Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Apparently there have been some bad translations of this line going around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

devtesla posted:

what the gently caress, this is absolutely not that kind of show.

Wasn't one of the translation things people were talking about that Yuuri's narration always refers to Viktor in the past tense? Was that actually a thing?

Like, it'd be great if we get a happily-ever-after ending here, but that conversation at the airport where they vowed to be together forever did kind of feel a little like a couple skipping through a field to the strains of 'So Happy Together' just before the start of the third act.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The staff would be lynched if they did that, because jesus christ they can't do that!

They're already setting things up for a Viktor-less Yuri. We've got Yakov to be the coach ('Hey, he lectures me and comforts me just like Viktor') and we're finding out more and more about Yurio, who seems to be developing affection for Yuri of his own. Yuri is just too enchanted by Viktor to see it.

I'm not saying that it'll end straight, just that it's going to be a Yuri/Yurio pairing with Dreamgirl Viktor off in the aether somewhere.

It feels a LOT like a certain show from last year, at least to me.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
They're both going to retire and start a poodle farm together.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Yuri is not going to end up with yurio because yurio is a child

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is wrong with you people.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So far we've seen "VIctor is dying," "Victor is using Yuri," and "Victor is going leave Yuri."
Now we get "Victor is going to go away for ??? reason." Are people blind to the tone of the show?

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

Some people can't accept the reality of a happy, uplifting show whose unofficial tag line is "love wins".

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Gibbering posted:

They're both going to retire and start a poodle farm together.

You forgot that they are going to teach kids skating too.

Seriously, the show very much treats Yurio as a kid, why would you ever think they were gearing up to pair him with the now 24 year old Yuuri?

Also Yuuri wasn't comforted by Yakov, he turned into a terrifying hug beast without hugs and kisses from his bf.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Gibbering posted:

Some people can't accept the reality of a happy, uplifting show whose unofficial tag line is "love wins".

To be fair, "love wins" being ripped out from underneath is kind of the theme of 2016, so it makes sense.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Maera Sior posted:

So far we've seen "VIctor is dying," "Victor is using Yuri," and "Victor is going leave Yuri."
Now we get "Victor is going to go away for ??? reason." Are people blind to the tone of the show?

I still think Viktor is leaving Yuri because he needs to find his own motivation for ice skating. Also, Viktor has to go back to Russia eventually and decide if he wants to retire or not.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Alder posted:

I still think Viktor is leaving Yuri because he needs to find his own motivation for ice skating. Also, Viktor has to go back to Russia eventually and decide if he wants to retire or not.

This is kinda the beautiful part of the show, especially with how it has this theme of viewing people through a social media lens as others have mentioned. We only see Viktor and Yuri at their most public during competition, while the many months between when they spend time together alone between competitions off camera are literally skipped over. Additionally, we spent a lot of time with other characters discussing what Viktor gets out of the coach deal, what he'll do afterwards, what they want Viktor to do etc, but only glimpses of Viktor himself wants.

So what I'm saying is just because we're not shown Viktor's motivation and wants are doesn't mean he himself doesn't know what they are, and what he wants and motivates him is Yuri.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Gibbering posted:

Something I like about this show is how other emotions than love can be powerful, positive driving forces. Grief (Michele), spite (Yurio), lust (Christophe), excitement (JJ really feeds off the crowd's reactions), and even Emil's emotionless cyberpunk program. But love is the most powerful weapon of all!

Also I can't believe no ones guessed that Yuri and Yurio are going to go into doubles skating with Victor as coach. It's right in the OP!

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

With the OP I'm guessing there will be an exhibition done by the 3 of them on the last episode. And then Yuuri and Victor ride into the sunset and open a figure skating school.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Alder posted:

???????
"I wish you'd never retire" = "I sure as poo poo ain't skating competitively again"

Blue Nation posted:

With the OP I'm guessing there will be an exhibition done by the 3 of them on the last episode. And then Yuuri and Victor ride into the sunset and open a figure skating school.

Pls happen

Speaking of which though, I wish we could see their exhibition skates!!

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

???????
"I wish you'd never retire" = "I sure as poo poo ain't skating competitively again"

Pls happen

Speaking of which though, I wish we could see their exhibition skates!!

No no, the answer is that they have to move into pairs or ice dancing. (Can we get them doing twizzles? Please?)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Gnossiennes posted:

???????

That's it? Viktor just ended his entire skating career :monocle:

There's still 4 episodes to go anyways.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Some interviews about the sound direction in this show

https://atmafunomena.wordpress.com/2016/11/24/yuri-on-ice-staff-interview-sound-of-silence-newtype-part-i/

https://atmafunomena.wordpress.com/2016/12/01/yuri-on-ice-staff-interview-sound-of-silence-newtype-part-ii/

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
I got the impression Viktor will embrace the Yuri-enduced retirement. The longer he keeps competeing, the risk there is someday that someone younger will steal his glory. Not that I think this was his motivation at all for doing it, but you saw him have that moment of "huh, yeah, where DO I go now?" in the very first episode even before he sees Yuri's video. Yuri's video gave him that direction, and with it went any chance he ever had of being defeated.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I definitely thought that there'd be a bad twist at first but at this point, no, this is heading to a fairly happy ending on someone's terms.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

You guys, they're not fooling around. I present the 1st dvd and blu-ray cover:

Also, some other posts:
Johnny Weir is about to start watching I know I will be checking for his reactions.
A good post on Yuri's anxiety at the end of episode 9

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

Maera Sior posted:

Johnny Weir is about to start watching I know I will be checking for his reactions.

We live in the good timeline.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Feel good anime of the year. 10/10

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I definitely thought that there'd be a bad twist at first but at this point, no, this is heading to a fairly happy ending on someone's terms.

At this point if anything my main hope is to see Russian Yuri win the grand prix as he slowly learns to perform form himself instead of as Victor or Yuri's rival like we've seen start. Yuri gets Victor and stops defining himself by a failure only he held against him to begin with, that was the story. Him winning gold would just be gravy. Same with Victor finding his new purpose in coaching Yuri and being mad gay with him forever. Winning would be nice but the whole point of this whole show is its secondary to actual growth as a person.

Maera Sior posted:

No no, the answer is that they have to move into pairs or ice dancing. (Can we get them doing twizzles? Please?)

Ok never mind, THIS is how the story needs to end.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Would they even allow two guys in pairs skating, Will Ferrell movies aside?

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Maera Sior posted:

You guys, they're not fooling around. I present the 1st dvd and blu-ray cover:

TOTALLY STRAIGHT YOU GUYS

I love the airport scene so much. Getting met at the airport by someone you love is one of the best feelings in the world. And the dog survived!

The hugging scene was also fantastic and how everyone responded to Yuri hugging them. I want to see more Emil because of the fact he was totally down for the hug whereas everyone else was confused.

Next episode looks to be Spain shenanigans before the Grand Prix. Can't wait for all the character interactions. What was up with the guy on the bike and Yurio? Is he going to join a Spanish biker gang? :allears:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Makkachin nearly died just so we could have that airport scene.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 4, 2016

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Why is the focus in the show the Grand Prix Final when apparently that is actually only the 2nd most prestigious tournament in figure skating?

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

I thought nothing could top Plushenko's sex bomb until I saw this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPJKYyZ0v4E

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Blue Nation posted:

I thought nothing could top Plushenko's sex bomb

I never knew I needed this program in my life so bad. :stare:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Another link dump on figure skating irl:

So you want to learn how to identify jumps
So you want don't want to learn how to identify them, but still want to come across like you know something
Reading the new scoring system

Other links:
Interview with Kubo, she says that Yuri and Victor are definitely speaking english
More timeline stuff
How tie-breaking works for the GPF, or why Yuri got to advance

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Blue Nation posted:

Amazing :3:

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Blue Nation posted:

At first I thought that this was nothing compared to Plushenko's baby routine, much less the sex bomb show. I was so, so wrong.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thinking about ice boys

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

devtesla posted:

Thinking about ice boys

Me too.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Blue Nation posted:

Excluding Yuuri and Viktor's big gay wedding, the thing I want to see the most is an exhibition gala :allears:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/massefext/status/805496901789503488

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I hope they never retire.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

They were born to make history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A sequel? So this isn't an ongoing series..?

• Locked thread