Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Those are WWII themed :colbert:
shadow hearts literally takes place during world war 1 my man

the first game ends with the assassination of archduve franz ferdinand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tabata was hired because he ships projects out, which is a valuable thing for Square during the 14 1.0 era.

It's really weird people keep attributing to Tabata as a writer, no one references Yoshi-P about FF14 RR's writing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Endorph posted:

shadow hearts literally takes place during world war 1 my man

the first game ends with the assassination of archduve franz ferdinand

gently caress you're right.

Man I really liked covenant

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Instead of wondering when we'll get another game with FFT's level of worldbuilding, I'm wondering when we'll get another FFT

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

covenant is really good but don't sleep on sh1, that game is good too

i like the scene where the japanese spy is all 'he's going to blow up japan!!' and the old chinese dude is like '... okay, but what's the downside?"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

When you are playing this game to Skynyrd's Free Bird

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Endorph posted:

covenant is really good but don't sleep on sh1, that game is good too

i like the scene where the japanese spy is all 'he's going to blow up japan!!' and the old chinese dude is like '... okay, but what's the downside?"

Shadow Hearts was a little too rough for me. It had promise that was reached in covenant but I could never get too into it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Are there more outfits than their prince/crownguard stuff and casual outfits? I really don't like my current fashion options

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

SH1 is a really really good game, Covenant was good too but I didn't like how much they cranked up the dumb slapstick humor. Including four characters whose entire purpose is homoerotic comic relief was a lot more than the recommended "not any"

and then From the New World is basically an groanfest with no self-awareness

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

covenant had a lot of groaners but some of the jokes really landed (I love Ring Soul) and I think it was nicely contrasted with the fact that Yuri's pretty miserable the whole game.

From the new world is trying way too hard tho

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
So can you ever go back to Altissia? I'm getting a prompt saying if I go forward with a question I'm done with the city, but there are still hunts here that I haven't done (and can't do because I'm a little bit low for them). There's also the monster colosseum and other stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

So can you ever go back to Altissia? I'm getting a prompt saying if I go forward with a question I'm done with the city, but there are still hunts here that I haven't done (and can't do because I'm a little bit low for them). There's also the monster colosseum and other stuff.

Nothing is ever rendered inaccessible AFAIK, at worst you're cut off from stuff for a little.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Also please someone start a blog recreating these meals.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Nothing is ever rendered inaccessible AFAIK, at worst you're cut off from stuff for a little.

Ok, thanks.

Also wow, at least up until around Chapter 10 this is basically incomprehensible.

Oh I want the ring, let me just appear next to you, say give me the ring, then say nah nvm, stab you. Suddenly I'm on a train, everyone's mad at me. Why am I going down this mine? I have no idea. Gladiolus is super pissy with me. Why? Who knows!? What the gently caress is happening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

Ok, thanks.

Also wow, at least up until around Chapter 10 this is basically incomprehensible.

Oh I want the ring, let me just appear next to you, say give me the ring, then say nah nvm, stab you. Suddenly I'm on a train, everyone's mad at me. Why am I going down this mine? I have no idea. Gladiolus is super pissy with me. Why? Who knows!? What the gently caress is happening.

Galdio is pissed that Noctis is moping and not really showing much concern for Ignis. Something that would be more meaningful if A) We loving saw Ignis get goddamn blinded, holy poo poo and B) We saw anything between the two moments to get the feeling that happened.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Tae posted:

Anybody that wants a quick look at the versus13->ff15 announcement trailer, how much actually made it in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUSXub_ypU

Well, everything in Altissia in that trailer was all CGI anyway. In the finished game, Leviathan still attacks Altissia along with the Empire, although of course it's not as pretty/involved

That first trailer wasn't really even FF15 but it was more indicative of the state Versus was in during the time they decided to port the game to the PS4, by which I mean a bunch of CGI, a few areas/enemies and the basic battle system. We didn't get a first glimpse of FF15 as we know it until TGS the next year.

ImpAtom posted:

In this case it is because the plot isn't nonsense. It's actually a very straightforward plot just told very roughly. You can basically see the "INSERT CUTSCENE HERE" elements.

3rd Birthday and Type-0 are kind of metaphysical nonsense. FFXV is basically a pretty straightforward JRPG plot with plot points missing or shoved into text documents or whatever.

Yeah. If anything, FFXV suffers first and foremost from a lack of quantity, and not a lack of quality. Of course this is all in my opinion, but I absolutely loved the story and the only times I was bothered by it was when the game sort of decided that stuff just happened and didn't feel the need to tell me about it. The most egregious example in my opinion is when Ravus gets executed.

People also seem to have complaints about certain characters not being developed enough, which is again a problem with quantity and not quality, since often times those characters just aren't given enough screen time to get developed in the first place. Although I was still affected by Luna's death, mostly because I liked Noctis as a character and could empathize with his sorrow and also that loving Luna CGI scene after her death is just so goddamn gorgeous I was honestly floored by it.

I also think there are some really good performances in this game by JRPG standards. I think Noctis is probably the best voiced Final Fantasy character ever. The scene at the end where Noctis and his friends are having one last campfire before the final battle is really good mostly because Noctis' VA does an incredible job in that scene, it's probably the best performance in a FF game.

mikeraskol posted:

Ok, thanks.

Ardyn didn't want the ring himself, he wants Noctis to have the ring. Gladiolus is pissed at Noctis because he's moping around after Luna's death and won't put the drat ring on. And you're going down into the mine to get a Royal Weapon, I believe Ignis even tells you as much on the ride.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Galdio is pissed that Noctis is moping and not really showing much concern for Ignis. Something that would be more meaningful if A) We loving saw Ignis get goddamn blinded, holy poo poo and B) We saw anything between the two moments to get the feeling that happened.

Yeah A and B were basically the point I was making. The whole plot structure is just totally ridiculous and feels like they ran out of time and had just just go "ok what can we do with the scenes we have." I like this game but jesus christ. I still have no clue why I was on the train, why we stopped where we did or why I'm in this loving mine after just going super saiyan and battling Leviathan.

quote:

Ardyn didn't want the ring himself, he wants Noctis to have the ring. Gladiolus is pissed at Noctis because he's moping around after Luna's death and won't put the drat ring on. And you're going down into the mine to get a Royal Weapon, I believe Ignis even tells you as much on the ride.

On the train Prompto mentioned something about hoping Noctis's ancestors hid their tombs in more friendly places, but that's a far cry from telling me that's why I'm here.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 4, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

mikeraskol posted:

Yeah A and B were basically the point I was making. The whole plot structure is just totally ridiculous and feels like they ran out of time and had just just go "ok what can we do with the scenes we have." I like this game but jesus christ. I still have no clue why I was on the train, why we stopped where we did or why I'm in this loving mine after just going super saiyan and battling Leviathan.

There was a kings arm there and you do still wanna catch em all

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It's super annoying to me that the map marker doesn't disappear when I reach it. Seems like the game will place one when I select a quest to drive to and it doesn't go away for whatever reason.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Anyone know where to buy Fine Gighee Ham? I'm trying to make the +50% xp food in post game because some of this content is absurdly high level and I ended the game at 48

Vendor in Lestallum sells it

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 4, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This game is Xenoblade Chronicles X but infinitely more fun

both games have tiny text though and I hate it

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

On the train Prompto mentioned something about hoping Noctis's ancestors hid their tombs in more friendly places, but that's a far cry from telling me that's why I'm here.

I agree that it's kind of abrupt. Also, it's not even exactly right that you're on the train to get the weapon from the tomb, it's more like you're just stopping off there because it's on the way to Gralea, the capital of the empire. Basically, you're taking the train to Gralea to get the crystal back from the empire, and on the way you're doing a few more stops to shore up your power.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think we need to see Ignis get blinded, really. It's sort of doesn't matter how it happened. I actually feel like it works better as a reveal after Noctis wakes up than it would if it would've cut away from Noctis doing his thing against Leviathan to show Ignis getting cut in the face by a robot-man or whatever. But I do think that we could've definitely used some scenes after the reveal of Ignis' blindness and before Gladio get's pissed at Noctis showing Noctis being all "woe is me my girlfriend died", wallowing in his poo poo, and not giving a poo poo about Ignis. As it stands you just kind of gotta infer that's what's going on.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Stormgale posted:

There was a kings arm there and you do still wanna catch em all

It's kinda odd that you can beat the game without actually collecting them all. Like I think if you skip the optional ones you can go into the final battle with just 4 of 'em. Feels weird given how much their importance is stressed early on and how many missions there are based around them.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's kinda odd that you can beat the game without actually collecting them all. Like I think if you skip the optional ones you can go into the final battle with just 4 of 'em. Feels weird given how much their importance is stressed early on and how many missions there are based around them.

Yeah, the other issue is that some of them are behind level 50 fights, which is just past what the enemies on the way to the final battle are

Just another thing to add to the "No Follow through" Pile

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 4, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mischitary posted:

I agree that it's kind of abrupt. Also, it's not even exactly right that you're on the train to get the weapon from the tomb, it's more like you're just stopping off there because it's on the way to Gralea, the capital of the empire. Basically, you're taking the train to Gralea to get the crystal back from the empire, and on the way you're doing a few more stops to shore up your power.

I don't think we need to see Ignis get blinded, really. It's sort of doesn't matter how it happened. I actually feel like it works better as a reveal after Noctis wakes up than it would if it would've cut away from Noctis doing his thing against Leviathan to show Ignis getting cut in the face by a robot-man or whatever. But I do think that we could've definitely used some scenes after the reveal of Ignis' blindness and before Gladio get's pissed at Noctis showing Noctis being all "woe is me my girlfriend died", wallowing in his poo poo, and not giving a poo poo about Ignis. As it stands you just kind of gotta infer that's what's going on.

No, we really did. FFXV can kinda-sorta get away with "they weren't there so they don't need to see it" for a lot of the other stuff it glosses over but Ignis getting cripplingly injured really should be something we see. We have no idea how it happened and it feels incredibly arbitrary that Ignis got blinded without us seeing why. It's hard to really feel like it was an act with consequence and not a random plot fiat when we don't even see or hear of Ignis after the Leviathan scene starts. We get a ride from Prompto but Ignis is just Offscreen.

If we saw it happen (or even better, if Ignis was injured doing something critical that helped Noctis) then the following segment would feel more like "aw, poo poo, this dude saved our rear end..." and not "Oh, christ, stop whining at me Gladiolus."

I actually like the mine sequence in theory but the lack of context and buildup makes it hard to do anything but get sick of Gladiolus's poo poo.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 4, 2016

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Reached chapter 10 tonight. It's starting to feel more and more like they deleted every other cutscene from the main story in order to get it out the door on time. I'm still pretty sure I get what's going on, but events and characters keep popping up as if I'm supposed to be familiar with them already and I'm learning way too much information from newspapers and radios a couple chapters after it happened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Actually, something I recall that I'm not sure about:

When Noctis gets Roused by someone, does that involve a permanent stat boost or just something temporary? I assume the latter but I realize I never checked.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Okay, the more time I put into this game the less I like it. Combat with multiple dudes is starting to make a little sense, but the very short enemy windups combined with the very long animations for all of your attacks other than with maybe daggers makes combat feel bad? Noctis feels very sluggish. And when you combine enemies that are very willing to gang up with your allies who you can't control and can't figure out how to avoid being ganged up on, basically any difficult fight ends up with them either dying a lot or you spamming a lot of potions. I'd say they feel worse than donald and goofy, but it's been a long time since I played that game so I could be wrong.

It's hard to keep playing this game when I remember how good lightning returns was and how Dragon's Dogma is basically this game but better, combat-wise. I really think people are being very easy on this game because it's a mainline FF game that doesn't instantly reveal that it's poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trick Question posted:

Okay, the more time I put into this game the less I like it. Combat with multiple dudes is starting to make a little sense, but the very short enemy windups combined with the very long animations for all of your attacks other than with maybe daggers makes combat feel bad? Noctis feels very sluggish. And when you combine enemies that are very willing to gang up with your allies who you can't control and can't figure out how to avoid being ganged up on, basically any difficult fight ends up with them either dying a lot or you spamming a lot of potions. I'd say they feel worse than donald and goofy, but it's been a long time since I played that game so I could be wrong.

It's hard to keep playing this game when I remember how good lightning returns was and how Dragon's Dogma is basically this game but better, combat-wise. I really think people are being very easy on this game because it's a mainline FF game that doesn't instantly reveal that it's poo poo.

Combat against multiple enemies is something where you really have to approach it differently. What you should be doing is warping in, attacking, and warping out. You should basically be looking for chances to Backside Attack, in, hit it, out, over and over. Noctis excels at hit-and-run and the game really expects you to spam Warp Sword.

That and using Magic to thin out numbers but I won't blame you for not using magic because I didn't like it either.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is there no way to make the lock on a toggle as opposed to something I have to hold?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I guess I'm weird, I've spent 13 hours and I'm still in chapter 1

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I guess I'm weird, I've spent 13 hours and I'm still in chapter 1

No, that isn't' weird at all.

The bulk of most of your game time is going to be spent in chapters 1-4. Basically once you decide to move on from Chapter 4 (probably at like level 60) you'll probably ride it right to the endgame and then go back to do stuff in the post-game.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Skeezy posted:

Is there no way to make the lock on a toggle as opposed to something I have to hold?

In control scheme C, R1 while holding L1 toggles lock-on. Not sure what the other schemes are but it's probably the map button while holding the lock-on button

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Skeezy posted:

I think I've heard to click in R3 while locking on. But imo with the combat system as it is I don't spend too long locked on to any one same point anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just finished chapter 9. God drat did the story just take a HUGE nosedive. That was so dumb.

We already lost Regis who we as players didn't really know (Unless you watch Kingsglaive I guess, even then) and then when we finally meet up with Luna, we can't even see her before she's dead? This is dumb. They even give you a dialogue option "I demand to see Luna" and they're like 'nah can't do it you'll just have to see her later' so of course she dies before you even get to speak with her. This is a dumb undeserved death. Just kicking the player while they're down here. I guess they're going for a tragic story for Noctis, or maybe she'll come back in the end or something, but that whole scene just felt really weird and dumb and rushed (like this whole story lol) In FF7 everybody cared about Aeris' death because she was a party member, she talked a lot, she had a personality, you got to see her change a bit and talk about her past, and then when you got used to her, she was gone. Here we just meet Luna and then WELP. Its like a joke. Its almost funny, like yeah of course she's dead, because videogames. Then then whole boss fight was also garbage. They were so busy making the epic city battle they didn't worry about how nonsensical it was (can't we just fight leviathan over in the nearby lake or something instead?) and then Luna gets stabbed by Ardyn which comes out of nowhere and we have no control over, and then you can't even process that because you're back to fighting. And unlike Titan which was fun, its not even a proper boss fight. Most of it is QTEs that only involve the circle button, O O O O over and over like the dumbest QTEs that make god of war look deep, and then there's a sequence where you have full-on god mode and it just goes on way to loving long. I actually thought my game was bugged or I was doing something wrong, but nope. The fight just takes like 5 loving minutes of repetitive poo poo, and there's no strategy or danger because you're just god-mode the whole time. WHY.

Okay the good bits; the city was beautiful fantasy-Venice, meeting the Mayor lady and having that negotiation was pretty fun and okay writing (not great but not bad), and after Luna passes, the scene where Noct just walks to the boat and you see Gladio talking to him but its all muted and you can't hear anything, that was very well done and gives the previous death some otherwise completely lacking emotional impact.

Also the handling of summons in this game is pretty hosed. I have Ramuh and Titan, got Titan first, but have cast Ramuh twice and Titan no times. Then I have to fight Leviathan, why don't I just summon Ramuh or Titan? Can't. Because plot. And then you summon Titan at the end in a cutscene. Couldn't summon him earlier because... drama.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 4, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
learn your weapons moveset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw4bagA0k5g

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

No, we really did. FFXV can kinda-sorta get away with "they weren't there so they don't need to see it" for a lot of the other stuff it glosses over but Ignis getting cripplingly injured really should be something we see. We have no idea how it happened and it feels incredibly arbitrary that Ignis got blinded without us seeing why. It's hard to really feel like it was an act with consequence and not a random plot fiat when we don't even see or hear of Ignis after the Leviathan scene starts. We get a ride from Prompto but Ignis is just Offscreen.

If we saw it happen (or even better, if Ignis was injured doing something critical that helped Noctis) then the following segment would feel more like "aw, poo poo, this dude saved our rear end..." and not "Oh, christ, stop whining at me Gladiolus."

I think I just disagree with you here. I mean, they were all basically in a warzone, so it wasn't too hard for me to believe that one of them could easily get injured. I'm not going to go so far as to say I would've liked it a lot less if there was a scene showing, as you say, Ignis doing some crucial thing to help Noctis and getting wounded over it, but I don't think it would've made me feel more sympathetic to Ignis or make the scene where Gladio gets upset at Noctis have more weight.

Like I said previously, I actually like that they kept it as a surprise reveal. They basically set up Ignis' losing his sight to be a sort of parallel loss to Noctis losing Luna, and Ignis' blindness getting revealed directly after Noctis wakes up crying over Luna's death emphasizes this. To me it's not supposed to be about how much Ignis has sacrificed for Noctis in particular, at least not entirely so, but more about how Ignis has also lost something important, and therefore the exact circumstances of Ignis' getting blinded doesn't seem so crucial to me.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Eh. I like it because it has charm for days. I dig the combat and music and overall story (even if it's rough in spots). I'd be fine with a leaner, connect-the-dots story if it was more consistently that, and I think the combat should be explained better (the gap between beginner and intermediate is significant), but for my bit I'm not giving it a pass due to the series. Are some folks? Probably, that's a reasonable take.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
drat, this game started to hit the feels button real hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
So uh, do you ever get to buy any more outfits or do you only have the 4 tepid options?

Also, am I missing something? I'm level 22 and I'm fighting level 17 crabs, for instance, but Noctis keeps getting hit from full health down to danger mode. I'd use a hi-potion but it hasn't even been 10 seconds and I'm back in danger and this I need an elixer... it's also kinda hard to avoid getting hit when you are surrounded by them too and the lack of a lock-on toggle is annoying when it constantly shifts targeting from enemy to enemy and the blindside I was going for suddenly becomes an attempt to hit a monster in the face only to have said monster kill me.

• Locked thread