Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

John Murdoch posted:

I want a dystopian city builder an awful lot. Especially if you could choose between clanky cyberpunk shithole or stark gleaming white "nothing to see here, citizen" style city ala Mirror's Edge or X-Com 2. Basically Tropico in the future.

I want this, but it does the latter-day Anno style dual maps. You have your gleaming top layer of rich people city, and then you can click a big Down Arrow and sink to the horrible multi-layered Blade Runner Slum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Great. Launch the game post-DLC-download and now the entire map is undifferentiated hot pink. Really don't feel like playing mod whack-a-mole to figure out which one it is :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

deadly_pudding posted:

I want this, but it does the latter-day Anno style dual maps. You have your gleaming top layer of rich people city, and then you can click a big Down Arrow and sink to the horrible multi-layered Blade Runner Slum.

I also want Cities: Midgar.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So do you all have some advice for planning out your road systems past the initial stages? Like how to eventually manage traffic increasing due to population density or how to set up meaningful metro and bus routes? Wouldn't mind some highway advice either.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trast posted:

So do you all have some advice for planning out your road systems past the initial stages? Like how to eventually manage traffic increasing due to population density or how to set up meaningful metro and bus routes? Wouldn't mind some highway advice either.

HOT TRAFFIC TIPS
-Don't build highways, stick to 2-lanes in fact. They're ok for looks around the outside of your city and getting cargo in and out of places, but just like in real life they're an generally an ugly disaster when brought into an urban setting and shackles your city to the car.
-Avoid industry and commercial as much as you can
-Bike lanes everywhere
-A fairly dense tram grid, using its own right-of-way as much as possible
-A nice elevated metro system connecting residential and office areas which can then use the tram for the last few blocks

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

The best way to manage traffic is to give people multiple ways to get multiple places, so rather than having one big highway connecting all your districts, have several main roads going to and from different areas in each district. Beyond that, try not to segregate RCI districts, but mingle them all together, so you don't have everyone from a strictly residential district trying to use the same roads to get to the commercial district.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I just have vanilla Cities and haven't advanced too far. Are trams and bike lanes from DLC or am I just missing them?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bikes are from the After Dark DLC, trams are from the Snowfall DLC

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Also make sure all of your lanes are being used on wide roads, and that wide roads don't funnel into smaller roads where people get into traffic jams. If you find everyone is only using, for example, the 2 lanes on the right hand side of your road, but not the left, you could add a 2-lane one-way road to the left that leads to somewhere to use those lanes and alleviate pressure elsewhere in the city. Lastly, having too many crossroads close to each other also slows down traffic because the main road will have lots of red lights (unless you use 2-lane roads crossing each other, these simply get rights of way panels and don't slow down nearly as much).

There's a good mod (Traffic Manager: President Edition) that lets you toy around with traffic lights and rights of way and stuff. Most of the features are kind of unnecessary unless you're really trying to optimize your city, but I found the ability to replace traffic lights with rights of way and vice versa to be invaluable. A large roundabout in vanilla will get bogged down because the cars on the roundabout will stop to let cars into the roundabout, grinding everything to a halt, for example. With the mod you can manage rights of way to match reality and make everything flow smoother. Same with having a large boulevard with multiple smaller streets leading into it: instead of traffic lights every 5 meters you can simply tell cars from side streets to cede to those on the boulevard.

EDIT: highway advise: if you have bottlenecks at freeway exits, remember that you can use a multiple-lane one-way road instead of a 1-lane freeway in exactly the same way, thus multiplying the capacity of your ramp. The only downside to this is that it requires more money and space so particularly tight knots of freeway ramps will be difficult to upgrade to larger roads, but if you're making a highway exit from scratch, don't be afraid to use 2-lane one-way roads instead, or even bigger ones if necessary.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 2, 2016

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

deadly_pudding posted:

I think I've played that...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterlife_(video_game)

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I'm several months behind on this, but holy hell the map "Moraine - 81 Tiles" by our very own turn off the TV is gorgeous. I've been following your maps since Passes and I ended up completely building up the entire Passes 25 tiles map. Then I restarted and did it again.

This map gives me a lot of that same feel, except it's apparent that you're a lot better at making maps now than back then, and the difficulty is ramped up severely while still allowing plenty of places for small towns. I dunno if I will fill up 81 tiles but I'm sure going to try.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I'm getting back into this after a long time and I decided to just wipe the mods I had installed because some were crashing. Now I remember that there was a mod that showed an info panel with a summary of the power/water/garbage etc output. Anyone remember which one it was?

e: nvm found it it's City Vitals Watch

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ad by Khad posted:

I'm several months behind on this, but holy hell the map "Moraine - 81 Tiles" by our very own turn off the TV is gorgeous. I've been following your maps since Passes and I ended up completely building up the entire Passes 25 tiles map. Then I restarted and did it again.

This map gives me a lot of that same feel, except it's apparent that you're a lot better at making maps now than back then, and the difficulty is ramped up severely while still allowing plenty of places for small towns. I dunno if I will fill up 81 tiles but I'm sure going to try.

The next time I reinstall the game I'm probably going to turn that map into a national park. Network Extensions adds pedestrian/service vehicle gravel paths, so it should be possible to make hiking trails and scenic overlooks that cims actually use with parks. It'd be fun to make a map with just a few small towns geared mostly towards tourism.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

turn off the TV posted:

The next time I reinstall the game I'm probably going to turn that map into a national park. Network Extensions adds pedestrian/service vehicle gravel paths, so it should be possible to make hiking trails and scenic overlooks that cims actually use with parks. It'd be fun to make a map with just a few small towns geared mostly towards tourism.

Every time I try to do the separate small towns thing I end up having a lot of issues with service vehicles racing off to distant parts of the map instead of staying in their home community. This causes a lot of congestion on the roads and leads to poor response times when community A has some issue but its service vehicles are all the way across the map in community C. Not a gamebreaking issue but pretty dumb behavior.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Every time I try to do the separate small towns thing I end up having a lot of issues with service vehicles racing off to distant parts of the map instead of staying in their home community. This causes a lot of congestion on the roads and leads to poor response times when community A has some issue but its service vehicles are all the way across the map in community C. Not a gamebreaking issue but pretty dumb behavior.

Same. This is what kills my scatteted cities, the constant stream of emergency vehicles on the highways.

And the small town itself suffers because it's only police vehicle is in downtown megacity 20 miles away.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

turn off the TV posted:

I attempted yesterday to make a sort of Central Park-type area in the middle of my city by running the main roads underground and filling the area up with parks, trees and and some winding pedestrian paths from the Network Extensions pack.

I have no idea if it's a bug with the mod or if the Natural Disasters DLC has affected it, but regular traffic is using the paths as well as the peds, so the whole effect is sort of ruined.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bold Robot posted:

As always, theres a mod to fix this, where you can set service vehicles to only service their own district. Of course, it does mean you need full service coverage in each district, but it means you can do the small town thing effectively.

What I haven't found a fix for is that if I ever try to create a service district out of town, say a large landfill with multiple garbage dumps and recycling facilities hidden on the other side of a forest or something, eventually all the buildings of that type just stop spawning vehicles entirely, and sit clicking over between 0 and 1 vehicle in use despite demand for the services growing and growing until I'm overrun by garbage everywhere

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
So I guess no one wants to try for that copy of After Dark then.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

John Murdoch posted:

I want a dystopian city builder an awful lot. Especially if you could choose between clanky cyberpunk shithole or stark gleaming white "nothing to see here, citizen" style city ala Mirror's Edge or X-Com 2. Basically Tropico in the future.

this game was already made and wasn't that great

Sim City: Societies

quote:

Featuring an all-new, revolutionary feature set, SimCity Societies allows you to create your own kinds of cities and shape their cultures and environments. Make your cities green or polluted, contemporary or futuristic, rural or urban. Create an artistic society or a police state, an industrial city or a spiritual community—or any society you want! The most versatile city-building game. Combine and connect elements of your city like never before with the ultimate building block tool kit. This innovative, modular approach to city-building makes SimCity Societies accessible to players of all levels, while still providing tremendous new possibilities to veteran players of the SimCity™ series. Shape your city through its values and priorities. More than just a city-building simulator, SimCity Societies puts you in the new role of social engineer. Mix and match six "social energies"—productivity, prosperity, creativity, spirituality, authority, and knowledge—to determine the core attributes that will be reflected in the infrastructure of your city as well as in its people. After you plant these seeds you'll witness the evolution of your city as everything from its physical appearance to the sounds heard on its streets adapt to reflect these values. Build unique homes, workplaces, leisure-time venues, and parks. Choose from more than 500 unique objects which can be combined and connected in almost limitless combinations. Take inspiration from a variety of architectural styles, ranging from the realistic to the fanciful, rural to urban, industrial to futuristic. And with only a fraction of the available buildings and associated object types unlocked at the game's beginning the possible combinations will only grow as you delve deeper into the game and advance your society.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Well then I want a good one of those. :colbert:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Suspect Bucket posted:

If no one lifts a finger you can send it to me. :mrgw:

My Steam ID is Negrostrike, just in case.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

John Murdoch posted:

Well then I want a good one of those. :colbert:

Anno 2070.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

That's not quite the same thing.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I liked SC:S, especially after the update that gave you challenge mode. And it is still the only game that let me make my dream cyberpunk city.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

I liked SC:S, especially after the update that gave you challenge mode. And it is still the only game that let me make my dream cyberpunk city.

i had really mixed feelings about it and it was the first warning siren that maxis had lost it imo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maxis - not even the tattered remains of the time - weren't involved with Simcity Societies. The brand was licenced to a dev house that had previously made Children of the Nile and Caesar IV.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 4, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Suddenly the International Style's commercial and dense residential assets aren't loading any more in my game. What gives? Do I have too many buildings loaded? It's strange how specifically ALL commercial and ALL dense residential buildings, but only of the international theme, no longer load in my game.

EDIT: OK cool, the opposite thing happens on some maps: a bunch of European buildings are missing instead but the international one is full.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 4, 2016

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Maxis - not even the tattered remains of the time - weren't involved with Simcity Societies. The brand was licenced to a dev house that had previously made Children of the Nile and Caesar IV.

poo poo i guess 23 yo me was a dumbfuck i always thought that one was maxis

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Negrostrike posted:

If no one lifts a finger you can send it to me. :mrgw:

My Steam ID is Negrostrike, just in case.

I demand finger lifts! SWOLE rear end FINGERS

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i bought this ages ago and was playing today and what is the trick behind really advancing? I have a load of money because i had it on max speed while i tried to figure out getting my transport to improve but i'm only earning like $6k and have around 8000 pop

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Slightly unrelated, but Transport Fever is out. Anyone here have any thoughts on it? I've only been watching streams and LPs. Seems buggy/unfinished, but still looks enjoyable. Just perhaps not quite worth the price yet.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Jose posted:

i bought this ages ago and was playing today and what is the trick behind really advancing? I have a load of money because i had it on max speed while i tried to figure out getting my transport to improve but i'm only earning like $6k and have around 8000 pop

Keep meeting the demands of your Residential/Commercial/Industrial needs and keep growing. As long as you have the bare essentials, you'll have a decent chunk of money that'll let you just go hog wild.

Every city I put work into i learned something new, so don't be surprised if your first city is poo poo and turns into a city full of dead people because you forgot to put power lines into your waste pipes, and that putting hospitals everywhere didn't fix anything and put you in the poorhouse after everyone died.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Slightly unrelated, but Transport Fever is out. Anyone here have any thoughts on it? I've only been watching streams and LPs. Seems buggy/unfinished, but still looks enjoyable. Just perhaps not quite worth the price yet.

it is missing a lot of deep train management stuff you see in games like openttd which is a complete dealbreaker for me

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Mad Wack posted:

it is missing a lot of deep train management stuff you see in games like openttd which is a complete dealbreaker for me

The super simplified train system is actually a huge plus for me. The only reason I didn't buy it yet is because the performance seems to be spotty, and there are several things that seem wonky or just plain bugged from watching. If they would squash the bugs and improved performance, I'd buy it immediately, even though it is definitely bare bones in comparison to TTD.

Vulpine Complex
Apr 13, 2007

smr posted:

Great. Launch the game post-DLC-download and now the entire map is undifferentiated hot pink. Really don't feel like playing mod whack-a-mole to figure out which one it is :(

I had this happen to me too, and in case it hits anyone else disabling the Dynamic Resolution mod helped pull my city back out of the 80s.

On that note, are there any other AA solutions for this game now that the mod is broken and hasn't been updated in a year and a half?

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I picked up the game on sale a few months ago, and just got kinda hooked on destroying national parks. My first city was a map based on Yosemite Nat'l Park, which I named Yosemite Hellscape. Ended up damming most of the drainages that fed into the valley, but the way the game models hydrology is a little funky so it resulted in these cyclical floods that just kept destroying half the town, of course leading to massive die offs.

I like the way you can use every available space against steep topography, so there were a couple areas I liked.

Eventually I drowned the city in a blaze of glory by deleting all the dams at once.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Creature posted:

I have no idea if it's a bug with the mod or if the Natural Disasters DLC has affected it, but regular traffic is using the paths as well as the peds, so the whole effect is sort of ruined.

From what I understand the pedestrian paths require Traffic++ to function properly.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ToastyPotato posted:

Here's a thread about it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772052

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Still working on Moraine, I started in the easiest corner and am pretty much still there. 81 tiles is a hell of a lot of space. My first 2 hours were just drawing the highway since this map doesn't start you with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Well I kept playing and expanded into an area with loads of oil which made loads of money and I had a bit of a boom but now my city is stagnating again at 45k population with no demand for anything. I stuck crematoriums everywhere since they were in demand and built a few unique buildings but other than that I'm not sure what I can do