Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Station Fire dude wins the thread. Geez.

Slint was the worst act I have seen. Their fans were super into it but I thought they were trash. Just very poor musical ability.

Second place is Flaming Lips. The lights were too loving bright to even tolerate, even with sunglasses on at night. I was really bummed because they sounded great, just couldn't handle the intense lighting. Seen plenty of big name EDM acts and never seen anything as intense as Flaming Lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

revmoo posted:

Station Fire dude wins the thread. Geez.
Not Station Fire. It's the Oakland rave or whatever.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
marilyn manson

he kept touching his weiner and just being weird so i left

slayer was good as always tho

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

symbolic posted:

Not Station Fire. It's the Oakland rave or whatever.

It's a post on Reddit from some dude who was at the Oakland rave fire

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

CRINDY posted:

It's a post on Reddit from some dude who was at the Oakland rave fire
I know. It looked like a copy&paste so I looked it up.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

GuitarJunkie posted:

Blood Brothers opening for Coheed and Cambria. Constant piercing feedback, drummer seemed to have difficulty keeping the beat, they frantically flailed their skinny limbs but it was worse than a high school talent show.

Same, I think it was around 04? Good Apollo tour, then Coheed had a terrible mix, couldn't hear poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy poo poo I just looked that rave fire up and the DJ/survivor they interviewed is someone I used to know pretty well. Glad they are ok.

I thought that story was from the Great White thing.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

IoT posted:

The Velvet Underground at Wembley Arena sometime in the 90's. The band were actually pretty good but the venue was huge, we had tickets so far back that I don't think it was possible to be further from the stage and the sound was pretty crap. The absolute worst was that 99% of the audience was sat down for 99% of the gig. Literally no atmosphere whatsoever :(

I had a similar experience with Page and Plant back in like 98 or so. I saw them at the Alamodome, but our tickets were so lovely we were under some overhang and the acoustics just made the music a garbled mess.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

pr0p posted:

Memphiskapheles at a small hole in the wall club. There was maybe 20 people there including the band and they played one song in it's entirety and spent most of the set ordering drinks through the mic.

i fuckin love mephiskapheles and this makes me like them even more

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Hands down Weezer. They loving sucked live.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've taken my wife to see Lady Gaga twice, because she adores her. Gaga puts on a great show, but the opening acts she had each time were two of the worst live performances I've ever seen and heard: a noisy glam(?) rock band called Semi-Precious Weapons, and pop singer Jason Derulo, who is like a third-rate Chris Brown -- and Chris Brown is pretty second-rate himself. Both openers seemed to go on forever.

Some cool kids in my 11th grade English class made me a mixtape of Phish, back in 1994. I liked it at the time, and I got all the Phish studio albums that were available then, and listened to them and analyzed everything I could about their music. I realized their lyrics were stupid, but the musicianship was top-notch. I jumped at the chance to see Phish live in 1996, my freshman year of college, but the show was awful. Just plain boring. The band never spoke a word to the audience -- not a "HELLO, ________!" or a "HOW'S EVERYBODY DOING TONIGHT?" or a "THANK YOU FOR COMING TO SEE US!" I thought they were supposed to be this legendary live band, but they just noodled around for what felt like hours without acknowledging the crowd. It was musical masturbation at its worst, and I was playing a lot of jazz myself back in those days, so I knew from improvisation. On top of that, I didn't do drugs, and I must have been the only person in that arena audience who didn't. And that was the grossest, smelliest audience I've ever been in the middle of. I just felt completely out of place, ripped off, and I never liked Phish as much again after seeing them live.

I realized eventually that I have no patience at all for jam bands, because another time in college, I went with a girl to see Widespread Panic, even though neither of us were into them. We couldn't make it through three songs without getting bored and leaving.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Snoop Dogg came to my city back in the day and my mates decided to go see him. The opening act was Cassidy who was a poo poo rapper, he only played his hustler song and then spend most of the time talking about random crap. He started to play a new song from his new album but stopped halfway saying that it was too new for us to handle.

Snoop Dogg was a disaster. He was so late, over an hour, and the crowd was pissed off. The setup was horrid and too much bass, you could barely hear anything yet at the same time our ears were in such pain, if I have hearing problems later in life I'm blaming that drat concert.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
pretty much most hip hop shows in the UK are bad because they never seem to manage to set up the sound correctly.

the best was when Pharoe Monch played Clockwork (RIP) in Bristol about 10 years ago. This club was basically one big room with a massive sound system comprising two stacks left and right.

I was standing there in the middle of the place during the warm up act and was chatting to my friends "oh it doesn't sound like the left speaker stack is on" a few of them concurred.

So I went to one of the rappers of the warm up act and was like "dude I don't think the left stack is on" and he told me to speak to the sound engineer (which is what I should have done first of all).

Head to the sound board at the back of the room and tell the engineer "erm, I don't think the left stack is on".

I don't recall him saying anything, but he looks at the mixing desk and pushes up the fader on the left channel to finally have the sound where it should be.

Left scratching my head wondering how the gently caress a sound engineer manages to miss one whole stack of speakers not running at any volume.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I saw Clinic with Ratatat opening. Ratatat played for about 20 minutes and the dudes looked like they were going to pass out. Clinic played for 35 minutes and then just said "there will be no encore" and left. It's was sad because both bands (used to) make good music.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Paradosio at red rocks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bip Roberts posted:

I saw Clinic with Ratatat opening. Ratatat played for about 20 minutes and the dudes looked like they were going to pass out. Clinic played for 35 minutes and then just said "there will be no encore" and left. It's was sad because both bands (used to) make good music.

lol i'd want my money back

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

That reminds me of one of the best gigs I've ever been to: Type O Negative. Pete Steel was so huge that wine bottles looked like beer bottles in his hand, and he got through a whole bunch of them and never appeared visibly drunk. :rip:

I remember Peter Steel playing his bass by just beating it with his wine bottle like a club at one show I went to. It actually didn't sound bad. Type O was so good live. :(

edit: They should really show that Great White footage in schools. Ever since watching that I've made mental checks of all the exits of clubs and showspaces when I get there, and probably would have noped the gently caress out of that pallet-staired warehouse death trap.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 4, 2016

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

Did great white at least rock out first?

for about 45 seconds

then the singer goes wow that's not good and a hundred people die

Vyro Ingo
May 20, 2013
Paradise Lost, both at a festival and our local rock club. Shame since I used to be into them on CD but on stage they look and sound like they could not honestly give any less fucks.

Made worse by the fact that the support at the rock club (Leaves Eyes) and the following act at the festival (Ginger and the Wildhearts) were amazing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Spiritualized, twice.

First was at Riverside church in Manhattan, a cathedral sized place that seemed perfect so I pounced on tickets the second they went on sale. I got the absolute worst seats in the house, upper balcony at the far back. The sound was garbage up there, just impossible to hear anything. Sucked that I had roped a few friends into going too, I just had to apologize a bunch, those tickets weren't cheap.

Then a couple years ago I saw them at a small venue, a party in brooklyn. I thought this would have to be better since now I can just walk right up front. Nope. They looked like they were forced to be there and would have rather been doing anything else. J Spaceman, the main dude, just sat in a chair the whole time and read the songs from sheet music. He doesn't even know his own songs?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Did they at least play Cop Shoot Cop? I bet they were on the cop ends of that story.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I went to an album release party for a band i don't even remember the name of for the opening acts.

They played a weird rear end set where some songs were bizarre synth heavy dance beats with lots of use of tape loop dubbing and then the lead singer would mute all that and play emotional piano solos.

I was really confused about all the white girls drinking fruity cocktails during the predominantly hip hop openers but then it all fell into place.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sponge Baathist posted:

Did they at least play Cop Shoot Cop? I bet they were on the cop ends of that story.

Not that I can recall, but I stated bitchily wandering around one I realized they didn't give the slightest poo poo.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Sponge Baathist posted:

I'd be pissed if they didn't at least play that, they played it at Coachella when I saw them. Spaceman always looks like he's about to die, though, makes me nervous.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I saw the White Stripes about 10 years ago and they just loving stood there and occasionally swayed. I think the girl was wasted.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

remigious posted:

I saw the White Stripes about 10 years ago and they just loving stood there and occasionally swayed. I think the girl was wasted.

I saw them in SF in 2005 and thought they were awesome

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Runner up: Eyehategod opening up for the Deftones/Pantera/White Zombie show. Singer said they weren't going to stop playing feedback until the crowd got into it, which they never did so they just blasted feedback for like 5 minutes straight. Then the singer kept going on about how he loved huffing paint.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Eyehategod feedback rules, I'd be much happier with five minutes of that than anything by those other bands.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah that sounds way more entertaining than watching any of those other bands

unless it was a white power day for phil anselmo

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I went to a Christian music festival at Disney World, where they had a bunch of bands I didn't know but you got to ride the rides late at night. Anyways I had no interest in the bands, like maybe if they had Switchfoot or something id check that out but nah. My friends decide we just GOTTA see some group called Red instead of riding space mountain again and I fell asleep on the ground while they played

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Electric Six like... 6-7 years ago. Valentine was drunk as gently caress and slurring and the loving keyboardist wasn't even there so it sounded like poo poo. Some fat gently caress tried to start a mosh pit for 30 minutes by repeatedly slamming into a row of women, but the highlight was another guy finally punched him in the face for knocking his girlfriend over and they both got dragged out. Like their tunes, will never give them money again.

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

TwoStepBoog posted:

I saw Brian Wilson this summer. He forgot a lot of lyrics, sat at his piano without playing while looking very lost, and occasionally said bizarre poo poo at crowd members. Mental illness and a history of heavy drug use will leave your brain in a pretty bad place.
He had Al Jardine and a really good backing band with him, though, so it was still good poo poo.

Saw Wilson at P4K it was the most depressing thing I've witnessed. The sound was so low it was difficult to hear him. That poor sick man. It left me very :smith: Everclear is the worst

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

JnnyThndrs posted:

Spaceman always looks like he's about to die, though, makes me nervous.

That's how you know the poo poo he's copping and shooting and copping is good.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Aw Jesus, I saw Guns n' Roses at a festival in, what, '02? '04? Something like that. They started an hour and a half late, which is a deadly loving sin at festivals, and then they played a set where they'd play one song before Axl disappeared for twenty minutes, leaving his feckless band to "jam" confusedly until he came back on with a new hairstyle. This happened three times before my dad and I hosed off and never mentioned it again.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

in hindsight, the Incubus show I saw freshman year of high school was probably pretty bad.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Puppy Galaxy posted:

in hindsight, the Incubus show I saw freshman year of high school was probably pretty bad.

I saw Incubus a few years ago. They started their set like 15 mins early, didn't interact with the crowd at all and didn't do an encore. It was 2012 so not really their heyday but man that was probably the laziest show I've ever seen.

Turbo-Pharaoh
Jan 9, 2011
I went to X-Fest once and it wasn't too bad of a concert but the only thing that ever stuck with me from it was when a guy a couple seats down threw up into his beer and then immediately chugged the cup.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Mars Volta pretty much the worst poo poo I've ever seen. Just a wall of random noise while the lead singer did some kind of spastic polio dance. I guess that's what the avant garde hipsters thought was cool in 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diapernjeans
Mar 6, 2015

Wizard Master posted:

I saw Coolio when I was in sixth grade and he sucked poo poo. He kept stopping mid-song to talk about practicing safe sex and he was constantly out of breath. Overall a very disappointing experience. I saw The Mars Volta not long after Deloused came out and they were awful as well. Tell me about the worst gigs you've seen

when i went your moms house still good to go at 74 age

• Locked thread