Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

eSporks posted:

Keep your distance, pick their ana, now they are hosed as you kill them with chip damage.
it's not as easy as you think to pick an Ana(it is, most of the time in 3s, at least as hard as it is to kill anyone else).

Also best team is Ana/Roadhog/Soldier so the other two have sustain anyways, it's just that they're stronger with Ana and biotic grenade can help massively in pushing+shut down enemy team heals for easy kills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Zen/Rein/76 is my most I want to die now comp.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

eSporks posted:

Keep your distance, pick their ana, now they are hosed as you kill them with chip damage.

It's a lot easier for Ana to get a pick from distance than it is for most of the cast though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kashuno posted:

healers in 3s

Ana
Zen
Mercy
Lucio

why ana over zen

zen can headshot for more damage, fire faster, debuff the other team (huge when you only get 1 life), and docharge shots that can instantly delete someone. ana's healing is better but zen's much stronger in a fight

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is 3v3 still just the one map

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Manatee Cannon posted:

why ana over zen

zen can headshot for more damage, fire faster, debuff the other team (huge when you only get 1 life), and docharge shots that can instantly delete someone. ana's healing is better but zen's much stronger in a fight

Naps, grenades, and easier to aim Ana's darts than Zen's orbs. Zen has zero group healing, while Ana has her grenade that also turns off the enemy healer, and hitting any of the three with a sleep dart should basically end the match unless your DPS gently caress up and shoot them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's only easier to aim with ana if you're scoped in, and if you do that then you can easily get flanked and have a hard time healing the people next to you. the sleep dart is not easy to land and damage is more important than healing in the one life only gamemode

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you don't have to be scoped in literally all of the time you know(and your teammates should be telling you when they see someone as well)

biotic grenade is extremely good in 3v3

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

you don't have to be scoped in literally all of the time you know(and your teammates should be telling you when they see someone as well)

biotic grenade is extremely good in 3v3

my point wasn't "you should scope in" (I don't get how you got that from what I said), it's that she's not easier to aim unless you scope in, which is a bad idea

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Zen's lower on the totem pole because it's actually harder to capitalize on discord than it is on negated heals, and Ana's output is overall better, her range is better, she actually has an escape, and her ult will actually win a fight and charges in a reasonable amount of time compared to Transcendence. Ana is also the only one who can seriously shutdown the ridiculously overrepresented Roadhog, she just shits on him.

Ana also makes anyone else's self sustain really good, like Biotic Grenade+Biotic Field is legit as hell and there are few characters in the game capable of DPS racing it, and Nanovisor is pretty close to godlike in 3v3. Round off with Roadhog (picks, sustain) or Reinhardt (lean really heavily on the Ana and Soldier).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You ever manage to get a draw on a match where you're up by 7 and a half minutes?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Elucidarius posted:

I kept waiting for my luck to run out too, if you're doing well you'll likely be placed at or around where you were last season.

Yeah I just faced an all bronze team on the other end so it's gonna happen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Manatee Cannon posted:

why ana over zen

Zen is mediocre in 3 v 3. He's very slow which is murder. Discord can be a game changer on the positive side.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zen is the same speed as everyone but genji/tracer

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Manatee Cannon posted:

zen is the same speed as everyone but genji/tracer

And Sombra. And D.Va. And Lucio. And a jumping winston, or a charging Rein, or Mercy with a Guardian target or any of the other characters with abilities that move them

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think ana is overall better but yeah both zen and ana have the exact same problem of "no movement abilities"

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Except Ana makes up for it in utility, an escape, better output, play making fast charging ult and hitscan capability. Zen makes things die faster and has decent damage output but he heals for piss and he absolutely must win his fights if he gets caught out with no escapes except his ult.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ana at least has a very powerful escape option in sleep darts. Zen really doesn't have any options at close range.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The sight lines are not that great on the 3v3 map for ana. With a coordinated team she's probably better but with randos I'd like a zen more.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Ana at least has a very powerful escape option in sleep darts. Zen really doesn't have any options at close range.

His escape option is two orbs to the dome while discorded :whatup:

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So S2 placements were silly amounts of teammates bailing (even when winning) and losing all but like 2 games? Placed somewhere north of 1700, fought to 1900 or so and then right back into strings of match-bailers and hanzos that would idle in spawn spamming to attack the point. I gave up when I sank back down just shy of 1700 again.

S3 placements, 6-4, nobody bailed, only was at the crap end of one pure curbstomp, medals galore... and I get 1270 bronze.

Fun part is I've gone 2-1-1 in actual matches post-placement and the wins were each +40 to +50, the loss was -20 and the draw was 0. Even on close matches. So it's like I'm gravitating upward to some magical place I guess. At least the quality of games has been much, much better so far (even if the people have been barely tolerable).

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the zen vs ana argument is actually really simple

Which ever one you can play better is better in 3v3

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

the zen vs ana argument is actually really simple

Which ever one you can play better is better in 3v3

That's true, but Ana has the higher skill ceiling as well as burst healing and a sleep dart that's a death sentence if it lands.

If you're godlike with projectiles, then Zen is where it's at.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Dear lord I've gotten terrible in this game. Ended first season at 2450, second at 2250, placement put me in 1630. Played all placements as tank/support (Rein, Lucio, Mercy) with a friend who only played Pharah and had similar stats at second season, and he ended up at 2050. At least I've climbed up to 1800s now :v:

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

did 5 placement matches so far, all wins, but man are my palms sweaty after each game

im being matched with plat/diamond players tho so at least i know ill be placed around there (season high 3010 in S2)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749737390#post-3

Looks like if anything I was lucky to only lose 250 off of last season. Most of my wins and losses were stomps. So I probably didn't gain that much for the wins, or lose that much for the losses. On top of that I spent very little time on characters I'm very good at (someone else already picked, or it wasn't the right situation for the map, and I mean relative to my tier) so probably got the minor ding for that (since it judges you against historical data for the character as a minor factor).

It also seems that actually I should've been playing Mercy the whole time because a lot of Mercy mains are talking about gains (COMPLAINING about gains, in most cases, lol), seems to be some of the few sub-mid-gold.

Still, hard to feel good about going 7-3 and losing rank. I've already done the climb from bronze to silver before (albeit when I had a much much much bigger hole to climb out of) not sure I feel like doing it again.

Rick fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 4, 2016

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Man all you people talking about placements makes me feel better about my casual 2300 gold placement.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Amount I'm getting per win is slowing down, so I guess I'm approaching my MMR match and am Bronze4Lyfe or something. Given that tonight I haven't lost a match, I have had team after team after team of solo queue folks that haven't been jerks, and the games have been at "worst" a solid fight and at "best" us ransacking the other team due to trolling them into over-flanking, then focus punishing and rolling all over them... I'm ok with this.

I'm also finding I like Zen... a lot... just fell into running him during placements and have almost mained him today. All I've done is asked folks to focus fire when they can to prioritize on the ball and to not overextend and come back for heals and it's kept people cohesive, they've burned on the ball constantly and it's been glorious.

Ed:

I have no clue what dark magic they invoked, but I'm a few hours net into S3 and it's been reasonable people and good games. 12-7 (9-2 on Zen). I broke Silver before bed last night. I still suck in the grand scheme of things, but it's an upwardly-mobile suck at least.

Alleric fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 4, 2016

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
In defense of my Zen in 3v3, I can give a little intel to my team by relaying where my discord orb goes to. I didn't learn until recently that its wallhack wasn't mirrored to teammates. :(

But I've started to verbally tell them and knowledge is power, right?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Ape Agitator posted:

In defense of my Zen in 3v3, I can give a little intel to my team by relaying where my discord orb goes to. I didn't learn until recently that its wallhack wasn't mirrored to teammates. :(

But I've started to verbally tell them and knowledge is power, right?

3v3 as whoever you want, actually providing your team information feels like next level gameplay.

I solo queued into a season 3 game today with a team that was doing all kinds of talking and focusing and it was great, but my mic settings were low and nobody could hear me, so that blows.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The best 3v3 group is obviously D.va/Mercy/Soldier since I did that with two friends and we won like 9 games in a row.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

The best 3v3 group is obviously D.va/Mercy/Soldier since I did that with two friends and we won like 9 games in a row.

It is really good, and you almost always get your ult as Mercy.

I usually get Hanzo and Soldier in solo queue and the soldier almost always runs off and dies somewhere alone and cold but a boosted and healed Hanzo goes a long way even if I don't get ult.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

I don't get it.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Uhhhhhh what? I've never played comp before until this season. I did my placements (4W-2L-4D) and was placed in Gold with 2221sr? I'm pretty dogshit so it's going to be a fast and painful plunge back in the bronze depths where I surely belong

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Can I party up to do placements with someone after I have already done mine, or do we have to do them all at the same time if we want to be in a party?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

turtlecrunch posted:

Can I party up to do placements with someone after I have already done mine, or do we have to do them all at the same time if we want to be in a party?

The former. The only things that will stop you are if you're over rank 3000 or they're under level 25.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think this person was mad that I didn't pick a second healer, instead of Phara

If you want to stick to the 2 dps, 2 tank, 2 healer thing so badly go play competitive :shrug:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Theta Zero posted:

I don't get it.

I quoted the goon who posted that video, because Google Rewards surveyed me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Millennial Sexlord posted:

I quoted the goon who posted that video, because Google Rewards surveyed me about it.

Oh. That's weird.

Seriously, though. I hope they just straight port Symmetra over, she's great.