Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

They'd be fools to go faithless. If the Right believed they lost fair and square the red states might be pushing for secession right now instead of California, but they'd have accepted the results. But if they think they've been cheated? It doesn't matter whether the electors flipped legally or not, they'll revolt. And I could hardly blame them.

But if it makes you feel better, the MSM isn't going to cover for Trump the way they do for Democrats. Quite the opposite, actually. And even a Republican Congress isn't going to just roll over on everything. Trump can get a lot done, especially during his honeymoon period, but he'll face much more scrutiny and resistance from the powers-that-be than Obama did or Clinton would have.

I really don't want to clog up the thread with politics any more than it has been, but I disagree with literally everything you posted in this. :v:

We can pick it up in PM though if you want to discuss further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

I really don't want to clog up the thread with politics any more than it has been, but I disagree with literally everything you posted in this. :v:

We can pick it up in PM though if you want to discuss further.

Nah, I'm not really looking for a debate so much as trying to calm things down a bit so we can get back to enjoying the LP. I don't really want LP threads getting clogged up with politics either, as that's not what I come here for.

But thanks for keeping the disagreement civil. :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

Nah, I'm not really looking for a debate so much as trying to calm things down a bit so we can get back to enjoying the LP. I don't really want LP threads getting clogged up with politics either, as that's not what I come here for.

But thanks for keeping the disagreement civil. :)

I'm a chill rear end C-SPAM poster, not a D&D jerk :cool:

Anyway, it turns out I completely missed a secret room so I have to go back and record that bit. First draft is done though! Preproduction should begin soon.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Oh, speaking of getting politics out of the thread... Chokes, are you planning to keep that username?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

Oh, speaking of getting politics out of the thread... Chokes, are you planning to keep that username?

I asked ZDR to change it back but heard nothing. Once I have the money, you bet your rear end it's changing back.

Anyway update time!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Okay people, break's over! Let's get back on set.

Gimme a sec to get into character.

You're such a good method actor, Frank.

He literally doesn't act any different off the set.

See? Just the best.

Wut up!

Well, look who finally decided to show up.

Yeah, the star of this whole loving train wreck, that's who. You're lucky I'm even doing this. Now, what's my motivation for this scene?

Unbridled greed.

I can work with that.

Wha—for crying out loud, can someone please get the key grip off the set?

Mr. Chokes? I'm really sorry to bother you, but the producers wanted me to tell you something.

Okay, so. Don't freak out...

Canto VI, Stanza 2: Bargain Discount Days

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY CUT THE ANIMATION BUDGET

I told you not to freak out!

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THIS WITHOUT ANIMATION

improvise

SHUT UP

So, bit of a problem here. Apparently, the video file for this and the next two stanzas are completely corrupted.

Bandicam (the LP software I use) will happily wander off without writing the final MOOV atom if you close the game before you stop recording. This is a problem, as MP4s will not play without said atom, period. There's software that can get it to work, but I recorded with QuickSync on, which skips frames that don't change. This screws up the timing with the new MOOV atom. Bottom line? I lost about 60% of the recorded video. The rest is a completely untenable slideshow of random screenshots.

I was able to extract what frames are left, and it's enough to cobble something together. Still, the next three updates are going to be a little rough. Bear with me, we'll back to our regular production standards soon enough I hope.

Now... Lights, camera, action!

But we don't have a scri—

I SAID ACTION

Fine. Sheesh.

Hey, chief?

I told you to go before we left!

Naw, it's not that. I got something to tell you. And you're not gonna like it.

Whatever. Just spit it out.

Willow's planning a mutiny.

What

Are you seriously that surprised?

Well, no. But still! What in the gently caress!

Relax, I got an idea. She's on Level 3 right now. Wait for her to clear it out, then come in behind and catch her off guard.

And let her get all the loot? Bullshit.

You can get the loot after you kill her.

Like I said, wait until she clears floor 3, then ambush her. God drat, I'm good.

The best, chief. The best.

!

Well, looks like I've got myself a rival summoner. This should make things interesting around here, at least for a little while.

I think he's callin' you out, boss.

What the—this will not stand, you hear me? This! Will! Not! Staaaaaaaaand

I can't see, he's blinded me, I've been foiled by my own hubris

Can we go work for the other guy instead?

Ehn. Better the devil you know.

rrrrr

These are his minions? This is scrub tier bargain basment poo poo.

Wow. Racist much?

You do remember who you're talking to, right?

I'm with the boss. If this is what we got waitin' for us, I ain't impressed.

I can't believe he's calling me out with game this weak. He's like a cheap Kandarian knockoff of me.

I bet his horns are made out of plastic, too.

The chief's aren't?

Says the guy in a pleather coat.

God loving dammit you assholes, it's leather

Here's something you don't see a lot of in Paper Sorceror: a gimmick level! As you wander around this floor, you'll be subjected to random encounters with some really weak undead monsters. They're easy enough to take out, but there's a lot of them, and they're really irritating to work your way through. Say what you want about the Sorceror, but at least he puts quality over quantity. Kind of.

Enough jibber jabber, eat murder magic

No don't use Soul Steal on the undead don't use

*heal* :slick:

...wut?

Isn't that s'posed to hurt him?

I guess not?

We're not even safe in our own coffins anymore. :smith:

In most games, using a drain spell against the undead results in a nasty reversal of fortune. Here, it just... does what it always does. I don't get it, but I'm not arguing!

At any rate, you'll be fighting these dorks constantly, which is made even worse by...

Is it just me, or are we going around in circles?

I know exactly where we are, Vlad. At all times.

Which is why we've walked around ths room twenty times.

I'm, uh, just trying all these rings in case one of them triggers a secret passage.

Haven't we pulled this ring three times already? I'm pretty sure we have.

And we're going to keep pulling it until it works!

What about that one over there?

Wha?

The suspiciously single ring. Right there.

(Uh, Chokes? The FPS is in the shot. Shouldn't we— )

KEEP ROLLING

:sigh:

*shuffles script*

"That's brilliant, Frank!"

Yeah, I got my moments.

*tug*

OW WHAT THE gently caress BOSS

Frank said to pull the single ring!

THAT WAS IN MY NOSE

See?

Huh. All dis time, and I never knew.

:ughh:

SUP, GET IN THE STONE BITCH

oh poo poo oh poo poo um uh

What's an "AAAAA"?

So long as it fits in the stone and gets us another level of the catacombs, I don't give a gently caress. Lootin' time!

Well now.

:whatup:

Obsidian Plate's already ridiculous, so let's throw an HP bonus on top! Why not? Who's gonna stop us? No one, that's who. No one.

This particular landmark aside, there's a lot of these square rooms, and they all look the exact same. It's incredibly easy to get turned around so badly that you have no idea where you are anymore, let alone how to get out. And the entire time, you not only have to deal with the weenie flood, but also...

I've been infected by the undead

That's... not really how it works.

Quick cut off the arm before I turn, it's the only way to save me

On it! Hold still, this'll sting a little.

Oh. I guess that works, too.

You guys. I don't even.

Poison is easy enough to get rid of, but if you're not paying attention and/or don't have the right party members, it'll carry over between fights. Sleeping in your bed won't cure it, either. Fortunately, you won't lose HP wandering around like in other games, but you will get a very annoying surprise in the next fight. It does eventually wear off on its own, but it's a lot of hassle and Energy to keep up with. If you don't have a healer, you'll want to break open your supply of Mending Potions. (Assuming you have some.)

On the other hand, if you don't have a healer, you're probaby turbofucked for the rest of the game anyway. Good luck!

argh

ARGH

ARGH

Where are these guys even coming from?! There's not this many dead people in the book!

If we get out of this, me and Death are gonna have a little talk about his immigration policies.

You mean when we get out of this. Right?

Right. What did I say?

Hey, daylight!

Torch light.

Whatever.

It's important! I sunburn easily!

Don't you burst into flames and burn to ash?

I sunburn really easily.

Maybe if you'd get out of your goddamn basement every once and a while...

It's not a basement! It's a crypt!

Oh, your parents own a crypt now?

Heh heh.

Hoo boy. If this is what I'm up against, I should be done by lunchtime.

Hey, gently caress you too, buddy!

Whoops. Left the mic on.

Hot mics: bane of PA systems everywhere.

Don't think you have escaped me yet, our playtime is far from over.

...playtime?

That's what he said.

Is widdle babby still in his playpen right now? Does he need a bottle?

Sounds like he needs his diapy changed t'me.

Hey, chief?

Wha?

I think someone should run ahead and keep an eye on Willow. There's no telling what she's up to right now.

A double agent, huh? I like it!

Now all we need is a volunteer...

Well, Frank came up with it. Looks like he's it.

Dang. Riposted.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Why not use OBS to record? It's fairly lightweight, has a lot of options, and I've never run into issues with it corrupting footage.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Genocyber posted:

Why not use OBS to record? It's fairly lightweight, has a lot of options, and I've never run into issues with it corrupting footage.

because REASONS OKAY :mad:

I didn't know it existed

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Just a note since this hosed me when I tried OBS out briefly: it's really really not obvious that it supports mp4 output at all. You have to go to browse to where you're saving the file and then file type is an option in the Windows Explorer dialogue.

E: Er, I should have clarified that I meant as opposed to FLV. That's what we get for co-opting a streaming program, I guess. :v:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 14, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AlphaKretin posted:

Just a note since this hosed me when I tried OBS out briefly: it's really really not obvious that it supports mp4 output at all. You have to go to browse to where you're saving the file and then file type is an option in the Windows Explorer dialogue.

Ehn. I'm fine with AVI since I'm not posting videos to YouTube, just extracting frames from MPC-HC and making GIFs with ffmpeg/gifsicle. Still, good to know!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The occasional behind-the-black episode is still good fun! Like the director says, just roll with it.

Can we make Frank into, like, a quintuple-agent by the end of this?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Hooray, we're live again! I was slavering with anticipation on how exactly this was going to go. Still am, actually, which gets a bit messy, as you might imagine.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Welcome back, McGee. Looks like we're gonna have to hit the ground running.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
As theatre people, I feel the behind the scenes glance is the best way to handle this.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Welcome back, McGee. Looks like we're gonna have to hit the ground running.

Yes.

Away. :negative:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that random encounter rate looks ridiculous for battles as simple as those are.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Glazius posted:

Man, that random encounter rate looks ridiculous for battles as simple as those are.

It's not as bad as you'd think, but PS fights in general are irritating slogs and it's impossible to tell where on this goddamn level you are at any given time.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

It's not as bad as you'd think, but PS fights in general are irritating slogs and it's impossible to tell where on this goddamn level you are at any given time.

Seconded on the irritating slogs. Every fight has far too much padded sumo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Canto VI, Stanza 3: This LP is Now Banned in Germany

Yo.

Well, now! Come to join the party, love?

Sure. Got some intel, too—but you're not gonna like it.

No?

The chief's on to you. He's on his way up from Floor 2 to do something about it.

Oh no!

Ain't no thang, he's got the attention span of a toddler. Clean this place out quick, then you can ambush him when he gets to the end. He'll be so busy patting himself on the back that he'll never see it coming.

i like the cut of your jib

You're weird, puppet guy.

rude

Okay, you heard Frank. Let's hit 'em hard and fast. Ziggy, I need you to come out singing.

I have just the dirge for the occasion!

HEEEEEEEEEEEY YOU GUUUUUUUUUYS

That's seriously the most undignified thing I've ever seen you do.

Then you don't know me as well as you think, mate.

Witch... ghost... flesh golemn... Hey, isn't there supposed to be a guy with robes and horns? That seems like a thing that should definitely be there.

Light 'em up!

blargh I am undone

Was it just me, or did that go a lot faster than usual?

A lot easier, too...

I suspect the quality of our fighting's related to the quality of our leadership.

Aw, you guys. You're making me blush.

Surprise! Didn't think I could gimmick a floor in this LP, did you? Well, too bad for you, because I can and did!

Due to a hilarious exploit, you can actually bench the Sorceror. It is most definitely not intentional. I know this for two reasons. First and most important, if you win a fight without a certain obnoxious horned mage in your party, the game flips the hell out. Your controls scramble, the game'll respond to the mouse like it just washed down a gram of meth with two liters of Red Bull, and it will be drat near impossible to do anything of further use.

There is, however, a workaround.

Save! Load! Continue! Jesus Christ, my PTSD over Wizardry is flaring up already. As an aside, wouldn't it be nice if you could restart-exploit in real life? Like, "Oh poo poo, I shouldn't have bought that house. Quick, restart and do a different series of loans so we end up with a different one!" Man, that would be cool. I would've been able to avoid so many poor life decisions.

So many.

Pay dirt.

And not a moment too soon!

You're not doing coke again, are you? Because I don't need the team's loot disappearing up your nose.

It's to fund the new tour, dearie. I've learned my lesson.

Good. Because it got really out of control there for a while. Remember your Fat White Duke phase?

quote:

Sieg heil! Thankyuhverymuch.

A nasty character, that one.

he was my favorite

Why am I not surprised?

Shh! There's guards on the other side.

What do you mean, "he's not there?!"

I don't know, man! I don't know!

Don't they have to stay with him the entire time? Isn't that how it works?
poo poo poo poo poo poo they're wandering around out there without him, do you know what that means?!

It means it's dyin' time, bitch

Game over man game over :gonk:

Hold still. I want to look really cool when I do this.

:c00lbert:

loot loot loot looooooooot~

Looks like this belongs to you, Zigs.

You know, this really does seem to be going a lot smoother.

Yeah. It's like they're not even fighting back.

Ooh, check it out!

dibs

Oh, hells no. :colbert:

>=(

Here's another bug with this exploit, and it's a doozy. Without the Sorceror in the team, your enemies won't attack back. They'll just sit there like retarded punching bags until you're done wrecking their poo poo—after which, you can save, reload, and continue along your merry way. In theory, this is a huge exploit that you can use for hilarious boss fight shenanigans. We will not be using it for that, because outside of having a bit of fun with the story, we're going to do a clean run with no cheating. But, it's there if you want it. If someone reading this just so happened to use it... well, I can't really be held accountable for that, can I?

Hmm. Looks like another research book...

Yeah? What's the title?

"Spirit of the Books for Dummies."

There's layers of irony there I can't even begin to unwind.

So, we break the binding, and we get out.

Which we already knew.

Hey, it says "For Dummies." What did you expect?

quote:

Hmm. Once I've dealt with Willow, we'll have to find a way out of this book.

Didn't the Spirit say we could just break the binding?

But how can we possibly escape? How?

Curse you, vile enigma of sepia and paper, I'll unravel your secrets yet

Yeah, I guess you're right.

Woah. That's a rockin' stasche. Do we have to kill him?

Oh, um. I'm actually not sure about that. Let me check the rulebook. *rustle*

Sorry about this, love. She's new.

S'alright. Take your time.

Let's see here... "Thou shalt not suffer a hero to live, nor show mercy upon the noble and pure, but spread darkness and death with all that you do."

Well, you heard the lady.

Guess so.

Even though we killed him, I feel a strange newfound respect.

Does that mean you'll let me go?

gently caress no.

RIP, Hunter Guy. Your legacy will live on.

indeed

Hey, it's a Fire Bomb! I don't think I've covered these yet, because I'm literally going four weeks between updates and this is just my hobby so gently caress you I'm not wading through this entire thread again to copyedit. :mad: Fire bombs are really good for high level non-boss fights. Use one and every hero you're facing gets a molotov to the face. Two or three of them can level the playing field real quick, and we're going to be using that to our advantage sooner than I'd like.

We're actually rocking a nifty little team here with a lot of good balance. You have Ziggy with his Magic and Strength buffs, the Puppet for straight up physical damage, and Frank to soak damage and heal status effects. It's not just an LP joke; if you could legit bench the Sorceror without the game wigging out, I'd probably roll with these guys for the next chunk of the LP. I don't particularly feel like doing a save/reload after every fight, though, and I'd rather not have all my victories handed to me.

Imma set fire to it!

Maybe we should read the plaque first.

Party pooper.

Yeah, like this mystery's gonna be solved any time s—

It's fire!

That's your answer for everything.

No, seriously. The answer is fire.

:shivdurf: You hear a ghostly voice whisper...

:ghost: Thank you

:shivdurf: You feel yourself filled with newfound power! The party's Strength has increased by 5!

See? Fire eats but stays hungry. Wish we had a water jewel, though.

Why?

Water runs and never wearies!

Frank?

Sorry, it's just... I'm not used to havin' someone smart in charge.

Agreed. It's a little disorienting.

I'm gonna take that as a complement.

If you can get us any more stat boosts, you can take it any way you want.

Made it!

That was remarkably pleasant. I wonder if this is what life is like for other summons?

Beats me. Anyway, let's set up shop at the top of the staircase. The chief won't know what hit him.

...frank?

Sorry. I was just thinkin'.

thought i smelled smoke

Shaddup, you.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well. I know a few floors that become A LOT less bullshit with that.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
:ohdear: But I like all these guys! I even like the Sorcerer, for all his faults. Why do they have to do this? Can't everyone just get along? Please?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

berryjon posted:

Can't everyone just get along?

Aaaahahahahahahahaha wooooo, good one!

Oh gods you're serious :smith:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I had to stop reading for about half a minute because I was laughing too hard after 'HEEEEEEEEEEEY YOU GUUUUUUUUUYS'. Well played, sir.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Down with the uprising! Sorcerer 4 lyfe! #ImWithHim #Horns

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CirclMastr posted:

Down with the uprising! Sorcerer 4 lyfe! #ImWithHim #Horns

It's Sorceror :rolleye:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Speaking of exploits...

I might have mentioned this previously but if you only have one of an item (such as, say, a Fire Bomb) you can still have each of your characters use it, since it doesn't vanish from the inventory until it's actually used. Not sure if this was finally patched out but it made some of the later enemies and bosses easier when you could just throw the same jar of Acid in their face again and again.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

citybeatnik posted:

Speaking of exploits...

I might have mentioned this previously but if you only have one of an item (such as, say, a Fire Bomb) you can still have each of your characters use it, since it doesn't vanish from the inventory until it's actually used. Not sure if this was finally patched out but it made some of the later enemies and bosses easier when you could just throw the same jar of Acid in their face again and again.

Cue a bunch of monsters carefully scooping the acid back up into the jar and dumping it again, over and over.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

#NotMySorcerer

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Oh gods you're serious :smith:

Because what's funnier?

The Witch settling accounts with the Sorceror in some grand climactic drama-filled showdown?
Or her trying futilely to manipulate him into doing her bidding, drawing out her agony, his obliviousness, and the rest of the party's snark? ;)

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Wow....

I know a fair amount of exploits (infinite containers, out-of-combat Vampire healing, end-game armor as early as block 3, etc...) but I did NOT know you could switch out the boss.

Anyways, I'm still rooting for the Sorceror. He makes me laugh. Willow, not so much.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 2, 2016

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

mauman posted:

Anyways, I'm still rooting for the Sorceror. He makes me laugh. Willow, not so much.

Incompetence is funny. At least, when it's happening to someone else.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

berryjon posted:

Because what's funnier?

The Witch settling accounts with the Sorceror in some grand climactic drama-filled showdown?
Or her trying futilely to manipulate him into doing her bidding, drawing out her agony, his obliviousness, and the rest of the party's snark? ;)

:heysexy:

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
The funniest part is that Sorceror is hilariously competent but acts like a goddamn fool. Those are the best characters, along with "totally evil but such a gently caress-up that they save the day" sorts.
:allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

A Pleasant Hug posted:

The funniest part is that Sorceror is hilariously competent but acts like

Let me stop you right there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Effective. He's effective. He's the Forrest Gump of villainy.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Effective. He's effective. He's the Forrest Gump of villainy.

Holy poo poo.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

To be fair, he HAS managed to accomplish a bunch of poo poo that none of the other presumably ridiculously dangerous criminals in here with him has in all the time that the book has existed. He is at the least very, very dangerous, in spite of all efforts to prove himself otherwise.

Its sort of like how adventure game protagonists like Guybrush Threepwood manage to always save the day despite blundering their way through the entire game and being hopelessly outmatched at every turn.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

GilliamYaeger posted:

To be fair, he HAS managed to accomplish a bunch of poo poo that none of the other presumably ridiculously dangerous criminals in here with him has in all the time that the book has existed. He is at the least very, very dangerous, in spite of all efforts to prove himself otherwise.

Its sort of like how adventure game protagonists like Guybrush Threepwood manage to always save the day despite blundering their way through the entire game and being hopelessly outmatched at every turn.

Okay, that, I'll give you. He really puts the "idiot" in "idiot savant."

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Thinking about it, if the witch defeats the sorcerer does that change her class to hero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

No. I, I wish I could swim.

Wages of Fear is the better film even if it's less satisfying.

• Locked thread