Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

NobleSixFour posted:

Edit because I don't want to double-post: I just got this month's issue of Combat Aircraft and there was a two-page feature centered on a couple photos that leaked late this summer of...drum roll please...a couple of F-117s taxiing to the runway at Holloman. That's right. The Nighthawk might be back.

At this point can't the Raptor do pretty much everything the Nighthawk can do, but more and better? Like, the F-117 can basically only carry two bombs deep into hostile airspace unnoticed, but not only can the Raptor do that, but it can also do it faster, even more quietly, and then afterwards out-turn and out-fight literally everything else in the sky while also using its radar as a mini-AWACS to direct friendly AA missiles?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
That's what I thought, but as per the article, apparently the Raptor can't use LGBs (which I thought the JDAM was, but apparently I was incorrect; it's GPS-guided), which means that if the target is not stationary, the mission is hosed. The F-35 can do this, but who knows when that'll be online. Apparently the storage situation for the Nighthawks is such that the lot of them could be brought back online fairly quickly should the need for such a mission arise.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
just shut up and get to AC5 as that game is one hell of a trip with some missions being hell because I suck poo poo at timing puzzles!

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah man, 5 is honestly my least favorite of the Golden Trilogy for some of the decisions that got made, that one high among them...

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I also hated those desert missions too.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
The AtG one is alright IMO, especially for the bonkers idea of towing a loving battleship up a river for artillery support. The AtA one though...if you're not careful and run too low on missiles before the mission update, good loving luck lining up a shot on those AWACS/tankers with just guns while also dodging the 20 fighters that show up...

The absolute worst mission though, hands down, is Ghosts of Razgriz. I cannot loving stand how no matter how low you are the Typhoons always manage to put eight missiles right up your rear end. That mission is the only reason why I can never finish an Ace run...of course before a bunch of weird script breaking glitches started showing up for me, making the game borderline unplayable...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Personally I really like AC5 partly because of how different it does do things from the previous ones, even the missions where it doesn't quite work out (though it isn't just the changes to the mission structure I liked). I had played AC since it was Air Combat and by 4 some of the mission formulas were getting a bit stale and I welcomed the changes they attempted. But we'll get there when we get there.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 2, 2016

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
four horsemen is objectively the worst mission and anyone that refuses is clearly a robot as you have to be a loving robot to complete that loving shitfest of a mission

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm slowly playing through 5 now, and I had way more trouble with Fortress than Four Horsemen. Had to trade up to a Raptor just to have enough missiles to not have to guns kill every single ground target in the last third of the mission, and I hate using the Raptor/Terminator. And this is on normal.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Here is the new Ace Combat 7 Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9kLbrO2vBI

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Stop talking about that plane game anime game and start talking about this plane game anime game instead, even though there's probably nothing substantially new in that trailer.

EDIT: If only I hadn't spent twenty minutes composing this masterful post I would have gotten it first.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

frozentreasure posted:

Stop talking about that plane game anime game and start talking about this plane game anime game instead, even though there's probably nothing substantially new in that trailer.

EDIT: If only I hadn't spent twenty minutes composing this masterful post I would have gotten it first.

EXCEPT LASERS :hellyeah:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Oooh, baby. Next year's looking up already!

Get to work, Crow, you need to be ready to LP 7 immediately after it comes out! Immediately, I say! :whip:

Edit: Did I see Stonehenge in that trailer?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I look forward to the lore post about the drug-induced planning session by Belkan scientists that led to the creation of the Assault Bird thing. Assuming that is its name and not actually revealed to be named after some weird King Arthur reference.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
So, in summary:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Edit: Did I see Stonehenge in that trailer?

Yep. That was a nice bit of continuity, seeing Stonehenge there... still all hosed up some 20 years later.

I'm also amused that Erusea seemingly went, "well, undemocratic military dictatorship didn't work out so well for us, let's try monarchy next!" And then declares open war on Osea to boot, because they didn't learn poo poo from Shattered Skies.

Game looks beautiful though, holy poo poo :vince:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
What's happening in Usea...

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

And then declares open war on Osea to boot, because they didn't learn poo poo from Shattered Skies.

"Those Belkan guys had the right idea!"

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

god drat it am I seriously going to have to be fiscally irresponsible and buy a loving playstation

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I dunno dude. I mean the game looks loving amazing and the music sounds great and the idea of having plot elements from two, possibly three of the most beloved games in the series showing up again for the first time in a decade is pretty neat and you can have lasers and EMP blasts with your anime planes now because why not it's cool...

But I mean, you don't have to get it. I mean, I am stupidly hyped now that I've gotten a decent taste but it's fine. I'm certain that I'm perfectly unbiased in saying that I think AC7 is looking like it's going to be the game the franchise's fans have been wanting since 6. Really. Really.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

That F-18 had a loving railgun.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

That F-18 had a loving railgun.

Who the gently caress cares about that, did no one else notice the F-104?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

LeadSled posted:

Who the gently caress cares about that, did no one else notice the F-104?

hey I care about Super Hornets with railguns, but I was about to post that. There's definitely a shiny F-104 in there at 0:46 and what might be the cockpit view at 0:49.

looks like the gimmick for 7 is going to be weather effects; clouds and rain. I'm fine with this.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 4, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I hope they bring back 6's semi-permanent missile trails and smoke. Dogfights in that game looked absolutely insane after a few passes.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Welp.

Looks like I'm finally going to own an Ace Combat game.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Totally unrelated to anything, but I just learned that not only is there a Belka Deli a 36 minute drive from my house, but a Belka International Inc on Osean Avenue--rather, Ocean Avenue--quite close to same.

I will report on the menu of the former as soon as possible, especially if it has a Scinfaxi Sub on it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

ninjahedgehog posted:

I hope they bring back 6's semi-permanent missile trails and smoke. Dogfights in that game looked absolutely insane after a few passes.

This was the thing that struck me first about 6, actually. I knew going into it that it had a focus on mass combat and hundred plane fights and stuff, but the fact that they actually created some reasonable smoke and vapor physics surprised me and having a badass afterimage of your fight stick around for a few minutes really helped sell the scale. It was a pretty uniquely AC6 thing, too, I can't think of any other flight games that bothered with that particular bit of flair.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Psycho Landlord posted:

This was the thing that struck me first about 6, actually. I knew going into it that it had a focus on mass combat and hundred plane fights and stuff, but the fact that they actually created some reasonable smoke and vapor physics surprised me and having a badass afterimage of your fight stick around for a few minutes really helped sell the scale. It was a pretty uniquely AC6 thing, too, I can't think of any other flight games that bothered with that particular bit of flair.

Oh man, not to mention being able to see other planes' burner plumes from tens of miles away. That was what really sold the scale of it for me.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Maybe we should just get rid of Erusea.
A final solution.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The real concern is that this game is held back by the need to gimmickize it with VR

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Lunethex posted:

The real concern is that this game is held back by the need to gimmickize it with VR

As long as the VR isn't mandatory, it could work. VR has a lot of weaknesses, but sitting still and looking around in the cockpit of a vehicle is one of the things it actually does fairly well (in general).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tempest_56 posted:

As long as the VR isn't mandatory, it could work. VR has a lot of weaknesses, but sitting still and looking around in the cockpit of a vehicle is one of the things it actually does fairly well (in general).

It won't be mandatory. Ace Combat is still a AAA flagship title for Sony. Air Combat and Ace Combats 04, 5, and 6 all achieved "Greatest Hits / Platinum" status on the PS2 and Xbox 360, and Assault Horizon Legacy got an upgraded re-release on the same handheld it originally bowed on. It would be monumentally, loving Konami-level business-adverse stupid for Namco to put a $500 entry barrier on one of its next potential best sellers that otherwise would have sold like hotcakes at $80.

Now, Namco pulls a lot of dumb rear end in a top hat poo poo, I'm not under any illusions there, but making Ace Combat 7 VR mandatory is something that I hope they have the proper business acumen to sidestep. Unless of course, they actually want to kill Ace Combat in a spectacular, message-sending manner ala what Konami did with Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill. Then all bets are off.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 4, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Ace Combat 7 offers photo-realistic visuals, intense dog-fighting action, a multitude of authentic and futuristic aircraft with an immersive story-line and support for PlayStation VR, official press release, VR's 100% optional, I don't get why many people online think it's VR only.

Kono likens the Ace Combat 7 experience to an ice cream sundae - "Everything like online mode and campaign mode is in the ice cream. PlayStation VR is going to be a topping." http://www.gamesradar.com/playstation-vr-real-way-experience-ace-combat-7-says-producer/

e: and people had to ask BandaiNamco peeps on the spot, the whole game won't be available for play in VR, just special mode, welp. At least it's a new proper Ace Combat, and having a VR mode is better than not having one.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 4, 2016

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The real concern is that Playstation VR is easily the worst of the three VR experiences.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Maybe this game will finally solve the mystery of why every loving military on Strangereal broadcasts unencrypted on the same frequency

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If the prospect of playing Ace Combat in VR isn't something you IMMEDIATELY thought of and looked forward to immensely from the second the concept was introduced of a modern VR thing, I don't know what to tell you other than you're pretty much in the wrong.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

frozentreasure posted:

The real concern is that Playstation VR is easily the worst of the three VR experiences.

No way. Being somebody who owns all three, I can tell you that without a shadow of a doubt it's the best headset. The tracking is mediocre, but so long as you're not using the Move controllers it's great, and that applies to Battlezone and Eve Valkyrie. VR Ace Combat will be the best thing on any VR device available and I'm sad that it's just its own special mode instead of the full campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
I just watched the 2nd trailer again to try to get a glimpse of the painted-over Osean tail, and there was like a 1/4 second shot of an F-104.

CENTURY FIGHTERS IN ACE COMBAT FINALLY GODDAMN