Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galler
Jan 28, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

Honestly, when it comes to Android phones, the Nexus or Pixel or whatever they want to call them is the way to go.

This is the only way I will Android from now on. I really like my 5X and stock Android is really nice. Every OEM/carrier alteration just makes things worse and significantly delays or eliminates updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Lmao

Maybe as opt-in, but most stations/stores don't have it and they're not standard on the cards.

You know how credit cards are going to chip-and-PIN? Well, we've got the chip part, but not the PIN. So you have to stick the card in, wait like 10 seconds, then either nothing happens or you have to sign, just like a normal swipe card. So they've added awkwardness to the use of it without any actual improvement in security.
The chip is still a security improvement, because if the terminal is chip-ready, and your account is identified as having a chip card, it will not allow a swipe transaction.

The scammers can get their hands on a printer to make a card with a magnetic strip, but creating a chip card is still out of reach (for most, afaik).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryrobots posted:

The chip is still a security improvement, because if the terminal is chip-ready, and your account is identified as having a chip card, it will not allow a swipe transaction.

Depending on the hardware there is an override for this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Depending on the hardware there is an override for this.

If i swipe my card at a chip terminal, they deactivate the card.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

If i swipe my card at a chip terminal, they deactivate the card.

As a retailer we encounter cards where the chip has already been damaged. We are still able to run transactions in most cases.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Going back a couple of pages but Americans say friction point rather than bite point? Never knew.

Contactless payment owns

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I run a really old Samsung Galaxy Note 3 that I jailbroke and put Cynanogen on.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah I guess that part depends on who issued the card. Capital one will deactivate the account if the card is used at a chip-ready terminal.

So it's maybe a security improvement, haha.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Yeah I guess that part depends on who issued the card. Capital one will deactivate the account if the card is used at a chip-ready terminal.

So it's maybe a security improvement, haha.

Hmmmm....my amex and chase cards don't get deactivated, but the terminal makes an angry noise at me. Which is real "convenient", since it's like 50/50 around here of places who have chip reading terminals on whether the chip reader is activated or not.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Motronic posted:

Hmmmm....my amex and chase cards don't get deactivated, but the terminal makes an angry noise at me. Which is real "convenient", since it's like 50/50 around here of places who have chip reading terminals on whether the chip reader is activated or not.

I just always ask the guy behind the counter if the chip reader "works" if it's someplace I'm not too familiar with :shobon:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Bajaha posted:

I know the US is decades behind in terms of bank card technology, but you guys at least have tap-to-pay tech right?

And credit cards are the bomb for the rewards, you just have to use it like a debit card and never spend more than you have.
Many of the cheap stations are debit only. Or at least the gas I get is.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013

cakesmith handyman posted:

Just watched dirt every day Alaskan army truck adventure, quite a good episode but there's a dodge power wagon on there you got to see, lots of replacement panels in copper, I don't know why but it works.

This. Don't know why but that polished copper just works. I love that truck.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
So its 40 degrees outside and ODOT is out brining the highway. My black car is now white.

Forecast says lows above freezing and nothing but rain or cloudy/overcast in the foreseeable future :wtc:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I've had iPhones since I first got a smart phone - 3GS, 4, 5 and now a 6s. Never had an issue with em and they just work. Sure, I can't gently caress around with it without jail breaking it, but I don't need too. And it doesn't randomly update something and ruin something else because of a hardware incompatibility.

The 4 suffered the hardest in my job-broke two back glass panels and the screen once and the 6s has a crack in the screen down in the black space around the home button from being shot in the chest at work by a rock from a brush cutter but that's it.

They do what I want them to do- they make and receive calls, they play music they support web browsing, I can use Facebook and the SA app, my fire weather and normal weather apps work and I get a day and a half out of the battery if I'm not out in the boondocks im marginal signal areas. Only thing I do to protect them is out a case that has a solid screen cover on it (not an otter or lifebox- got a cradle for it in the car so I need to take it out of a case for the antenna coupler to work)

Best of all, it backs itself up over wifi when I plug it in at night and it updates itself overnight for minor updates and asks me whether to do it over night with a major update!

I've got an old HTC one in my car to run a Bluetooth OBD2 reader (torque isn't supported by iOS and I need to use torque to use a custom ime string to talk to my car which uses M-OBD) and it's nowhere near as nice as an iPhone to use.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

freelop posted:

Going back a couple of pages but Americans say friction point rather than bite point? Never knew.

Contactless payment owns

I had no idea what they were talking about until someone else said bite point and I learned to drive stick in the US

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Also the best part of iOS is Apple Pay imo, it's a feature I use almost every day and vending machines with Apple Pay are the loving best

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:shrug: I regularly use Google Wallet with my phone.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah but google is sniffing your purchases for that sweet sweet targeting advert data [probably]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The vending machine at work charged me a quarter extra for the privilege of using Apple pay. Of course there's no charge for swiping a credit card or a warning sticker to tell you that you're going to pay a fee for Apple pay.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

angryrobots posted:

The scammers can get their hands on a printer to make a card with a magnetic strip, but creating a chip card is still out of reach (for most, afaik).

My debit card is chip. Half of the terminals here I have to swipe, because the chip reader they have only works with credit cards.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
late for whisky-chat, but here's our clubs selection from our end-of-year get together. We taste what we like then auction off the remainder to help buy more next year.

Highlights for me were an Adelphi Bunnahabhain (unusual because I'm a fiend for more peat) and a Heartwood Convict Resurrection. If you're interested in trying Australian whisky and can find a Heartwood I highly recommend it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Motronic posted:

I mean if it tries to push the transaction through, not just physically swiping.

I found this out the hard way, when capital one changed my card status to having a chip....without actually sending me one. Found out when checking in to a hotel traveling too, that was fun.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
loving CL. Guy asks how much for like 6 parts, I opened my ad and just added the prices I had listed together and gave him that price.

He offers 10% of that because he has to drive a long distance to come get poo poo.

How the loving gently caress is that my loving problem you ignorant gently caress trumpet?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hell yeah new to me air compressor for $65

Unloading:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kasBiYdnzF8

Dude I bought it from had a vintage car shop.

I wish I'd taken a picture of it, but that's a Citroen H-Van in the background in for a transmission rebuild.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Today I helped my friend pull one of the heads on a 2003 Impala

The rocker arms on the middle cylinder were wobbling back and forth, they were barely held onto the head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJXyJ_q-P1Y

(I think we had loosened the one on the right a little bit before I took the video, but it was drat near that wobbly and the bolts were finger-loose)

It's not my car so I'm just helping him work on it and enjoying the opportunity to learn; I hadn't taken the head off an engine before this.

If you want to know why he's not just selling it to a scrapyard, well, the car is in Albuquerque, but it has a Missouri title in the name of his deceased mother. It's also really well taken care of except for the engine which blew when he drove it to Vegas.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Also the best part of iOS is Apple Pay imo, it's a feature I use almost every day and vending machines with Apple Pay are the loving best

Which is identical to Android pay.........Doesn't matter which the terminal might say, it still woks with either.

slothrop posted:

late for whisky-chat, but here's our clubs selection from our end-of-year get together. We taste what we like then auction off the remainder to help buy more next year.

NICE. Wingtip in SF is great for this. Sorry for lovely picture, but I'm, always bombed when I'm there. Really great selection.

Safety Dance posted:

Hell yeah new to me air compressor for $65

Twin cylinder (check) belt drive (check) old enough to be made or real metal (check). gently caress yes.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The less personal information I have to give to Google the better imo

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I just finished all of Project Binky. I'm not sure what to do now.

Start impatiently waiting for episode 15 like the rest of us! :f5:

(I also did a motor trend trial and binged all of the roadkill garages and other assorted shows that they have)

funny Star Wars parody posted:

The less personal information I have to give to Google the better imo

are Apple any better with your personal information than google?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you don't want your purchases tracked, use cash.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tomarse posted:

are Apple any better with your personal information than google?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Apple is also selling your purchase information out for analytics.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mariooncrack posted:

If you don't want your purchases tracked, use cash.
Gotta tear out the metal strip from the notes and make sure you never look at the store's CCTV camera face-on, too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

slothrop posted:

Highlights for me were an Adelphi Bunnahabhain (unusual because I'm a fiend for more peat) and a Heartwood Convict Resurrection. If you're interested in trying Australian whisky and can find a Heartwood I highly recommend it.

This is the best thing I've ever seen. I wish they had something like that around here.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Apple is also selling your purchase information out for analytics.

Yeah, that's my assumption too - but TT has just spent his last few posts saying how apple pay is better than google wallet because of this. Show me some proof TT!. I suspect they both track all my purchases and then use them to try and sell me other poo poo :(

Contactless spending is awesome. Just been out for a night out. Bought every round on contactless. Feels much better than coming home with an empty wallet... (now if i can just ignore my online statement for the next 30 days)

It was my mates Stag night out. Looks like we managed to get him drunk to the exact perfect level - as in, we got him pretty drat pissed but still sent him home not too long after midnight at a point where he isn't going to be ill and will probably only have a thick head when he gets woken up by the baby at 6am. I think I'm starting to like old man nights out.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Apple's whole deal is that they don't sell your personal info to the point where it's actively affecting stuff like Siri because it doesn't have that same giant database of stuff to pull from like Google Now does or whatever. Totally different.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

nm posted:

This is the best thing I've ever seen. I wish they had something like that around here.

I'm pretty fortunate that I get to try a lot of stuff through my job (liquor retail), the job also got me an invite to that club. I'd suggest looking around online to see if there are any whisky clubs near you, they seem to pop up all over the world!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

slothrop posted:

Oh poo poo yeah, some of the Whiskeys coming out of Tasmania are absolutely stunning. The gin disilleries popping up around the place are really really good too- Kangaroo Island Spirits (KIS) do some absolutely STUNNING gins that will quite happily take on and beat some high end English gins.

http://www.kispirits.com.au/

If you can get your hands on it, i HIGHLY recommend the Wild Gin

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Oh poo poo yeah, some of the Whiskeys coming out of Tasmania are absolutely stunning. The gin disilleries popping up around the place are really really good too- Kangaroo Island Spirits (KIS) do some absolutely STUNNING gins that will quite happily take on and beat some high end English gins.

http://www.kispirits.com.au/

If you can get your hands on it, i HIGHLY recommend the Wild Gin

I've been planning on ordering some in for the shop but it's just another supplier to deal with. Gin is crazy right now, mainly as a consequence of all these new distilleries starting up to make whisky but needing something to sell that doesn't need 2-5 years of aging.

We've gone from a range of ~15 gins to ~75, probably half Aussie.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Biodome posted:

Apple's whole deal is that they don't sell your personal info to the point where it's actively affecting stuff like Siri because it doesn't have that same giant database of stuff to pull from like Google Now does or whatever. Totally different.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/what-apple-does-and-doesnt-know-about-you

They don't connect the dots and they DO anonymize it. To a degree. But really, any analytics firm can connect the dots without that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Biodome posted:

I know it sucks for humanity and all, but I actually like Google telling me at 450 every day what my morning commute traffic is, then at 1515 doing the same.

The poo poo is all out there anyway, it might as well make my life more convenient.

On that note, removing doors by yourself loving sucks. Just dropped a loving door on my foot and put a dent in a wall when I kicked out of anger and shot a socket into it.

• Locked thread