Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

You know how people get emotionally invested in the mere fact they drive a truck? Well, they also get emotionally invested in the specific brand of truck they drive, and in some cases become irrationally aggressive and violent to people who drive any different brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

ductonius posted:

You know how people get emotionally invested in the mere fact they drive a truck? Well, they also get emotionally invested in the specific brand of truck they drive, and in some cases become irrationally aggressive and violent to people who drive any different brand.

This is kind of proof that humans as a species will never be able to actually just loving chill because we've always got to have an other to rage against.

The dude who has the most different skin colour to you is the easiest answer, but if you all look the same, talk the same, have the same religion, what's left but visible brand preference?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

ductonius posted:

The magic words are "it's for dogs" and "I'm afraid of dogs" OR "I'm afraid other dogs will attack mine" if you happen to be walking a dog.
I imagine it's just like buying herbicide in Ontario. It's prohibited unless you have something like poison oak or poison ivy growing on your property; then you're allowed to buy it. So you can go to any hardware store, say you have poison oak growing on your property and walk out with a big jug of RoundUp.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A woman who uses a small can of roundup to escape from the imminent threat of canola probably has nothing to be worried about, from a legal standpoint.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I also agree women (and tiny men) shouldn't have more options on how to defend themselves from physical and sexual assault. Because I guess some other people might also use these new options as weapons. Which already happens because criminals dont care if its legal or not.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Helsing posted:

Despite having no actual charisma Kellie Leitch has been doing a really good job getting earned media. She picks issues that will get attention in the press and upset the kinds of people that conservatives love to upset, while intuitively appealing to a significant part of the electorate. The fact we're making fun of her is part of her strategy.

Yup. The first time I heard her speak was on the Sunday Edition. Leitch made it clear, without ever saying so explicity, that if you're a racist jerk you should vote for her. She engages liberals, who are made to look dumb by accusing her of racisism, which she very calmly denies. Extremely polarizing. Extremely effective at media manipulation, because she was so carefully controlled.

I wrote the show when the interview was done. She's using you [the media] I wrote. You've got to be careful how you handle this one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, pepper spray isn't like a gun because it's not deadly. If someone misuses it, they can be caught and prosecuted, and no one's life will be over or significantly altered. Arguably it's less dangerous than a chef's knife. Who gives a gently caress?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah who cares if people are carrying easily concealed short range weapons that require no skill to use and are capable of basically instantly winning a fight and and disabling a room full of people in a second or two. It's not like it gets used all the time in robberies or home invasions

How are you as loving stupid as you are. It blows me away

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Count Roland posted:

Yup. The first time I heard her speak was on the Sunday Edition. Leitch made it clear, without ever saying so explicity, that if you're a racist jerk you should vote for her. She engages liberals, who are made to look dumb by accusing her of racisism, which she very calmly denies. Extremely polarizing. Extremely effective at media manipulation, because she was so carefully controlled.

I wrote the show when the interview was done. She's using you [the media] I wrote. You've got to be careful how you handle this one.

The media are eager partners in this. After Trump won the CBC interviewed Ann Coulter of all people. Because yeah, they could have picked some kind of scholar on historical authoritarianism or an expert on the contemporary US or maybe someone who participated in the election, but none of those would have grabbed quite as much attentions as having a right-wing shock-jock come on the show to mouth empty platitudes.

Now that Trump has made it clear the alt-right isn't one the fringe you can expect the media to very eagerly help them get more attention. The more enraging and provocative someone is the more eyeballs they attract and that seems to be literally all that journalists care about there. News is just another form of entertainment now, there's no meaningful sense of a professional ethos saying that journalists should be responsible or aim to inform rather than titillate.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Except it's already easy to obtain for people who would use it illegally, as was already explained.

I'd much rather be mugged by someone with mace instead of a knife, since the latter could easily be deadly where the former would simply be extremely unpleasant.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
shut up you loving moron

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

Except it's already easy to obtain for people who would use it illegally, as was already explained.

You know this is exactly the same argument people use for less gun control, right?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

vyelkin posted:

You know this is exactly the same argument people use for less gun control, right?

Yes, which is why I didn't focus on it originally, and instead focused on the fact that it's not a deadly weapon like a gun is. Obviously different standards need to be applied to weapons that have a significant chance of causing severe injury, disability or death to minimize their availability entirely. They are not appropriate as weapons of self defense in the same way that pepper spray is.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Kellie Leitch actually announced she wants to give women pepper spray in our cities. Canadian cities. Women. With pepper spray. In our cities. In Canada.

vyelkin posted:

And marijuana deregulation, I guess we better scrap that too.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 3, 2016

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Government logo.

Edit: You could probably troll the hell out of entire communities right now with a clipboard, hard hat, and a couple of "Kinder Morgan" magnetic signs. Don't try this without a party pack of bear spray as well.

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 3, 2016

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Kellie Leitch actually announced she wants to give women pepper spray in our cities. Canadian cities. Women. With pepper spray. In our cities. In Canada.

And marijuana deregulation, I guess we better scrap that too.

Over my dead body we are using taxpayer money to handout pepper spray to anyone :orks:

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

EvilJoven posted:

This is why any security guard worth his salt doesn't carry an asp, that poo poo's illegal. A long rear end mag light, on the other hand...

Same thing with having any sort of blunt instrument in your car for instance. If you have a baseball bat in your car for protection, make sure you have a glove as well.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Lars Blitzer posted:

Same thing with having any sort of blunt instrument in your car for instance. If you have a baseball bat in your car for protection, make sure you have a glove as well.

Instead of a baseball bat I suggest keeping a monster sized novelty dildo in your car for self defense purposes.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

Instead of a baseball bat I suggest keeping a monster sized novelty dildo in your car for self defense purposes.

The US is slowly turning into Saints' Row, but does Canada have to as well?

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

True story: Wild Rose actually does zero policy research, they just take the top 3 trending stories off google news in Edmonton. They have not paid for a issues poll or policy study in 2 years. WR is a tribal movement, you can't take anything they do as a political strategy. They are pretty much #BernieBros for the right of center.

Goons could ask Brian to put a shoe on his head if the proposal had a backup study that demonstrates voters want Brian as a "Shoe-in", in 2018.

#ableg

EDIT: Saints Row was a very good video game. Also, given that Pierre Trudeau was the one who put a Jacuzzi in 24 Sussex, the next logical upgrade is a stripper pole + kickass sound system.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 3, 2016

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Hal_2005 posted:

True story: Wild Rose actually does zero policy research, they just take the top 3 trending stories off google news in Edmonton. They have not paid for a issues poll or policy study in 2 years. WR is a tribal movement, you can't take anything they do as a political strategy. They are pretty much #BernieBros for the right of center.

Goons could ask Brian to put a shoe on his head if the proposal had a backup study that demonstrates voters want Brian as a "Shoe-in", in 2018.
Tell us more

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If that were true they wouldn't be so concerned with protecting parents' rights to be miserable assholes to their LGBT kids, since I'm pretty sure no Edmonton news source really gives much of a gently caress about that.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
loving pepper spray!???? its so drat depressing to live in a country where even our most rightwing conservative politicians are against to right to keep and bear arms. god i hate this country

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

patonthebach posted:

I also agree women (and tiny men) shouldn't have more options on how to defend themselves from physical and sexual assault. Because I guess some other people might also use these new options as weapons. Which already happens because criminals dont care if its legal or not.

Criminals don't magically get access to illegal weapons trafficking channels upon declaring themselves criminals.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
gently caress this country

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lassitude posted:

Criminals don't magically get access to illegal weapons trafficking channels upon declaring themselves criminals.

Except, in the case of pepper spray, the illegal trafficking channel is literally "go to the store and tell a lie."

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

PT6A posted:

Except, in the case of pepper spray, the illegal trafficking channel is literally "go to the store and tell a lie."

Or don't tell a lie, because most places that sell it don't ask. There is literally no control on selling it and no restriction on carrying it so long as you can say "it's for dogs, officer" and that's really only a half-lie because if you are attacked by a dog there's no reason not to mace it.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Kellie just wants innocent white ladies to be able to protect themselves from some of the swarthier people in our society, and there's nothing wrong with that!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mameluke posted:

The US is slowly turning into Saints' Row, but does Canada have to as well?

If we do go Saints Row, can I nominate CI for The Boss?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Furnaceface posted:

If we do go Saints Row, can I nominate CI for The Boss?

I'm pretty sure he's already Johnny Gat IRL.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I'm thinking of making website for a political party with the expressed purpose of splitting the Liberal vote. The parties platform would be something like "exactly the liberal party platform except we actually have the intention of fulfilling our promises." I think I could write a funny FAQ at very least. Hopefully it would strike a similar tone to the holiday hole FAQ.

I'm still brainstorming names. Things I have so far are:

LibReally Party of Canada
Ditto Party of Canada
Split Party of Canada

I am aware that officially recognized party names can't resemble existing party names but I'm not ambitious or egotistical enough to think that would be an issue.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Pffft...thinking Canada was ever "great".

The Haudenosaunee did nothing wrong

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 9, 2022

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

A frustrated Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wants police to “enforce the law” and criminally charge illegal marijuana dispensaries — even though weed legalization is looming.

“People are right now breaking the law,” Trudeau told the Star’s editorial board on Friday.

“We haven’t changed the laws. We haven’t legalized it yet. Yes, we got a clear mandate to do that. We’ve said we will. We’ve said we’re going to do it to protect our kids and to keep the money out of the pockets of criminals.”

“It’s a situation that is frustrating and I can understand people’s frustration on this,” Trudeau said.

“The promise we made around legalizing marijuana was done for two reasons … that I was very, very clear about : one, to better protect our kids from the easy access they have right now to marijuana; and, two, to remove the criminal elements that were profiting from marijuana,” he said.

“We believe that a properly regulated, controlled system will achieve both of those measures. But we haven’t brought in that properly regulated, controlled system because it’s important that we do it right in order to achieve those two specific goals.”

“So, I don’t know how much clearer we can be that we’re not legalizing marijuana to please recreational users,” he said.

“I mean, that will be a byproduct. We recognize that that is something that’s going to happen when it happens, but it’s not happened yet.”

“It’s been highlighted many times that the effect of cannabis on the developing brain is particularly problematic,” the prime minister said.

“I’m not going to venture too much further into the science but I think there is a consensus that, yes, perhaps up until 21 or 25 it’s not as good as past that age. But I have a sense that the worst damage is in the 12-, 13-, 14-year-old range,” he said.

“The federal drinking limit is set at 18 but if provinces want to make it 19 — as a few have — it can be 19.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/12/03/trudeau-urges-police-to-enforce-the-law-on-marijuana.html

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 9, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I hope the police troll the poo poo out of him by smoking weed in front of said dispensaries.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
This is great.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 9, 2022

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So the NS Liberals have taken the bold step of locking students out of the classrooms instead of teachers, who have to go to work without students to teach.

Andrew Younger, our resident black sheep politician, suggests it's to keep teachers locked away in buildings during the times when protests or arguments would be most inconvenient.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Literally 4 days ago:

quote:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's point person on legalizing recreational pot was the prize guest at a Liberal Party fundraiser attended by a marijuana lobbying group at a Toronto law office that advises clients in the cannabis business.

The event last spring, which featured Bill Blair, the parliamentary secretary to the Justice Minister, appears to violate Liberal Party rules on political fundraisers and Mr. Trudeau's ethics guidelines that direct cabinet ministers and parliamentary secretaries to avoid an "appearance of preferential access."

The Liberal Party told The Globe and Mail on Monday night it will refund donations from representatives of the Cannabis Friendly Business Association (CFBA), although it denied any ethical breaches.

loving scumbags.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ego-bot posted:

Kellie just wants innocent white ladies to be able to protect themselves from some of the swarthier people in our society, and there's nothing wrong with that!

While this is undoubtedly the genesis of her idea, I would point out that pepper spray could equally be used by, say, a Muslim woman wearing a hijab, or a Sikh man wearing a turban, if they were to be harassed by racists and made to fear for their physical wellbeing. Or it could be carried by a sex worker to be used in case a customer attempts to rape them, or something like that. Pepper spray is ideal for these cases because it's easy to use, easy to conceal, and there's no permanent consequences associated with its abuse (as there would be for any other kind of weapon) -- although obviously using it frivolously would be a serious crime.

I personally would not choose to carry it, but I can step outside myself and realize there are valid reasons why some people would want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I would carry a print copy of this thread and read it to people in various, nauseating voices