Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't really think 12 and 15 have much in common thematically, in terms of story structure, or in terms of gameplay to be honest, beyond the obvious FF comparisons. It's very easy for me to see someone who hated 12 liking 15 and vice-versa. (and 12 isn't one of my favorites but I'm enjoying 15.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really think 12 and 15 have much in common thematically, in terms of story structure, or in terms of gameplay to be honest, beyond the obvious FF comparisons. It's very easy for me to see someone who hated 12 liking 15 and vice-versa. (and 12 isn't one of my favorites but I'm enjoying 15.)

They're both open world final fantasies where you run around between towns and fields hunting monsters on side-quests in between doing story missions. The combat is closer to Kingdom Hearts than 12, but I still think if you liked 12 that you're almost assuredly going to like 15. If you liked 12 then you're already open to more action-based systems, even though 12 wasn't the same, it was still a departure from traditional turn based JRPGs and involved you controlling one character while giving orders to others, again like 15.

The stories are a bit different and yet still similar. You play royalty who is part of a smaller nation who was invaded by a large empire under the guise of a treaty. You wander around doing odd-jobs and hiding from the empire while learning about their plans and gathering your forces to strike back at them.

E: Both 12 and 15 feel like single-player MMOs to me, for better and worse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

They're both open world final fantasies where you run around between towns and fields hunting monsters on side-quests in between doing story missions.

Yeah but so is like, Lightning Returns, and I wouldn't feel comfortable saying someone who likes FF12 would like LR.

Unironically, I'd recommend XV to someone who likes LR before someone who likes 12. XV is a lot closer in a lot of ways to LR in terms of gameplay and overall design, though obviously still markedly different.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
12 is similar to 15 like how Uncharted is similar to tomb raider

in that if you use the broadest strokes possible, you can say they play and tell their stories the same

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
I'm getting this game monday and I wonder if the japanese voice acting is better than the english va.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tae posted:

12 is similar to 15 like how Uncharted is similar to tomb raider

in that if you use the broadest strokes possible, you can say they play and tell their stories the same

IDK about all that, each FF is pretty different than each other and 12 and 15 share a ton of similarities that you can't say about any other numbered FF.

LR may also be a fair comparison too, I haven't played it but from what I've seen they tried to wrangle something more like XV out of XIII's engine.

haris pilton posted:

I'm getting this game monday and I wonder if the japanese voice acting is better than the english va.

If you generally like Japanese VO then its probably "better" and sounds a little more serious? I like the way they say each other's names more in Japanese, IDK.

But the English sounds good and they clearly put work into it, its perfectly reasonable to get by in. So I've played mostly in English.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gladio is probably the worst but he's not *bad*, Ignis is a bit worse than his Jap counterpart but in a fnny way, Noctis is about the same and does good, and Prompto shines like a morning star over the demon that is Japanese Prompto.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

Gladio is probably the worst but he's not *bad*, Ignis is a bit worse than his Jap counterpart but in a fnny way, Noctis is about the same and does good, and Prompto shines like a morning star over the demon that is Japanese Prompto.

Yeah, Prompto's English voice acting is easily the best performance in the game.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Managed to finish Castlemark, and also took down the first key dungeon.

Still having fun, but high level mobs are crazy HP sponges. Like, I have weapons that give over 1000+ ATK, and I'm still spending forever killing poo poo.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

haris pilton posted:

Actually the english acting is good, capisce?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I don't understand the comments of people who say this is a "weird game"

plot may be stupid or bad or whatever but that's to be expected by now, you play these games to level up and kill cactuars not to have deep discussions about the plot, that's like going to watch a Marvel movie and complaining that the good guys win at the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

El Hefe posted:

plot may be stupid or bad or whatever but that's to be expected by now, you play these games to level up and kill cactuars not to have deep discussions about the plot, that's like going to watch a Marvel movie and complaining that the good guys win at the end.

A whole lot of people do in fact play FF games to have deep discussions of the plot.

Edit: Like people are still regularly discuss the plot of FF7 which is about two decades old and translated by interns.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

El Hefe posted:

That's going too far, story is pretty important in FF games. In the old days, story was what kept you going on disc 3 when the turn based combat started to drag on.

But story in FF games has never been perfect or without flaw either. So its kinda to be expected. The story isn't great but its got some cool stuff going on, more as you get into it (it starts out pretty simple) but pretty much all standard FF fare. Unless this is your first FF, you should expect some of the story to be mixed. And the action here is better than pretty much any other FF game, so that also makes up for some story being a little less than some other FFs.

But I would not say that you play FF6 or FF7 to kill cactuars and level up, that's going too far.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

ImpAtom posted:

A whole lot of people do in fact play FF games to have deep discussions of the plot.

Edit: Like people are still regularly discuss the plot of FF7 which is about two decades old and translated by interns.

I mean of course they exist, you also only need to take a peek at the movie forum to see superhero movie threads all have a billion posts each but still, lol at those people.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The story of me going out to hunt some animals only to decide to infiltrate an Imperial base and then tear it apart bit by bit, culminating in an epic showdown with an absolute army of evil robots and two commanders in mechs with explosions and magic and woooooooooooaaaaaaaah :supaburn: is the best storytelling that I've ever seen in an FF

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Prompto's gravity gun technique is real good. The radius on the black hole mob grouping effect is pretty big, it lasts a while and it seems to stun the mobs while it has them held in place.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
You only need to look at the voice actor's strike to realize how little game companies care about the plot in their games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The strawest of men

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Managed to finish Castlemark, and also took down the first key dungeon.

Still having fun, but high level mobs are crazy HP sponges. Like, I have weapons that give over 1000+ ATK, and I'm still spending forever killing poo poo.

That dungeon is brutal as hell. Red Giants in particular have crazy health pools - I've run into a couple in the open-world that are 25 levels below me and still took forever to kill. They do have a block --> parry ---> counter attack that lets you do a giant chunk of damage to them, which seems to be the only way to kill them even remotely quickly, but they don't seem to use the blockable attack very often, and if there's more than one, one of them is usually using that gravity attack that makes it really hard to set up.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

El Hefe posted:

The story in almost every final fantasy game is stupid, but they are usually at least cohesive and tell a whole story from beginning to end. This game feels like the development team built lots of set pieces and mechanics and then 6 months ago they realized that they were running out of time and had to duct tape it all together, which ends up leaving weird gaps in the storytelling. I'm in chapter 9 and there have been several points where it felt like I was doing main quest objectives (not side quests) just because the quest log tells me to rather than because it actually makes any sense in the context of the story. Its not weird because its bad, its weird because the story feels rushed and unfinished despite otherwise being a mostly pretty polished game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Square should ditch the anime poo poo and just embrace a full on road trip game.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i do like that they learned from ff13 and introduced the open world fun part immediately instead of right before the end of the game

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

So having finished the game, a question:

So was Ardyn a good person/saved the world at one point who just got hosed over by the gods/a Jealous king? Is what he actually did ever explained more in side stuff?

That combined with the fact Noct basically has to die to save the world makes the gods kinda assholes?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They should find the person who thought they should spend their limited development time to fully flesh out Chapter 13 and shoot them. It's easily the most boring and uninteresting part of the whole game.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
gladio's AI is the only AI that seems even slightly competent

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Thumbtacks posted:

gladio's AI is the only AI that seems even slightly competent

I think that's because he has high HP and big sweeping attacks. Ignis and Prompto are weak but have good single target DPS.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

El Hefe posted:

You only need to look at the voice actor's strike to realize how little game companies care about the plot in their games.

You only need to look at how little most of the hundred fold people who make the game get paid and how many hours they work in a week before being unceremoniously fired at the end of the project because there's no promise of future work to realise how little they care about making good, bug free and fully functional games, by that metric.

(It doesn't tell you anything other than companies maximise profit)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there a good way to know which items you get are okay for selling and which ones you need to keep for quests?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Is there a good way to know which items you get are okay for selling and which ones you need to keep for quests?

Not really. To be honest I wouldn't sell any times you can't easily farm up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of annoying when their descriptions are all "Yeah, go ahead and sell this."

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Are there no cool treasures in the final boss room of the Crestholm Channels? I mean I don't really mind, the boss was its own reward, but come on!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

El Hefe posted:

this game was written in japan, where there is no such voice actor strike

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The Japanese Noctis actually shows emotion before a certain chapter. He's a hoot with his unique dialogue in the secret dungeon also, where I have no idea how the English noctis sounds. Watched a playthrough of it afterwards and heard no sounds from his Notcis. Lame if they only kept those bits in Japanese audio.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

English Noctis is very good

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Kind of annoying when their descriptions are all "Yeah, go ahead and sell this."

Agreed. It took me forever to find another rusted bit because I had already sold the two I found. Now I'm short on Gil but have 200k in treasures I don't wanna sell because I don't wanna have to go through that again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wouldn't worry about it too much, most things if you got em you can get em again pretty easy. So I sell most things and keep a few for magic crafting.

It was hilarious though when I talked to the chef and he sent me on a quest to get some steaks, followed by Gladio immediately saying "we better get these back while they're still fresh" because I already had them in my inventory :v: That sure was a fast quest!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If you can be arsed playing up to 99 treasureboxes of Justice Monster V on the 10k Gil machine you can score half a million Gil by selling the item you get :v:

Arist posted:

English Noctis is very good

When he's good he's very good.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I don't have any links handy but just search through reddit or gamefaqs for the weapon upgrade item list. There are only a few items you collect that you need to keep for upgrades, and everything else is only useful for the purposes of making magic. So if you don't care about the magic bonus, you can generally sell whatever you want.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

gladio is the only english vo i find lacking and that's mainly because you can tell right away the sort of performance the japanese voice actor would be giving to him, and it's not really a sort of character that works in english

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i really haven't found much i needed to buy

• Locked thread