Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I can assume that Ronove has stupidly smug and flamboyant voice and dialect right, I'd be disappointed if he didn't. Also loving that the whole point of that scene was just so Beatrice could confirm that it's gonna get much weirder from here, so hold on to your butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Fabulousvillain posted:

I can assume that Ronove has stupidly smug and flamboyant voice and dialect right, I'd be disappointed if he didn't. Also loving that the whole point of that scene was just so Beatrice could confirm that it's gonna get much weirder from here, so hold on to your butts.

Without hearing his voice, I can only assume Ronove sounds just like Snagglepuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoLCDrOJGV0

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Would the thread like a video of the scene to hear Ronove's dulcet tones in the real world?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ProfessorProf posted:

Would the thread like a video of the scene to hear Ronove's dulcet tones in the real world?

Yeah. That would be cool.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

ProfessorProf posted:

I actually kind of want to leave it to my imagination, but why not. There might not be another chance to hear it anyway.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

ProfessorProf posted:

I think that would be for the best.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
OK, I'll get it recorded tonight.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I like how Beatrice points at Ronove and says "see? This guy is a devil so he's proof that devils exist". While pointing at this total human looking dude. I'm sure that will be much more convincing than goats with lightsabers and golden butterflies and resurrection, Beato.

Also, Beatrice is doing this thing over and over again, giving Battler a chance to beat her and the other people a chance to solve the riddle. I wonder - is she doing this because Battler doesn't believe, or is it because of the first lesson we ever learned about "magic" - to accomplish great things you have to take great risks. Every time she could lose but doesn't, she seems to gain power.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

:aaaaa: Well! I was anticipating the demon Ronove to show up in some form or another, as indicated by that effortpost I did however long ago, but I definitely wasn't anticipating anything like this.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Added to previous update: A Devil's Proof. Ronove's voice is brought to us by the one and only Tomokazu Sugita.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

ProfessorProf posted:

Added to previous update: A Devil's Proof. Ronove's voice is brought to us by the one and only Tomokazu Sugita.

Dulcet tones indeed. Demonic Jeeves, you're okay in my book.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Solovey posted:

:aaaaa: Well! I was anticipating the demon Ronove to show up in some form or another, as indicated by that effortpost I did however long ago, but I definitely wasn't anticipating anything like this.

We were all really impressed when you called that so early. On the other hand, the updated version of the VN mentions Genji's first name all the time, with the addition of text boxes. I think the original version only lists it in the profile.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looking at the conversation. It appears that the 7 Stakes despite the names are not actual demons. Or else the Devils proof thing probably would have been brought up.

Given Asmodeus is also among the 72, I am guessing there is a Asmodeus from the Goetia and the Stake named for him are different beings.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Looking at the conversation. It appears that the 7 Stakes despite the names are not actual demons. Or else the Devils proof thing probably would have been brought up.

Given Asmodeus is also among the 72, I am guessing there is a Asmodeus from the Goetia and the Stake named for him are different beings.

This is correct. Despite the demonic names, The 7 Sisters of Purgatory are furniture created by the witch, while Ronove is explicitly one of the demons of the Key of Solomon that formed a contract with Beato.

Furthermore, witches and demons exist.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well, duh. :rolleyes:

That's been made pretty obvious over the last two games.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Updated the beginning of the episode to include the pre-episode blurb.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Pretty sure Beatrice wasn't trying to make a legit formal proof out of the whole thing, but more making a joke or wry comment. "Remember you were talking about that Devil's Proof? Well, here's a devil haha see what I did there anyways magic is real"

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

oath2order posted:

This is correct. Despite the demonic names, The 7 Sisters of Purgatory are furniture created by the witch, while Ronove is explicitly one of the demons of the Key of Solomon that formed a contract with Beato.

Furthermore, witches and demons exist.

I think the distinction is that the Sisters/Stakes are explicitly meant to be the embodiment of the sin, and thus take on the names of the demons most associated with that sin? So that Asmodeus is more the "Lust" part than the "demon" part, and assumedly all the others would be the same.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

October 4th, 1986, 8:00 PM

Without even being allowed to wait for dessert, we were chased out of the room. I heard that, in the end, our parents were unable to get Grandfather to respond.

...Well, I hate to say it, but I feel like giving Grandfather a high five right now. He was probably pretty satisfied with how his strange letter had given his children a good shock, since they'd all been so infatuated with the inheritance problem while Grandfather was still alive. I also felt like our despicable parents had gotten what they deserved in all of this confusion. But I couldn't really say that I was feeling great. I felt all sulky. Apparently, Grandfather hadn't seemed concerned with the whole thing, but he also hadn't denied anything about the letter either.

If Grandfather knew that someone was stealing his name, then considering his character, he'd probably be mad with rage. But even though Grandfather now knew the contents of that letter, he coldly ignored it. So, did that count as a silent yes?

Aunt Eva and Dad were trying to interpret the letter in their favor, their greed clearly visible. It wouldn't have mattered so much if that was all, but the adults had now started focusing on Maria, who had received the letter. They kept pounding her with questions about who had given it to her. Maria repeated over and over again that she had gotten it from Beatrice, but there was no way such a mysterious person could've sneaked onto the island. After all, this island's small, and there's no one living on it outside the Ushiromiya family household. Maria kept repeating that she'd gotten it from Beatrice no matter how many times she was asked. The adults seemed to think she was trying to trick them, so they didn't hold back and questioned her until she broke out in tears...

When Maria was released, she sobbed, all worn out from crying. After our parents ordered us to go to the guesthouse and take Maria with us, they shut themselves up in the dining hall and started getting louder and louder as they discussed the inheritance. It seemed that, because of that strange letter, Uncle Krauss's chances of becoming the next Head might've been reduced to a blank slate, and in exchange for accepting him, my dad and the rest were trying to swindle Uncle Krauss out of a lot of money... or something like that.

We didn't want to be under the same roof as those filthy adults, their heads so filled with thoughts about money. George-aniki pleaded on our parents' behalf, saying that he wanted us to understand them. I understood his reasoning. No matter how filthy this talk of money was, it wouldn't go away if you just closed your eyes to it. But even so, how could they sink so low as to overtly fight over the money of the dead...?

Maria had cried herself dry and was hiding in her bed. She hadn't even twitched for a while, so she was probably sleeping...

BGM: Voiceless

"George nii-san, you can't ask her that anymore. Isn't it fine to say that Maria got it from Beatrice and leave it at that...?"
"After all, we don't want to make her cry any more than this."

Even though we said that, we couldn't clear away a gloomy feeling.

"There are only 18 people on this island now. The thought that, somewhere in the rain, a 19th person gave Maria-chan that letter and is now hiding somewhere... doesn't seem realistic at all."
"Most likely, somebody got Shannon or someone to put on the dress from that portrait... and cleverly got Maria to go along with their story. Though, in Maria's case, just seeing the dress would probably convince her that it really was Beatrice."
"Maybe it doesn't really matter who handed her the letter. The important thing is who sent it. The point is that Grandfather wanted to cause an uproar by assuming the name of the witch. Seriously, that old geezer's good at riling people up."

The most likely answer is that our occult-loving Grandfather was playing around, handing the letter over to Maria, who shares the same hobby as he does, in such a dramatic way. Though, he failed to give any thought for what Maria would have to go through, making it a pretty lovely thing to do...

"Seriously. Messing around with Maria's pure heart... It doesn't matter who handed the letter over. Maria says she got it from Beatrice, so let's treat it that way."
"I agree. Let's do that. To Maria-chan, Beatrice is kind of like what Santa Claus is to most kids."
"Whether we're dealing with some nonexistent 19th person or Santa Claus, as long as we all acknowledge them, they'll at least 'exist' inside Maria. I see, guess it can be important to lie to a child to protect their dreams."
"...Hmm? What's up, Jessica? Are you still angry?"

Jessica had her hand on her chin, as though there was something that she just couldn't understand. When I called out to her, she came to her senses.

"...What do you mean by that? Are you saying there's a 19th person on this island?"
"If you truly take Maria-chan's words to heart, then you would arrive at that answer."
"No, that's not what I mean. I'm talking about the story that someone we don't know has been living on this island since long ago."
"Living, you say? Where?"

Krauss strongly claimed that the letter was a simple prank, but he couldn't overturn the claim that Kinzo's failure to deny the letter was answer enough. Judging by Kinzo's character, if he knew that a letter had been written in his name, he would be mad with rage. Since all of the siblings knew that, Krauss had no choice but to withdraw his claim.

BGM: At Death's Door

The person who could solve the witch's epitaph would receive the Headship and assets. This did a lot of damage to Krauss, who had been sure that he would receive the Headship, and was better news than the rest of them, who had already given up, could have hoped for.

However, there were some points that worried them. 'The person who solved the epitaph' was not limited to a member of the Ushiromiya family. Taken literally, anyone, no matter how doubtful their origin, might receive the Headship. And furthermore, this meant there was a chance that all of the Ushiromiya family's assets would be stolen by some unknown person. In that sense, it was definitely not a situation where even the other siblings could afford to lower their guard.

...But they could say one thing for certain. Maria had... received this problematic letter... today, on this island.

In other words, someone planning something to do with that letter was on this island today. Had it been set up by Kinzo, one of the four siblings, or maybe some unknown person? No matter how much they suspected each other, they couldn't reach a conclusion. After getting tired of bickering with each other, they finally reached the extremely obvious conclusion that doubting each other was just a waste of time...

"That's right. And the mere fact that you've realized it means we won't have to waste any more time."
"It is not certain that Father sent the letter. My husband is merely exasperated by your inability to hold a conversation."
"Who's unable to hold a conversation? You keep yelling at me every time I say something. Do you truly think that such shameful behavior is fitting for a member of the Ushiromiya family?"
"Would you give it a rest, Eva? You too, Natsuhi-san. That topic's finished for now."
"Sh-Shall we all cool our heads off for now? Let's have some cool drinks brought over."
"That sounds good. It would probably be wiser if we cooled our heads. Don't you want to take a short break too, dear?"
"...Aneki looks like she's in a bad mood, so I'll pass on that break. But I agree about the cool drinks. Rosa, have someone bring some water. A whole pitcher."
"Yes, understood..."

Rosa headed over to the extension telephone in a corner of the room and called the servant room. She then passed on what Rudolf had told her to the person on the other end. The vicious bickering up until now vanished as though it had been a lie. That silence continued until Gohda finished setting the table and retreated from the room...

"No. Please leave us."
"Yes. Then if you will excuse me. If you need anything, call me at any time."

After listening to the sound of Gohda's footsteps disappear off into the distance, everyone took a deep breath at the same time to break the tension.

BGM: Witch in Gold

"I-I wonder. They might be able to escape the rain there, but it would be quite cold."
"...A mysterious 19th person as a visitor. Sounds pretty interestin', just like a mystery novel. Normally, in that kind of story, it's a safe bet that the person doesn't exist, that one of us 18 would be fakin' it."
"...I suspect Genji and the others. Just as I thought, it would have been better if we had dismissed all of the servants of the One-Winged Eagle, no matter what excuses we had to make."
"Come now, don't say that. We must be grateful for their long years of service. Of course, we can't let our guard down."
"I'm sure you agree too, Nii-san, that whether or not Father was behind this, the person who handed Maria the letter was a servant."
"Indeed. In any event, we were all being 'friendly' in our big happy circle until dinner, weren't we? All of the siblings have alibis. Only a servant could have handed Maria that letter."
"...But all of the servants... said that they were too busy with the bed-making to have any spare time during which they could go to Maria-chan in the rose garden..."
"Hey hey, what are you trying to say then? You aren't saying that the witch of the forest, Beatrice-sama, came over and actually handed Maria that letter, are you?"
"Ahahaha. Rosa, you used to believe in that so much, it really frightened you, right? Don't tell me you still believe at this age. In the witch of the forest."

"O-Of course not... I just thought that since all 18 of us said we didn't do it, there might really be a 19th person..."
"That can't be. In the first place, we were the only ones who came in on that boat. We didn't see any mysterious stranger ridin' with us. You don't think they coulda swam across this rough sea, right? I can't really imagine it. Wahahahahahaha."
"...Logically, that's true. It is difficult to imagine that there's a single hidden and uninvited guest on this isolated island... However, it looks like some of us still can't abandon the possibility completely, right?"

Hideyoshi had laughed it off, saying there couldn't be a 19th person, but Kyrie had sensitively picked up on the delicate atmosphere among the four siblings. In a normal situation, there shouldn't have been any uninvited guests on this small, isolated island.

How would they have come here, and from where, and where were they hiding? And why hadn't they appeared openly, even though they had sent a letter in their name? Nothing could explain that. But not only had the four siblings not joined in on Hideyoshi's laughing, they also seemed unable to completely deny in their hearts the possibility of a 19th person...

"...Is this another topic to insult Father? Simply speaking of such a thing is a betrayal against him."
"*giggle*giggle* I wonder. However, this is Father we're talking about. It could be possible, right?"
"...I-I don't know anything..."
"What's this, what's this? Why's everyone gotten so gloomy...? What are you talkin' about? In short, the legend of the witch isn't a joke, but a fact? That's ridiculous!"
"Hahahaha. Of course, nobody believes in some witch riding a broom and flying in the sky. But the woman in that portrait, Beatrice, might really have existed on this island."
"...Hideyoshi-san, it looks like we aren't talking about a witch, but something a little simpler. So, it must be something like this."

BGM: Corridor of the Sands of Purgatory

"Father was always exemplary at keeping strictly to the rules! It is completely inconceivable that he would bring something so filthy onto this island...!"

Natsuhi snapped at them immediately, but it looked like the four siblings, including Krauss, didn't agree. On the contrary, they appeared to think Kinzo wouldn't even have hesitated to do something like that. From the beginning, it had been whispered that Kinzo had built a mansion on this island specifically because of the existence of an entrancing mistress...

"...I'm sorry, Natsuhi-san. I know how much you respect Dad, but that rumor's been around for a long time. All the buildings on Rokkenjima were built by Dad on his own."
"...People've always guessed he had some contraption or secret room set up in this mansion that only he knew about, and it's always been whispered that, hidden somewhere on this island, there's a secret mansion none of us know about."
"I see. This island might look small on a map, but it's quite large for just the Ushiromiya family to live on. .So people have suspected that he built a secret mansion somewhere in the uncivilized forest for his mistress to live in? That would be quite a large-scale scheme."
"In the beginning, people thought it might be somewhere inside this mansion. That there might be a hidden basement, with a fabulous hidden room, where the witch in that portrait was secretly hiding. After seeing that intricate auto-lock on Dad's study, it isn't too hard to imagine, right?"
"...After all, Father did spread the rumor that a large amount of gold was hidden somewhere by some mechanism. I wouldn't be surprised if there existed some hidden room inside this very mansion that none of us knows about yet."
"When Mother was alive, she would often scour the entire mansion searching for Father when he wasn't anywhere to be found. Mother also suspected what Rudolf just said. She believed there was a hidden door or stairway somewhere, and that his blonde-haired mistress was hidden behind it."

It's hard to believe, but there are some actual examples in other countries of people cheating with someone over a period of several decades by making them live in a hidden attic room. Furthermore, Kinzo had a mansion this extravagant. It was possible to suspect the existence of a hidden room...

"Well, as you know, this is a lonely island without anything but the Ushiromiya mansion on it. When Rosa and I were little brats, on stormy nights, we got so scared by the sound of trees rustling in the direction of the forest. We had this crazy delusion that something weird might be looking out at us from between those trees. It's only natural for a brat to think of stuff like that."
"...But when Rosa and I complained about it, some people figured it was more than a brat's imagination. Isn't that right, Aneki?"
"...Yeah. Nii-san and I thought you might've coincidentally spotted Father's mistress, living in secrecy on this island, as she went out for a walk when no one was looking. Of course, Mother felt the same."
"...Even among the older servants, you often heard that ghost story about how the witch of the portrait wanders the mansion at midnight. Outwardly, I laughed it off as just a ghost story, but on the inside, I suspected very much that it hinted at the existence of a hidden mistress."
"In that case, you're sayin' that the existence of a 19th person... might not be completely ridiculous? That they might actually be somewhere around here...?"
"...Sounds like one of those 'Devil's Proofs' Rudolf's always talking about. It might be possible to prove that there is a 19th person, but it's impossible to prove that a 19th person doesn't exist. Should we continue this discussion under the assumption that there's a person named Beatrice hiding somewhere on this island...?"
"That's a good plan, from the perspective of risk management. It's probably much more prudent to say she might exist, rather than saying she couldn't exist."
"I-I see. Sorry, I was a bit careless... Rosa-san, sorry for laughin' just now..."
"Huh, ah... it's fine, I don't mind."

Silence fell again. Preparing for the existence of a 19th person... would mean, in effect, acknowledging the presence of some unknown person hidden on this island. And since this person might be planning something shady, it was only natural that the conversation would turn in an ominous direction...

"...In the past, Father would sometimes suddenly disappear without telling anyone where he went. After all, he is a man who values silence. It wouldn't have been out of the ordinary for him to shut himself up in some library room after purposefully not telling anyone where he was going."
"...However, when the witch theory was slowly refined into the theory about his mistress, people eventually whispered that he was secretly going back and forth to see her."
"Mom was totally paranoid in her last years. She'd sometimes suddenly start making a fuss, asking the servants to start looking for Dad immediately because of some urgent situation."
"...Yes, that did happen sometimes. Mother was always doing things like that in her later years, and that frightening atmosphere still hasn't gone away. I can say it for certain now. She was a person to be pitied."
"So then, what happened with those large-scale searches of the house? Did they find anythin'?"

BGM: Lure

"...But it was always some place where the servants had already looked. We never knew where Father had gone. Even at that time, Grandfather was famous for his occult inclinations, so some of the servants exaggerated, saying that he might have turned into butterflies and danced around the rose garden."
"So in short, Father frequently disappeared, and no one knew where he went."
"Yeah. Since we couldn't find him no matter how much we looked inside the mansion, we got more and more sure that Dad might've been somewhere outside. But the area outside the mansion isn't large at all... Which leaves only the forest."
"And if you tie that in with the legend of the witch, you get a theory like this: Father actually built a hidden mansion somewhere in the forest, inside of which a mistress by the name of Beatrice lived, and he sometimes went to see her."
"...I was also young at the time. I was so eager to find where Father was having his affair that, at one time, I followed him when he went outside."
"...Of course, it was a failure. Every time Father went out, he was oddly intent on avoiding places where he might be seen... and was extremely careful to prevent anyone from spotting him. And, he was extraordinarly earnest in his attempts to do so. But that actually made me sure. He must have been going out for some reason that the members of his family couldn't know about."
"And that'd be going to meet his mistress. Probably tryin' to avoid being seen."

After seeing Hideyoshi nod and say 'yes, yes' as though this was quite obvious, Eva got a little sullen.

"...Well, anyway, this island was like a sketchbook in which Father, with his Western obsession, could draw out all of his dreams. Everything about this island was exactly how Father wanted it. It wouldn't be odd at all if there was a hidden mansion somewhere for his mistress to live in..."

Eva's words spoke for what all of the siblings had come to think. For a while, the room returned to silence again, and everyone listened to the sound of the wind and rain...

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

I think the distinction is that the Sisters/Stakes are explicitly meant to be the embodiment of the sin, and thus take on the names of the demons most associated with that sin? So that Asmodeus is more the "Lust" part than the "demon" part, and assumedly all the others would be the same.

Even this doesn't really hold true, if you look at the profiles we already have for them. Some of them seemingly embody their sin fairly well (Leviathan, Beelzebub), some of them induce it in others (Belphegor) and others are just sorta kinda embodying it (Lucifer, who is indeed incredibly prideful, but at the same time feels pleasure in submission - not something you would really expect from the embodiment of Pride).

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hideyoshi seems too pure. I'm not going to suspect him of being Beatrice this go around, unless Eva's chapter reveals that he has secret dark side. Even then, I'd imagine his definition of evil to be fairly innocuous.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

given we're seeing more, while this looks like it's shaping to be Eva's chapter, I'm hoping we'll learn a bit more about Kyrie this time around as out of all the adults, she's the most enigmatic.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Oh, a new Umineko LP? How far did we get in the last one? Was it past here?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
If memory serves, I'll be catching up to the old one in about four updates.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cool. I don't remember past here, but I'll hold off my speculating till we get there.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

Hideyoshi seems too pure. I'm not going to suspect him of being Beatrice this go around, unless Eva's chapter reveals that he has secret dark side. Even then, I'd imagine his definition of evil to be fairly innocuous.

Even then, I have trouble imagining him in that dress.

oath2order fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 2, 2016

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

oath2order posted:

Yes. There we go. The true form of the culprit of Rokkejima has been revealed. Ahahaha.

(This beautiful, never stop)

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Everyone thought they were being too suspicious, and they hesitated for a long time without speaking, but everyone shared a common opinion. Kyrie, who had been listening the whole time with her eyes closed, spoke to no one in particular.

"...How long has this rumor about Father's mistress been around?"
"As soon as we moved to this island, about 30 years ago. After all, it probably would've been impossible for him to have a hidden mansion built while we were here. People and materials would have to be going in and out. It would've been exposed quickly. So, if it was possible, it happened before we moved here. It probably could've been built along with this mansion when we were still living in Odawara."
"Since Father had to set up a double life with his family and his mistress, it's probably reasonable to assume that he had it all planned from the beginning. And his relationship with that mistress probably went back to the days when we lived in Odawara."
"Probably. If, as Father says, she is the source of the vast amount of gold he used to gain the funds that resurrected the Ushiromiya family, we could probably conclude that they had a close relationship since Odawara. A relationship trusting enough for her to lend him a vast quantity of gold. I can't even imagine how old that relationship must have been."
"...Perhaps Father gave her some kind of valuable advice for succeeding in business. It's natural to think that, out of a sense of gratitude for that, this person gave Father the gold. If you think about it that way, it's obvious that they would have a close relationship after that. Rather than a festering relationship with a mistress, it was probably a relationship of gratitude to the person who saved the Ushiromiya family from its crisis."
"...That way of looking at it might have some sense to it too. But, even in that case, isn't building a hidden mansion and havin' her live in it going a bit too far? Doesn't that mean they felt something a bit more than gratitude?"
"Well, this is all just speculation. In the first place, no one's ever found that hidden mansion. Aniki, you were planning on expanding this island into a resort, right? As you were doing that, you didn't manage to stumble on it by chance, did you? Maybe you even bumped into some gold there, too."
"...Hahahaha. Do you think Rokkenjima is Treasure Island or something?"
"Don't play dumb. We know that, although you say you're opening a resort, you have really been planning to investigate the entire island, right? Judging by all that trouble and confusion we were talking about earlier, you haven't been very successful, have you?"
"I don't know what you're talking about, but it's a misunderstanding. Isn't it perfectly natural that investigating this island would be the first step in turning it into a resort?"

Krauss tried to play dumb, but it was plainly obvious to his siblings, who knew him so well. Krauss was definitely sure of the existence of a hidden mansion. And under the pretense of opening a resort, he had been closely investigating the island, searching for a clue as to the location of the hidden gold. They couldn't tell whether that conviction was just him overthinking things, or whether it was based on some physical proof.

Still, if Krauss, with all his guile, was sure, that was enough proof for the other siblings to be sure too...

"...The story about a witch livin' in a forest is obviously a fairy tale, but the story about some blonde-haired girl livin' secretly in a mansion no one knows about in the middle of the forest... isn't much better."
"That's right. That really would be just like a fairy tale. You like those, don't you, Rosa?"
"...Huh, w-well..."
"When the mansion was built on this island, Father was at the height of his prosperity. With his money, he could probably obtain anything, make any of his wild imaginings real. A mansion in the forest where a witch quietly waits... It sounds like the kind of situation Father would like."
"...Doesn't it? Like something from the occult or a fairy tale. It feels like Dad's kind of hobby."

Even this hastily thrown together theory... might not be completely delusional, considering all of Kinzo's strange habits and his vast wealth...

"...It might not have been impossible for Father to build a hidden mansion to satisfy his dreams. However, let's be realistic. Would it be possible to house his beloved woman in that hidden mansion for decades without it becoming inconvenient...?"
"...Well, if there was love, it could've been doable, right?"
"Think of the facilities needed to let his beloved woman live healthily. And in a way that would satisfy Father. For example, even if it was on a small scale, it would have to be an intricate and pleasant residence."
"And it would probably need to have... electricity, gas, and running water maintained, as well as some people to see to her needs. Even cooking would be quite difficult. She would need clothes and makeup, the daily necessities. The needs of a woman aren't simple. Would it be possible to maintain all of that without any of the family or the servants noticing?"
"...When you say it that way, it sure sounds like a weak point in our theory. But that isn't enough to get rid of my feeling that Dad might've been able to do it anyway. After all, it's Dad we're talking about."
"That's right... It's our Father."
"If Father wanted to succeed in an endeavor, he would succeed no matter what. Saying that something would be difficult for a normal person and therefore impossible... doesn't apply when it comes to Father."
"Indeed. You should never underestimate Father. Father's madness can't be understood by normal people."

As long as you stick to this phrase, a considerable amount of credibility can dwell in any absurd story. However, that didn't cause the importance of what Kyrie had said to waver. This was different from stealthily raising a kitten in a cardboard box and keeping it a secret from your parents. Taking care of a person in secret over a period of 30 years would be an incalculably massive task...

"...After all, Father's Legend of the Gold started before he gained possession of Rokkenjima. That'd mean his relationship with his mistress was over 30 years long... How old would that make her? In the worst case, she could be as old as us or older, right?"
"...By that age, the body starts to break down. I don't care what the mansion's like, I wouldn't use the word 'agreeable' to describe livin' in a place where people's eyes can't reach, almost like she was under house arrest..."
"That's right. If what Father told us about Beatrice is true, then that relationship has lasted for over 30 years. She might've been a charming young woman at the time, but it probably makes sense to assume she's an old bag like us now. I can easily imagine that, given the contents of that letter."
"You should talk. Heheheh."

Krauss laughed as if none of this applied to him. Of course, Eva was offended, but she didn't strike back.
"Quit it, Aniki. So if everything we're thinking's true, then she should be joining in on Dad's inheritance problem with her head held high. After all, there's a good chance their love was mutual, unlike with Mom. Even if she knows she's his mistress, she might also be proud to be his true wife."
"...That is an insult to Mother."
"Yeah, sorry. However, everyone knows that it was a political marriage decided on by the elders among his relatives. Because of that, it definitely wouldn't be strange for Dad to have a mistress."

However, in the beginning, the elder relatives treated Kinzo like a dummy and influenced him powerfully, almost like he was a puppet. He wasn't permitted to decide anything by himself, not even his marriage partner... Ever since he met that Golden Witch Beatrice in those distant days, Kinzo's Legend of the Gold was quickly embellished into something dramatic.

In other words, it could mean... that Kinzo really did find a woman he loved. If she also knew the whole story, even if they weren't marriage partners, it wouldn't have been odd for her to consider herself his true wife inside her heart. And now, the person registered as his true wife was already dead...

"...I see. I'm starting to see the purpose of this letter. The Headship goes to the one who solves the riddle of the epitaph... Is that what it means...?"
"Even if that mistress was added into the family ranking system, she isn't a direct relative of Father, so she'd be inferior even to the children. In other words, she'd be one step below Rosa in rank. That wouldn't be a good position to enter the battle for the Headship from."
"I see, so that's it. If someone can solve the witch's riddle, they'll get the Headship regardless of rank. In other words, it's the most advantageous condition Beatrice could possibly get, since she's got no chance otherwise."

She had built that wealth together with Kinzo, so it was natural that she would think of herself as the one who should inherit it... It would also be natural for her to despise the thought of giving it up to the children of the wife Kinzo never loved.

"H-How could she be so impudent...?! Even if such a mistress actually exists, joining in on the battle for the rights to the Head's inheritance would be a reckless action far above her place! What disregard for her own position...!"

Natsuhi turned red, her fist quivering. She had also come into the Ushiromiya register due to complicated circumstances. Those who knew that understood more or less why she was so angry for the sake of Kinzo's dead wife.

"...Well, thanks to that reckless action of hers, we all have an even chance now, right? Father has even given it his silent approval. Will the person who succeeds the Ushiromiya family be his mistress Beatrice, or one of us, the relatives he doesn't love? Maybe he wants to make us struggle over that to see who's worthy."

As Eva giggled roguishly, Krauss shrugged his shoulders and looked away.

"...However, since she's the one who brought this rule to light in the first place, maybe that means it gives her a significant advantage."
"Th-That's right. In the first place, if Beatrice meant that letter literally, then she's Father's alchemist. In other words, she's the manager of his gold. It wouldn't be strange at all if she knew where it was hidden, would it?!"
"Isn't that harsh? It's like she's giving us a riddle she knows the answer to! She'll probably show up rudely, say 'Hey, here's the answer, I'll take the Headship now', and snatch everything away from us!"
"...That's right. The person who brings up a riddle always knows the answer. There's a good chance that this is all a trap to steal everything from us."
"...If you think about it like that, don't you start to doubt whether she really had any gold in the first place? Why would she tell us about it? All she has to do is keep quiet and embezzle it."
"It really is...strange."

That certainly was the case. If the epitaph showed the way to the hidden gold, why would she challenge them to try and solve it? If they actually did solve it, wouldn't the gold all be stolen from her...? Could it be that this person was trying to stir the siblings up so they'd solve the epitaph, and then planned to steal it away at the last second...? It was an extremely logical possibility.

BGM: Suspicion

"Why are you so certain?"
"...Wait, Aneki. Kyrie, please keep talking. Why do you think that?"
"After all, do they really think we'll let go of the Ushiromiya Family Headship... just because someone tells us the answer to the riddle in the witch's epitaph? That we'll be so impressed by their answer... that we'll just give up?"
"...Well, that's true. No way they're so naive that they assumed we'd just give up after being told the answer to a riddle, that we'd just say 'Here you go' and hand it over."
"Of course. The Headship of the Ushiromiya family is not something that can be handed over so easily!"
"That's it exactly. No matter how Beatrice might one-sidedly propose a game like this, even if she were to spectacularly show us the answer, there's no way we'd obediently hand over the Headship. In other words, unless she has a compelling force in the form of challenging us to a game with equal conditions for us all, this won't truly count as a game."
"You're right. Unless the losers have no choice but to give up on the Headship because of a compelling force, this won't really count as a game."
"And what might this compelling force be? Would they bind us in chains and threaten us into handing over the Headship?"

"I-I see, I get it too! In other words, it's a trade?!"
"Huh? Wh-What do you mean...? A trade? Trade what?!"
"The Ushiromiya Family Headship for the hidden gold. Beatrice surely plans to tell us the location of the 10 tons of gold... and use that as a bribe to gain the Ushiromiya Family Headship."
"R-Ridiculous!! They want to trade the Headship of the glorious Ushiromiya family for... m-money?! That's blasphemy!! Blasphemy against the Ushiromiya family!!"
"...Please listen without getting mad. About how much wealth does this glorious Ushiromiya family have right now? Are we really that affluent?"
"Th-The definition of affluence is not dependent on property. It is about heart! Our financial situation has nothing to-"

Krauss interrupted Natsuhi as she started to go on and on emotionally. In this situation, the more she went on like that, the worse it would actually sound.

"...Me aside, I hear your current situations are... quite unfavorable."
"Oh, really? I've heard that your financial situation's really bad too. Offering up more and more as collateral for new money to gamble with. Repeatedly dabbling in new gambles, unable to accept your losses. If we count what's going on behind the scenes, you're in even bigger financial straits than the rest of us."
"Just how much money have you lost, Nii-san? You have no talent!"
"Wh-Who are you saying has no talent?!! And what do you mean, financial straits?!!"

Natsuhi became indignant once more, but Krauss raised his hand again and interrupted her.

"...It seems you are making a small mistake. Business is not something that can be judged based on current progress alone. For someone with a long-term outlook on business such as myself, it may sometimes appear at a glance that I have suffered significant short-term losses."
"Aniki, we've been collecting evidence. Your position right now isn't one to be proud of."

"...As the only person who knows the location of the 10 tons of gold, Beatrice is planning on using it to force us to sell the Headship. About how much is 10 tons of gold worth? At a rough estimate, let's say 2 billion yen? No, 20 billion yen. With that much piled up, we'd be ecstatic to accept her as the Successor."

The scene returned to silence. In fact, the rain and wind felt even noisier now. It was probably the sound of the windstorm racing through the insides of their minds...
"...Th-This isn't funny. To think we'd give up the Headship to some woman of doubtful origin... just because she had a little money stored up..."
"Don't be stupid...! The Headship wasn't even yours in the first place, right...?! We've got nothin' to lose and money to gain. We'll have to calculate our profit and loss, but it's somethin' worth listenin' to...!"

They knew that Krauss had eaten up much of the Ushiromiya family's assets. So, it was dregs that remained of that inheritance, versus 'the cost of being accepted as the Head' that Beatrice would pay. It was a shame, but honestly, the former was less enticing than the latter.

"...Well, it probably wouldn't end up as four equal portions. Since Aniki would be giving up his position of Successor, his portion would have to be larger. Makes me feel kinda jealous, you know?"
"..."
"Dear...! The amount of money isn't the problem, right?! Your cowardly younger siblings are trying to sell the glory of the Ushiromiya family for money, don't you see?! Why aren't you displaying your dignity as the oldest son?!"
"...Natsuhi, stay quiet for a while."
"Dear?!?!"
"...This is a dizzying proposal. ...We were each planning on getting 250 million yen out of Aniki. If the witch treats us with ten percent of those 10 tons ummm-"
"That's 2 billion."
"...Yeah. That'd mean she's treating us with ten times our original goal. That alone would be more than enough for us. It's not like I've got any attachment to the Ushiromiya name. I'd be happy to sell it off..."
"Even if 10 tons is a slightly optimistic figure... yes, it'd still be a fascinating prospect for us. We were trying to form an alliance among the siblings to kick this outsider called Beatrice out."
"...But, if this is her plan, it'll tear apart the unity between us. Yeah, by this point we can state it clearly... The goal of Beatrice's letter was to disturb our alliance."

BGM: Scar Sound

A moat had been dug all around Krauss. In that case, the negotiations would be one-on-one between her and Krauss. He tried to look strong, but Krauss's financial and political situation was extremely weak. He might bluff in front of his siblings, but on the inside, he was considering entering negotiations, depending on the sum of money involved. In order to bury his losses, Krauss had taken advantage of the fact that Kinzo had shut himself up in his room... and had embezzled Kinzo's personal assets.

Therefore, when Kinzo died and the inheritance was distributed, Krauss's situation would probably be investigated. But if he gave up his seat as the Head to Beatrice, she would also receive rights to the assets, and as a result, the distribution of the inheritance to the siblings would not occur. In other words, Krauss' embezzlement might not have to be made known to the other siblings...

Of course, the siblings were frightened of Kinzo, but it was doubtful whether they still actually respected him as a father. By this time, they each had their own families, their own wealth, and their own lives. If they were paid enough money in exchange for Rokkenjima, the wreckage of Kinzo's dreams, there was a significant likelihood that they'd relinquish the Ushiromiya family name...

Not as the winner of 'Beatrice's game', but as the winner of 'Kinzo's game'. Kinzo once ordered that the epitaph be put on display. And until today, no one had solved it. So, Beatrice 'solved' it. In other words, this is less of a game and more like Beatrice's declaration of victory...

However, Kyrie still thought there might be a catch. If this was a declaration of victory, Beatrice would only have had to display the gold openly and state her intent to buy the inheritance. And yet, she had gone to all of this trouble, telling the siblings to try and solve the epitaph. Why did she set up this 'new game', where she agreed to hand over the all of the gold and the inheritance to the epitaph solver?

Kyrie tried spinning the chessboard around several times. She searched for the sort of ideal strategy Beatrice might be after, something that could lead to this kind of thinking. In the end, she reached a single conclusion.

"...What are you talking about?"
"The witch sent us a letter of challenge, forcing us to try and solve the epitaph. She might be taking us lightly, thinking we could never solve it. However, at the very least, there ought to be an extremely small chance that we do solve it."
"After all, we have here four of Father's children by blood, right? The questioner called together four blood relatives who, if they tried frantically to work together and avoid having those assets stolen from them, might come across the answer of the riddle by chance."

The reason the witch had a superior position in negotiations compared to the siblings... was that only she knew the location of the hidden gold. But if that hiding place was exposed to someone other than her, the witch's advantage would crumble.

"In short, Beatrice gains nothing but risk by writing this witch's letter of challenge. Of course, it might have had the effect of splitting apart the siblings' alliance, but if that was her only goal, why would she take this risk, however slight it might be...? That seems reckless to me."
"...But if we keep in mind a certain type of emotion, that risk becomes comprehensible."

BGM: The Candles Dance

"Yes, that's right. When people have an overwhelming advantage, they tend to get arrogant. And when they do, they want to show off that advantage to the losers, so they sometimes take on small risks. A moderate amount of risk adds a little spice to the joy of victory. It'd be boring to win without any risk."
"...I understand. I like that kind of thing too... Yeah, I understand it well."
"I thought of a few plausible explanations for the true motive behind Beatrice's letter, but I think this really might be the truth. The emotion hidden behind that letter was... arrogance."
"...Arrogance."
"She's trying to throw her weight around, looking down on us, as if there's no way we could figure out such a difficult epitaph. It might even be possible, if surprising, that the epitaph wasn't written by Father, but by her."
"...Sounds great. Solve the riddle of the epitaph, she says?"

...I'll solve it... I'll accept the witch's challenge. As if those other idiot siblings could solve it. I'll solve it by myself, and then I'll prove that I'm the one who's fit to succeed the Ushiromiya family...

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

oath2order posted:

Great as this is, I too am beginning to see the problem with Hideyoshi as culprit, even as accomplice. I sort of cottoned to that idea after the first episode, after they controlled the scene so well for the first six, but I get the feeling that he's too- not pure, as his primary motivation is still money, but nonviolent certainly. Someone who seems too cautious as somebody who would kill, especially since he might be in favor, as this update shows, of selling the headship for 20 billion yen.

But Eva, now... she might not have killed the first time, but she's not in it for money, but for the headship. I thought she might have been angling to secure a future for George, but not so much it looks like: it's about her, her pride, her vindication of her struggles against her family. She might absolutely throw away all of the money for a chance to rub it in the faces of her father, siblings, and precious in-law that a woman can take charge of a family, thank you very much, even through a riddle. It's still a broken and horrible reason for continuing a house, particularly one as screwed up as this one, but let's face it: it's no better than any of the other reasons we've heard, now is it?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

"That's right. That really would be just like a fairy tale. You like those, don't you, Rosa?"

BiiiiIIIIIIiiiiIIIIIIiiiiitch!!

Seriously, she's either the second or the third most terrible person on this island. And given the competition that is a truly impressive feat.

Also, finally caught up.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Aumanor posted:

Seriously, she's either the second or the third most terrible person on this island. And given the competition that is a truly impressive feat.

Seriously. Though I suppose we don't know enough about Krauss, Kyrie or Rudolf to rule out them being even more malevolent people.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Aumanor posted:

BiiiiIIIIIIiiiiIIIIIIiiiiitch!!

Even if that's so, perhaps we can not use that word?

But yes, that was an impressive :iceburn: that Eva delivered. The Ushiromiya family still holds the tradition dear of being absolute assholes to each others alive, even though they're grown-up.

CottonWolf posted:

Seriously. Though I suppose we don't know enough about Krauss, Kyrie or Rudolf to rule out them being even more malevolent people.

Well, we do know that Krauss was probably 20 years older than the single-digits Rosa he was physically punching/abusing. I don't know whether physical abuse is worse than the psychological abuse Eva did, but I still like to think Krauss is the second worst one on the island by virtue of being a goddamn adult at the time and having no excuse. First worst character is Kinzo for approving of this.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
They all seem to have been old enough to know that what they were doing was wrong when they abused Rosa. Rudolf included. Unfortunately, this type of behavior seems to have been normalized in the Ushiromiya family, so even though it was wrong, the siblings certainly felt like treating Rosa badly was their right as her elders. They're basically all badly behaved people who were abused by Kinzo and (just getting the hints from how they refer to her) their mother. The servants (with the exception of Gohda, who wasn't around for it) seem to have been subjected to some seriously dehumanizing poo poo, too. Plus Kinzo has had the current main branch of the family isolated on this dumpy island for the past 30 years. That's a long time to beat this nasty poo poo into his staff, his immediate family, and at least one grandkid.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Plus Kinzo has had the current main branch of the family isolated on this dumpy island for the past 30 years. That's a long time to beat this nasty poo poo into his staff, his immediate family, and at least one grandkid.

I did appreciate when Hideyoshi brought up that being trapped on Rokkenjima for 30 years sure would have sucked for hypothetical Beatrice as mistress. Because seriously, at that point she wouldn't be Kinzo's mistress, she'd be his prisoner. And no matter how much he thought he loved her, well, we've seen how he treats everyone else in his life, and what he thinks of women, so he'd treat his mistress like crap even while he talked about how much he loved her.

Also, wow Krauss really is just the worst person with money. The others have money issues for various reasons, but Krauss has just refused to acknowledge that he has money issues. "I made a great decision but it was just too far ahead of the curve". He's not willing to admit he was wrong, so he goes all in on sunk costs and throws good money after bad. I wonder how long it would take him to run out of the hypothetical 20 billion yen, because I bet he would.

Oh, and once again Kyrie is being the smart one. She may not be reaching the right conclusions, but that's because of information she doesn't have.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Qrr posted:

Also, wow Krauss really is just the worst person with money. The others have money issues for various reasons, but Krauss has just refused to acknowledge that he has money issues. "I made a great decision but it was just too far ahead of the curve". He's not willing to admit he was wrong, so he goes all in on sunk costs and throws good money after bad. I wonder how long it would take him to run out of the hypothetical 20 billion yen, because I bet he would.

Well from the start of episode 2 it appears that Krauss does know he is not good at this. But just pretends he has everything under control.

His siblings and wife acknowledge he has good foresight and head for business inherited from his father. But he admitted that he is unable to believe in his foresight, along with him investing earlier then he should have. As a result he loses money on his investments then he gets scared and sells it off before it starts making money that would have come if he waited a little longer. His siblings also see that he has this problem.

From the first episode he had a solid plan and good foresight that would have made him quite a bit of money until Japan's depression hit and ruined him.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

there should really be a YOU INCOMPETENT version of :milk:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
The second Kyrie survives past the first twilight, this is gonna get real interesting.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Hey, let's bump this thread over to a new page!

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

Hey, let's bump this thread over to a new page!

Sure, I'll help. New update incoming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
This oughta do it. New update incoming.

• Locked thread