.

That does however bring up Aliens, which I will say was a solid sequel for a finished story. (Of course then Alien 3/Alien Res/ect...)

I will agree that Die Hard 2 is slightly less good than Die Hard 1, which is itself incredible but not flawless. The Last of Us 2 will probably be the same way knowing the actual geniuses behind the first one- a slight step down, probably, but it'll still be one of the best games on the platform.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol if u havnt been wanting a tlou sequel since the second you finished the first one

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Sony have been knocking it out of the park this gen.

They seem to just think "what will literally make peoples dreams come true?" and then do it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

Sony have been knocking it out of the park this gen.

They seem to just think "what will literally make peoples dreams come true?" and then do it.

Hasn't Sony's thing been more "making huge promises, releasing average disappointments?" I remember a ton of hypes but none that really lives up to the hype. (lol, the Order.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The first time I think I ever heard of The Order was in a review saying it sucked. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm kind of surprised how negative people are about Uncharted 4 but I'll buy the Chloe thing and a lot of the other stuff they showed (YAKUZA)

ImpAtom posted:

He shows up pretty regularly as the 'final form' of Ganondorf. He was in Twilight Princess and Hyrule Warriors, which were the last two Zelda games to have Ganondorf in 'em.

He's in Link Between Worlds too (kinda)

• Locked thread