Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

plenty of people already have, you all are just too busy pushing your own theories about the noble savages of coal country to notice

It would be cool if mods banned for classism instead if racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Reminder that the last Make Work program was the TSA, and that was under Dubya Bush.

Well the TSA made people's lives worse rather then better. So instead of calling "make-work" programs poo poo, let's look at implementation.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 05:53 on Dec 4, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

poor white people aren't oppressed, they're just having a sad. I'm idpol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

spirit voting

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

nonsense, hating poors* is an egalitarian** tradition

*predominantly minorities
**predominantly white middle/upper class

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

Well the TSA made people's lives worse rather then better. So instead of calling "make-work" programs poo poo, let's look at implementation.

I'm saying the last time a President took part in giving jobs to people without college degrees, it was a Republican. People who have jobs because of the TSA might say that their lives are better for it, particularly the part where they get to wield power over law abiding citizens who forgot to empty their water bottles.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

LegoPirateNinja posted:

I'm saying the last time a President took part in giving jobs to people without college degrees, it was a Republican. People who have jobs because of the TSA might say that their lives are better for it, particularly the part where they get to wield power over law abiding citizens who forgot to empty their water bottles.
so do you think a progressive would do the same thing?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

There would be fierce bullshit towards anybody trying to abolish the TSA. I've heard people complain about how ridiculous the TSA is, and then somebody pipes up "it's way more ridiculous to get blown up" Argument over.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
there would be a lot more random stabbings on airplanes if not for the tsa. nothing to do with terrorism just the amount of stupid people trying to bring a pocket knife onto an airplane and then getting drunk or just belligerent and getting into fights with other passengers or crew. not to mention idiots trying to bring guns onto planes because lol i forgot it was in my bag.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Terrorists aren't going to try to hijack planes, and the ones that do will get overwhelmed by passengers, the TSA can be massively scales down.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ace of Baes posted:

Terrorists aren't going to try to hijack planes, and the ones that do will get overwhelmed by passengers, the TSA can be massively scales down.

don't have to hijack a plane, just have to make air travel unsafe through randoms acts of violence in an enclosed space with dozens or hundreds of people involved.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
same with with a bus, a subway etc
i think peeps realize that poo poo, hajicker means u gonna die

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nonsense posted:

There would be fierce bullshit towards anybody trying to abolish the TSA. I've heard people complain about how ridiculous the TSA is, and then somebody pipes up "it's way more ridiculous to get blown up" Argument over.

It could probably pass Congress if the Democrats took it up. Abolishing the TSA is one of the Koch's pet issues and they put a ton of funding into lobbying for it. This is 100% because they believe in civil rights and has nothing to do with the TSA being a large public sector unions.

Joementum has issued a correction as of 06:43 on Dec 4, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the tsa employes 55,000 people

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
not that i think they do anything useful besides that.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

there would be a lot more random stabbings on airplanes if not for the tsa. nothing to do with terrorism just the amount of stupid people trying to bring a pocket knife onto an airplane and then getting drunk or just belligerent and getting into fights with other passengers or crew. not to mention idiots trying to bring guns onto planes because lol i forgot it was in my bag.

we had metal detectors and xray machines and poo poo in airports before 9/11

getting rid of the tsa doesn't mean getting rid of airport security, it just means getting rid of an asinine bureaucracy

unfortunately that asinine bureaucracy employs a lot of people so maybe it isn't actually the best idea to get rid of

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

should we really shut down the baby poison factory? a lot of people work there

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
on second thought i hate removing my shoes so yeah the tsa gotta go

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
As the OP of this thread is there a way I can petition for a wall to keep the eternal slap fighters like Fulchrum out. We can have a big door though if they want to come back in though

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Stexils posted:

should we really shut down the baby poison factory? a lot of people work there

the TSA probably doesn't do much to keep people safe considering they're at best a reactive agency

but it isn't like they force you to walk through a machine that makes your dick smaller every time you fly

it's just a lovely annoying thing wrapped around another lovely annoying thing (flying, in general)

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

lately theres a thing where you can be buy a "prescreened" license for a few hundred bucks where you then get a priority fast lane during tsa checks

no war but class war

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The Democrats main strategy should be to appeal to the working class and non-voters. America has essentially the lowest voter turnout of any first world country. Most people in the country lean Democrat, especially non-voters. Find out what makes them tick.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Stexils posted:

lately theres a thing where you can be buy a "prescreened" license for a few hundred bucks where you then get a priority fast lane during tsa checks

no war but class war

hahaha what?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

We've already determined you're fine, nothing could possibly have happened between the time you got that licence and now

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Yeah, it's meant for frequent flyers and I would have gotten one if the process wasn't a pain in the rear end

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Was air travel pre-9/11 in your world some kind of perverse wild west or something? Cause that's not reflective of reality at all.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

Was air travel pre-9/11 in your world some kind of perverse wild west or something? Cause that's not reflective of reality at all.

yes

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Stexils posted:

no war but class war

wisdom

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

well in reality the answer was "no". Sorry, let's try to stop being pieces of poo poo, instead of hiring 55,000 pieces of poo poo and giving them power over the citizenry. tia!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm amazed to see people saying that automation and globalization are inevitable, the solution is a guaranteed minimum income and getting people to move out of rural areas and into major cities. That's Judge Dredd world. Some people read Judge Dredd comics and decided that the future depicted in them shouldn't just be not fought against, but should actively be raced towards, eyes open.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm amazed to see people saying that automation and globalization are inevitable, the solution is a guaranteed minimum income and getting people to move out of rural areas and into major cities. That's Judge Dredd world. Some people read Judge Dredd comics and decided that the future depicted in them shouldn't just be not fought against, but should actively be raced towards, eyes open.

reminder that judge dredd is the best case scenario.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Democrats main strategy should be to appeal to the working class and non-voters. America has essentially the lowest voter turnout of any first world country. Most people in the country lean Democrat, especially non-voters. Find out what makes them tick.

Bernie Sanders and his proposed policies, probably.

I'm not trying to rehash the primaries or anything like that, I promise, I feel that that's probably what these people who didn't vote wanted. Of course, my gut feeling is just my gut feeling.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Stexils posted:

no war but class war

The fee is for conducting a background check - supposedly. People with security clearances get TSA pre-checks for free I think? Maybe military too?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I hope one of the lessons learned from the primary is that the Dems should shoot for an actual rainbow coalition that views things in an intersectional manner, rather than aiming for a weird form of social justice that thinks class struggle is a distraction used by racists all while huffing their own farts about how enlightened they are in the cities despite having equal if not worse segregation in schools and neighborhoods.

To be fair, I can see how people would be rightfully worried that minority groups would be ignored and left out by a 2nd New Deal style politic, but the "gently caress all white working class people we don't even want them on our side, they must all be secret KKK members" attitude was pretty lovely.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Neeksy posted:

I hope one of the lessons learned from the primary is that the Dems should shoot for an actual rainbow coalition that views things in an intersectional manner, rather than aiming for a weird form of social justice that thinks class struggle is a distraction used by racists all while huffing their own farts about how enlightened they are in the cities despite having equal if not worse segregation in schools and neighborhoods.

To be fair, I can see how people would be rightfully worried that minority groups would be ignored and left out by a 2nd New Deal style politic, but the "gently caress all white working class people we don't even want them on our side, they must all be secret KKK members" attitude was pretty lovely.
i'm not sure it was "aimed for" as much as it was "was hook-line-and-sinker suckered into by the oligarchs that will betray them for the GOP anyway"

at present, the DNC sees that wall-street-slobbering strategy as a huge loving problem, let's hope they keep seeing it that way

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's Judge Dredd world. Some people read Judge Dredd comics and decided that the future depicted in them shouldn't just be not fought against, but should actively be raced towards, eyes open.
Goons are ready for the Judge Dredd universe though:

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

logikv9 posted:

Yeah, it's meant for frequent flyers and I would have gotten one if the process wasn't a pain in the rear end

What? I work with someone who got one and he said all he had to do was submit material for a background check and go to a screening interview. Took him like 2 weeks to receive his pass after initiating the process. (And as an AMEX cardholder, AMEX covered the cost.)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

AceRimmer posted:

Goons are ready for the Judge Dredd universe though:

Fat Acceptance, spree killings an accepted and inevitable part of modern society, we're already halfway to Judge Dredd world now

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i ignored tantrum and fulcrum and it's amazing how much easier this thread is to read now

in other news i may be starting a DSA chapter in my area if we can get enough people who aren't near enough/willing to drive to the Sac or SF chapters

really need some spanish language flyers and outreach otherwise we're pre-eliminating a wide swath of people, but i don't speak a lick of spanish

ChickenOfTomorrow has issued a correction as of 08:40 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

We definitely need to push for an expansion of the social safety net, but ultimately most people need to do some form of work to feel fulfilled. I'd caution people against underestimating the pride/shame people feel about assistance, because it does real harm in people's lives. I went to an elementary school that I now know from city records has 75% of the children attending participating in the free/reduced lunch program. I don't have past figures, but they were likely higher when I was attending because the farm crisis in the late 80's absolutely wrecked manufacturing related jobs here. As a kid I didn't know which kids were getting free/reduced lunches, but you could tell whose family was both poor and also had parents too stubborn (or simply were so neglectful/lazy to do the application paperwork) because if the parents never applied nor sent the children with money, the only thing the school would provide for lunch was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and water. So that is what those kids ate, every single lunch, for the entire time they attended school there.

There is a privately run food bank here that has done reasonably well by providing food in exchange for working a certain number of hours there to help sort and process donations. There are obviously some issues to that approach if it is the only one used, because so many people who are struggling are also overworked. It has been fairly effective at helping some of the stubborn people who would otherwise avoid food assistance entirely though.

• Locked thread