Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

big cummers ONLY posted:

I've just started. Is there a resource for determining what relics are worth keeping, what I can safely feed, and what's worth being fed? Feel a little overwhelmed. Really preferring this to ffbe although this doesn't look as pretty.

Keep 3 stars and up until you get to the point where you have so much synergy for a realm that you don't need to keep the earlier stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I think someone mentioned that they used to have accessories available in the greens shop - is there any word on whether that will ever be coming back? Would be really nice to snag some of the old stuff I wasn't around for.

I'm still hoping they bring back the 5 Dooms event some day - they could just make it a random event that only people who didn't collect them the first time could snag, or something. That's the one thing I'm bummed about missing out on, everything else I can either make do or wait for similar stuff to come around. I know there's the whole higher-difficulty stuff in several months that can help shore that up, but I'm not even sure I'll be able to do them, and I'll still be way behind the people who get those and did 5 Dooms.

Also the III U+ fight was kinda neat, though when I first saw the battle screen I thought I was fighting them all at once. Also finally knocked out the Magus Sisters mote dungeon, mostly thanks to finally unlocking Devotion and having Vincent's meteors go from 6k damage to 9k. Was still close since I have no good damage-dealing mage SBs and I think I was like 10 seconds away from Cindy waking up and reviving everyone, but still.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I think someone mentioned that they used to have accessories available in the greens shop - is there any word on whether that will ever be coming back? Would be really nice to snag some of the old stuff I wasn't around for.

I'm still hoping they bring back the 5 Dooms event some day - they could just make it a random event that only people who didn't collect them the first time could snag, or something. That's the one thing I'm bummed about missing out on, everything else I can either make do or wait for similar stuff to come around. I know there's the whole higher-difficulty stuff in several months that can help shore that up, but I'm not even sure I'll be able to do them, and I'll still be way behind the people who get those and did 5 Dooms.

Also the III U+ fight was kinda neat, though when I first saw the battle screen I thought I was fighting them all at once. Also finally knocked out the Magus Sisters mote dungeon, mostly thanks to finally unlocking Devotion and having Vincent's meteors go from 6k damage to 9k. Was still close since I have no good damage-dealing mage SBs and I think I was like 10 seconds away from Cindy waking up and reviving everyone, but still.

You might be thinking of me, and what I was talking about was a thing going on right now JP side: from a few days back until 12/25 they have around 30 accessories, mostly five star with a few four star as well, in the Greens shop to pick up. It is bananas and I was really glad I had about 200,000 Greens just sitting around to spend on it because I'm only a few shy of picking up all the 5* ones. Dunno if it'll be up Global side since that date scheme makes it seem like a Christmas thing.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

big cummers ONLY posted:

I've just started. Is there a resource for determining what relics are worth keeping, what I can safely feed, and what's worth being fed? Feel a little overwhelmed. Really preferring this to ffbe although this doesn't look as pretty.

If you've just started, keep everything, once you can field everyone with 3* or better gear, start feeding your 1* and 2* stuff into your free 5* weapon. Really, at this stage anything 3* and up is worth keeping.

Use the lesser growth eggs as you get them, try get Tyro and Cloud to level 30.

Do the first and second FFIII event dungeons (20 stamina total) to get Luneth and Arc. Arc is loads better than the white mage for healing, you still have maybe 2 and a half hours to do it, so you should have the stamina.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

LornMarkus posted:

You might be thinking of me, and what I was talking about was a thing going on right now JP side: from a few days back until 12/25 they have around 30 accessories, mostly five star with a few four star as well, in the Greens shop to pick up. It is bananas and I was really glad I had about 200,000 Greens just sitting around to spend on it because I'm only a few shy of picking up all the 5* ones. Dunno if it'll be up Global side since that date scheme makes it seem like a Christmas thing.

The timing is right for them to do it for us midsummerish.

(There was a wave of greens for accessories once before about 6-8 months or so ago (I think?), so annual-ish seems reasonable.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

The timing is right for them to do it for us midsummerish.

(There was a wave of greens for accessories once before about 6-8 months or so ago (I think?), so annual-ish seems reasonable.

Makes sense, some kind of "Summer Fest" thing or some such. Well then I suggest people start saving up your Greens now, it's 8000 per 5* accessory.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Decided to go ahead and attempt the CM for the III event since I was out of EXP dungeon runs, and everyone from the III cast is level 70 or above.

It went really well!

Luneth: Blizzaga Strike, Aerora Strike, Spellblade Master
OK: Powechain Full Charge, Ace Striker (Onion Slice)
Ingus: Power BD/Magic BD, Secrets of the Qu
Arc: Protectga, Curaja, Dr. Mog's Teachings (Renewing Rains)
Desch: Chain Thundaga, Meltdown, Impetuous Youth (Bolt of the Ancients)

RW: Shout

Arc's magic blink saved me from two Tsunamis, and he just cast Protectga and cured as needed. He did go down at the very end to a Flare, but at that point I'd already won. Luneth hit weaknesses when he could, and Spellblade Master triggered quite a bit which was great, as it got me through Salamander quickly. OK just did the PC/FC combo, and broke out Onion Slice when his gauge was full. Ingus just did breaks and regular attacks, but was definitely necessary. Desch just used regular attacks to build up his gauge until he could let loose Bolt of the Ancients on Kraken, then cast Chain Thundagas. Meltdown was a champ against Titan, and I got lucky he never used Quake, just regular attacks and Flare three times, only knocking a character out once (that being Arc, right before OK's Onion Slice took Titan down).

Fun stuff, was expecting it to be a lot tougher than it was, and admittedly it would have been much tougher if I'd had a Quake or two used against me.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't believe status resistances stack either.

Status resist on gear does stack. It's just elemental resistances which don't, for whatever reason.That said, stacking status resistance isn't usually an incredibly efficient way to make status attacks less annoying; gear outside of accessories only has minor status resistance, which doesn't offer much even if you have a weapon, armor, and Record Dive all granting it (that'd be 4 resistance total, which is technically enough to make 303% hit rate attacks miss, but only 22% of the time).

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Inge posted:

If you've just started, keep everything, once you can field everyone with 3* or better gear, start feeding your 1* and 2* stuff into your free 5* weapon. Really, at this stage anything 3* and up is worth keeping.

Use the lesser growth eggs as you get them, try get Tyro and Cloud to level 30.

Do the first and second FFIII event dungeons (20 stamina total) to get Luneth and Arc. Arc is loads better than the white mage for healing, you still have maybe 2 and a half hours to do it, so you should have the stamina.

Nabbed em, thanks! I had been ignoring the events, trying to increase stamina.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

For those asking: The next FF3 event not only has Onion Motes and OK's BSB return, but it puts all three of OK's relics plus his upcoming OSB onto a single banner for convenient whaling.

The bad news? That event just happened in Japan so it's probably coming some time in April or May.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Also his staff, armor and bracer(but not, oddly, the sword) showed up during the second anniversary festival, which is a few months sooner.

Of course, festival banners change, but the armor IIRC debuted there so that'll at least be sure. (It's his OSB.)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

...you people made me think this fight was going to be hard. :colbert:

Luneth - aeroga strike/drain strike, Tyro RM4, swordshower
Ramza - lifesiphon/full break, mako might, shout
Vaan - lifesiphon/mug bloodlust, battleforged, ark blast
Tyro - aeroga strike/shellga, dr mog, SG
Yuna - Curaja/protectga, knight's charge, hymn of the fayth

RW - Luneth BSB. Only used once (Ramza), since the boss went down so fast. Reapplied Shout/SG with the boss 3/4 dead.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Pretty sure nothing in the game is hard if you have native shout + SG and Vaan's BSB.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pretty sure nothing in the game is hard if you have native shout + SG and Vaan's BSB.

Nightmare Necrophobe ain't fun. That might just be because of how much you have to juggle there, though. Or because I don't have native SG.

That said, I'm interested to see how my top-shelf team(s) handle Torment dungeons coming.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NOT CANON :qq:

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Guys guys I want to be dorky about this.

A made up tier five ability I thought of.

Name:
Steel Heart
School/Discipline: Machinist, Sharpshooter
Tier OP
Attack description. "Fire five heat-seeking rockets skyward that fail before reaching fifty feet to come crashing down. hits four random targets. Debuffs inflicted increase for a short period of time on target enemy. If a rocket hits a teamate all buffs are increased in time and restarted to initial casting. Curada effect begins, doesn't take effect on allies that are poisoned the same way however, removes any negative debuffs and give hp dependent on users accuracy. Curada effect also instantly heals up to 1500 hp total, not 2000. Same time duration as Curada and same recovery speed. If team mate is hit with Steel hard but is KO'ed revive with all buffs no debuffs and a final buff. Target revived gains physical/Resistance increase for every strike target receives. Final buff only takes effect if character is KO'ed during the Curada phase.

You could give it to any tier five machinist. Maybe Elena could use it. :newlol:

Munoma fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 4, 2016

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

What's the current max stamina not counting the ones you buy with greens?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jose Valasquez posted:

What's the current max stamina not counting the ones you buy with greens?

172 4/5 with a new DU coming in the next few days.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

KataraniSword posted:

For those asking: The next FF3 event not only has Onion Motes and OK's BSB return, but it puts all three of OK's relics plus his upcoming OSB onto a single banner for convenient whaling.

The bad news? That event just happened in Japan so it's probably coming some time in April or May.

It's a really weird banner. It has the best (Onion BSB) and arguably worst (Desch's 50% HP cost HotE) FF3 SBs on it.

If you're pulling for synergy, it's a little weird too. Mostly armor (Desch and Ignus's Gauntlets, Onion's BSB and OSB, Arc's Robe), a few Mage weapons (Onion's Staff, Desch BSB and SSB Swords), and 1 physical weapon (Onion's Sword). It's a shame Onion didn't take the Vayne route and get a weapon that's functional both physically and magically.

Oddly enough, Onion's OSB is probably the second worst SB on the Banner, being non-elemental. It's still a 6* armor though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

pichupal posted:

Oddly enough, Onion's OSB is probably the second worst SB on the Banner, being non-elemental. It's still a 6* armor though.

Ironically, Onion's OSB functions like a Vayne SB, from the sound of it.

Except it's non-elemental so Vessel of Fate will almost always be better for your DPS unless you're chugging Lifesiphons by the can and running both.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

pichupal posted:

It's a really weird banner. It has the best (Onion BSB) and arguably worst (Desch's 50% HP cost HotE) FF3 SBs on it.

If you're pulling for synergy, it's a little weird too. Mostly armor (Desch and Ignus's Gauntlets, Onion's BSB and OSB, Arc's Robe), a few Mage weapons (Onion's Staff, Desch BSB and SSB Swords), and 1 physical weapon (Onion's Sword). It's a shame Onion didn't take the Vayne route and get a weapon that's functional both physically and magically.

I have Onion Knights staff and it does okay physical damage considering. I think my Mote path might have influenced that though.

I swing for 3000 dmg on level 90 dungeons.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

Nabbed em, thanks! I had been ignoring the events, trying to increase stamina.

What's your stamina and team now? Event dungeons are pretty good for beginners, in the first five stages you usually get two pieces of decent 3* gear, orbs, gil, 5-6 characters and a hero soul, which you can exchange for anyone you want.

You also get 5 mythril, once you get to 50 make a pull on tyro select 2

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Man, I got my last Onion Knight Mote at the buzzer- I started the last Enigma stage the moment before rollover and got the drop there.
I had to take some time out to hit up Mote Dungeons (to afford Support 5*) and the III Ultimates (to use Support 5* on CM) before I ran out of time, too, but now my l'il Onion Kid's ready to be all grown up.

Shame I didn't have enough time to go back and master that Dark Dragon raid, I could have used the Orbs. (Managed a raid where we eked out a victory with a hail Mary Fire Beam at the end, but that was a 1* finish)

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
5 5*!

Already had a Bismarck. Man I'd trade one for a Quistis item in a heartbreak. The 8* Bismarck is pretty cool.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Please not Party Dress please not Party Dress

... Oh! I'm cool with this. Needed more magic SBs. Wish I'd gotten something for Selphie but what are you gonna do?

Will this help with Mote Ifrit? I've gotten him down to about 20% before getting wrecked by his AoE

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nihilarian posted:

Please not Party Dress please not Party Dress

... Oh! I'm cool with this. Needed more magic SBs. Wish I'd gotten something for Selphie but what are you gonna do?

Will this help with Mote Ifrit? I've gotten him down to about 20% before getting wrecked by his AoE

Not sure about Motefrit, but it'll help you a hell of a lot with CMing tonight's U+.

EDIT: poo poo. I got Exeter on my 100 gem. It's a great SB and a good statstick but it's on Irvine and I don't like Irvine even if he's just a super generic supportbot. FFRK World Problems.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 4, 2016

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Decision time again. I've managed to get together some 5* orbs, and I'm looking at some BLM spells to equip a half-decent mage team with if I ever get enough relics together. How do people feel about:

-Flare
-Meteor
-Chain -ga Spells (I can do Thunder, Fire, or Ice for sure, but only one of them)

I basically only have enough non-elemental orbs to do one of the above. I'm leaning toward Meteor because I have dick-all for AoE mage relics right now, and I feel like pulling on the VIII banners wouldn't be as good as waiting for the fest or FFXIV.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Jedi425 posted:

Decision time again. I've managed to get together some 5* orbs, and I'm looking at some BLM spells to equip a half-decent mage team with if I ever get enough relics together. How do people feel about :

-Flare
-Meteor
-Chain -ga Spells (I can do Thunder, Fire, or Ice for sure, but only one of them)

I basically only have enough non-elemental orbs to do one of the above. I'm leaning toward Meteor because I have dick-all for AoE mage relics right now, and I feel like pulling on the VIII banners wouldn't be as good as waiting for the fest or FFXIV.
Chain -gas, no question. Flare is BAD and meteor is extremely situational. If you want more AoE, hone Ruinga or summons.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Well after almost 30 dollar draws, I finally got a 5-star - Strange Vision. How good is this thing? I'm already pretty happy because I've got Beatrix and Ramza's BSBs and the + Holy damage Excalibur (V) and Physician's Staff, so I'm going to be absolutely making GBS threads holy damage now.

I also have Selphie's Dreamstage, so basically she's never leaving my party at this point, I guess. My only worry is that there really aren't a whole lot of times in genuinely tough fights where I'd want to be using BSB damage commands on my healer, and I doubt the BSB heal command is good enough to use it instead of a party-wide medica with magic blink.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Well after almost 30 dollar draws, I finally got a 5-star - Strange Vision. How good is this thing? I'm already pretty happy because I've got Beatrix and Ramza's BSBs and the + Holy damage Excalibur (V) and Physician's Staff, so I'm going to be absolutely making GBS threads holy damage now.

I also have Selphie's Dreamstage, so basically she's never leaving my party at this point, I guess. My only worry is that there really aren't a whole lot of times in genuinely tough fights where I'd want to be using BSB damage commands on my healer, and I doubt the BSB heal command is good enough to use it instead of a party-wide medica with magic blink.

General use not so much, but it being an attack coded as White Magic means it bypasses some/most counter conditions. Having it makes the Guardian for the Curada Record way easier, as I understand it.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Bonus battles this time weren't very threatening, but they were quite long. Seifer CM hit kinda hard, but fire resist accessories reduce his threat by a ton. I imagine a Quistis BSB RW strat would destroy Seifer. VIII is my weakest realm too (Edea's faithga was my only SB).

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 4, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

It's a faithga that stacks with Sheepsong. Magic's softcap is up in the 1000 range. And it's also a Burst that does damage.

So, it depends on what your faithgas are... but probably pretty good. Does mean you're using Selphie for something that isn't Medicas though, so it changes her role some.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Inge posted:

What's your stamina and team now? Event dungeons are pretty good for beginners, in the first five stages you usually get two pieces of decent 3* gear, orbs, gil, 5-6 characters and a hero soul, which you can exchange for anyone you want.

You also get 5 mythril, once you get to 50 make a pull on tyro select 2

34 stamina now. Tyro arc blackmage cloud kain. Pulled on my first 50 like the op said and got two 4* hero staves :(

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
Oh lame, really? I thought keepers 2 was guaranteed 5*

You didn't accidentally do keepers 1, did you? At least you got to choose something so not all is lost :v:

E: Yeah keepers volume 2 is guaranteed 5*, keepers volume 1 is not.

Could be worth another crack

Inge fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 4, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Keeper's Choice 2 does have guaranteed 5

The way the select banners work is you do an 11 pull (on choice 2, one of these is guaranteed a 5*), and then you can select a free relic. On the bright side, The choices on choice 1 are better than choice 2 for most situations. If you don't have an AoE heal (we call these medicas), id recommend picking one of them up. I believe the choices are for Arc (easiest White Mage to pick up), Yuna, Vanille and Ramza (stat agnostic AoE heal on a non-white mage is extremely useful, and it should scale better with power creep in the future. It conflicts a bit with Shout, but these days we have alternatives to Shout, so I wouldn't worry about that unless you already have it).

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

big cummers ONLY posted:

34 stamina now. Tyro arc blackmage cloud kain. Pulled on my first 50 like the op said and got two 4* hero staves :(

You must have pulled on keepers choice 1, instead of keepers 2. This is less than ideal, but if you go back to that banner and scroll down, you'll see a little box that tells you to pick a relic. Hit that and you can salvage something, as you get a 5* of your choice off the list.

I'm not sure what you should pick though, someone else can probably tell you.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Oh you're right the physician's staves are 5*, my mistake.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
Ok, so that's not so bad then! Get Vanille when you get a hero soul and you've got yourself a party wide heal + restore ability point soul break. (Replace Arc with her).

Those are really important SBs

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

Oh you're right the physician's staves are 5*, my mistake.
Solid. That's one of those AoE heals I mentioned, and higher potency than those selectable ones on KC1. You still get a choice of relics but you might want to hold onto that decision for now. None of the choices on KC2 are super necessary anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The U+ CM was fairly straightforward even without a medica, smashed his mug in with Zell's BSB and chain biora spam. Seifer with blaze armlet and magic lure negated any bad spells.

The U++ however, uhh take some aoe and magic blink if you have it. Getting mitigation up for the second wave is important, one of them murdered Eiko with a 5k flare seconds after they spawned :gibs:

Still mastered but my guys were hanging on by a thread

• Locked thread