Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/nydwracu/status/804153536774803456

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I would have thought nyd would like rolling around in The Mountain Goats' raw sad anger songs, they're certainly what I listen to when I want to feel moody and edgy.

Also they mention Florida locations sometimes and I get to go "hey I've been there finally someone wrote a song about someplace I've been!" :3:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ate all the Oreos posted:

I would have thought nyd would like rolling around in The Mountain Goats' raw sad anger songs, they're certainly what I listen to when I want to feel moody and edgy.

Also they mention Florida locations sometimes and I get to go "hey I've been there finally someone wrote a song about someplace I've been!" :3:

Nydwracu's self-image is entirely built on lifelong grudges over the pettiest poo poo imaginable

Well that and trying to start a media hoax to frame someone for murder

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Someone's reply to that Nyd tweet made me suddenly vaguely remember this funny thing someone made a year ago and I spent like 10 solid minutes trying to figure out the correct combination of google keywords to find it so even though it has nothing to do with anything I'm gonna foist it on this thread to make it feel like it was worth it

http://johndarnielle.tumblr.com/post/126993307991/quoms-the-best-ever-bitcoin-cannabis-drone

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You're a retard if you think Islam is no thread to Europe. Antinatalism does not mean that you don't care about culture anymore. It means making sure the highest culture on earth, Europa, continues to exist. Even Japan's great authors only exist because they read western literature. It's that good. I'm biased towards Europe, just like the greatest aphorist of the 20th century: Davila. The latter is also one of the greatest minds to ever have lived. All hail Europa.

This is what happens when too many people say "gently caress LOB"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The only song that mentions where I grew up is by Tom Waits.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

eschaton posted:

I'm so sorry.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

eschaton posted:

This is not a bad thing.

The Flaming Lips' "She Don't Use Jelly" is about people from my hometown, but it doesn't identify it or them by name.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Someone's reply to that Nyd tweet made me suddenly vaguely remember this funny thing someone made a year ago and I spent like 10 solid minutes trying to figure out the correct combination of google keywords to find it so even though it has nothing to do with anything I'm gonna foist it on this thread to make it feel like it was worth it

http://johndarnielle.tumblr.com/post/126993307991/quoms-the-best-ever-bitcoin-cannabis-drone

This is magical

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/severnayazemlya/153606228403

It turns out the secret justification here was that John Darnielle interacted with some ex-LF weird twitter people once.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

eschaton posted:

The only song that mentions where I grew up is Dead Skin Mask.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
:laffo: Avatars like this are actually funny.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

It was worth it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

poptart_fairy posted:

:laffo: Avatars like this are actually funny.

Gonna have to agree. Much better than an angry red warning under that downs fella or an anime sex-face.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

It turns out the secret justification here was that John Darnielle interacted with some ex-LF weird twitter people once.

Also that the Mountain Goats promote neoteny. It's also hilarious that Wesley calls LFers "genocidal" without a hint of irony at the kind of people who run in his circles and consider him a good writer :lol:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Can someone explain what it is about the Mountain Goats that gets up the dork enlightenment's collective nostril? I was unaware of their existence until John Darnielle was a guest bailiff on an episode of Judge John Hodgman. The Mountain Goats song they put in the podcast... well, I remember not liking it because musically it was not my sort of thing and lyrically it was kind of whatever. So I never bothered looking up more. Now I'm wondering if that was a poor decision just on the principle that if they piss off nydwracu maybe there's something cool and good there after all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

eschaton posted:

No songs mention the town I grew up again, but it is mentioned in the liner notes for one Pink Floyd's albums. Apparently there was a news story about a baby being left in a dumpster in my town while the band was playing in Detroit.

That's our claim to fame.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

BobHoward posted:

Can someone explain what it is about the Mountain Goats that gets up the dork enlightenment's collective nostril?

Idk, I like Mountain Goats okay, my guess is that its because the frontman is an outspoken abuse survivor and promotes ideas like "men ought to be able to express feelings other than anger or hunger without being denigrated"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BobHoward posted:

Can someone explain what it is about the Mountain Goats that gets up the dork enlightenment's collective nostril? I was unaware of their existence until John Darnielle was a guest bailiff on an episode of Judge John Hodgman. The Mountain Goats song they put in the podcast... well, I remember not liking it because musically it was not my sort of thing and lyrically it was kind of whatever. So I never bothered looking up more. Now I'm wondering if that was a poor decision just on the principle that if they piss off nydwracu maybe there's something cool and good there after all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BobHoward posted:

im not a huge fan of the mountain goats but the song parodied in that tumblr post is fuckin great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGHmr1NyBTw

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

As a cool non-tumblr-havr, that links to nothing.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

That's because Wesley has made it so you can only see his posts if you've got a Tumblr account.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

From one of the comments on that:

quote:

my Hot Take is that leftists hate lw so much bc it's one of the only places where cool people still believe in ~traditional ~liberal values like "intellectual open mindedness" and "things are generally getting better"

Less Wrong Dot Com, noted hangout for cool people.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

As a cool non-tumblr-havr, that links to nothing.

quote:

y’all wouldn’t listen to a band run by a dude who hangs around stormfront, so why do none of y’all have a problem with the mountain goats seeing as how john darnielle was in the somethingawful I loving Love Genocide twitter crew

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

From one of the comments on that:

Less Wrong Dot Com, noted hangout for cool people.

This is some "The reason people don't like me is that they're jealous of how attractive and intelligent I am" poo poo

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

y’all wouldn’t listen to a band run by a dude who hangs around stormfront, so why do none of y’all have a problem with the mountain goats seeing as how john darnielle was in the somethingawful I loving Love Genocide twitter crew

There's so many layers of idiocy in this simple statement. And I wasn't even around SA for the LF era so I doubt I get them all.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BobHoward posted:

There's so many layers of idiocy in this simple statement. And I wasn't even around SA for the LF era so I doubt I get them all.

Neither was Nydwracu. Some Marxist ex-LF people doxxed and trolled him back during the period where he was trying to sneak in to leftist spaces and convince people that the "Alt-left" is a thing that should exist. He's been trying to turn LF into the cultural Marxism of the internet ever since.

Another person who never posted on LF is John Darnielle, incidentally.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that he made Wesley so butthurt for so long is one of the few things I truly respect maggotmaster for.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

eschaton posted:

There are lots of songs about where I grew up. Because I grew up in Las Vegas.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BobHoward posted:

Super unrelated but did they make a joke about him sounding like John Hodgman because my friend thinks he sounds exactly like John Hodgman and I completely disagree :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Neither was Nydwracu. Some Marxist ex-LF people doxxed and trolled him back during the period where he was trying to sneak in to leftist spaces and convince people that the "Alt-left" is a thing that should exist. He's been trying to turn LF into the cultural Marxism of the internet ever since.

Another person who never posted on LF is John Darnielle, incidentally.

Speaking of the concept of the "alt-left" I had someone try to play the whole balancing fallacy "well the alt-left is just as bad as the alt-right!" thing on me in an argument the other day. I've never read anything definitive taking down the concept and if there is such a thing it would be neat to read it for future reference. In this case the person arguing had even less idea what he was talking about and was just parroting some 4chan nonsense so it was pretty easy to just point out that they, uh, had never actually seen anything alt-left ever so if they do exist they're hardly a valid thing to "balance" the alt-right, as if that would somehow make the alt-right less lovely even if it were true.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the alt left are people who say mean things to liberals on twitter.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like I guess you could make an argument that the alt-left is the actual left (in America) and the regular "left" is the democrats, who are more centrists than anything else. But something tells me that's not at all what they mean.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
There is no Alt-Left. The closest thing you get is the Contrarian Left, like Ted Rall and some of the more obnoxious LFers, and they are limited in scope to annoying people on the internet. There is absolutely no comparison in terms of scale, effect, and influence.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I Killed GBS posted:

There is no Alt-Left. The closest thing you get is the Contrarian Left, like Ted Rall and some of the more obnoxious LFers, and they are limited in scope to annoying people on the internet. There is absolutely no comparison in terms of scale, effect, and influence.

Basically

It's like how "SJW" started out as a term to mean a certain very specific kind of person on Tumblr who uses repurposed social justice jargon to defend sending death threats to people over not drawing cartoon characters fat enough, and then was slowly redefined into meaning a giant homogenous glob of evil consisting of everyone throughout all of space and time to the left of Rahm Emanuel

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Speaking of the concept of the "alt-left" I had someone try to play the whole balancing fallacy "well the alt-left is just as bad as the alt-right!" thing on me in an argument the other day. I've never read anything definitive taking down the concept and if there is such a thing it would be neat to read it for future reference. In this case the person arguing had even less idea what he was talking about and was just parroting some 4chan nonsense so it was pretty easy to just point out that they, uh, had never actually seen anything alt-left ever so if they do exist they're hardly a valid thing to "balance" the alt-right, as if that would somehow make the alt-right less lovely even if it were true.

The term is literally made up for the purpose of false balance.

Basically

It's like how "SJW" started out as a term to mean a certain very specific kind of person on Tumblr who uses repurposed social justice jargon to defend sending death threats to people over not drawing cartoon characters fat enough, and then was slowly redefined into meaning a giant homogenous glob of evil consisting of everyone throughout all of space and time to the left of Rahm Emanuel

I did actually trace it to non-ironic positive usage in the 1990s.

Meanwhile,

We Hunted The Mammoth has been having fun with old propaganda posters.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

divabot posted:

The term is literally made up for the purpose of false balance.

That's what I figured but I was hoping there was something making that obvious, like how it's easy to shut down people who think "virtue signalling" is some kind of academic thing by showing them that no actually it was made up by that one right wing columnist.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Super unrelated but did they make a joke about him sounding like John Hodgman because my friend thinks he sounds exactly like John Hodgman and I completely disagree :colbert:

I don't think they did. Also I had zero difficulty distinguishing who was speaking so tell your friend he's full of poo poo because a random person on the internet agrees with you

Skittle Prickle
Oct 28, 2005

The best-tasting pickle I ever heard!

I Killed GBS posted:

I mean, there are plenty of radical communist and anarchist comunities that are alternatives to the mainstream left, but they don't need to hide their politics under layers of irony (beyond the normal memes and whatnot). Whereas the alt-right tend to be fascist-adjacent, but don't admit it publicly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
The alt-left exists in terms of peopletankies trying to tell actual Hispanics who rafted out of Cuba that they're bougie scum. It's hilarious when it happens because the people saying this are typically white kids talking down to minorities, just like their worst enemies do. But they have zero power in the U.S. by any standard and we're not going to a planned economy. Ever. So in terms of influence and numbers there's just no comparison to the alt-right.