Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I bought the FJR I linked in the tell me what to buy thread.

I'm phone posting right now but tomorrow I'll get some good photos of it and talk about the fffffarkles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
loved my FJR(s) but man it is going to feel like a porker compared to your VFR

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jazzzzz posted:

loved my FJR(s) but man it is going to feel like a porker compared to your VFR

Feels bigger, yeah, but the weight was balanced well. I had it out for a half hour or so on the highway and some back roads and aside from feeling more upright and having more oomph on right hand twist, it wasn't like I had suddenly jumped on a Goldwing or something.

So aside from the Givi top case, it also has a "Two Brothers Juice Box" Power Commander-y thing, Throttlemeister bar ends, and the OEM heated grips option, and an aftermarket windscreen from a company I can't remember, as far as obvious add ons. I'll have to pop the airbox to see but I'd bet there's a K&N in there.

47k miles, single owner, dealer serviced, I think I did well. Can't wait to do some more riding tomorrow. My wife didn't want to go bike shopping with me today but tomorrow we have nothing on our schedule so she'll drive down with me and drive my car back. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting to go out now.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
I still feel like anything north of 3000 is crazy for a near 50k mile bike... but whatever I guess I'm just crotchety about Japanese stuff.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

The Bananana posted:

No reference. I just think more people need helicopters.

Of course you would.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endbuster posted:

I still feel like anything north of 3000 is crazy for a near 50k mile bike... but whatever I guess I'm just crotchety about Japanese stuff.

I don't know FJRs specifically but I feel like 50k is not that much for a big sport touring bike like that. They're designed to eat up lots of miles.

And hey, as long as it's been maintained well, anything goes. I know a guy with 120,000 miles (all his, year-round riding, religious maintenance) on a Sportster.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Keket posted:

Of course you would.

Hey buddeeeeeee

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

And hey, as long as it's been maintained well, anything goes. I know a guy with 120,000 miles (all his, year-round riding, religious maintenance) on a Sportster.

Is that without refreshing the top end? That would really surprise me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, knowing him I'm sure his regular maintenance cycle includes periodic top-end rebuilds.

But remember, if you do it before the engine blows, it's maintenance, not repairs! :eng101:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Whoops. Said I was going to get some good photos of my own of it today and didn't actually go back outside before the sun went down.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

No, knowing him I'm sure his regular maintenance cycle includes periodic top-end rebuilds.

But remember, if you do it before the engine blows, it's maintenance, not repairs! :eng101:

Top end refreshes on a unit evo is easy peasy. Costs about the same as two valve adjustments. And you do it like 1/8 as often.

There's no real interval on it anyway, you just do it when it needs it, 60-80k miles is pretty typical if you change the oil every so often.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

drat you! drat you all to hell!

Of course no note, no witnesses (happened overnight). Thankfully, no real damage, either. Just some new scuffs and I had to realign my left hand controls.

In 12 years of riding I never had a bike knocked over until October when this very bike suffered a similar fate (more damage, but they left a note, so I profited). And then it happens again in December! The world's goin' to hell, guys.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Trumps America. Let chaos reign.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

its all nice on rice posted:

Trumps America. Let chaos reign.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My fiance's scooter got knocked over (years ago) in Seattle. Whomever did it put the broken mirror on the the seat and left a note- "Someone saw me do this, so I'm pretending to write my info on this note. Sorry."

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

its all nice on rice posted:

My fiance's scooter got knocked over (years ago) in Seattle. Whomever did it put the broken mirror on the the seat and left a note- "Someone saw me do this, so I'm pretending to write my info on this note. Sorry."

I'd vote not guilty on a homicide charge if that note ended up being presented as a piece of evidence in the trial. Just sayin'.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've never had a bike knocked over (to my knowledge...) but when I parked the bike out on the street overnight ONE TIME someone dumped a bunch of red sticky poo poo like a melted slurpee all over the seat.

Also came out of a bar once (drinking iced tea like a boss) and found a bunch of drunks all hanging around the bike reeeeeallly close and one of them looking like he was about to hop on. No loving way

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'd vote not guilty on a homicide charge if that note ended up being presented as a piece of evidence in the trial. Just sayin'.

Eh, if someone in my apartment parking lot wrote "I hosed up and I can't afford to fix this, I'm sorry" on my bike when they knocked it over, I would have been half as angry as I was. I guess it's the Trump-esque ignoring your actions and screaming "I didn't do that even if you did catch me red handed, gently caress off" attitude that makes me crave finding them and presenting them with a court summons from a bloodthirsty lawyer that will sue the poo poo out of them for anything and everything.

I guess I get upset that most adults never grow out of the "I didn't do that, Nuh-UH" stage that your average healthy 10 year old realizes is bullshit, and that's what gets me bent about drivers. Like the guy/gal that cuts you off and throws their hands up at you when you honk, as if you're just honking for no reason. You dove across 2 lanes in a 4 lane road going 25 in a 45, own up to your stupidity like an adult, you idiot.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I'm moving house right now which sucks rear end because I only have a motorcycle license. Then this happened:

Oh unrelated note I also lost my wallet with my id, drivers license, debit card, credit card, and public transportation card. amazing week so far, how about you guys?

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Still without a job, selling collectables to make rent. Wont give up the bikes though because gently caress that. At least I have an inside man at the local prison and they're hiring correctional officers. That'd be a nice gig.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

karms posted:

Oh unrelated note I also lost my wallet with my id, drivers license, debit card, credit card, and public transportation card. amazing week so far, how about you guys?

same old poo poo, just a different day

Endbuster posted:

Still without a job, selling collectables to make rent. Wont give up the bikes though because gently caress that. At least I have an inside man at the local prison and they're hiring correctional officers. That'd be a nice gig.

Got any n64 games you're trying to unload?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm walking and drinking San Francisco soma for the day, jealous of your mild December weather.

Also jealous of your complete absence of rotten pine needle sludge.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

hot sauce posted:

Got any n64 games you're trying to unload?

I have tons of manuals to various N64 games, in mint condition. I could give you list but I don't have them handy, they're in storage. Off the top of my head: Ocarina of Time, Jet Force Gemini, Super Mario 64, Majora's Mask, Bomberman 64, StarFox 64, etc etc. Mostly "the classics."

I have two extremely rare SNES games: Super Turrican 2 and Harvest Moon (with instruction manual, used condition).

For Gameboy Advance: Super Robot Taisain

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Endbuster posted:

I have tons of manuals to various N64 games, in mint condition. I could give you list but I don't have them handy, they're in storage. Off the top of my head: Ocarina of Time, Jet Force Gemini, Super Mario 64, Majora's Mask, Bomberman 64, StarFox 64, etc etc. Mostly "the classics."

I have two extremely rare SNES games: Super Turrican 2 and Harvest Moon (with instruction manual, used condition).

For Gameboy Advance: Super Robot Taisain

Slightly related: my favorite n64 game was Road Rash 64 and is why I got into motorcycles in the first place.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

As Nero Danced posted:

Slightly related: my favorite n64 game was Road Rash 64 and is why I got into motorcycles in the first place.

Still don't know how the hell they got actual music to play on that game while 90% of the other N64 titles were bastardized MIDI tracks. That kinda shocked me the first time I played it, I thought it'd be like the Rock n' Roll Racing thing where they just had covers playing. Cool as poo poo.

Also I liked kicking cars in the Road Rash for the Genesis, and little did I know that I would really want to do that in real life years later. :argh:

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

As Nero Danced posted:

That stupid Deep Purple track makes me think of the game every time I hear it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

As Nero Danced posted:

Akira did it for me :c00lbert:

:lol: at 200 HP being insane. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b9akEQQJng

Endbuster posted:

Ugh, just go be a cop. COs are the worst. And prisons/jails suck unless you really enjoy beating on sections 8ers.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 7, 2016

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Akira did it for me :c00lbert:

:lol: at 200 HP being insane. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b9akEQQJng

Ugh, just go be a cop. COs are the worst. And prisons/jails suck unless you really enjoy beating on sections 8ers.

Even in the super duper rural rear end area? Lemme put it this way, I could probably huck a football from one side of the place to the other. We're talkin' regional jail here.

Also if I could get a spot in the police dept I would. But, you know... that is like 3 people and a Sheriff.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Endbuster posted:

Even in the super duper rural rear end area? Lemme put it this way, I could probably huck a football from one side of the place to the other. We're talkin' regional jail here.

Also if I could get a spot in the police dept I would. But, you know... that is like 3 people and a Sheriff.

Oh, nevermind. That blows.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Oh, nevermind. That blows.

mmmmhmmmm.

Yeah I had to go look up what a section 8er was. I didn't know that's what the 'projects' are. Jobs a job I guess.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Endbuster posted:

mmmmhmmmm.

Yeah I had to go look up what a section 8er was. I didn't know that's what the 'projects' are. Jobs a job I guess.

You got any hospitals out there? Mental health often hires guards as well. Not a bad gig if you don't mind poo and public masturbation, which CA should have prepared you for.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Ive worked in a county jail with a maximum inmate population of 36, averaging 25, for the past 7 years. It pays well, has good benefits, and we hire old lady grandmas to do the cooking so the inmates remain fat and happy. I had to go hands on with an inmate once, maybe twice, in those 7 years.

Not everywhere is a hellscape

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hah, nice. On top of the $7780 or whatever it came out to I got for the VFR, I just got a check in the mail from my insurance company for $22 for the drop in my rate moving from the VFR to an FJR. Old man bikes are cheap to insure, who knew.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

Ive worked in a county jail with a maximum inmate population of 36, averaging 25, for the past 7 years. It pays well, has good benefits, and we hire old lady grandmas to do the cooking so the inmates remain fat and happy. I had to go hands on with an inmate once, maybe twice, in those 7 years.

Not everywhere is a hellscape

Not all of us are lucky enough to get to live in Canada-lite.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Chichevache posted:

Not all of us are lucky enough to get to live in Canada-lite.

this is true but I decided to jump off the gravy train and go to school to get a degree so if any of you are looking for a cushy desk job in bumfuck maine, my 911 dispatch position will be posted publicly soon :v

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

EX250 Type R posted:

this is true but I decided to jump off the gravy train and go to school to get a degree so if any of you are looking for a cushy desk job in bumfuck maine, my 911 dispatch position will be posted publicly soon :v

What made you decide to get a degree? More money or actually getting a profession you like?

I've tried going to school multiple times and after 1 semester (I do still get a 4.0) I'm already tired of it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This is the part where I say something about not getting a degree unless you're being limited upward mobility wise at a place that you actually want to stay long-term, but I forget not all of us are in Dev/IT/NetSec/etc.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Endbuster posted:

What made you decide to get a degree? More money or actually getting a profession you like?

I've tried going to school multiple times and after 1 semester (I do still get a 4.0) I'm already tired of it.

less money but my gi bill will be expiring in a few years so its poo poo or get off the pot time. I did two semesters a few years ago and it was great but working full time on nights and going to school full time during the day killed me so I put it on pause for awhile.

I love my job but I am quite tired of dealing with other peoples misery and, while having money is gr8, happiness and sanity are so much better

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

EX250 Type R posted:

less money but my gi bill will be expiring in a few years so its poo poo or get off the pot time. I did two semesters a few years ago and it was great but working full time on nights and going to school full time during the day killed me so I put it on pause for awhile.

I love my job but I am quite tired of dealing with other peoples misery and, while having money is gr8, happiness and sanity are so much better

I planned on being really dumb and just using my GI Bill to pay for the rest of my dual engine ratings.

BlackMK4 posted:

This is the part where I say something about not getting a degree unless you're being limited upward mobility wise at a place that you actually want to stay long-term, but I forget not all of us are in Dev/IT/NetSec/etc.

Yeah pretty much. My plan is to get my foot in the door somewhere for a few months then cash in on my UAV Flight School ticket because UAVs man, they are fuckin' goin places and its free training. You get a TS outta the schoolhouse. I have sec plus cert. Pretty sure I can get a loving job at that point.

Right now its the most horrible holding pattern ever waiting on a school date with no jorb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

Degrees matter once you get high enough in any company, and/or once you get into a large enough company.