Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

trucutru posted:

Avant blader is good but it is nothing compared to the Floral Fencer and OTOHIME SAMA I WILL DESTROY THEIR EARDRUMS!
Otohime I can obviously see why she might be even more busted than Tia, but floral doesn't seem that much better than Cudgel/Wardrobe Raider/Dragon Warrior. On-curve, yeah, floral is better, but off-curve the others seem comparable. Once I play more I'll probably understand the fencer thing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

Otohime I can obviously see why she might be even more busted than Tia, but floral doesn't seem that much better than Cudgel/Wardrobe Raider/Dragon Warrior. On-curve, yeah, floral is better, but off-curve the others seem comparable. Once I play more I'll probably understand the fencer thing more.

The thing about the fencer is that produces 3 officers, which can be pumped by your commanders the next turn, creating all kinds of awkward trades and being difficult to remove. Floral Fencer is better first, to help you snowball, and much worse than Avant if you cannot evolve her. Sword tends to have the board in the early game (or go second and have the floral get i) and that makes florals really shine, since they cannot drop and 2-for-1 enemies in a single turn like most of the others do.

Like, if you drop and evolve 2 florals in a row, it is really difficult to deal with all that crap outside AOE, and you cannot ignore it because next comes an rear end in a top hat commander.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 3, 2016

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

No Wave posted:

Bloodcraft and Dragoncraft have better cards to play turn 4 than their respectable 4 evolved drops. If blood has some bats on the field, it's better to play Vania; if dragon ramps up they have some better 5 pp cards to play turn 4. Rami/Remi is a really disgusting 4 drop with a earth sigil since it actually gets +2/+2 on evolve in addition to a 3/3 ward. It's the only thing that keeps Dirtrune well, out of the dirt completely.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

trucutru posted:

The thing about the fencer is that produces 3 officers, which can be pumped by your commanders the next turn, creating all kinds of awkward trades and being difficult to remove. Floral Fencer is better first, to help you snowball, and much worse than Avant if you cannot evolve her. Sword tends to have the board in the early game (or go second and have the floral get i) and that makes florals really shine, since they cannot drop and 2-for-1 enemies in a single turn like most of the others do.

Like, if you drop and evolve 2 florals in a row, it is really difficult to deal with all that crap outside AOE, and you cannot ignore it because next comes an rear end in a top hat commander.
Got it. I haven't played much swordcraft outside of newbie decks so I wasn't thinking of the commander synergy.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah building up a board of officers to get buffed by a sage commander or something is basically what you want to do as midrange sword

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

No Wave posted:

Also why is Mentor's teachings not used in constructed? Seems like a great card. Does swordcraft have card draw that's even more efficient?

I've played with teachings for a bit in banner sword. Best case for the card is it lets you trade your 1/1 for their 2 drop on turn 3 while curving into a 2 drop of your own. More often it's just going to be 1 damage to face plus a cycle, which is fine. Being able to draw into more reach is nice.

The problem with the card is that banner sword is trying to curve out as hard as possible and it can sometimes lead to turns where you're not being the most efficient with your mana. Let's say you have a turn where you're board is clear and you have to play a minion just to cycle the teachings because there's nothing else in your hand to play. In that spot you'd much rather just have a random cheap creature instead.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
its actually kind of startling how competent the bots/ai are at playing the game

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

FACT: the guy who won the big japanese tourney had 1 mentor's teachings in his mid-range sword deck, while the guy in second did not.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

I swear the AI cheats their deck to perfect curve.

Urias' final level in story mode is Erika with a perfect budget banner deck. 14 games in a row banner was out by turn 4 and floral turn 5.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

can a minion with storm attack once then evolve and attack again?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

no but you can urd a storm minion for 2 attacks

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

also approximately how much $ is 500 crystals?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

General Morden posted:

also approximately how much $ is 500 crystals?

:10bux:

Although there's the one-time deal of 600 for $6 they use to hook you in.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I charitably assume that disconnects are kids whose parents are calling them, or people who need to take a phone call or something. The alternative, that someone is too upset about doing badly at a pretend card game to quit in the right fashion, is pretty weird.

What I find a bit off is people who concede long before they're certain to lose. Seems unsporting.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Dzhay posted:

I charitably assume that disconnects are kids whose parents are calling them, or people who need to take a phone call or something. The alternative, that someone is too upset about doing badly at a pretend card game to quit in the right fashion, is pretty weird.

What I find a bit off is people who concede long before they're certain to lose. Seems unsporting.

I'd imagine they quit for two reasons:

1. In hopes that you'll get impatient with the timer and restart the game on Steam or switch to a different app while waiting on mobile. Both those things will result in a loss for you.

2. There's a difficult to pull off exploit where if they minimize the mobile app exactly as lethal is dealt to them, it confuses the game's disconnection detection and there's a chance you'll get the loss instead, even if you wait out the entire timer. It's really rare for it to work, as I've never had it happen in hundreds and hundreds of games, but there's been plenty of reports of it. Up in the AA ranks it's really common for players to try it, hoping to keep their score.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

Confrimed: The Crystalias are a family of assholes

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Sophism posted:

I'd imagine they quit for two reasons:

1. In hopes that you'll get impatient with the timer and restart the game on Steam or switch to a different app while waiting on mobile. Both those things will result in a loss for you.

2. There's a difficult to pull off exploit where if they minimize the mobile app exactly as lethal is dealt to them, it confuses the game's disconnection detection and there's a chance you'll get the loss instead, even if you wait out the entire timer. It's really rare for it to work, as I've never had it happen in hundreds and hundreds of games, but there's been plenty of reports of it. Up in the AA ranks it's really common for players to try it, hoping to keep their score.

That's pretty sad.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

General Morden posted:

its actually kind of startling how competent the bots/ai are at playing the game

They don't miss lethal like humans but they can be overeager to trade, even when it's suboptimal.

They can also kick the poo poo out of you by just running off-meta cards that nobody remembers exists. I was testing out my like... 80% done Tempo Forest against the AI and tried it out against elite Rune, forgetting that their evolving 4 drop nukes the board of fairies. And their followup fivedrop does the same without evolving. Haven was using Hallowed Dogma to speed out Holywing Dragons to do the same thing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is everyone in arena a bot? Almost all of my opponents play really fast and evolve on 4/5/6 or 5/6 like clockwork even when there might be a better play later.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

No Wave posted:

Is everyone in arena a bot? Almost all of my opponents play really fast and evolve on 4/5/6 or 5/6 like clockwork even when there might be a better play later.

Doubtful they're bots, they're probably worried about tempo loss

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Evolve is so often a button that says "fix your problems right now" that it can be really hard to have the discipline to hold back.

If you're the control side (as opposed to beatdown, whether you're playing a fast deck or not), you can pretty often exploit that when people spend evolves to force face damage. Greedy smorcs are so insanely common and they never seem to learn from getting punished.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

Some decks may as well just evolve as soon as possible, nothing wrong with that, specially in arena where the other guy having some themis or whatever is less likely.

I've tried both approaches and I've won games thanks to the extra 2 damage from evolving quick or by having some of my cards survive that I would have lost otherwise, specially against classes that have very powerful late game. I've also won games by getting as much value from my evolutions as possible but that is also risky. There is also people that get really greedy with their evolves (specially dragon players and their stupid Forte) and those, in my experience, are the easiest to beat.

What I tend to do is to guess by their plays if they are baiting me or not, but arena is so inconsistent that I doubt I can actually guess correctly most of the time. So, basically, if evolving will let me go for lethal one turn earlier (taking into account my cards in hand and that the opponent will likely clear 1-2 guys on my board) I just go for it.

In any case, Arena is so tempo based that just going hogwild should help people who are not that good at the game.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 4, 2016

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Hope the new expac shakes things up and ruins haven :v:. gently caress Elanas and that random seraph tossed in while you can't end the game soon enough against all the heals with the board clear.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you're the control side (as opposed to beatdown, whether you're playing a fast deck or not), you can pretty often exploit that when people spend evolves to force face damage. Greedy smorcs are so insanely common and they never seem to learn from getting punished.

Nah, evolving for face is almost always the right play in aggressive decks. If they lose, it's not because they evolved too early, but because they ran out of momentum and cards (usually following a big Ward follower or board clear). Not evolving in that situation would've just made the situation even worse.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Drakes posted:

Hope the new expac shakes things up and ruins haven :v:. gently caress Elanas and that random seraph tossed in while you can't end the game soon enough against all the heals with the board clear.

But that's how I beat other Elanas!

Actually, when there are too many Elanas (and D-Shifts, there are way too many of them around) I just switch to banner. Because, at least in the B ranks, banner beats Elana 8-2. I just had a game where the Elana player (with 3 themis in hand) was all "You must forgive me" :smug: and I just steam-rolled his rear end anyways. By the third themis, when I dropped my second banner, somehow the sorrys stopped.

But those D-Shift assholes! They are the worst players because not even once I have seen them just win. They *have* to BM. Seems like it is a prerequisite to play the most boring, scumbag deck in the game.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
D-shift has the ability to bm unlike any other class and honestly if they don't they aren't playing it right.

Falling Cat
Nov 4, 2012

I conserve angular momentum
Surprisingly I've only run into one D-Shift player that BM'd, though that might be because I'm rank C and have only faced like 5-6 of them.

Also holy poo poo, I just ran into Elana haven in take-two. Turn 2 aria, turn 3 elana's and then a bunch of removal and heals the rest of the game. For a second I thought I was playing constructed, that was brutal (I lost horribly).

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
BM? Bowel movement?

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

trucutru posted:

But those D-Shift assholes! They are the worst players because not even once I have seen them just win. They *have* to BM. Seems like it is a prerequisite to play the most boring, scumbag deck in the game.

Look at this scrub who can't even emote 12 times in a row :smug:

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

Always evolve early if it means 2 extra face damage in aggro decks. You will be kicking yourself later when you're one off lethal with your finisher because you weren't aggressive early.

There's also quite a few cheap cards that can clear followers with low defense, the most common be Cudgel. Evolving for extra defense to protect your offense is a good plan. You have to take the risk of them not running dance of death because that's the card that ruins early evo aggro strategies.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
As an aside, in my experience while Elana is definitely strong, it is so incredibly weak to being teched against that it should never be that dominant in the meta. If they run Seraph things are a lot sketchier but you should probably be running 1x Odin in all late game decks anyway.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Clarste posted:

Nah, evolving for face is almost always the right play in aggressive decks. If they lose, it's not because they evolved too early, but because they ran out of momentum and cards (usually following a big Ward follower or board clear). Not evolving in that situation would've just made the situation even worse.

In aggressive decks yeah but I'm talking in the more general sense. Beatdown vs. Control in terms of which role you're put into in the match, regardless of what your archetype is. You might be the beatdown in a Take Two match but you're still probably playing a tempo oriented pile of whatever you could put together just like your opponent. In those situations I still see so many people pop evolves just to force damage and get punished for it. Force that extra 2 damage now and get punished when a Themis or Fafnir or Death's Breath or something leaves you on the back foot.

Unrelated: I hit A2 today!

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 4, 2016

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In aggressive decks yeah but I'm talking in the more general sense. Beatdown vs. Control in terms of which role you're put into in the match, regardless of what your archetype is. You might be the beatdown in a Take Two match but you're still probably playing a tempo oriented pile of whatever you could put together just like your opponent. In those situations I still see so many people pop evolves just to force damage and get punished for it. Force that extra 2 damage now and get punished when a Themis or Fafnir or Death's Breath or something leaves you on the back foot.

Unrelated: I hit A2 today!
This was my perspective as well... I see people evolve while they're ahead in take two more often than not, and while it's correct to do so sometimes, usually it seems like you shouldn't.

Last draft had a Prince of Darkness who cheesed two of my four wins... The second was completely criminal (Astaroth into the 7 damage spell)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

nftyw posted:

BM? Bowel movement?

bad manner, it's Starcraft lingo, but really means the same thing

Falling Cat
Nov 4, 2012

I conserve angular momentum
Are the emblems/card sleeves from ranked score rewards unique to each month like Hearthstone's monthly cardbacks?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm pretty sure the best thing in Shadowverse is beating a Forte with Forte sleeves and Forte deck and Forte emblem. Even better when it's by a landslide:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/199678444173199146/CCD4E8610D4D808379CABCA647F1393473889427/

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm pretty sure the best thing in Shadowverse is beating a Forte with Forte sleeves and Forte deck and Forte emblem. Even better when it's by a landslide:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/199678444173199146/CCD4E8610D4D808379CABCA647F1393473889427/

Yeah, but he didn't draw forte :colbert:

I know because I have forte-sense.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Even better is Cudgeling their Forte, bonus points if it was a topdeck

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

I would evolve Forte just to kill a single Elf Child May because that poo poo being bounced back to hand and perfectly targeting my 1 defense followers triggers me so hard. It's the third best soft-ward next to Tia and Lord of the Flies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Ephraim posted:

It's the third best soft-ward next to Tia and Lord of the Flies.

"You gotta see me dance!, laa-la-la-laa, oh yeah!"

• Locked thread