Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
I have been watching a netflix show called "3%" about what life is like in modern day Brazil, it's dramatic and fun and pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Thanks for the Hinterlands/Y Gwyll recommendation. Watched the first episode, then very quickly watched the rest. It's fantastic. Shame there's only 4 episodes because I could have easily kept watching it.

Broadchurch isn't available on UK Netflix anymore unfortunately. Going to try River as that looks like a good crime serial, and well Stellan Skarsgard. :v:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Twerk from Home posted:

I got a fancy-rear end new Dolby Vision HDR + 4K TV, is there any Netflix 4K content that's also good TV or is it just dreck so far?

Narcos

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
For anyone like me who discounted Galavant because you thought it'd be too Once Upon a Time, having watched most of it now I'd say a much better comparison is Men in Tights. It's more jokey than Princess Bride though that's also a decent comparison. It's a little mainstream in that it's a bit heavy on the "lol look we're subverting a trope!" but overall I'm finding it enjoyable and the cast is great.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
There's a new original show on Netflix called Pacific Heat; is it just an Aussie ripoff of Archer, or worth watching?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

There's a new original show on Netflix called Pacific Heat; is it just an Aussie ripoff of Archer, or worth watching?

Using IMDB as an indicator, it's either really funny or pretty bad. 4.5 with 59 votes, and people in their forums said the animation is horrible and is more like "a bad cartoon version of NTSF:SD:SUV" however others really like it even if it's a ripoff of Archer.

Looks like you might just have to give it a try.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I was wondering same thing. Take one for the team and report back with your opinion.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Hey the live action Jungle Book is on Netflix and it is pretty good. I really did not expect to like it very much but it's pretty good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Mr Holmes is on Amazon Prime. Sherlock is near the end of his life, is suffering from alzheimer's, and tries to remember the case the sent him to retirement. All he knows for sure is that the real ending was different than Watson's story and he assumes that if it sent him into retirement that he was unsuccessful. If you go in expecting to see the genius you will be disappointed, Holmes is a shadow of his former self, but Ian McKellen is outstanding and I was pulled in from the get go.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

For anyone like me who discounted Galavant because you thought it'd be too Once Upon a Time, having watched most of it now I'd say a much better comparison is Men in Tights. It's more jokey than Princess Bride though that's also a decent comparison. It's a little mainstream in that it's a bit heavy on the "lol look we're subverting a trope!" but overall I'm finding it enjoyable and the cast is great.

I keep telling people this!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Riffrax, the Mystery Science Theater 3000 spiritual successor, just dropped a bunch of their streaming video full length movie riffs on Amazon Prime if anyone still uses that

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

wormil posted:

Mr Holmes is on Amazon Prime. Sherlock is near the end of his life, is suffering from alzheimer's, and tries to remember the case the sent him to retirement. All he knows for sure is that the real ending was different than Watson's story and he assumes that if it sent him into retirement that he was unsuccessful. If you go in expecting to see the genius you will be disappointed, Holmes is a shadow of his former self, but Ian McKellen is outstanding and I was pulled in from the get go.

Saw this in the theater. It was good.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

jodai posted:

Hey the live action Jungle Book is on Netflix and it is pretty good. I really did not expect to like it very much but it's pretty good.

The new live action jungle book or the old live action jungle book?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

New one. It's pretty good.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

best bale posted:

I was wondering same thing. Take one for the team and report back with your opinion.

Watched two episodes of Pacific Heat and it really, really feels like an Archer ripoff but much less funny. I'll try watching one or two more just for kicks. Also because I think the character VJ in South African by her accent and I'd like to confirm that. I think their informant is supposed to be Maori, but I don't know all the accents well enough to guess plus the writing is so stilted and delivery so wooden I can't tell what's accent and what's failure.

Aside from just not being that funny, and painfully an Archer ripoff, it appears that Australians have a much, much higher tolerance/enjoyment of ethnic humor directed at East Asians. Also, as weird as this sounds, it really seems like they're using some kind of computerized voice generator for some of the characters, like normal people talking but there's this slight auto-tune-esque vibe to it that sounds really unnatural.

I guess my overall assessment is it's pretty bad but I'm intrigued enough to sit through another hour or so to see how bad it is.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Fumaofthelake posted:

Give it 4 or 5 episodes.

This turned out to be spot on. By ep 6 it felt like a different show.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Inzombiac posted:

New one. It's pretty good.

I liked it. End credits were so great too.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Watched two episodes of Pacific Heat and it really, really feels like an Archer ripoff but much less funny. I'll try watching one or two more just for kicks. Also because I think the character VJ in South African by her accent and I'd like to confirm that. I think their informant is supposed to be Maori, but I don't know all the accents well enough to guess plus the writing is so stilted and delivery so wooden I can't tell what's accent and what's failure.

Aside from just not being that funny, and painfully an Archer ripoff, it appears that Australians have a much, much higher tolerance/enjoyment of ethnic humor directed at East Asians. Also, as weird as this sounds, it really seems like they're using some kind of computerized voice generator for some of the characters, like normal people talking but there's this slight auto-tune-esque vibe to it that sounds really unnatural.

I guess my overall assessment is it's pretty bad but I'm intrigued enough to sit through another hour or so to see how bad it is.

This was a very good write up, I appreciate your sacrifice.

Also glad it's "good" enough to keep watching a bit for laughs and not just so bad it makes you angry. I'll file this one away for drinking nights with friends.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I've been using it as background noise while I eat or dick around with my phone.

I honestly like it more than the most recent Archer seasons. Nowhere near as good as early Archer, though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Mercenary is really something. It's the story of a young pacific islander who accepts a contract to go to France to play rugby professionally - and then things do not go according to plan at all. It's really bleak for most of the movie and the ending was really something. I went in expecting that the kid would end up joining to French Foreign Legion and becoming Major Badass, but that is not what happened at all. Largely it is about being a minority in a niche career and what sacrifices you have to make. "Come on - show us a haka - just a little one! Why you gotta be such a punk!?"

I also saw Supremacy, which is a fictionalized retelling of the window of freedom that Walter Scully Jr experienced before returning to captivity after killing a police officer and taking a family hostage. Danny Glover really kills it, and the cameo by Anson Mount was great - I nearly didn't recognize him until I heard his voice.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Speaking of shows you avoid watching but then end up getting into, I finally gave Netflix's F is for Family a try. Somehow I thought it'd just be a bad Family Guy ripoff, and I hated the one episode of Brickleberry I watched so was already cartoon-shy.

I'm really getting into F now though; it's a dark-but-sweet comedy about lower-middle-class suburban life in the 1970s. If I had to draw a comparison, maybe it's a cross between Rugrats and Bojack?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Speaking of shows you avoid watching but then end up getting into, I finally gave Netflix's F is for Family a try. Somehow I thought it'd just be a bad Family Guy ripoff, and I hated the one episode of Brickleberry I watched so was already cartoon-shy.

I'm really getting into F now though; it's a dark-but-sweet comedy about lower-middle-class suburban life in the 1970s. If I had to draw a comparison, maybe it's a cross between Rugrats and Bojack?

You're in charge, if anything happens to her just call me and I'll come right home... and put you through that fuckin wall.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Just watched a film labeled "The Grip Reaper" on Amazon Prime, turns out to be the US title for the 1980 Italian horror film Antropophagus that I'd scrolled past on YouTube while searching cheesy old slashers.

I watched it and found it overall enjoyable since I like the genre, though I was kind of surprised it wasn't very gory. All the more surprised when I glanced at the Wikipedia article and it mentioned it was one of the infamous "video nasties" that was banned in Britain for years. I eventually deduced that what I watched must've been the R-rated cut where they cut out all the extreme gore, most famously the part where the killer pulls a fetus out of his pregnant victim and eats it.

I don't know if the version on YouTube is full-gore or partial, but in whatever case it's worth a watch if you liked Bay of Blood and other such Italian slashers.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

My sister sent me a snapchat of the sex scene and I immediately started watching it and loved it. If you don't know what scene it is you will when you see it I promise you.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

That felt like a show that was better than it had any right to be.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

3% on Netflix. It's a Portuguese sci-fi show about a yearly contest where anyone who is 20 years-old can attempt to pass a series of trials to gain permanent membership into "The Offshore", a utopia and beacon of hope while the rest of the world has gone to poo poo.
I won't say anything more because I like it and you should too!

Most of the costumes are dumb as hell but I don't really care.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Leavemywife posted:

That felt like a show that was better than it had any right to be.

Bill Burr is awesome and he drew on a lot of his own experiences growing up when he was writing the show.

Think it is getting a second season as well.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yup second season was confirmed a few months ago. It'll be out mid 2017 I think it said.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Search for General Tso on Netflix is a docu about finding the man who created General Tso's Chicken (I believe he just passed away recently), but a larger look at the history of Chinese American cuisine and Chinese restaurants and it's really awesome and will make you hungry. It even has a neat little twist at the end.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Jane the Virgin is some of the most hilarious TV I've seen in ages. (Netflix)

It's a telenovela on steroids, played mostly seriously but clearly meant to ape the genre. Don't be scared off by "telenovela;" it's very accessible if your first language is English and I don't mean in a "just read the subtitles" way. A vast majority of the dialogue is in English and even if you don't speak a word of Spanish, it's clear from the context what the Spanish lines are.

I don't want to spoil too much but the premise is laid out in the first seconds of the show--Jane was waiting to have sex until she was married, and during a routine gynecological exam, her doctor confuses her for another patient and artificially inseminates her instead of doing a simple exam.

What follows is an amalgamation of every telenovela ever, except with the intensity turned to 11. Betrayals, evil twins, characters disappearing for episodes and then coming back inexplicably, etc., and all of it is narrated by the excessively talented Anthony Mendez in real time.

It's amazing.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

3% on Netflix. It's a Portuguese sci-fi show about a yearly contest where anyone who is 20 years-old can attempt to pass a series of trials to gain permanent membership into "The Offshore", a utopia and beacon of hope while the rest of the world has gone to poo poo.
I won't say anything more because I like it and you should too!

Most of the costumes are dumb as hell but I don't really care.

Brazilian.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Jane the Virgin is some of the most hilarious TV I've seen in ages. (Netflix)

It's a telenovela on steroids, played mostly seriously but clearly meant to ape the genre. Don't be scared off by "telenovela;" it's very accessible if your first language is English and I don't mean in a "just read the subtitles" way. A vast majority of the dialogue is in English and even if you don't speak a word of Spanish, it's clear from the context what the Spanish lines are.

I don't want to spoil too much but the premise is laid out in the first seconds of the show--Jane was waiting to have sex until she was married, and during a routine gynecological exam, her doctor confuses her for another patient and artificially inseminates her instead of doing a simple exam.

What follows is an amalgamation of every telenovela ever, except with the intensity turned to 11. Betrayals, evil twins, characters disappearing for episodes and then coming back inexplicably, etc., and all of it is narrated by the excessively talented Anthony Mendez in real time.

It's amazing.

A friend from college works on that show and posts about it on Facebook all the time. It looks good and I hope it does well, he's a cool dude.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Woops. Them speaking Portuguese threw me off. The city looking like a São Paulo slum should have tipped me off.

Sources are saying that Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is available but I can't find it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Woops. Them speaking Portuguese threw me off. The city looking like a São Paulo slum should have tipped me off.

Sources are saying that Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is available but I can't find it.

If you're friends with Daniel Torr4nce he has a copy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

syscall girl posted:

If you're friends with Daniel Torr4nce he has a copy.

Part of the point of this thread is that you're *not* pirating things, you know

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

Part of the point of this thread is that you're *not* pirating things, you know

I like my netflix and HBO Go accounts but people do use alternatives. Especially when there is no way to pay for something.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Inzombiac posted:

Definitely available on my Netflix as I binge watched it over the last few days. Think on the US it is BBC America, but Netflix elsewhere.

I started off hating it and much preferring the BBC version with Stephen Mangan, then after about three episodes, the plot kept unfurling and really held my interest. It's nothing to do with the books whatsoever, but it is a pretty good take on the interconnectedness-of-all-things theme. Kind of hate the bloke playing Dirk though, he just seems to be doing it as camp with not really any nuance.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rolo posted:

A friend from college works on that show and posts about it on Facebook all the time. It looks good and I hope it does well, he's a cool dude.

Tell your friend from college some guy from the internet said he's a cool dude working on a cool show and wish him well for me

Inzombiac posted:

3% on Netflix.

Thanks for this. We put it on last night and were very impressed. The premise almost makes it sound like a Hunger Games knockoff but it's far from it and well worth watching.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Tell your friend from college some guy from the internet said he's a cool dude working on a cool show and wish him well for me

Thanks for this. We put it on last night and were very impressed. The premise almost makes it sound like a Hunger Games knockoff but it's far from it and well worth watching.

Good :D
I haven't finished it yet but one thing I love is how there really isn't a big, bad villain.
Everyone is just doing their best in an extremely flawed system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched an episode of Pacific Heat and everyone who said it was terrible wasn't lying.