Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

jodai posted:

No it can't and it's super sad to see page after page of people who, if they even actually fought someone, probably started crying and flailing at them until the other person felt bad for them and left.

It can if you weigh twice as much as the little poo poo who's messing with you and you just piledrive him into concrete:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82sxRBNSteA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

jodai posted:

No it can't and it's super sad to see page after page of people who, if they even actually fought someone, probably started crying and flailing at them until the other person felt bad for them and left.

My wife is tiny and still thinks she'd be tough enough to defend herself physically. Keep in mind that she has no self defense training. Attitude doesn't make you tougher. Size is pretty much the biggest factor.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

"...this older fellow sporting a look that we in Chicago like to refer to as 'downstate', because they're all ignorant assholes who immediately prejudge people based on their appearance, which is something we innocent blessed Chicagoans would never do. Anyway, this redneck cousinfucker said..."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why wasn't the guy literally shaking? Whenever I go to a store to shout at people and they talk back to me I start literally shaking in a perfect Mount Lebanese accent.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
There's nothing like female friendships. It's a beautiful thing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hogmartin posted:

"...this older fellow sporting a look that we in Chicago like to refer to as 'downstate', because they're all ignorant assholes who immediately prejudge people based on their appearance, which is something we innocent blessed Chicagoans would never do. Anyway, this redneck cousinfucker said..."

so where in southern illinois are you from

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

jodai posted:

This is pretty much my plan if I ever get in a fight.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you keep running your mouth, I'll loving light some candles swear on me mum!

Oi m8! You think youse hard, brudda? See dis here spider tat? I did that myself. Sober. With acid for ink!

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

A Real Horse posted:

This is pretty much my plan if I ever get in a fight.

“First, you gotta shriek like a woman. Then keep sobbing until he turns away in disgust. That’s when it’s time to kick some back. And then when he’s lying on the ground, kick him in the rib, step on his neck, then run like hell.”

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

My favourite part is when she apologises on behalf of the human race :v:

Stranger Danger Ranger has a new favorite as of 04:19 on Dec 1, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Young Adult Fantasy Fan

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Wasn't a version of this going around before? I swear it seems familiar, right down to the 'survive the next four years' part.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

hogmartin posted:

I live in Chicago and have no loving clue what this means. What is a 'downstate' look?

\/\/\/ Oh

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Dec 1, 2016

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Alaois posted:

so where in southern illinois are you from

Sure as gently caress not Marion because the post isn't dripping in tobacco spit and doesn't reek of meth

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
Hey, my family's from downstate. What's wrong with it besides being a little, uh... rural?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Xen Tricks posted:

What's wrong with it besides being a little, uh... rural?

Your family's from there :smugdog:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I live in Chicago and have no loving clue what this means. What is a 'downstate' look?

\/\/\/ Oh

Never lived in Illinois, but you can pick up the meaning from context and it's not uncommon in other states that have a big metropolis and everywhere else is rural. It's probably the same for Seattle/Tacoma vs. everyone east of the Cascades, or NYC vs. everyone upstate. People who live in the city can tell just by looking at them that they're all backwoods racist rednecks who immediately judge people based on what they look like.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Joey Freshwater posted:

\/\/\/ Oh

I lived in chicago for over 25 years and never heard the term "downstate."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Thin Privilege posted:

Maybe it's one of those words you only use if you live in a Chicago suburb, to show how cool and close to being an urban city person you are

*eyes the poster that originally said it*

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

I've lived here for two and I've heard or read it a bunch of times, usually in the context of newspaper articles that refer to towns south of Chicagoland (or sometimes to avoid repeating "Springfield").

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've lived here for two and I've heard or read it a bunch of times, usually in the context of newspaper articles that refer to towns south of Chicagoland (or sometimes to avoid repeating "Springfield").

That's a normal use of the word, I meant that I never heard it as a derogatory term like the poster of the STDH said.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

That's a normal use of the word, I meant that I never heard it as a derogatory term like the poster of the STDH said.

that's because they're a projecting crazy person

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.
THAT TIME I ALMOST STABBED A COUPLE REDNECKS WHO SAW MY HEADWRAP AND ASSUMED I WAS MUSLIM

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:psypop:

WHY DID I READ THE COMMENTS! OH GOD THE HORROR!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

"and I especially hated the canned food they reheated and" *joins army*

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.
"I had already grabbed Bessie (my knife)"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I rarely feel secondhand embarrassment as strong as what I felt when I read this. I think it's because I have a personal rule to always believe people of color when they talk about racist incidents they've experienced, and so I want to be on her side on principle, but I completely can't. :negative:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

That time I completely fabricated a story out of thin air to hyperbolize a time I experienced bigotry because West Virginia rednecks amirite? While completely missing or willfully ignoring the obvious hypocrisy

life is killing me has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Dec 4, 2016

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

life is killing me posted:

That time I completely fabricated a story out of thin air to hyperbolize a time I experienced bigotry because West Virginia rednecks amirite? While completely missing or willfully ignoring the obvious hypocrisy

I definitely wouldn't make up a story about a thing happening to me in West Virginia because then people would think I had been to West Virginia.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

quote:

“If you, or your cousin-husband ever reach to grab my head wrap again, I’ll castrate him up to his neck and filet the skin off your thighs.

None of the people who write these things have ever been in a physical confrontation. Fights are not exchanges of movie lines or long monologues. They're usually "gently caress you" followed by "no, gently caress YOU" repeated ad nauseum until a haymaker is finally thrown.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Jesus Christ is he saying that every female friend he had in high school got beaten by their boyfriend? War on women indeed.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Elevator

quote:

This troper was able to pull off a rather lame pun during a long elevator ride where one of the ladies in the back, (troper note I was the only guy in the elevator) said something about wearing a sweater that was suade. After her friend asked to why she was wearing such a sweater I nonchalantly quipped, "Maybe it made a rather per-suade-ing argument". The whole elevator rolled in laughter.

Lecture

quote:

This troper is a Teen Genius who was known to lecture her parents about how they were doing it wrong pretty much up until around puberty. (Okay, she still does it, but not as incessantly or arrogantly.) She also frequently insults the intelligence, and especially the vocabulary, of her more ordinary sister. On a related note, she has a nasty habit of viciously highlighting people's flaws in the middle of an argument and then expecting them to change things based on the fact that they now have that information, regardless of the tone in which it was presented. Due to her combination of this trope and impatience, she frequently finds herself doing (or at least wanting to do) tasks for people either to make sure it's done right or to make sure it's done in a timely fashion. She's a Jerk With A Heart Of Gold, though, not a genuine Jerkass. Honest.

Mensa

quote:

This troper has been a member of Mensa since he was 15, and is generally quiet and lazy. But he got so incensed by a know-it-all teacher's pet at one point that in the middle of our history class I challenged her to a duel of minds, and subsequently humiliated her in front of the entire class for her ignorance. She broke into tears and ran out the door. It was a good day, the class applauded.

Sex

quote:

This troper is a complete dick... and also accomplishes such feats as FIGURING OUT SEX using merely logic and the process of elimination (figuratively speakng, of course).

Mind

quote:

A lesser mind like yours can't possibly fathom how to write proper trope examples, so I've helpfully listed some at Insufferable Genius for you. You're welcome.
When anyone around this troper wants to play a game based on trivia knowledge, this troper is always excluded due to her love of Archive Binging on useless facts giving her what they think is an unfair advantage.

We

quote:

Another good permutation of this which has made this troper come off as unhinged while alone:
Generic Person: You're a complete nutcase!
Me: [quiet disconcerting voice] Well, we aim to please.
Generic Person: What do you mean, we?
Me: [unhinged] MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Classic

quote:

A classic (only since it wasn't true):
"I hosed your mom last night!"
This troper's friend: "Really? She's been dead six years, what exactly were you doing?"
Stunned silence followed by roaring laughter

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

First time I've wanted to punch all of these people in the face.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought they deleted troper tales.

quote:

This troper is a complete dick... and also accomplishes such feats as FIGURING OUT SEX using merely logic and the process of elimination (figuratively speakng, of course).

I don't get it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't get it.

And the troper doesn't get any.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
The eternal motto of all of these dammed topics is "There Is Always More, and It Is Always Worse". I don't know how you manage to one up the insufferability every time but jesus

quote:

SHE GOT A HOLE I GOT A STICK HOLE CAN'T GO IN STICK THEREFORE I'M A FUCKIN GENIUS

Xen Tricks has a new favorite as of 12:18 on Dec 4, 2016

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Literal dogs, cats, and the stupidest creatures on God's Earth, horses, figure out sex without having to be told or shown. Good work, This Troper, I am sure you are glad you told the internet about this.

E: also "I gently caress your mom :xd:" "mom dead :(" "WHOA" is old as dirt and should not be bragged about either

CROWS EVERYWHERE has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fuckin wannabe Kenneth from 30 Rock